Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
Someone who has blown up his entire relationship because he has spent that entire relationship trying to undermine his partners giant boundary is probably not someone I would trust to be able to plan and provide longterm care to a troubled animal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
If the wife was concerned about it, she would have mentioned it.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

haveblue posted:

It sounds like the dog has major behavioral issues so taking care of it and retraining it will be a full-time job. It cannot be in the same house as preteens while those issues remain and it already has a history of biting people so it may be a lost cause :/

He also doesn't really seem to acknowledge that there's anything wrong in how grandpa takes care of the dog. Yes, maybe he's motivated by a deep concern for the dog's wellbeing and is just jumping at the chance to save the dog from a lifetime of neglect, but his reaction to an unhousebroken dog with a history of biting and running loose in the street seems to be more along the lines of "yeah cool dog!!"

Trying to foist a living creature onto someone as a surprise present, even if they hadn't explicitly said they don't want it, also doesn't really speak to having a lot of appreciation for its needs beyond being a lifestyle accessory.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed
The dog is family! It shares our blood! Well, technically it would be more accurate to say it takes our blood...

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Larry Cum Free posted:

The dog is family! It shares our blood! Well, technically it would be more accurate to say it takes our blood...

Given the dog's pooping habits, it sounds like grandpa's carpet may now be family too.

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

500excf type r posted:

What makes you think the husband won't take care of the dog

What sort of "taking care of" do you think will suffice to make this feral dog safe around a two-year-old?

500excf type r posted:

She's not concerned about being the one to take care of the helldog because she'll be gone the instant it comes near the house.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

500excf type r posted:

Why would she mention taking care of a dog that she doesn't want in the first place? That's like me talking about getting my oil changed when I never plan on owning a vehicle.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

the holy poopacy posted:

Given the dog's pooping habits, it sounds like grandpa's carpet may now be family too.

I would not be shocked if it were left outside 24/7

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Excited for my backyard to become a wasteland of poo poo and ankle breaking holes that I can't let the kids use anymore because the dog is very territorial.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Why would she mention taking care of a dog that she doesn't want in the first place? That's like me talking about getting my oil changed when I never plan on owning a vehicle.

Surprise, we all banded together to get you a car! It hasn't had any preventive maintenance and it's been in multiple accidents, but we know you're gonna love having it around. Well, have fun!

Totbot
Oct 4, 2013
The wife pretty much did say that she doesn’t trust her husband to be able to take care of the dog when she didn’t just threaten to leave, but to leave immediately with the children.

The implication of describing the dog as untrained and aggressive and talking about taking the children away from the house is that she doesn’t think the husband can/will take care of the dog in any meaningful way.

PureEvil6_13
Jun 1, 2004

I LIKE PETA AND THINK THAT SCIENCE IS EVIL

Cacator posted:

What's AFAB? All Foremen Are Bastards?

It's that military test you take in high school that's super easy and when you get your results back, recruiters point out how brilliant you are and how much of an asset you would be to the armed forces.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Surprise, we all banded together to get you a car! It hasn't had any preventive maintenance and it's been in multiple accidents, but we know you're gonna love having it around. Well, have fun!

Goddamnit crab

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Totbot posted:

The wife pretty much did say that she doesn’t trust her husband to be able to take care of the dog when she didn’t just threaten to leave, but to leave immediately with the children.

The implication of describing the dog as untrained and aggressive and talking about taking the children away from the house is that she doesn’t think the husband can/will take care of the dog in any meaningful way.

Oh yeah? Maybe she's actually afraid that the husband would dedicate himself so wholeheartedly to the care and training of the dog that he would neglect his wife and kids! Ever think of that, smart guy?

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Check out this winner of a BFF.

How do I 24M get my former best friend 25M to stop telling people I slept with his fiancé 25F?

quote:

My best friend Daniel and I were close. He moved away for a bit for school and came back in the area. When he moved he started dating this girl Nina and they been together well until recently.

