Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
First patch in 6 hours or so.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zurai posted:

Also the "increase vassal population by 1" power is a Cultural power, which means you're just not going to be able to fire off every 2 turns, full stop. I'm running an extremely heavily culture-focused game right now and even with my capital pumping out 60+ cpt it still takes 3 turns to refill -- and that requires using the "increase city yields" culture power every other use.

He's triggering culture powers every 2 turns because the infinite vassals produce that much culture and money. Also, merchant cost capped out at 42 for him. Shovels are also incredibly easy to mass due to, again, vassal swarm. I'm talking 100+ shovels a turn just from vassals, and they're easy enough to mass when needed by switching cities to shovel production and importing bricks via trade. You are straight up wrong.

The diplo points are useful because they equal more vassals which equal more everything.

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:22 on Apr 3, 2024

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

toasterwarrior posted:

First patch in 6 hours or so.

Did they release any notes?

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

Zurai posted:

I already responded to this in the other thread you posted this drek in.

And here's a crosspost from that thread you loving dipshit. Why the gently caress is the very first thing you do when someone points out an exploit in a buggy-rear end new game to call them liars?

my dad posted:

Here's the screenshots from the game he discovered this exploit on, don't have any from his ongoing breaking the game as much as possible experiment:

This is without actually rushing the strat.

The map is huge continents.

Here's an example of envoying an indie city and then just chaining off of it.

Incomes:

And the capping out of prices (merchants were apparently also influenced by the engineering social fabric, there's some weird poo poo going on with their scaling cap)

e: forgot to add this:

my dad fucked around with this message at 10:54 on Apr 3, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011

THE BAR posted:

Did they release any notes?

Nah, nothing on their Discord. All I saw was that it's balance changes and bugfixes, but no big features yet,

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

toasterwarrior posted:

Nah, nothing on their Discord. All I saw was that it's balance changes and bugfixes, but no big features yet,

Right-o, thanks.

Jossar
Apr 2, 2018

Current status: Angry about subs :argh:
I will say that although I didn't get quite as crazy numbers as my dad's friend is showing, I was able to build pretty wide with good numbers in my Archangels game on a medium map just through the use of Kingdom/Feudal Kingdom, later replaced by International Finance as the supplementer so I was able to get things like a 30+ 350% Prosperity vassal city, and nearly two dozen overall. And that was without going all-in on vassal focused National Spirits for most of the game, although I did beat up a lot of other Nations and steal their cities, especially later on. So I wouldn't rule out that it's impossible if you're specifically trying to break the game as hard as you can.

Quoting from earlier in the thread:

quote:

Jossar fucked around with this message at 13:11 on Apr 3, 2024

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Wait -- I haven't even voted in this game yet!

my dad posted:

And here's a crosspost from that thread you loving dipshit. Why the gently caress is the very first thing you do when someone points out an exploit in a buggy-rear end new game to call them liars?

e: forgot to add this:

I didn't call anyone a liar. I said it's not really that impressive an "exploit". You post made it sound like the game was just carelessly broken in half with no effort at all by this, and that's just plain not the case. I don't know why you're loving flying off the loving handle, but you can loving calm the gently caress down about it.

As for your screenshots... here's from my game where I have half as many vassals:

So your friend spent all that effort to get 19 vassals over me for ... 2 government XP, 2 Diplomacy XP, less than 2 Culture per turn, and more than a hundred less improvement points per turn. The only significant gain was in wealth per turn, and I'm absolutely swimming in gold in that game anyway (as I have been in every game that gets this far).

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Zurai posted:

I don't know why you're loving flying off the loving handle, but you can loving calm the gently caress down about it.

You literally called what he posted "drek", i.e., poo poo, which is not something to do and then get angry about the response's tone.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Having the ability to make cities for nonscaling 24 diplo points and 15 admin points each, is an exploit of clearly not intended mechanical interactions, yes.

The friend didn't go through any extra effort in this game, it was a normal game until he figured out in the middle of it that the exploit was possible and he dropped a few dozen cities in as many turns, and it's nowhere near close to being fully scaled yet. The maximizing setup I described is for the experimental game he's trying this out in.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Millennia Patch 0 posted:

Balance

PLEASE REMEMBER THAT BALANCE CHANGES WILL ONLY APPLY TO NEW GAMES.

