Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty convinced people who say bots are too hard just aren't running enough Autocannons

Been saying this

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business
I am in a similar spot. The Qusar is awesome, but the AC is just so useful for so many more situations.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

There was a meme on reddit where the answer to any problem in this game was the Autocannon. That meme is true.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
I was just in a match where my teammates just.. didn't understand the game? It was a bot mission where we needed to get launch codes then go to the IBM site. They ran to the IBM site first and just started killing local patrols. I ran to get the launch codes and took care of a few objectives along the way. Ran to the launch site and launched the ICBM because they weren't doing it. Then they started moving to the launch code objective that was greyed out. One of them team killed me as soon as I picked up a super sample, but then didn't pick up the sample. They just kept going to already greyed out objectives and killing patrols and dying fairly regularly. When ten minutes were left I ran to the extraction point and called it in because they were still on the opposite side of the map. We had about a minute left of timer so I hopped in the shuttle because it was getting too chaotic around there to feel confident I'd be able to extract. Only one person had even tried to get to extraction and they died with about thirty seconds left on the clock.

They were all between levels 11-18 so I would figure they should understand how objectives work, but maybe they'd usually just been doing defense missions or something?

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Mesadoram posted:

I am in a similar spot. The Qusar is awesome, but the AC is just so useful for so many more situations.

I keep jumping between AC and Queso with Shield.

They are both great, and I just pick the opposite of what everyone else is doing.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I'm really amused by the group of players who seem to think the Quasar is this amazing wonder weapon, because it's good in it's role, but it's legit a side-grade to the EAT and RR, yet people apparently are acting like it's this amazing a anti-medium and I'm just so confused.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Gorelab posted:

I'm really amused by the group of players who seem to think the Quasar is this amazing wonder weapon, because it's good in it's role, but it's legit a side-grade to the EAT and RR, yet people apparently are acting like it's this amazing a anti-medium and I'm just so confused.

Its basically a flat upgrade to RR since it doesn't take up a backpack. Agreed that it's a sidegrade to EATs but they were already one of the best picks anyway, and the Quasar is a lot easier to use strategically since you don't have to keep calling it down or worry about ammo

Reiley
Dec 16, 2007

The big drawback of the Quasar is not being able to just point at something and blow it up. All these robots bounce and bob and swivel around. Just give me an EAT, honestly.

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid

Gorelab posted:

You get more shots in the same timeframe as the EAT, and you don't have to reload like the RR.

It definitely has tradeoffs with the charge up time and cool down, but I find I do better with the queso.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

Reiley posted:

The big drawback of the Quasar is not being able to just point at something and blow it up. All these robots bounce and bob and swivel around. Just give me an EAT, honestly.

The "problem" with the EAT is you have to call it down which takes a couple seconds and has a cooldown. It's not really a problem because it's quick to call, has a low cooldown, and shoots instantly when you pull the trigger, but the Quasar has the benefit of being available more often when you need it. If a tank vent is looking you in the face but you already fired eat's at something else recently you're going to have to wait or find another way to take care of it. I think both launchers are great it's just a matter of what you personally find more convenient I think.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying

Riatsala posted:

Is it worthwhile to shoot down drop ships after they've dropped their passengers? Other than the spectacle, which is always cool? I've been taking the QC a lot lately but occasionally can't get it spun to hit the engine in time.
It's inconsistent but they do deal damage when they crash and it usually kills most of the passengers ime, so absolutely worth it.

Skip tank dropships though. They zoom up and down in a way that makes them hard to hit and probably won't kill the tank anyway.

Borscht
Jun 4, 2011
The description of the autocannon makes it sound like you need a buddy to load you. Can you actually solo it?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yes, it's just slower and you need to be wearing the backpack it drops with.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Borscht posted:

The description of the autocannon makes it sound like you need a buddy to load you. Can you actually solo it?

god yes, you don't need a buddy to load.