This is where things started getting out of control. They end up moving here and getting a townhouse here. I haven’t been as successful as my friend but I work. My parents had given me an ultimatum join the military and I can stay there until I leave. They told me to talk to Dan about the military (Daniel was an intelligence analyst in the Army, he left active duty and commissioned in the reserve Cyber officer and works for the federal government. Not only that my dad and mom were both military so they kiss his rear end. There is unfortunately this classist sense in the DMV area where I’m from that if you not military, a contractor, or work for the feds you a piece of poo poo.

Daniel thinks I should go to the military as well but he agreed to let me stay with him for a maximum of six months. I had two months to find a job and then 4 months to save and find an apartment per our agreement. Now I’m going to say this I want to go back to school to finish my degree but no one wants to invest in me. When I went to college I wasn’t focus but I’m older and wiser now. I asked Daniel if I could go to school instead of working and he said no…He said I can try working and taking a class or two but I can’t stay more than 6 months. I was feeling annoyed with him at this point but I respect it his choice.

I was staying there his fiancé works remote. This had Nina and I spending a lot of time together on some cool poo poo 🤷🏽‍♂️ nothing crazy but I noticed it started getting more flirty. I’m going to say Nina is not the type of girl he normally gets, she is a baddie. So when I met her the first time I was shocked he pulled her. The thing was Nina and I was just vibing better and this started turning sexual. One day he found out because we were risky and tried to get one in later than usual close to before he gets home and there was an altercation and cops were called. Nothing happened though.

Anyway this leads me to the advice I need. He has since called off the wedding and moved out. I got a job and it’s just Nina in I because they are going to court over the house. They will probably end up selling it and split it 50 50 is what Nina told me. He has started telling all our mutual friends our business, our family , etc. He has let people know that they can’t be friends with both of us. They have to pick and it’s either him or me. I get him not speaking to me but he’s going out of his way to ruin my other friendships and familial relationships. Even my parents and siblings have been dry with me. I have a couple mutual friends who sided with me and he blocked them….I’m blocked but I can reach him through my parents and was wondering about ideas that can come up with a mature resolution for everyone

Edit: I’m remorseful and want to seek some forgiveness from my friend
His friend did him a solid by letting him stay with him, OP immediately changes the terms of the agreement and starts loving his friend's fiancee, friend finds out and burns OP and their friendship to the ground, OP is whining about how mean his friend is being to him. Classic.

I always love the stories where the person who is 100% in the wrong makes a play to claim the high road. I abused his hospitality and hosed his fiancee, and now he's not talking to me?!? Hmmph, how very immature! Why can't we handle this like adults.

OP is in the comments, doing himself no favors.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not including any of the neighbor’s kids into my daycare because of how they acted in the beginning?

This is such an obvious self own, like if they just took on some of the kids that lived in their building they'd immediately have pro-daycare allies among the neighbours. People's commitment to pettiness at their own expense always amazes me.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Captain Hygiene posted:

This was also an old post. Now you need to get a job to pay for gas and insurance and taking all your siblings to school, practice, games, etc…. When you go to college you can’t take it with you. And if you don’t do everything we are taking the car away. Wait what do you mean you are getting a job to buy your own car?

Hughlander fucked around with this message at 20:12 on Apr 3, 2024

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
I once lived near someone who tried to do that daycare poo poo out of their apartment, I'm not sure if they ever got it rolling bc I never saw kids, but they did put up a sign, a tiny playground in the yard...and then they built this big hideous eyesore of a fence to coral the kids. It was a shared courtyard situation so it hosed up what used to be a nice outdoor area for all the neighbors to hang out in.

I get why they'd need the fence but it was seriously like....prison-style. Tiny yard with zero plants and this neglected play equipment, and a giant towering fence.

Seeing this unused child jail every day was so loving depressing. Even when they moved away, we all still had to live with that dystopian vista.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

FMguru posted:

How do I 24M get my former best friend 25M to stop telling people I slept with his fiancé 25F?

Step 1. Build time machine.

Step 2. Travel back in time and stop your past self from sleeping with your best friend's fiancée.

Edit:

Also

quote:

When I went to college I wasn’t focus but I’m older and wiser now.