Increased the cost of rushing Production by 20%.
Rebalanced Upkeep costs of Units starting in Age 4. Previously, the baseline Upkeep curve was linear, based on the Age when a Unit was introduced – that is, a Unit unlocked in Age 5 typically had an Upkeep of 5 (there are Units that don’t follow this pattern, but this was the baseline). The Upkeep curve remains the same for Units of Ages 1 to 3 but is now based on a non-linear curve for Units starting in Age 4. The adjusted base curve is now:

Age 1 Units – 1 Upkeep
Age 2 Units – 2 Upkeep
Age 3 Units – 3 Upkeep
Age 4 Units – 5 Upkeep
Age 5 Units – 7 Upkeep
Age 6 Units – 9 Upkeep
Age 7 Units – 10 Upkeep
Age 8 Units – 12 Upkeep
Age 9 Units – 14 Upkeep
Age 10 Units – 16 Upkeep

Increased the Upkeep cost of Mercenaries from 24 to 40 and Privateers from 20 to 40. These Units, from the Age 6 Mercenaries National Spirit, are intended to have a substantial Upkeep that makes you want to disband them when they aren’t needed.
Changed the Spawn Mercenaries Power from the Age 6 Mercenaries National Spirit to not scale in cost when used (it remains at 20 War XP per use).
Capped the value of Compound Interest from the Age 8 Banking National Spirit at 500 per turn.
Changed Ingenious Monuments in the Transcendence Victory Age from providing 1 Ingenuity per 10 Improvements to providing 1 Ingenuity per 100 Improvements.
Changed Utopian Welfare in the Transcendence Victory Age from providing 1 Organization Social Fabric per 25 Population to 1 Organization Social Fabric per 75 Population.
Theater now generates 5 Wealth (in addition to 1 Arts XP it previously provided).
The Unification Tech in Age of Conquest (Age 5) generates Warfare XP per Vassal Population multiplied by Vassal Prosperity. The base value for this was 1 Warfare XP per Vassal Population, it has been changed to .0625 Warfare XP per Vassal Population.

Gameplay

When an AI player unlocked Deforestation (Age 9), it was disabling Clear Cut (Age 5) for all other players – fixed.
Updated the Sahara Expedition (it was possible to be unable to choose any of the options presented).
The Age 4 and 5 Rival to the Throne and Anticolonials Events now spawn Rebels instead of Barbarians.
Some Domain and Culture Powers unlocked by National Spirits were set to expire after a certain Age. This was intended to prevent outdated Powers, like using Warrior Elite’s Spawn Spartans in late Age games. In practice, player feedback frequently mentioned confusion at losing the Powers, so we disabled the expiration on all Domain and Culture Powers derived from National Spirits.
The Address Grievance and Non-Violent Protest Powers, from the Age 8 Age of Dystopia, no longer have expirations, allowing them to be used to deal with remaining riots after exiting the Age.
Changed Photon Tanks and Elite Heavies from Age 9 Age of Visitors to have upgrade lines (thanks, @RedDeath).

AI

Fixed an issue that was frequently causing AI players to delay founding new Religions until Age 5.
Made AI players more likely to found a new Religion when there are few already established.
AI players who have chosen the Theologian or Crusader National Spirits but do not already have a religion will choose to found one.
The AI was having problems managing high levels of Unrest caused from being at war. They now handle this better.

