Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That's my secret, Captain...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

W.T. Fits posted:

Dual lands that ETB tapped unless you lost your last game with that deck.

Would I unironically be a good alchemy card imo

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
typed dual lands that can't etb unless you pay a hundred dollars each time

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

Typed dual lands that ETB with stun counters on them.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN
A reprint of price of progress in every set

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Dual Land ETB untapped. No mana ability. Tap to have had tapped this land.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Reverse shocks. Typed, etb tapped unless you have an opponent gain 2 life. And hell, print them at uncommon.

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
the original dual lands in the common land slot of a normal booster.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Fajita Queen posted:

Reverse shocks. Typed, etb tapped unless you have an opponent gain 2 life. And hell, print them at uncommon.

Man, those would be among the most expensive uncommons in the game instantly. So much better than shock lands.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Typed triome etb untapped but all opponents draw a card.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Zurai posted:

Man, those would be among the most expensive uncommons in the game instantly. So much better than shock lands.

Heal 1 more anytime it's tapped.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Khanstant posted:

Heal 1 more anytime it's tapped.

That's just Grove of the Burnwillows+

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
2 HP Tax for them being typed.

I wouldn't hate if they finished the burnwillows cycle, complete with hilarious frame. I assume they won't since it would just be a straight upgrade for any expanded format decks that don't care about enemy life total.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I want a commander program so bad...

Party Miser
Apr 1, 2011
whoa, i want burnwillow type lands. I've never heard of it before and it's the only one??? I especially want it in my marchesa deck.

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Party Miser posted:

whoa, i want burnwillow type lands. I've never heard of it before and it's the only one??? I especially want it in my marchesa deck.

It was part of the Future Sight land cycle where every allied pair got a different type of land. The BR one (Graven Cairns) got a full cycle in Shadowmoor/Eventide, the GW one (Horizon Canopy) got a cycle in Modern Horizons (2?), the UB one (River of Tears) was janky and people didn't like it so it's not likely to come back, the UW one (Nimbus Maze) was neat and hasn't gotten reprinted yet though I think it should, and then in GR you had Grove of the Burnwillows which is one of the most broken lands ever printed due to its interaction with Punishing Fire so it's probably never gonna see a full cycle.

Spanish Manlove
Aug 31, 2008

HAILGAYSATAN

Fajita Queen posted:

Ithe UW one (Nimbus Maze) was neat and hasn't gotten reprinted yet though I think it should,

It got a reprint in the forgotten realms commander product, which is probably more niche than the original printing

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Nimbus Maze is a neat and fair land design I hope they do that cycle eventually.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
River of Tears has also been reprinted in a few recent Commander precons (Baldur's Gate, Brothers' War, Doctor Who, Karlov Manor).

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Desert Precon got revealed and my Hazezon deck is eating so well.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
What’s the temperature on OTJ y’all? Overall underwhelming or a future classic?

My list of gets from the set for commander is 90% The Big Score.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Looks like a pretty good set overall to me from a commander perspective. Lots of interesting legendaries (including a couple that enable entirely new decks like Obeka and Riku), some good modal cards, a couple stupidly powerful cards like Goldvein Hydra and Another Round, etc.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
A lot of the cards look cool, but it’s kind of a hard whiff on me from a flavor perspective. The sheer amount of creatures from other planes makes me feel like this is more a cowboy-themed commander master set than a standard set showing off a cool new plane.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

kurona_bright posted:

A lot of the cards look cool, but it’s kind of a hard whiff on me from a flavor perspective. The sheer amount of creatures from other planes makes me feel like this is more a cowboy-themed commander master set than a standard set showing off a cool new plane.

That’s literally what it is in story.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Okay but that also sucks imo

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
even if you ignore the fact that using 'hey this is a completely unsettled land, so have your cowboys guilt-free' isn't actually as effective a dodge as wizards would like it to be, the coolest part of a set on a new plane is seeing all the world building work -- the landmarks, the cities, the people, etc. There's basically none of that here.

Mix.
Jan 24, 2021

Huh? What?

The good news is that the story of the plane itself ends with Kellan sticking around to help build/expand and stay in one place for a longer while so next time we come here there'll actually be stuff to be world built/landmarked besides the wilderness that predated the omenpaths :eng101:

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

I like the 2/2 Bird with Flash that exiles a spell and plots it, then makes spells cast from exile cost {2} more. I've got a few ways to blink it in my Elesh Norn deck and might slot it in as a way to delay an opponent's key spell. I'd pair it with Draenith Magistrate if I really wanted to be the fun police, but the deck is already miserable to play against already.