Lmao, you think so, do you?

Shanghaied fucked around with this message at 20:29 on Apr 3, 2024

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

FMguru posted:

this dude's dedication to hating the troops is next level, i support it. if we want to help him, i think the first step would be to stop sleeping with his ex fiancé, but she is a baddie and that makes it difficult.

small ghost posted:

This is such an obvious self own, like if they just took on some of the kids that lived in their building they'd immediately have pro-daycare allies among the neighbours. People's commitment to pettiness at their own expense always amazes me.

it's incredibly self defeating. it wins you nothing, makes the situation worse for everyone, and literally costs you money.

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

Tijuana-A-Go-Go posted:

yta what was the point in putting up the notice, all you're doing is antagonising your neighbours. just saying no in person to anyone who asked would have been fine, could have said "sorry we're full" or whatever. explicitly making it about people in her building was a really dumb move and she's just put herself even further down everyone's poo poo-list

OP is NTA for a few reasons:

- Neighbors left passive aggressive notes on the door about noise (instead of going to the landlord, wonder why...:iiam: ), gave her/her clients/their kids dirty looks & acted rude towards them
- She puts up a polite flyer saying she's not taking any more kids in unless they're already enrolled & some jackass gets pushy/mad about it when she explains herself
- Leads to more stupid notes being left on her door before she even starts her next round of daycare
- Everything she did was approved by the landlord, from running the daycare from home to the flyer itself

Nobody is entitled to her time or services, especially after what she dealt with - dipshits bit a hand that wasn't even feeding them & now they want to cry about it? :laffo: Get. hosed.

BOOTY-ADE fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Apr 3, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

OP is NTA but it still would have been smarter in some sense to win over some of the complainers by letting them enroll their kids

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD
More terrible names!

AITA My mom wants to name my brother Zaza and it’s loving me up inside

quote:

I (m17) found out my mom is naming my brother zaza and it breaks my heart that i’m powerless to help him. Everyone has told her this is an awful name and the only runner up is Azrael. She sent an urban dictionary definition as justification. Am I the rear end in a top hat for spending an hour pleading with her to change his name?

For clarification we’re a white middle class american family and she knows it means weed.

This one I don't even care about the story, posting it solely for the terrible names.

quote:

Throwaway because i don’t use Reddit but my friend told me to post here. I 28f Aki have two brothers Akihito 30 and Akio 28. I recently got married to my boyfriend of four years.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

OP just had to say, "Wish I could help but I'm legally full-up on the amount of children I can daycare. There's a pretty long wait-list but you're free to sign up for it."

Anyone with kids knows that's how every daycare is and only the most difficult of parents will argue with you. But when pressed she decided to poo poo where she sleeps rather than leave it.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
AITA for telling my mom she doesn't get to act like the victim when she named me after her late husband behind my dad's back?

quote:

My mom was married to another guy before she was married to my dad. Her first husband was her childhood best friend, her first and only love until he died, they started dating as teenagers and got married in their 20s and were trying to have kids when he died. They were 28. My mom never loved anyone else again. She met and married my dad. But she never loved him. She married him because she was turned down as a single adoptive parent and because people in her life told her she should find a way to be happy again.

I'm their only kid and she named me after her first husband. My dad didn't realize for years. Her husband's name was James. Like his legal name. It's the one most people used for him. But my mom called him Hunter and guess what my name is? Hunter. She told dad she just really loved the name and my dad liked it too so he agreed. He only knew her first husband as James so never made the connection.

I was 10 when my dad found out. He found some letters that he initially thought were meant for me but realized they were to the first husband. They ended up arguing for like 2 weeks straight and that's how I learned mom's feelings toward dad and why she married him. I would sit up and listen to them when I was meant to be sleeping because it weirded me out to learn I was named after her first husband.

She always had him very present in our lives. We had loads of photos in the house of him, she would talk about him a lot and it was pretty clear she was still super in love with him. I only realized last year but something she also did was switch her wedding ring from my dad out for her original wedding ring when my dad wasn't around. I remember her changing rings a lot when I was a younger kid and when they divorced she just always wore her original wedding ring.