UI / Art

Changed Early Tank portrait to match model.
Updated Drill portrait.
Updated Jet Fighter portrait.
Updated the Age of Ignorance Age information panel to use the correct art.
Updated Milling Factory Improvement.
Added a new tent for future era so that Units wouldn’t appear to be resting in animal hide tents in 2050.
Changed Heroes to use correct idle animation.
Fixed issue with Mounted Rifle holding weapon incorrectly.
Updated Spawn Envoy Power to use correct portrait.
Updated Jet Bomber and Supersonic Lancer, models and portraits.
Adjusted camera in Combat Viewer to prevent Units taking action from moving out of frame.
Updated Medieval era House model and portrait.
Updated Computer Lab.
Updated School District.
Adjusted Government UI to be more consistent with other UIs and to fix an issue with text overflow in some languages.
The tooltip for the Khan Unit now makes it clear that it is a limited lifespan Unit and shows the number of turns remaining.
Adjusted Victory / Defeat UI to prevent text overlap in some languages.
Adjusted Infopedia UI to prevent National Spirit text from being cut off in some languages.
Updated the Outbreak effect to make Plague Outbreaks easier to spot.
Updated the Organization Government icon so that it is easier to tell the difference between available and on cooldown.
Updated art in the Veterancy Infopedia entry to not be blurry.
Updated the Age Notification for the Age of Bronze.
Fixed an issue with how the Stationary Machine Gun was setup that could cause the destroyed version of the Unit to be shown when it was not destroyed.
Updated animation on the Knight Unit’s idle.

Multiplayer

Fixed Cloud Hotseat behavior if an upload to the cloud fails and you had to repeat the turn. Now, if an upload fails, when returning to the Cloud Hotseat games list, you will see an Upload button in the UI for that game. Clicking on the Upload button will attempt the upload to the cloud again. You can try until the upload is successful and then the game can continue.
Added details in the Cloud Hotseat menu to step through troubleshooting (currently only in English).
Fixed an issue in cloud hotseat where turn text would appear twice.
Fixed an issue with Unit skins not displaying correctly for players in multiplayer games.
Fixed an issue with incorrect text appearing when a multiplayer save was deleted.

Bugfixes

Fixed an issue with Needs calculations in Cities with Regional Efficiency Modifiers producing incorrect values in the sim. This could produce situations where, for example, you were 100% meeting Sanitation Need but the Plague Crisis was still increasing or where your Capital claimed population was growing but the actual population of the Capital decreased.
When the nameplate for a Capital City appeared over a Goods icon, the Goods icon was prioritized, so you’d get a tooltip for the Good instead of the City – adjusted this to give the nameplate priority.
Fixed an issue causing a missing letter for players in Türkiye (or any players with Turkish region settings in Windows).
Corrected description of Cultural Excellence.
Corrected typo in Blood Age Crisis warning message.
Adjusted Town Specialization UI to fix text overflowing the UI in some languages.
Fixed an issue with attempting to rebuild a ruined town and getting an incorrect failure message in cases where you cannot support another Town.
Fixed typo in a number of Diplomatic messages.
Fixed incorrect translation in Commission Research Project tooltip that was causing no value to be displayed.
Fixed a typo in Ingenuity Social Fabric tooltip.
Fixed display of total Research cost showing too many decimal places of precision.
Fixed display of Ideology showing too many decimal places of precision.
Fixed display of value of Recent Actions showing too many decimal places of precision.
Fixed typo in Faction Victory tooltip.
Fixed duplicate wording error in Diplomacy tooltips.
Combat modifiers of x1 are no longer displayed.
Barbarian Unit tooltips no longer show Unrest Suppression value.
Fixed an issue with notification not appearing when save / load screens are processing.
Fixed an issue where the time to complete a Technology that would finish in one turn displayed incorrectly.
Fixed the tooltip for Royal Court in Monarchy Government to display correct value.
Updated Welfare State from Political Science to function as intended.
Fixed an issue where it was possible to enter the Technology UI for another player in the game.
Fixed Abbey and Monastery to require Religion as intended.
Fixed an issue where the Age of Singularity Crisis Charge could show incorrectly in the Research UI.
Fixed an issue with some overlays displaying incorrectly.
Fixed an issue where camera movement when jumping to specific locations would sometimes cause a stutter and make clouds flicker.
Fixed an issue where razed Improvements were being incorrectly added in Needs and Resource displays.
Updated the tooltip for the Plague Doctor Unit to include that it clears Outbreaks in a radius around the Unit with the Cleanse Ability.
Updated the tooltip for the Call Reserves Power in the Age 2 Warrior Elite National Spirit to include that this Power heals an Army fully.
Updated the description of the Tinkerer Improvement, from the Tinkerer Ideal in the Age 4 Machinery National Spirit to clarify that the Improvement converts Tools into Machines.
Fixed several places where Culture Powers were referred to as “Cultural Powers.”

