Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

"Cloud! I understand your girlfriend is trapped in a state of quantum indecision but if you aren't busy with that, how about collecting more intel"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

What new areas are left to go to? Northern Crater, Wutai, probably Rocket Town?

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

Rhonne posted:

What new areas are left to go to? Northern Crater, Wutai, probably Rocket Town?

Mideel, Some undersea stuff like the Junon reactor and the downed cargo plane. They could bring back the archeology village for something, as long as it's there.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Also, the actual, for real, Fort Condor, too

I hope when we go there, it's just the Fort Condor mini-game again, but in real life, and Yuffie is like, "ohhh poo poo, I am so ready for this moment!"

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Apr 3, 2024

Ardryn
Oct 27, 2007

Rolling around at the speed of sound.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I'm genuinely curious to how game 3 is going to go in terms of scope. There's so much poo poo packed into Rebirth it needed two discs on console so when it comes to part three they're going to need to make a space biome, all the cities they missed, midgar in full (I assume) ontop of poo poo like the weapons and sister ray.

They already killed bone town or whatever that stupid place is, I can't help but wonder if Mideel will be skipped over and rolled into Corel with the doctor guy there.

I suppose it's possible they'll also kill Mideel, but you do see the island it's on briefly during the planetarium fly-over of the planet itself.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am positive they won't kill Mideel and in fact am pretty positive that Tifa's doctor who showed up briefly treating robed dudes is going to be the doctor there

Jetrauben
Sep 7, 2011
angered the evil eye lately
They've indicated Wutai is also significantly bigger than it was in the original game with references to multiple towns being destroyed.

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

Don't change the submarine minigame. Just keep it exactly as is and port it directly to 3. Or at least spruce it up a bit but keep the low poly graphics like the boxing game.

Just look at that perfection

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Oh, we'll also have the return to Midgar. They might throw a few new areas in there, too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I've mentioned it before but:

In terms of new or missing locations that are confirmed in some way to be in the next game:

Icicle Inn (snowboarding coming soon at the Gold Saucer)
Rocket Town (Cid)
Lucrecia's Cave (Vincent)
Wutai (Developers already confirmed)
Northern Crater (both visits)
True Fort Condor (is directly referenced, can be seen in the distance.)

Places that are extremely likely based off the original game:
Junon (escape from, return to, and Underwater Reactor)
Underwater areas (sunken airship)
Mideel
Return to North Corel
Return to Fort Condor
Return to Cosmo Canyon
Return to City of the Ancients
Return to Midgar

Places that might be cut but are likely to show up in some fashion:
Bone Village
Zangan's Letter/Full Appearance
Golden Chocobos
KotR
Great Gospel and Aerith's ultimate weapon

Places that are likely to be revisited due to new stuff:
Gongaga
Aerith's house/slums/etc
Shinra Tower ruins. (The above two can be tied to Reeve/Cait Sith and maybe Yuffie if they want to revisit Deepground.)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Space is 100% gonna be a full region

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Space is 100% gonna be a full region

I honestly kind of doubt it. Honestly if anything I kind of expect "shooting into space" to be one of the 'poo poo goes off the rails" moments considering the tear in the sky.

... funniest outcome: the tear in the sky takes the party thousands of years into the past where they encounter a young Shinra, a traveler from another star who came to the planet seeking a new source of energy.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I wonder how they値l approach the open world areas. The Great Glacier and Wutai will definitely be new regions and we値l probably be able to explore underwater, but what about all the parts of the map that we値l be revisiting? Like, are they just gonna be the same maps repopulated with new towers and intel challenges or what?

Augus fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Apr 3, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Augus posted:

I wonder how they値l approach the open world areas. The Great Glacier and Wutai will definitely be new regions and we値l probably be able to explore underwater, but what about all the parts of the map that we値l end be revisiting? Like, are they just gonna be the same maps repopulated with new towers and intel challenges or what?