I wanted my name changed and my dad does too but mom refuses to give her consent, which we need, and the judge has insisted both parents have to consent.

My relationship with mom is not good anyway. I'm not the kid she wanted because I'm not James/Hunters kid. But she also refuses to let me go and just let me be dad's kid. She'll sometimes try some performative parenting but mostly it's sort of like we're roommates when I'm at her house instead of dad's (I have to split my time every other week, the judge refused to let me make the decision).

My mom's house has photos of her and James all over the place. It's like a shrine to him/to them and two days ago she was crying to her former ILs that we hate her and how awful my dad is to her. When the call ended I told her she doesn't get to act like the victim when she lied to dad about my name and named me after her dead husband behind dad's back and when she won't let me change my name so I'm not creeped out by the history behind my name. She called me a self-absorbed brat and told me I will never understand her grief. I told her I understood the loss was devastating for her but she used us and never even loved us and that was lovely.

AITA?

mystes
May 31, 2006

duck trucker posted:

OP just had to say, "Wish I could help but I'm legally full-up on the amount of children I can daycare. There's a pretty long wait-list but you're free to sign up for it."

Anyone with kids knows that's how every daycare is and only the most difficult of parents will argue with you. But when pressed she decided to poo poo where she sleeps rather than leave it.
I mean, to be fair, she was initially fairly restrained about it, despite wanting to be like "gently caress you" and only said the actual reason when pressed so I don't think it's really fair to be that hard on her. It just would have been smarter to handle it differently and let them sign up for a wait list or whatever.

Kurieg posted:

AITA for telling my mom she doesn't get to act like the victim when she named me after her late husband behind my dad's back?
oh wow that's insanely dumb of the mom

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Kurieg posted:

This is sad and mom obviously has major issues but how old is OP? Surely that rule stops applying at 18

mystes
May 31, 2006

haveblue posted:

This is sad and mom obviously has major issues but how old is OP? Surely that rule stops applying at 18
They said in a comment that it's two years until they turn 18

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Kurieg posted:

Jesus loving Christ. This poor kid.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Shanghaied posted:

I was gonna say, naming your kid after the archangel of death might be kinda :black101:, but then I remembered you would also be naming it after Gargamel's cat, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Shanghaied posted:

More terrible names!

This one I don't even care about the story, posting it solely for the terrible names.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not letting my sister know the name chosen for my baby?

quote:

I'm (38f) pregnant with my first, and probably only, child. My sister (36f) is also pregnant but this is her third child and this baby comes several years after her last child who is 8 years old. I struggled with fertility problems for many years. I could not get pregnant despite trying from the age of 24. We underwent numerous tests but no clear reason for this was ever found. We tried taking breaks between trying, we tried fertility medications in recent years and finally, last year, we went through IVF which was successful for us.

You might wonder what this has to do with the name of my baby. Well, let me explain. My husband and I had a boy and a girl name chosen from pretty much the time we started trying for a baby. These were names we promised to use whenever we had a baby, and we had planned to have at least 2 children. Those names stayed "the names" throughout everything. But when my sister was pregnant with her first child, she and her husband struggled to agree on a name. She mentioned mine and my husband's chosen names once during my pregnancy and said how lucky we were to have agreed. Then when her daughter was born she decided to use the girl name my husband and I had chosen. And she confessed that is how the name was decided on. She said her husband liked our chosen name and she didn't think it was bad so she decided it would be better for them to use it so their baby could have a name. She told me not to look upset (because admittedly I got emotional when she said this) and told me at least the name would be used. Then when her son was born she used the name we had chosen for the same reason; they couldn't agree on another name.

This did strain our relationship and I was and still am hurt that she was so dismissive of my feelings and so blunt about what they did. She implied pretty strongly that she expected I would never have children to use the name for. Then a couple of years after her son was born she made the comment that we agreed so easily we could find another name if it worked, implying that we could not/should not use the names anymore.

