Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Sea Lily posted:

i think the crazy old man next to the ocean is going to be my beloved on all my playthroughs from now on. he's the only one who really understands what ive been through.

oh to sail out to sea together. a dream never to be.

I was going for Glyndwr since I thought the weird nonelven archery nerd angle was cute but somehow got the Mystic Spearhand meister guy

Dude really sucked at fighting that dragon, all told.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Game is pretty good so far but running to a place with an inn when my HP has been whittled down to low max is so fatiguing. I get the ludonarrative realism they aimed for by making you walk everywhere but it genuinely is very tiring to do that sometimes, I could never play this game on a regular basis for that.

Got into some interesting fights with what seemed like opposing dnd parties I.e. another four people with similar classes, was like fighting the evil version of my own team lol. Then a cyclops wandered in and everything went to hell. Rolling with archer so far and it’s probably the most fun I’ve had with an Archer class in an action rpg. Idk why anyone would pick the healer mage, looked boring as poo poo when my gf picked it. Probably if you want to play puppet master support for three chunky warriors or are just waiting to get sorcerer later.

Sixto Lezcano
Jul 11, 2007

You shouldn’t have to run all the way to an inn, you can camp out to restore lost HP and also to cook delicious meat for buffs. Campsites are spread pretty liberally - look for the smoke coming from their campfires (which are conveniently always lit)

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
House of the blue sunbright is the dumbest quest in the game.
It just has such an incredibly unsatisfying resolution.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I need Pointed Fangs and Ogre Talons for my level 3 dwarven weapon upgrade, so I'll be putting out a pawn quest for one of those! Probably pointed fang since I saw a Grim Ogre earlier but didn't fight it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

DLC Inc posted:

Game is pretty good so far but running to a place with an inn when my HP has been whittled down to low max is so fatiguing. I get the ludonarrative realism they aimed for by making you walk everywhere but it genuinely is very tiring to do that sometimes, I could never play this game on a regular basis for that.

Got into some interesting fights with what seemed like opposing dnd parties I.e. another four people with similar classes, was like fighting the evil version of my own team lol. Then a cyclops wandered in and everything went to hell. Rolling with archer so far and it’s probably the most fun I’ve had with an Archer class in an action rpg. Idk why anyone would pick the healer mage, looked boring as poo poo when my gf picked it. Probably if you want to play puppet master support for three chunky warriors or are just waiting to get sorcerer later.

Yeah, I've never enjoyed playing wizards in DD because it's way more fun to go clambering on dudes to stab them in the eye or the junk or to chuck oil everywhere then blow everyone up than it is to watch pawns fail to catch a harpy while you power up the lightning cannon.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

The power fantasy of "stand in one place for a while charging up and then release an encounter-ending spell" is very appealing to me personally, and I don't know if it's super common in action RPGs but it seems well-suited to DD due to the party of pawns

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy
I want DD3 to have Schierke-level spells where the cast time is 5 minutes but you conjure up a giant flood that washes away every monster in a mile radius.

Forreal though DD has my favorite implementation of spellcasting in games.

SkeletonHero
Sep 7, 2010

:dehumanize:
:killing:
:dehumanize:

Magil Zeal posted:

The power fantasy of "stand in one place for a while charging up and then release an encounter-ending spell" is very appealing to me personally, and I don't know if it's super common in action RPGs but it seems well-suited to DD due to the party of pawns

You should give Stranger of Paradise: Final Fantasy Origin a try.

V: :yeah:

SkeletonHero fucked around with this message at 20:07 on Apr 3, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

SkeletonHero posted:

It's a good rear end game in general.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

TeaJay posted:

I couldn't figure that one out either so I had to look up a hint.

Mild spoiler:
You need to think very literally

Full-on spoiler:
There's a riftstone which has pawns with the name SphinxMother, SphinxFather and SphinxParent. They are official pawns made by CAPCOM. Some sources say that player-made ones are fine too, but I took a Capcom one by going offline first. Now, the trouble was I hadn't found this riftstone earlier, which I could see being an issue for others too - if you've seen it, you'll probably know immediately what the deal is.