When I first started playing and saw the video I stayed away from it because I thought the same thing. Then my eyes were opened and I was educated on its beauty.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Borscht posted:

You can reload the autocannon if you are wearing the autocannon backpack which drops with the weapon.

BlackIronHeart
Aug 2, 2004

PROCEED

Borscht posted:

You can, it just takes longer to reload especially if you're completely empty.

explosivo
May 23, 2004

Fueled by Satan

They really should update that description.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

While on subject, if you reload AC after 5 shots exactly it is much quicker than the full reload you do at 10 shots.

Psykmoe
Oct 28, 2008

Gorelab posted:

Yeah, Youtube just kept shoving these videos with clickbaity titles/thumbnails at me. "Quasar overpowered?" "It oneshots spore towers???"

Yeah, guys. It's literally just a rocket launcher but as an energy gun. Have you guys never picked up an EAT??

I mean, I really like the Quasar but you absolutely feel the long interval between shots during high pressure situations. Not having to sit down to reload is a bigger bonus than infinite ammo. My favorite pick if the rest of the team is already bringing autocannons.

And I mostly still spam EATs vs bugs.

Psykmoe fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Apr 3, 2024

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
Pro AC strats: when you notice you're at 6 rounds left after a fight, pop one into the air and fill up.

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

PringleCreamEgg posted:

I was just in a match where my teammates just.. didn't understand the game? It was a bot mission where we needed to get launch codes then go to the IBM site. They ran to the IBM site first and just started killing local patrols. I ran to get the launch codes and took care of a few objectives along the way. Ran to the launch site and launched the ICBM because they weren't doing it. Then they started moving to the launch code objective that was greyed out. One of them team killed me as soon as I picked up a super sample, but then didn't pick up the sample. They just kept going to already greyed out objectives and killing patrols and dying fairly regularly. When ten minutes were left I ran to the extraction point and called it in because they were still on the opposite side of the map. We had about a minute left of timer so I hopped in the shuttle because it was getting too chaotic around there to feel confident I'd be able to extract. Only one person had even tried to get to extraction and they died with about thirty seconds left on the clock.

They were all between levels 11-18 so I would figure they should understand how objectives work, but maybe they'd usually just been doing defense missions or something?

Or just complete idiots

Zorak of Michigan
Jun 10, 2006

BadLlama posted:

god yes, you don't need a buddy to load.

When I first started playing and saw the video I stayed away from it because I thought the same thing. Then my eyes were opened and I was educated on its beauty.

And just to make sure it's known, while it takes many seconds to load the AC again if you run it completely dry, you can stick a new 5 round clip in there if it's down to 5 shots or less in the magazine, and that's a pretty quick action. If you get that habit of tapping r every few rounds, just to try to keep it stoked full of ammo, you can get a very respectable ROF going.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

I like the Quasar better than EAT almost purely because strategems get hosed with consistently at higher levels. If you want to destroy a jammer outpost especially, it's a nice to have over EAT.

DarkDobe
Jul 11, 2008

Things are looking up...

BadLlama posted:

There was a meme on reddit where the answer to any problem in this game was the Autocannon. That meme is true.

I need to use it to take apart some gunships and walkers but this is still the Railgun for me.
Just have to aim it a little better nowadays.

cheeseboy58
Dec 14, 2020

Away all Goats posted:

Pretty convinced people who say bots are too hard just aren't running enough Autocannons

Or are competent in general. My crew never runs autocannons

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

I have probably taken the autocannon in 98 out of 100 missions played since I unlocked it. I wish I could use some of the other backpacks, but the autocannon is just too goddamn good.

- three shots to kill tanks, turrets and hulks in the vents (two for hulk eyes)
- three shots to pop bile bugs
- four shots to rip open a charger butt
- one shot for striders and most medium bugs
- kills devastators from long range
- pops bile titan acid sacs
- closes bug holes
- destroys fabricators
- opens cargo crates
- kills broadcast towers and spore spewers
- kills dropships
- eventually kills shrieker nests
- can do all of this from as far away as you can see the target
- explosive, so can even clean up swarms in a pinch
- comes with 110 rounds
- has awesome toggle lock mechanism

I feel like you could probably run entire missions with nothing but a team of autocannons, mortar sentries, and railgun strikes.

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Quasar is powerful as gently caress but the slow refire rate is definitely a balance check on its incredible damage.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

Sagebrush posted:

I feel like you could probably run entire missions with nothing but a team of autocannons, mortar sentries, and railgun strikes.

:hmmyes:

GokuGoesSSj69
Apr 15, 2017
Weak people spend 10 dollars to gift titles about world leaders they dislike. The strong spend 10 dollars to gift titles telling everyone to play Deus Ex again
Popping bile titans acid sacs is bad because it makes it much harder (impossible even?) to line up the one shot with an anti armor weapon.

Mesadoram
Nov 4, 2009

Serious Business

Sagebrush posted:

- has awesome toggle lock mechanism

Toggle lock mechanism?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

critical update: fully-upgraded destroyer guns will now display properly when you jump between systems

we are finally free

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

Popping bile titans acid sacs is bad because it makes it much harder (impossible even?) to line up the one shot with an anti armor weapon.

Yeah but it removes their ranged stagger attack long enough to let your rail cannon recharge or whatever.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
EAT, Quasar, and AC are all really well balanced and are great examples of support weapons that are good at their role, have some uniqueness to them, and feel good to use. RR is definitely on the outside looking in and seems kinda redundant- if they don’t want to just crank up it’s damage maybe they could give it a bigger explosion radius or something?

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

causticBeet posted:

EAT, Quasar, and AC are all really well balanced and are great examples of support weapons that are good at their role, have some uniqueness to them, and feel good to use. RR is definitely on the outside looking in and seems kinda redundant- if they don’t want to just crank up it’s damage maybe they could give it a bigger explosion radius or something?

All it really needs is letting you team reload off the wielder's backpack.

dialhforhero
Apr 3, 2008
Am I 🧑‍🏫 out of touch🤔? No🧐, it's the children👶 who are wrong🤷🏼‍♂️

Borscht posted:

You can.

This is the way.

A buddy makes it so you can essentially go full auto indefinitely. Also you get a cheev. If he is wearing a shield backpack you will also be protected.

The autocannon is my primary. My secondary is my rifle. I find at games at 7 and up the auto cannon turns the enemies back into squishies again with the regular rifle like at levels 1-4.

Walkers at any range dead, especially if you hit the legs. Bile spewers dead in two hits if you aim for the belly.

Chargers in 4 if you shoot the rear end. You can also get their leg armor off but it can be tough.

Kills hulks if you land it in the face, otherwise two hits in the back.

Kills missile bots if you shoot their missile pods.

Staggers shield bots to open up for a killing shot.

And it has a splash effect so it is good at small area AoE damage.

Also can kill gunships in 3-4 hits, which is crucial sometimes.

dialhforhero fucked around with this message at 23:14 on Apr 3, 2024

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Mesadoram posted:

Toggle lock mechanism?

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

GokuGoesSSj69 posted:

You can keep attacking the abdomen even after it's popped with high enough pen weapons to fully kill the bile titan.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sZ2pfkmktjs

Noteworthy right at the start there, heavy machinegun is one of the weapons with enough pen to do this!

smellmycheese
Feb 1, 2016

DarkDobe posted:

I need to use it to take apart some gunships and walkers but this is still the Railgun for me.
Just have to aim it a little better nowadays.

Come on. AC one shots walkers. 2 shots Devastators

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Gorelab posted:

I'm a recent convert to Autocannon, and at least against bots, it is an adjustment getting used to the backpack requirement because I always used to have a shield against bots. Having the Quasar and shield was nice.

Sindai posted:

Pro AC strats: when you notice you're at 6 rounds left after a fight, pop one into the air and fill up.

Is there a setting for numerical ammo counts that I've never seen?

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.
Yeah, I’m still desperately holding on to my Energy Shield/Railgun combo, but I might need to try the Autocannon again.