We ended up mixing our boy choice and our girl choice for this baby. Both had a unisex name in them and we decided, since we loved all four names mixing them wasn't a huge change. My sister won't like this. But honestly, we don't see each other much anymore. She only reached out more now because we're both pregnant at the same time and she has asked repeatedly about the name we have chosen. I have refused to tell her. But my two brothers know. They thought I should have used the original name as intended and give our sister the middle finger. But they also understand why we chose to mix them.

She sent me a very pissy text a few nights ago saying I'm being so petty and these babies should grow up close together and we should be working on our relationship and instead I am excluding her and making a point of saying I don't want her to know anything.

AITA?
Comments are saying she needs a new name for kid #3

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
Tell the sister a terrible fake name. Pnurtis her up and laugh.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Desert Bus posted:

Tell the sister a terrible fake name. Pnurtis her up and laugh.
Wasn't there a story in the previous thread where someone actually told someone who was stealing their baby names an awful fake name and it worked?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

mystes posted:

Wasn't there a story in the previous thread where someone actually told someone who was stealing their baby names an awful fake name and it worked?

AITA for tricking my sister into giving her kid a stupid name

quote:

My sister and I were pregnant at the same time. We started discussing baby names and I said I would not tell her the one my husband and I chose for our son. My sister is kind of a jerk and always enjoyed taking things that meant a lot to me when we were growing up.

Well she begged and begged and even got our mom involved. I finally told her I was naming my son after my husband's grandfather. Classic old name like Herbert or Ambrose.

Sure enough she has her baby and low and behold his first name is the name I told her.

She said it was always on her list and it wasn't like it belonged to me.

I guess she expected me to blow a gasket or something.

When my son was born I gave him the name my husband and I agreed on. It suits him and he is perfect.

My sister is telling everyone I tricked her into giving her son a goofy name.

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Zaza is just a dumb name for a child outside the weed thing but that kid would also end up getting Dracula Flowed by weird Middle Aged Men randomly as they grew up so that might be exciting and confusing for them.

Captain Fargle
Feb 16, 2011

Goddamnit. I keep getting mixed up by Corky's av not being Shrek anymore.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

AITA for not telling my bf that my dad/family is “rich”?

quote:

So, my bf “Callum” and I have been together for 8 months, and over this long weekend I figured it would be a good time for him to meet my dad.

He has met my mom and stepdad a couple of times, but always at restaurants or my place. But for this meeting with my dad we went over to his place for lunch.

Looking back on it, Callum was immediately uptight when he saw where my dad lives, but I thought it was just nerves. He was acting pretty strange all through lunch, and was very cagey about any questions my dad or his wife asked. But again, I chocked it up nerves.

Well, when we were driving back he blew up (not yelling or anything, just clearly frustrated) that I never told him my dad is rich. I was confused and asked why he’d need to know my dad’s income. Callum said he would have prepared himself better if he’d known and that I sent him in there “blind” because you’re meant to warn your partner or potential pitfalls when they meet your parents. I was still confused what about my dad’s tax bracket was a potential pitfall. I could see warning him if my dad was incredibly snobbish about dress sense or manners but he isn’t. Callum then asked if I’d also “hidden” that my mom and stepdad were rich which I admitted I guess I did, although I take issue with him calling it hiding something, it’s just not relevant.

Callum hasn’t let it go and is now digging into irrelevant stuff such as my previous vacations, my living situation, and my job, apparently so he can figure out what exactly my “lifestyle” is. I think he’s totally lost the plot. But up until now he’s been a really sweet, unassuming, chill person so I’m wondering if I really am the problem?

To clarify, my parents are not rich like what you would think of when you think rich. Both my dad and stepdad have been successful and been able to give themselves and their kids nice lives but we aren’t the Waltons. And even if we were, is this a thing you “warn” people about???

quote:

My parents are 1%ers by every scale I’ve seen. Could I not work if I didn’t want to? Yes. Could the next 10 generations of my family not work? No. So, by my scale no they’re not loaded.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
Omg he totally lost the plot bc like, we can't be rich, it can't support ten generations!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Part of the 1% of turbo rich, but they don't own Wal-mart, so it's not THAT rich!