I like Grand Abolisher and the new Sword out of BIG. These would go into a Casual-but-Tuned Rafiq of the Many Swords deck.

From Gonti's Commander Deck, I like the Rogue/Ninja with Ninjutsu 4 that makes Treasure when you deal an opponent combat damage and the Flash Djinn Rogue that exiles an opponent's spell and lets you cast it for as long as it remains exiled.

E:

Also, I'm not too keen on Jace's plan/story, but at least it's different from Big Bads like Bolas and the Phyrexians.

Batterypowered7 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Apr 4, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

even if you ignore the fact that using 'hey this is a completely unsettled land, so have your cowboys guilt-free' isn't actually as effective a dodge as wizards would like it to be, the coolest part of a set on a new plane is seeing all the world building work -- the landmarks, the cities, the people, etc. There's basically none of that here.

I mean, all the "things" in OTJ are entirely new and specific to OTJ. It's only the people that are recurring, and there's still quite a few new characters. Annie Flash, Calamity, Fortune, Bristly Bill, Vadmir, Wylie Duke, Akul, Jasper Flint, Lilah, Bonny Pall, Roxanne, Jem Lightfoote, Doc Aurlock, Baron Betram Greywater, Miriam, Ertha Jo, Loot (ugh), Yuma, Kirri, Stella Lee, Eris, Felix Five-Boots, and Vihaan are all new characters. And that's just the legendaries. Nearly all the non-legendary creatures are natives or might as well be.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

Molten Duplication out of BIG might find a home in cEDH decks that use Heat Shimmer + Dualcaster Mage as a wincon.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Balon posted:

My list of gets from the set for commander is 90% The Big Score.

This is kinda how I feel as well save for like maybe five cards from the main set, I'm not really feeling the precon themes this time around, and that's okay. My wallet will thank me.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
There are a ton of spells that will be fun to cast just because you say their name and is a neat plane theme overall.

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
Molten Duplication, Vihaan, Goldwaker, and the Izzet precon commander are all S-tier cards I want to pick up.

The rest has been pretty meh to me, but fwiw I haven't been following the set super close (nor have I followed any set super close since WoE)

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013

Zurai posted:

I mean, all the "things" in OTJ are entirely new and specific to OTJ. It's only the people that are recurring, and there's still quite a few new characters. Annie Flash, Calamity, Fortune, Bristly Bill, Vadmir, Wylie Duke, Akul, Jasper Flint, Lilah, Bonny Pall, Roxanne, Jem Lightfoote, Doc Aurlock, Baron Betram Greywater, Miriam, Ertha Jo, Loot (ugh), Yuma, Kirri, Stella Lee, Eris, Felix Five-Boots, and Vihaan are all new characters. And that's just the legendaries. Nearly all the non-legendary creatures are natives or might as well be.

Basically everybody in the set, including the non-legendary creatures, moved in after March of the Machines happened -- even the indigenous-coded Atiin (Annie, Wylie Duke) aren't from Thunder Junction (but at least they're new in terms of magic lore). I'm pretty sure Doc Aurlock is a bear from Strixhaven and that Ertha Jo is from Zendikar. Those don't really bother me as much as Marchesa being in the set (seriously, why is she here), but basically I think my primary disappointment with the set is that I wanted a new cool cowboy plane, and what I ended up getting was mostly references to other bits of Magic IP wearing leather boots.

kurona_bright fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Apr 5, 2024

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
Mark Rosewater talked about how one of things they want to do going forward is doing at least one what they call "showcase" set each year, where they come up with a theme for the set, and then bring in characters and such from across the multiverse to fill out the set in the context of that theme. The theme for Outlaws was "villainy" so they brought back a bunch of prominent villains from the game's recent history. Same as how last year they had March of the Machine with the Phyrexian invasion happening across everywhere all at once, and if I remember right, one of the upcoming sets from around this time next year is supposed to be some kind of wacky races style set, so expect it to happen again.