Spinx quest spoilers about a neat little detail about this quest:

So a lot of people just use riftstones to find the pawns but there is actually a very clever hint in the dialogue about "knowing where you came from" - the SphinxMother/SphinxFather pawns will spawn in the jail at the excavation site where you started the game, you can talk to them there and hire them like any other pawn on the road

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
Teach your pawns to pick up enemies

Teach your pawns to pick up pawns

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
i just want my gicel spell back tbh, frigor is such a poor substitute for those ice spires. i did like playing DD1 sorcs whenever i was in the process of dragonforging pawn equipment. going to be doing that again soon since i had a hankering for like, post game DD content

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

SkeletonHero posted:

V: :yeah:

Not sure I'd vibe with that, I am very not into "angry male protagonist" games. But it's nice to know the mechanic is there.

Another reason I like DD is that I get to be that Arisen that pawns say only hires women :v:

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

I can confirm that your pawn can get dragonblight from resting at an inn and having them return from another player. Also if you ever can’t tell, just wait until it’s night and turn off your lantern. Their eyes very obviously glow red.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magil Zeal posted:

Not sure I'd vibe with that, I am very not into "angry male protagonist" games. But it's nice to know the mechanic is there.

Another reason I like DD is that I get to be that Arisen that pawns say only hires women :v:

I love how much more incidental dialogue pawns have this time around. One of them noticed (I didn't!) that between my thief and the three pawns I had that nobody had a bow or magic and wondered if we'd be fine without them. Another one said that if this much steel couldn't kill something we were doomed anyway

Dragon's Dogma's always been great at navigating that line between incredibly dumb and incredibly cool

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I want DD3 to have Schierke-level spells where the cast time is 5 minutes but you conjure up a giant flood that washes away every monster in a mile radius.

Forreal though DD has my favorite implementation of spellcasting in games.

Huge :same:

It's actually the only series I've found so far where i prefer the magic system to the melee one. The melee is incredible, don't get me wrong, but something about the spellcasting and magick bows really grabs me for some reason.

The closest second for me as far as magic systems go is the soulsbornes

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The fun thing about dragonblight is it has a bunch of different symptoms and it's kind of random which order they appear in. Red glowy eyes are obvious but may or may not appear. Most of the time you gotta notice from behavior changes, like getting headaches, sitting down on the ground, getting surly when you issue orders, or getting way too into the thrill of battle. With a hired pawn it can be hard to tell sometimes if they're infected or if they're just always looking for good fights, because you don't know how they are normally.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

^^^ How reliable is the "sitting on the ground" part ? Both my pawn and one of my hired ones do this, but I'm not actually sure if it's new. I haven't noticed any other symptoms.

lol, I couldn't start this Ornate Box quest, and ended up learning that I can "fix" it by grabbing Sven and bringing him all the way to the merchant near the entrance.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Magil Zeal posted:

Not sure I'd vibe with that, I am very not into "angry male protagonist" games.

It's much more than it seems.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Magil Zeal posted:

I would still give it a go. It's a final fantasy game at heart and Jack is a very good character regardless of the game's marketing and early impressions.

Jack Trades posted:

It's much more than it seems.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Thundarr posted:

The fun thing about dragonblight is it has a bunch of different symptoms and it's kind of random which order they appear in. Red glowy eyes are obvious but may or may not appear. Most of the time you gotta notice from behavior changes, like getting headaches, sitting down on the ground, getting surly when you issue orders, or getting way too into the thrill of battle. With a hired pawn it can be hard to tell sometimes if they're infected or if they're just always looking for good fights, because you don't know how they are normally.

Sitting on the ground isn't a dragonblight thing, it's a straightforward inclination thing - they will all do it (and only straightforward pawns will do it). I am kind of curious how many people have been dunking straightforward pawns thinking that their natural sassiness is the plague.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sitting on the ground isn't a dragonblight thing, it's a straightforward inclination thing - they will all do it. I am kind of curious how many people have been dunking straightforward pawns thinking that their natural sassiness is the plague.

My straightforward pawn has red eyes as well. I'm sure she spooked a lot of players.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I know I keep mentioning this, but I'm either insanely (un)lucky or it really is just very rare for the Dragonblight to progress to the terminal stage. My (hussy) pawn caught it several times, each time I deliberately did nothing because I wanted to see what would happen, and each time it randomly went away on its own.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
One other funny pawn behaviour thing is that one time I hired a pawn that kept randomly falling over. It is the only pawn that ever happened to and I have no idea what the deal was. I don't think it was dragonblight since I hadn't even gotten the popup about it yet and I kept them around for a pretty long time, and other than that they were completely normal - no weird out of character dialogue, no clutching at their head, no red eyes or anything, just like, constantly drunk or something.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Cheshire Cat posted:

One other funny pawn behaviour thing is that one time I hired a pawn that kept randomly falling over. It is the only pawn that ever happened to and I have no idea what the deal was. I don't think it was dragonblight since I hadn't even gotten the popup about it yet and I kept them around for a pretty long time, and other than that they were completely normal - no weird out of character dialogue, no clutching at their head, no red eyes or anything, just like, constantly drunk or something.