That is.. barely worth restarting a game for. Ah well.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

skeleton warrior posted:

You literally called what he posted "drek", i.e., poo poo, which is not something to do and then get angry about the response's tone.

That wasn't angry, that was responding in kind as an emphasis for how dumb it was. Except I didn't call him a dipshit.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
So Raiders are even better now that you can turn a pittance of warfare xp into 0-upkeep unrest-reducing garrisons forever?

And then there's a bunch of nerfs to late-game stuff. Seems uninteresting overall.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

Zurai posted:

That wasn't angry, that was responding in kind as an emphasis for how dumb it was. Except I didn't call him a dipshit.

Starting an argument in two different threads to defend the honour of the videogame makes you look insanely argumentative to everyone else, FYI.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

Having the ability to make cities for nonscaling 24 diplo points and 15 admin points each, is an exploit of clearly not intended mechanical interactions, yes.

The friend didn't go through any extra effort in this game, it was a normal game until he figured out in the middle of it that the exploit was possible and he dropped a few dozen cities in as many turns, and it's nowhere near close to being fully scaled yet. The maximizing setup I described is for the experimental game he's trying this out in.

Well, the screenshots you've posted just aren't anything abnormal. If the experimental game produces something that's actually out of scale with a normal game, that's a completely different matter and I have no problem eating my words and issuing an apology. As for the 24 diplo points per merchant thing, that's something to actually look into, because like I said, my game is 124 diplo per merchant after spawning just a handful and it's not like I've neglected my social fabrics. I'd definitely be interested in what's causing that interaction because that sounds like the real bug/exploit.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I love when a patch arrives and it literally does not address any complaints the community has. Maybe the next one will help?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Yeah, that patch isn't very impressive, but first patches for new games rarely are. Usually bigger changes require more time and testing. It's usually a month or so before you can expect really significant changes, at a minimum.

I should probably get an early Age of Conquest victory achievement before they nerf Raiders, now that I think about it...

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

twistedmentat posted:

I love when a patch arrives and it literally does not address any complaints the community has. Maybe the next one will help?

I mean development of this patch had to have been close to done when the game released so they haven’t really had time to collect feedback and integrate it into the game. That being said, with the exception of late game performance, have there been glaring issues people have brought up? I know we want more options regarding game set up, and multiplayer, but in terms of everything else there are a lot of very interconnected systems that I really think we need more time to figure out before what large changes are needed are clear.

skeleton warrior
Nov 12, 2016

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I mean development of this patch had to have been close to done when the game released so they haven’t really had time to collect feedback and integrate it into the game. That being said, with the exception of late game performance, have there been glaring issues people have brought up? I know we want more options regarding game set up, and multiplayer, but in terms of everything else there are a lot of very interconnected systems that I really think we need more time to figure out before what large changes are needed are clear.

I don't know that there are glaring issues in the sense of "this is broken and makes the game unplayable", but I'm a little miffed that the game clearly emphasizes having flat space around a city to build lots of buildings, then has the AI aggressively settle cities right up next to you without the ability to raze said cities. I feel that the game would be better and allow for more interesting play if you could raze small cities, build city buildings on hills, or begin clearing forests much earlier.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

skeleton warrior posted:

I don't know that there are glaring issues in the sense of "this is broken and makes the game unplayable", but I'm a little miffed that the game clearly emphasizes having flat space around a city to build lots of buildings, then has the AI aggressively settle cities right up next to you without the ability to raze said cities. I feel that the game would be better and allow for more interesting play if you could raze small cities, build city buildings on hills, or begin clearing forests much earlier.

I agree with all those things and hope they change them soon for sure. Especially razing. I don’t really get why razing wasn’t included from the start.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

I wonder if they’re gonna eventually add cosmetically differing unit/city styles. Would make starting civ have a bit more flavor. Kind of wild that there aren’t city styles at least but I guess it took the first civ 4 expansion for that, too

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

I think the preorder bonus has some alternate arts for specific units.

The first couple of DLCs are already announced. One adds an Atomic Age (something I noticed was completely missing from the game, no nukes, no nuclear power, no carriers), the other adds some ancient era uh, civics, whatever those are called (haven't internalized all the names yet). Both have a couple of other things but those were the headline items I noticed in the brief descriptions on Steam.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 19:59 on Apr 3, 2024

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?