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
Yeah, that makes sense. I think the race set will work better since it at least goes through multiple planes.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
I look forward to revisiting some of their newer planes, like this one, after a time jump and this world has been doing it's thing for however long and developed its own cultures and peoples adapted to permanently living on that plane.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

kurona_bright posted:

Basically everybody in the set, including the non-legendary creatures, moved in after March of the Machines happened -- even the indigenous-coded Atiin (Annie, Wylie Duke) aren't from Thunder Junction (but at least they're new in terms of magic lore). I'm pretty sure Doc Aurlock is a bear from Strixhaven and that Ertha Jo is from Zendikar. Those don't really bother me as much as Marchesa being in the set (seriously, why is she here), but basically I think my primary disappointment with the set is that I wanted a new cool cowboy plane, and what I ended up getting was mostly references to other bits of Magic IP wearing leather boots.

That's fair. I'll just leave you with something to consider:

The Wild West period in America's history was as much of, if not more of, a melting pot as anything else in the pre-modern history of the country. The railroads were being built from the west by Chinese immigrants and from the east by Irishmen. "Cowboys" -- in the vernacular of the period -- were men who stole cattle from Mexican ranches and drove them across the border to the US. The populace of the American interior were largely made up of exiles and dream-seekers from the other corners of the country and from outside America. Even the movies that made the Wild West a cultural phenomenon were written, directed, and composed by Italians, based on and heavily inspired by Japanese samurai movies, and frequently partially or fully set in Mexico.

In other words, it's entirely in keeping for a "cowboy set" to be full of people from elsewhere. That's what the Wild West was. The only people from the American interior were the Native American tribes, and even many of them were actually displaced from elsewhere in the country.

(That all said, I'm 100% with you on Marchesa. Why the gently caress is she here? As far as I know she's still a drat Queen back in her plane)

Zurai fucked around with this message at 02:41 on Apr 5, 2024

Framboise
Sep 21, 2014

To make yourself feel better, you make it so you'll never give in to your forevers and live for always.

Lipstick Apathy
I don't really like it. Having a character cross over from one plane to another every now and then is cool, but having all these non-planeswalker characters (not that "planeswalker" as a classification really seems to matter anymore) really takes some flavor out of the sets the characters originated from.

Like it used to be "Oh, a new Innistrad set, wonder what we'll see out of characters like Thalia or Olivia", or "ah, new Ravnica, wonder what they'll do with Niv-Mizzet this time". Now characters can just show up in any set, out of any particular context, and it's just kinda whatever. At least March of the Machines kinda made sense, but this just kinda feels like "March of the Machines: Now They Have Cowboy Hats" and it's kinda... bleh to me. Especially if this is going to become an annual thing. Kinda reminds me of how gacha games will have beach/halloween/christmas themes for character units.

It just kinda feels like everything is an overcorrection from past mistakes, except it's new mistakes instead of corrections. Blocks get stale? Nah, now every plane gets one set returns, two occasionally. Content comes too slowly? gently caress that, have a fire hose of content so massive it's hard to keep track of every product coming out of every set that comes out every six weeks or so. Too many planeswalkers? All right, let's "kill/compleat" a bunch of them *W I N K* and not print more than one two per set.

I'm kind of looking forward to Bloomburrow, if not only because there's not supposed to be any humans in the set and thus we should hopefully see a bunch of fresh new characters and hopefully separate from this weird omenpath stuff for a little while.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

W.T. Fits posted:

Mark Rosewater talked about how one of things they want to do going forward is doing at least one what they call "showcase" set each year, where they come up with a theme for the set, and then bring in characters and such from across the multiverse to fill out the set in the context of that theme. The theme for Outlaws was "villainy" so they brought back a bunch of prominent villains from the game's recent history. Same as how last year they had March of the Machine with the Phyrexian invasion happening across everywhere all at once, and if I remember right, one of the upcoming sets from around this time next year is supposed to be some kind of wacky races style set, so expect it to happen again.

A Wacky Races kind of thing seems neat, but I'm kinda wondering when exactly a new, central thing will turn up again. Maybe it's because I'm new to Magic and don't really know how they usually handle a post-'event' period, but it feels like everything post-MOM has been sorta struggling to find a story hook afterwards; kinda like how post-Endgame the MCU didn't seem to really know what to do with itself for a while.

Jace and Vraska wanting to lash out at the multiverse seems like it might become a thing, but it kinda hasn't yet, and I don't think they'd care about a race. And some of the non-planeswalker villains getting to unleash their bullshit outside their usual planes also seems like it has potential, but I'm not sure that's what they're actually doing, as much as someone like Eriette getting to run roughshod seems like it's a problem waiting to happen.