I imagine the same maps but with new sidequests/challenges/gimmicks. We're going to have the Highwind so honestly I expect towers to be replaced with like data updates from the Highwind or something.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

I think they said in an interview that they want to expand on some of the zones we return to since we'll have the Highwind. I'm curious if they'll add things to the old zones that we don't have a reason to return to in the original, like Gongaga and the Grasslands. I think the only reason to go back to Nibelheim in the original is to get the Zack flashback after Cloud puts his head back together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rhonne posted:

I think they said in an interview that they want to expand on some of the zones we return to since we'll have the Highwind. I'm curious if they'll add things to the old zones that we don't have a reason to return to in the original, like Gongaga and the Grasslands. I think the only reason to go back to Nibelheim in the original is to get the Zack flashback after Cloud puts his head back together.

I expect Gongaga will have more with Zack and Cissnei stuff.

Nibelheim has the Zack flashback and also Tifa finding Zangan's note, which I genuinely expect to be expanded upon.

Kalm has the Kalm Traveller sidequest so I could see that getting expanded too.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Make a Weapon for every zone, and each one unlocks a Knight of the Round.

All the OG Weapons are now mandatory fights involving the Huge Magnus Materia, but now there's also a bunch more. Including one of the baby whale ones. And one in space.

Also I don't have a screenshot handy but kudos to the posters near Tifa's piano, I noticed they were referencing Ruby and Emerald Weapon, but after a moment I noticed that the environment in those posters was shaped like the Weapon as well.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

hope we finally get justice for sapphire weapon. I wanna fight the cool octopus flower snake or whatever the gently caress it痴 supposed to look like

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Phantasium posted:

Make a Weapon for every zone, and each one unlocks a Knight of the Round.

All the OG Weapons are now mandatory fights involving the Huge Magnus Materia, but now there's also a bunch more. Including one of the baby whale ones. And one in space.

Also I don't have a screenshot handy but kudos to the posters near Tifa's piano, I noticed they were referencing Ruby and Emerald Weapon, but after a moment I noticed that the environment in those posters was shaped like the Weapon as well.

I think that's not unlikely.

The zones we know of:

Grass
Junon
Coral
Gongaga
Cosmo
Nibelheim

Of those the canonical ones we face are
Grass - Diamond
Junon- Sapphire (even if not directly fought)
Coral - Ruby

And the ones which are tied to other locations:
Emerald - Ocean
Ultima - Sky/Mideel.

They could easily tie Emerald and Ultima to established areas/quests in some fashion and they'd only need to come up with a new one to round it out.

For the record there's also canonically but not in FF7:
Jade Weapon (Before Crisis)
Omega Weapon (DoC)

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I'm not sure why you'd want one Weapon per zone unless they were going to be like the Summons and completely divorced from the plot, which I don't see being the case. It just feels kinda limiting

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Hell, for fun, here are the bosses we haven't encountered yet:

Twin Head/Scizo. (They are not called it Schizo again.)
Jenova DEATH
Carry Armor
Proud Clod
Hojo
Jenova Synthesis
Safer/Seraph Sephiroth
Rapps
The Wutai Padoga guys
The Weapons.

Not exactly a long list. There are some non-boss iconic enemies, like the TANKCERATOPS, who haven't shown up but honestly a lot of pallet swaps were ahead.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I'm not sure why you'd want one Weapon per zone unless they were going to be like the Summons and completely divorced from the plot, which I don't see being the case. It just feels kinda limiting

Rebirth clarified that the Master Materias are found at the center of a WEAPON so it seems likely that collecting them is going to involve having to fight WEAPONs.

Grand Theft Autobot
Feb 28, 2008

I'm something of a fucking idiot myself
The Emerald Weapon Fight DLC will be 50 hours of content by itself.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

Also when you start fighting Hojo I want at least one reference to Parasite Eve, c'mon. He's got a bunch of forms and summons monsters, give me at least one fleshrat shooting fireballs.