FrancisFukyomama posted:

I wonder if they’re gonna eventually add cosmetically differing unit/city styles. Would make starting civ have a bit more flavor. Kind of wild that there aren’t city styles at least but I guess it took the first civ 4 expansion for that, too

At the very least this seems very moddable given the low res nature of everything anyway. But I would love to see it keep with the blank slate set up it has now and pick the palate not based on the civ, but on the government or other choices that you pick.

Zurai posted:

The first couple of DLCs are already announced. One adds an Atomic Age (something I noticed was completely missing from the game, no nukes, no nuclear power, no carriers), the other adds some ancient era uh, civics, whatever those are called (haven't internalized all the names yet). Both have a couple of other things but those were the headline items I noticed in the brief descriptions on Steam.

I wonder if atomic will be a variant or just another age. I don’t really want more ages played through in a game but more variants would be fun.

Mokotow
Apr 16, 2012

Zurai posted:

The next DLC introduces a whole new pre-tribal age, right?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

Had a quick peek at the steam page for the "full" (as much as we have right now) info.

The first DLC is Ancient World releasing in Q3 2024, with the following listed features:
A new nomadic game start option
A new National Spirit
A new economic Good
New Nation starting bonuses

The second is Atomic Ambitions in Q4:
Two new Ages
A new National Spirit
Nuclear options for the Strategic Warfare System.

And the cosmetic units aren't for preorder, they're part of the expansion pass. Just a reskin of the stone age warband and archer units, nothing else.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
Talked to the friend, he stopped playing the original game on turn 200 when he entered rocket age, at which point he started planning the experiment game.

He noticed that merchants drop in price whenever he converts one into a settler, while the cost of settlers goes up at the same time. So this is probably the source of the cheap merchants. Converting his ancient merchants recruited early on into settlers didn't change the price, so the game probably remembers the baseline of merchant cost when you first get some of the prerequisites to the conversion ability.

His shovel income was close to 500 at this point (and fairly irrelevant because specialists) and the gold income was around 7 or 8 thousand per turn.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

my dad posted:

He noticed that merchants drop in price whenever he converts one into a settler, while the cost of settlers goes up at the same time. So this is probably the source of the cheap merchants. Converting his ancient merchants recruited early on into settlers didn't change the price, so the game probably remembers the baseline of merchant cost when you first get some of the prerequisites to the conversion ability.

That's definitely... I can't say unintended because it probably isn't, but definitely exploitative, yeah. I'll give it a run in my next game, fiddle with it some myself. I think the merchants should probably continue to scale as you buy more even if you're turning them into settlers. Especially if you're turning them into settlers, honestly.

As described, it essentially makes settlers not scale in price, which is clearly not something they thought all the way through.

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER
...you can turn merchants into settlers?

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

CommissarMega posted:

...you can turn merchants into settlers?

Only with the Spice Merchants National Spirit.

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

i honestly havent been super impressed by raiders. their 0 upkeep is a thing, but they tend to get slaughtered in great numbers against a proper stack, even from someone without a warfare spirit.

Zurai
Feb 13, 2012

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

i honestly havent been super impressed by raiders. their 0 upkeep is a thing, but they tend to get slaughtered in great numbers against a proper stack, even from someone without a warfare spirit.

It's not just the free upkeep that makes Raiders OP. You get like 15 without spending a single production point or using any powers just by filling out the tree. They're also faster than other ancient units, get a 20% Combat bonus against militia, and are vampires that heal after every combat. Toss in a bit of Forced March and Reinforcements (both of which are stupid cheap in the ancient eras) you can pretty easily conquer the entire continent by the end of the third age without building a single military unit or researching a single military tech.

Plus the AI just doesn't build "proper stacks" except by mistake. I can't tell you how many Cannon/Cannon/Arquebus/Cannon/Arquebus stacks I saw while steamrolling Rome in my last game. There were some Pike/Grenadier/Mounted Rifle/Arquebus/Arquebus type stacks, but they were by far the minority.