I'm pretty sure I had a couple of pawns like that too. They tend to brine themselves.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The Cheshire Cat posted:

Sitting on the ground isn't a dragonblight thing, it's a straightforward inclination thing - they will all do it (and only straightforward pawns will do it). I am kind of curious how many people have been dunking straightforward pawns thinking that their natural sassiness is the plague.

Yeah that kind of leads into the whole noticing thing. Some pawns will just normally sit down sometimes, or just have a naturally snarky voice. If your pawn never behaved that way before and suddenly starts doing it, it may be time for a bath.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

I like how Calm pawns (or at least, I believe it's mainly Calm ones) will scold the Straightforward pawns for rushing ahead or lazing about. It's helped me get a handle on the difference between the general sassiness of Straightforward pawns and the bits of dialogue that are borderline refusing orders (which I've only seen rarely, things like "I fail to see the sense in this order" and "You don't have to order me around all the time").

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

It’s called taking the initiative, thank you very much.

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My calm pawn, always admonishing the hired pawns who whine that I'm not following them to a quest half the continent away by reminding them that the Arisen sets the pace. Or they plead with me to stop sprinting everywhere and my pawn is like "let's do our best to keep up!" while out of breath. :kimchi:

Then he responded to Go! with a "I know what I'm doing, you don't have to keep reminding me" and I had to murder him. :(

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Broken Cog posted:

House of the blue sunbright is the dumbest quest in the game.
It just has such an incredibly unsatisfying resolution.

It does if you throw that lady into the sea

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

My pawn returns with no rating/gift so often, I have to wonder if me making him Straightforward and giving him red eyes is just resulting in a bunch of false positives where people think he's got Dragonplague and just yeet him into the ocean. He is kinda sassy.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
I give every pawn straightforward, because I have to have some sass in my Yes-man group

Vargs
Mar 27, 2010

Sloober posted:

i just want my gicel spell back tbh, frigor is such a poor substitute for those ice spires

On that note, the fire spells are utter trash compared to Comestion. Those things, Frigor, and Seism all feel like they do waaaay too little damage

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

Vargs posted:

On that note, the fire spells are utter trash compared to Comestion. Those things, Frigor, and Seism all feel like they do waaaay too little damage

Yeah Seism in particular feels very disappointing, the whole thing is that it's supposed to be the big damage physical spell you use on stuff that's resistant to magic but it barely scratches anything, while Levin is as reliable as ever no matter what you use it on (except maybe golems).

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Completed Sphinx's requests without missing any but missed the chance to get what's in her golden chest. Oh well, we were cool anyway and I don't really need that last item you get.

Can anyone tell me what happens if you try to fight her before the end of the questline?

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Thundarr posted:

My calm pawn, always admonishing the hired pawns who whine that I'm not following them to a quest half the continent away by reminding them that the Arisen sets the pace. Or they plead with me to stop sprinting everywhere and my pawn is like "let's do our best to keep up!" while out of breath. :kimchi:

Then he responded to Go! with a "I know what I'm doing, you don't have to keep reminding me" and I had to murder him. :(

maybe if all these pawns weren't so drat short with stubby legs they could keep up

Vargs posted:

yes, some spells seem borderline worthless

Sloober fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 3, 2024

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

Deified Data posted:

Completed Sphinx's requests without missing any but missed the chance to get what's in her golden chest. Oh well, we were cool anyway and I don't really need that last item you get.

Can anyone tell me what happens if you try to fight her before the end of the questline?

If you kill her early, she just dies and doesn't drop the key to the final chest. Only drops the key if you went through all her riddles and then kill her when she's trying to leave the second time (they don't have to all be solved, just completed).

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
High Seism is one of my go-to big area damage spells and always on my warfarer. Its damage is way lower than it should be but it's still good enough, and it can take a golem to its final phase in just a few casts, even just 1-2 if you get lucky

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I think about half of the boss monsters I've fought at this point have denied themselves to the Brine, first Drake fight I could have actually won and it just decides to die and stop me looting it -_-