Phantasium fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 3, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

Rebirth clarified that the Master Materias are found at the center of a WEAPON so it seems likely that collecting them is going to involve having to fight WEAPONs.

Yeah totally, but I don't really see that being a one per zone sorta deal.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I hope they give the dinosaur tank the full Hell House treatment.

edit: lol I completely forgot about the enemy from the original that痴 just a woman in a swimsuit.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
Don't forget the forest where you find the Apocalypse weapon for Cloud, and all the miscallaneous islands and caves on the world map etc.
Part 3 could be absolutely huge. If Square puts in the effort they did for Rebirth, it will be an absolutely colossal game.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah totally, but I don't really see that being a one per zone sorta deal.

In the original there are 4 Huge Materia:
Nibelheim Reactor (stolen, put in Rocket)
Coral Reactor (Train)
Junon Underwater Reactor (taken via submarine, lost in the sea)
Fort Condor

That fills out Junon, Nibelheim/Rocket Town (assuming they keep the same rough position of Rocket Town), and Coral regions. Technically two due to how Fort Condor works but Condor was clearly repositioned in the remake so it can fit somewhere else. Diamond Weapon is fought outside Midgar, which would be the Grasslands, and Ultima is mobile but eventually crashes down in Cosmo Canyon's Ancient Forest. So even if they just kept things the same they were, that roughly means one WEAPON fight per area.

Gongaga, which is the most new region, does not have an associated Huge Materia plot but is explicitly shown in Rebirth to have a Weapon hanging out in its reactor, that was part of why Shinra was even there in Rebirth. This will likely come up again.

This doesn't apply to the new areas but Wutai has its own original plot going on and we don't really know how Icicle Inn/Mideel will be handled.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

I was kind of sad they didn't put the legless guy swinging on an axe in the mansion.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I mean like maybe it'll end up with one per zone but I doubt it'll be like a conceit of the game design. Just don't see what you'd get out of it, or what the problem would be with for example Junon having two (Underwater and Fort Condor)?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I mean like maybe it'll end up with one per zone but I doubt it'll be like a conceit of the game design. Just don't see what you'd get out of it, or what the problem would be with for example Junon having two (Underwater and Fort Condor)?

Mostly because one-per-region gives you a nice clean setpiece battle for each zone you'll be returning to.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Ruby Weapon was in the Corel Region in the original game so either
A) Corel will have two Weapons
or
B) Instead of the original line-up of Weapons being freed from the north crater, the whale ones will mutate into the iconic designs when Meteor is summoned

or I guess they could just move Ruby but that壇 be weird

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It was a fun touch Tifa has posters of Emerald and Ruby up in her room at Nibelheim (or rather tourist posters that happen to look just like the Weapons)

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

I'm thinking the whale ones are just baby Weapons, still forming because the incident that called them into being is recent while the ones from the OG seemingly all come from the northern crater.

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

I was kind of sad they didn't put the legless guy swinging on an axe in the mansion.

Holding out hope that Ghost Ship makes it in part 3.

And I dunno bring out Heavy Tank for something in Gongaga come the gently caress on

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Caidin posted:

Holding out hope that Ghost Ship makes it in part 3.

And I dunno bring out Heavy Tank for something in Gongaga come the gently caress on

I am positive Ghost Ship will make it. That poo poo is too iconic.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

ImpAtom posted:

Golden Chocobos
KotR

These drat well better show up. In FF7 remake fashion though, they should have rocket jets strapped to them or something. Both golden chocobos and the KOTR.

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica
Oh, and we're fighting bio-engineered Roche after Hojo glared at him from the helicopter, right? That's the implication?

UP AND ADAM
Jan 24, 2007

by Pragmatica

TK-42-1 posted:

He was one of my favorites too. We did get an epic Demon Gate though.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Can't wait to see Hojo's weird monster forms in glorious HD.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doos
Jan 1, 2015

Rhonne posted:

Can't wait to see Hojo's weird monster forms in glorious HD.

The Unknowns are going to be so pretty.