Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Hearty chuckle at CPAPE

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
The Sleep Apenea is the Official Mascot of GBS

weg
Jun 6, 2006

Reassisted Retrogression

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

The Sleep Apenea is the Official Mascot of GBS

Goons Be Snoring

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

Hollismason posted:

Coworker reheating seafood in the microwave for breakfast

NO

THAT ABSOLUTE PIECE OF poo poo, THEY KNOW WHAT THEY’RE DOING

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

:hai:

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

Casual microwaved bass and broccoli for breakfast, nbd

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
It was some sort of Thai seafood according to them.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
Every office should have a dedicated fish microwave and it should be located in the bosses office

Flowers for QAnon
May 20, 2019

Hollismason posted:

It was some sort of Thai seafood according to them.

Fish curry breakfast of champions

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
They also will eat huge salads for breakfast which is also kind of weird.

AARD VARKMAN
May 17, 1993
I like eating hard boiled eggs at my desk

Smugworth
Apr 18, 2003

AARD VARKMAN posted:

I like eating hard boiled eggs at my desk

Yup

Dixville
Nov 4, 2008

I don't think!
Ham Wrangler

AARD VARKMAN posted:

Every office should have a dedicated fish microwave and it should be located in the bosses office

:hmmyes:

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Get an induction burner or air fryer or something, seafood in the microwave...

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
The last office I worked at had a in office policy that was written down and given to you that said no hotplates at your desk because someone would come in with a hotplate and cook poo poo on it

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Hollismason posted:

The last office I worked at had a in office policy that was written down and given to you that said no hotplates at your desk because someone would come in with a hotplate and cook poo poo on it

baller af

slandergoose
Jun 24, 2023
gently caress I'm hungover, I pretty much stopped drinking to help lose some weight. Last night I had 4 beers and I feel like absolute poo poo today.

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

I'm glad I don't work in an office

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I always thought "ooga booga" was caveman for "hello" or something but someone told me it's an extremely racist thing to say :confused:

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

credburn posted:

I always thought "ooga booga" was caveman for "hello" or something but someone told me it's an extremely racist thing to say :confused:

yeah, it was originally used as a racist mockery of african languages and continues to be used in the same way against the indigenous people of australia

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

ps: this you, op?

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

wait until you find out about the word barbarian

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag

TrashMammal posted:

ps: this you, op?

Foamy rear end piss rear end motherfucker

Dr. Cool Aids
Jul 6, 2009

credburn posted:

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Ulillinguist
Dec 17, 2011

It's not easy being 40C000
Parallaxing to the Xtreme

credburn posted:

If it makes you feel any better I thought it was caveman talk too. I'm pretty sure that's from growing up seeing the captain caveman cartoons - that's how he talked. Hearing that it has another implication is news to me.

But I can also understand how people would use it to mock other languages for racism.

Seems like an innocent misunderstanding on your part. I hope the situation smoothed over quickly.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

granted, despite the term’s racist history, by current standards it can only be considered mildly and obliviously racist everywhere except for the australia thread, where everyone really should know better. it’s our c-word, op

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

i will be handing out length probations for anyone uttering "o*ga b*oga" or "OB" or any of its permutations. dont be cute, you know what it means.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club

Ulillinguist posted:

If it makes you feel any better I thought it was caveman talk too. I'm pretty sure that's from growing up seeing the captain caveman cartoons - that's how he talked. Hearing that it has another implication is news to me.

But I can also understand how people would use it to mock other languages for racism.

Seems like an innocent misunderstanding on your part. I hope the situation smoothed over quickly.

It came about because I said it, and even as I said it, I thought, "gosh it kind of sounds racist for some reason," but in my memory the only time I've ever heard it uttered was in caveman related things, or that big bouncer ape that throws the guy out of the bar in Who Framed Roger Rabbit

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

literally never heard of the O word before except as cartoon caveman grunts and i think you might be yankin our cranks here, like when folks tried to make the ok hand gesture racist

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
There are regional racist phrases. If someone says something you're doing is racist, it's probably not your job to try to convince them they're wrong

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 20:26 on Apr 3, 2024

bradzilla
Oct 15, 2004

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

i will be handing out length probations for anyone uttering "o*ga b*oga" or "OB" or any of its permutations. dont be cute, you know what it means.

now this is modding. poor canpakes

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

it’s a pretty direct path from being the go-to for racist caricatures of “savages” in popular media to being the go-to for savage cave man talk in popular media. diffused enough by the popularity of the later to obfuscate; and, perhaps disassociate it entirely; from the former

it is straight up racist in australia though

Apr 3, 2024
(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Somebody fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 3, 2024

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Arguably it appeared as caveman speak like 90 years ago in a newspaper column and meant "May I go out in the rain?" But it became associated with racist depictions in Tarzan films since they often used made-up gibberish, even if they never used those exact words in the film.

There may be some association with the middle English word "bogge" meaning "scary thing"

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

Sentient Data posted:

There are regional racist phrases. If someone says something you're doing is racist, it's probably not your job to try to convince them they're wrong

i had to do exactly that with the ok hand stuff, which is not racist or fascist or whatever just because 4chan tried to steal it

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Bad Purchase posted:

i had to do exactly that with the ok hand stuff, which is not racist

when you make the o sign with your hand its signalling the o-slur. final warning.

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
🅾️🅱️

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

cornhusker is a slur that nebraskans have reclaimed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

mods, make it sting :mad: