Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Why is everything a hold-to-activate input for no good reason?

I went looking and there's an option in controls to change between hold and toggle for literally everything in the game. Why it defaults to hold is beyond me.

E: lol, it still has the "hold" circle and everything, it just auto fills it for you. What?

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 11:02 on Apr 2, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010
If we were forced to make accessibility choices at setup, players would go wild in frustration. I assume having a default you can change is the least worse option.

orcane
Jun 13, 2012

Fun Shoe
Would they? Several games nowadays open with the accessibility options screen and I didn't see any complaints about that.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

How is the DLC for this, I got it in sale, really loved the base game and loved playing it on hard as you really had to use every tool possible which made the combat shine.

Never went back for a 2nd playthrough even though I kinda wanted because the game is so dang long.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
You will probably like the DLC

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

The DLC is pretty fun, the Warrior tree got perhaps the biggest glowup with elemental canisters you can hook onto your spear and the machine grapple strike ability. Melee builds were already pretty powerful in HFW proper but now Warrior is probably the strongest spec in the game outside of 20,000+ damage low-health highlight reel gimmicks.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

orcane posted:

Would they? Several games nowadays open with the accessibility options screen and I didn't see any complaints about that.

A small gameplay selection usually, but not all of them.

My personal gripe is the skills tree, which you cannot mouseover to see what the skills are, and if you click a skill to see what it is, the game will put a point into it.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻
I just got this on Steam. I don’t have a PlayStation, and I’m pretty unlikely to get one in the near future, so is there any reason to get a Playstation account linked to Steam?

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
The day I learnt how to use the shredder gauntlet it basically became my go-to for most encounters. I even have the thunderbolt and ancestors returned coiled and ready to go, but these days the shock shredders are how I deal with encounters with even light to mid weight machines. It just takes a lot of fingers to use, L2 then hold R2, click R3 to slowmo, aim with R stick, maybe a reposition with L stick, then X to jump and release R2. But my reward is the enemy gets crowd controlled and all their components fall off for harvest. It’s so strong that I’m worried I’m crutching, but I don’t want to reply on the old fashioned freeze and plink with adv hunter arrows strategy.

Anyway I just finished the main campaign. I’ll post my thoughts on the story as: it’s kind of mid, there were some excellent elements but I swear it could have been done better elsewhere. I was one of this people who seized upon the word “telemetry” in the original game, so my front runner for the antagonists was Far Zenith. So I was kind of disappointed they seemed to be written out of the introduction, so was very surprised when they turned up in an early quest! And somehow I never once got spoiled with that name. And I was even more surprised by the revelation that they were the original Far Zenith colonists. But they could have been developed better and made more formidable. Tilda was great, except for the fact that we had to fight her silly mech suit

I don’t have Burning Shores yet, I’ll buy it in my next gaming session. My current list of legendaries is Sun Scourge, Ancestors Return and Carja’s Bane. Should I grab more legendaries from the Arena and upgrade them with big apex parts, or should I hop right into the DLC?

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

You pretty much already have the best normal weapons you can get outside of Burning Shores or NG+. Upgrade those 3 then head to LA.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

When you git gud with the shredder battles are a zen experience. Such a fun weapon.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

The DLC is pretty fun, the Warrior tree got perhaps the biggest glowup with elemental canisters you can hook onto your spear and the machine grapple strike ability. Melee builds were already pretty powerful in HFW proper but now Warrior is probably the strongest spec in the game outside of 20,000+ damage low-health highlight reel gimmicks.

Ah interesting, I barely used the melee other than for the weak robots in the base game. The thing is I remember lots of big enemies can down you in this game and you can get dmg'd even if you are down so it was super risky to play in melee range on hard where anything can 1-2 tap you.

On the shredders, near the launch of the game, I actually was top 3 in the leaderboards on gold for one of the boss battles by using the shredder. Crazy fun weapon, sad I didn't use it much once I just started spike throwing everything.

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
1st playthru is fun. Ultra Hard is a good challenge but not too bad. Gyro aiming feels like cheating, never miss those weak points. Just got all the different special equipment pieces needed to explore everything on the map so I’m just pausing that and bopping around. The shredders are really sick in this game and a good companion to smoke bomb -> braced shot which is divine feeling.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Elden Lord Godfrey posted:

The day I learnt how to use the shredder gauntlet it basically became my go-to for most encounters. I even have the thunderbolt and ancestors returned coiled and ready to go, but these days the shock shredders are how I deal with encounters with even light to mid weight machines. It just takes a lot of fingers to use, L2 then hold R2, click R3 to slowmo, aim with R stick, maybe a reposition with L stick, then X to jump and release R2. But my reward is the enemy gets crowd controlled and all their components fall off for harvest. It’s so strong that I’m worried I’m crutching, but I don’t want to reply on the old fashioned freeze and plink with adv hunter arrows strategy.

Anyway I just finished the main campaign. I’ll post my thoughts on the story as: it’s kind of mid, there were some excellent elements but I swear it could have been done better elsewhere. I was one of this people who seized upon the word “telemetry” in the original game, so my front runner for the antagonists was Far Zenith. So I was kind of disappointed they seemed to be written out of the introduction, so was very surprised when they turned up in an early quest! And somehow I never once got spoiled with that name. And I was even more surprised by the revelation that they were the original Far Zenith colonists. But they could have been developed better and made more formidable. Tilda was great, except for the fact that we had to fight her silly mech suit

I don’t have Burning Shores yet, I’ll buy it in my next gaming session. My current list of legendaries is Sun Scourge, Ancestors Return and Carja’s Bane. Should I grab more legendaries from the Arena and upgrade them with big apex parts, or should I hop right into the DLC?

you can go straight to the dlc, but the arena boltblaster (Blastforge) is worth it. 2 worthwhile outfits too: the Tenakth Vanquisher thats best in its class for a powerful playstyle (low-health). And to some extent Nora Thunder Warrior (the good allrounder outfit), but one of the Burning Shores outfits are just as good for the same niche and cheaper to upgrade, although Thunder Warrior unlocks a good weave (2+ weapon stamina).

Im a shredder mainliner too, both ng+ and the dlc give you a different kind of legendary shredder, with advanced shredders instead of the elemental ones, which can be a nice change of pace to the Ancestors. Since it works a little differently. Often less OP than shock shredders, since it doesnt have as huge tear area and no shock. you can get higher damage and tear out of it but not as widely applied so it pays off to be more of a sharpshooter with it (or pair it with frost), alot of tear and damage more concentrated on a weakpoint/component. and i also enjoy that unlike elemental shredders, it staggers machines, interrupts attacks and create knockdowns as it grinds which i find satisfying. imo works better against larger medium and heavyweight machines than small ones (AR works well against every size).

But man the Ancestors Return would be absolutely perfect if it had advanced shredders instead of the kind of worthless Tear Shredders along with its acid and shock shredders. then you would have all in one.

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 19:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
as fun as the shredder is, it never feels like it matches the DPS of the hunter bow (granted, i still need to get the triple shredder attack) or the damage over time of the spike throwers. the return mechanic is fun and conserves ammo, but on the other hand advanced hunter bow arrows cost basically gently caress all

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Ulio posted:

Ah interesting, I barely used the melee other than for the weak robots in the base game. The thing is I remember lots of big enemies can down you in this game and you can get dmg'd even if you are down so it was super risky to play in melee range on hard where anything can 1-2 tap you.

On the shredders, near the launch of the game, I actually was top 3 in the leaderboards on gold for one of the boss battles by using the shredder. Crazy fun weapon, sad I didn't use it much once I just started spike throwing everything.

A "melee" build in Horizon is more like you give the machines a little tap with R1 for quickdraw + melee follow-up and then unload 1.5k+ damage spreadshots at point blank range. Very effective though, and cheap!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mns7IX3BQXc

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

exquisite tea posted:

A "melee" build in Horizon is more like you give the machines a little tap with R1 for quickdraw + melee follow-up and then unload 1.5k+ damage spreadshots at point blank range. Very effective though, and cheap!

Now I begin to see just how bad I am at this game, wow

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
I need this bow that completely freezes in one shot I guess

Olothreutes
Mar 31, 2007

Qtotonibudinibudet posted:

as fun as the shredder is, it never feels like it matches the DPS of the hunter bow (granted, i still need to get the triple shredder attack) or the damage over time of the spike throwers. the return mechanic is fun and conserves ammo, but on the other hand advanced hunter bow arrows cost basically gently caress all

Shredders have a (semi?)unique property where they can triple dip on certain coils. Something like the 15% concentration damage coil gives them an extra 15% damage, elemental damage, and elemental buildup, which is why they're so good at applying elemental status. At least that's how I've understood it to work. Ancestors return really wants you to be in concentration and jumping (or sliding, anything for the agility damage bonus) to get the most out of it. They also have crazy wide tear effect and will knock off armor and parts on the other side of a machine which is very useful.

They probably aren't the best raw dps, but they are real good at a lot and fun to use. I'll take 85% efficacy and 150% fun.

Also if you haven't gotten to the DLC yet there's a weapon coil with the unique instant shocked state (outside of an arena only coil from the base game you can't get without exploiting) that is really good.

Has anyone checked to see if DoT hits from a shredder, when it gets stuck in a target, can trigger instant element effects? I know that drill spike DoT won't do it.

site posted:

I need this bow that completely freezes in one shot I guess

That's the sun scourge. I don't think it's one shot on every machine on every difficulty, but it's very good.

Olothreutes fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
ah, that's probably it then, i use elemental damage pretty rarely, since my fighting style is primarily sniping weak points (it is a crime that the upgrade resources sell for gently caress all, i put _effort_ into getting this gigantic stack of bristleback tusks, and you wanna give me less than 200 shards for it? pfff) and doing a lot of shoot n scoot

the "gyro aiming feels like cheating" bit from earlier was like "lolwut, no, that's just _aiming_"

i may not be able to think through the fancy melee+agi boost+whatever combos, but i sure do love running circles around things to unload arrows into their ouch spots

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Kesper North posted:

Now I begin to see just how bad I am at this game, wow

gently caress, :same:

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream

the "gyro aiming feels like cheating" bit from earlier was like "lolwut, no, that's just _aiming_"

the gyro aiming was compared to only joystick aiming, since I'm playing with a controller

Time
Aug 1, 2011

It Was All A Dream
Im 3/4 of the way through the arena fights now and these are insanely fun

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Are there any other settings in the game that affect the drag / pan speed of the world map? I could have sworn it was faster either before the most recent patch or before I made some adjustments, but I don't know what could have changed to affect it.

e: i reset everything and something did the trick. best guess is something in the "controller" panel is being inherited when it shouldn't be but who knows

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 18:21 on Apr 5, 2024

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

exquisite tea posted:

Love to see stuff like that, this game's combat system is underrated.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!

Olothreutes posted:

Shredders have
Has anyone checked to see if DoT hits from a shredder, when it gets stuck in a target, can trigger instant element effects? I know that drill spike DoT won't do it.

It does not, only per throw, calculated on impact.

Shredders are really versatile and fun, and goes great with Chainburst https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yj6t8W0Nj_M

Falukorv fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Apr 5, 2024

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Ok, time to go all in on the shredders and spikes, I guess!

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022
Currently working my way through the fixed loadout arenas. The T2 tideripper one is an absolute nightmare, that stupid tidal disc just juggles you like an idiot. I had to cheese it with elite lightning traps.

The T3 tremortusk is way easier because you get give a ropecaster to control the fight, and of course good shredder discs. Any time I have the opportunity to pull out the shredder the game becomes so much easier. Like a hunter arrow's hurtbox needs to be placed very precisely, miss the weakpoint by a hair and your damage gets nullified by armor. A disc's hurtbox on even its first couple of throws is broad enough that it will touch the weakpoint AND rip off all the armor in the vicinity.

Also another reason why I'm naturally good with shredders is that I'm a glaive user in Warframe.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

This might already be obvious to you but placement for shredder discs and elemental arrows matters, too. Any weapon will do more damage and inflict higher elemental buildup if it initially hits an exposed part of the machine rather than armor. This is true even for ropes and explosive damage.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
Elemental damage will be higher but build-up will be the same regardless if you hit armor or not. thats why its often recommended when freezing a tied-down machine to aim for the armor plates: build-up will be as strong but damage will be sharply reduced (thus not shortening the tie-down status as much)

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

im in the "do all the things you put off while beelining the plot before hitting the post-gemini endgame" phase and lolin at my cauldron kappa strat of "hey, the tideripper technically outmatches you underwater but you can just swim under the disc and its so drat slow and stupid that it just never finds you" (this was, albeit, probably an intentional level design choice) until the fucker just decides to stay underwater for like 5m as i run aimlessly around the platform hoping for it to surface

i had to actually aggro it underwater to make it pop up again lol

other AI "what" moments: one of the spectres in the kotallo quest just glomming onto the wall and staying there doing gently caress all as i continuously unload arrows into it. spectre AI is weird AF

Pi Mu Rho
Apr 25, 2007

College Slice

im in the "do all the things you put off while beelining the plot before hitting the post-gemini endgame" phase and lolin at my cauldron kappa strat of "hey, the tideripper technically outmatches you underwater but you can just swim under the disc and its so drat slow and stupid that it just never finds you" (this was, albeit, probably an intentional level design choice) until the fucker just decides to stay underwater for like 5m as i run aimlessly around the platform hoping for it to surface

i had to actually aggro it underwater to make it pop up again lol

I had the same thing happen, except then the AI bugged out and the Tideripper was on the disc, except in water mode:

Which all went swimmingly (sorry) until the game crashed just before I could get the kill in.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

This snake killed me so many times the game started telling me to revert my save to before I entered the cauldron.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Just had to cheat my way out of a section in cauldron chi because it glitched out and I couldn't finish otherwise. in the section where you have to bring an energy cell back by setting it on a mechanical arm and use the rope to move the arm, when I attempted to drop the cell on the arm it would clip right through and drop onto the floor below. had to use noclip to carry the cell and fly to the other side lol

Elden Lord Godfrey
Mar 4, 2022

exquisite tea posted:

This might already be obvious to you but placement for shredder discs and elemental arrows matters, too. Any weapon will do more damage and inflict higher elemental buildup if it initially hits an exposed part of the machine rather than armor. This is true even for ropes and explosive damage.

Indeed, I'm still trying to hit weakpoints with a shredder, but I'm less likely to be tilted by the machine rotating themselves a few degrees and have the shot ping off the armor. It really feels like shredder disc hurtboxes are far more "lenient" than arrows, which need pinpoint accuracy to not hit an armor plate.

More shredder chat, I do often run into an issue especially at close range, where I perform a close-to-mid range throw, roll in one direction, keep moving in that same direction, and the disc just completely fails to track me and ricochets off in the opposite direction. Feels bad when that happens, especially if the disc was near fully charged. I don't know what governs this behavior routinely going awry.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Weird things happen with shredder discs at close range, which is why I tend to use them primarily at mid-long range. Shredders USUALLY preserve your directional momentum as they are being thrown, which is why moving Aloy left or right while launching them makes their return trajectory a little more predictable.

Falukorv
Jun 23, 2013

A funny little mouse!
yeah the nice part about shredders is that even if you miss a weakpoint it still detaches a bunch of armor, theyre not wasted (and some grinding damage too).

Martian Manfucker
Dec 27, 2012

misandry is real
Does ultra hard gently caress with the games like, "grace" aim? Not the aim assist but the thing that just says "eh close enough, we'll give it to you." In my first playthrough on very hard I was able to get up into a machines face, even the small ones, and just rapid fire blast warrior bow ammo into it and almost never miss unless the circle straight up wasn't in it. Same with human enemies. In ultra hard I go up in a machines face and just make myself look like a fool while arrows blast off into space. Really makes the value of the warrior bow's hip fire plummet.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I thought shredders were explicitly described as passing through enemies so they'd hit lots of little hitboxes along the way. Which is why they seem to bypass armor, they do hit the armor but unlike other weapons that doesn't stop them from also hitting the weak point next to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Correct, but if you're trying to maximize damage and elemental buildup, then you should still aim for a softer part of the machine with shredders, since where it first hits will make a difference.