Zurai fucked around with this message at 22:10 on Apr 3, 2024

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

Fork of Unknown Origins posted:

I wonder if atomic will be a variant or just another age. I don’t really want more ages played through in a game but more variants would be fun.

A pretty popular bit of speculation on the discord is we'll get one normal age for atomic power, and one variant/crisis age representing the world post global nuclear war.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Yeah, don't discount the bonus against militia. A full stack of raiders is a menace to an unguarded town even after raiders are obsolete, and can handle most cities before stone walls come into play. And you can have multiple stacks in addition to an actual production-built army if you plan on going conquering early.

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Finished up an Age of Harmony victory, can see why the first patch specifically addressed AI forming of religions because my religion basically took over my whole continent without me lifting a finger which allowed me to get into Harmony and get the stuff which lets me tell my friend AIs across the ocean to convert and it snowballed from there, partly because everyone else was so late getting their own religious foothold. Even managed to demand conversion from several of my enemies, probably because of my overwhelming power advantage? At that point I could just end turn to get to the 2/3rds threshold but it was slowly stalling around the 63% mark so I just took some stacks of Age VII units to Islamic Spain and ganked some of their cities to reduce the global population and convert them with my stock of Arts points.

Definitely not doing that again, partly cause it was only Age VII and I wanna see the rest of the game, partly cause it seems these devs still haven't solved the "religious victory is incredibly dull and agonizing" problem from Civ 6 and other similar titles. Went Ancient Seafarers->Explorers->Colonialism in my game since I started coastally which meant the seas were mine to command and I was swallowing up all the endless resources and XP from expeditions, hidden remote camps and deep sea discoveries. Feudal Monarchy is really dumb btw, I was spamming towns with all my culture for a good portion of Age V and VI and couldn't keep up with the growth at all and my 15 vassals were supplying about 70% of my total yields, it's pretty funny.

Will probably bump the difficulty up to Grand Master and see if I can do a proper "tall" game and see how much of a mega capital I can pull off within the constraints of the game.

After a full playthrough I am quite in love with a lot of the systems and the way they interact with each other, even if the balancing feels very off in some areas. What I am less in love with is the barebones UI, which becomes even more of a frustration as the game goes along and it adds more and more interworking systems with information that the UI really, really should be better conveying to the player. What I absolutely don't love at all is how poorly the game performs later on, making turns take way longer than they should cause there's all sorts of lag everywhere.

Super Jay Mann fucked around with this message at 23:27 on Apr 3, 2024

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Yeah, figures that patch won't be changing much if it was a pre-release work. Oh well.

At least the dev diary kinda infers you'll be able to do something with vassal cities in the first real update. I'm presuming you'll get the event to either conquer them outright or do the raze and take two citizens thing that you can get with minor nations.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

skeleton warrior posted:

Yea this was a big one, and the general hyper aggressiveness of the AI in all things. And the side effects of that being the AI is extremely bad at running its empires outside of military and expansion. Hence the constant age of plagues and revolts. I had a AI civ have a revolt at a boarder city and the rebels attacked me.

At least the revolts are being delt with. Because of the age of plagues, I have never seen the later ages because there goes 200 turns of the game. I cannot get over how stupid the age of plagues is. And the only way to prevent it is to go for age of kings. Everyone keeps talking about taking Age of Heroes but I never find any landmarks before the AI does.

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God

twistedmentat posted:

Yea this was a big one, and the general hyper aggressiveness of the AI in all things. And the side effects of that being the AI is extremely bad at running its empires outside of military and expansion. Hence the constant age of plagues and revolts. I had a AI civ have a revolt at a boarder city and the rebels attacked me.

At least the revolts are being delt with. Because of the age of plagues, I have never seen the later ages because there goes 200 turns of the game. I cannot get over how stupid the age of plagues is. And the only way to prevent it is to go for age of kings. Everyone keeps talking about taking Age of Heroes but I never find any landmarks before the AI does.

In six games I've never actually seen Age of Plagues, but had the AI lead me into Age of Heroes once. Come to think of it I wonder if that's a result of playing on Master, maybe the bonuses the AI is getting is making it easier to achieve age requirements.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Bremen posted:

In six games I've never actually seen Age of Plagues, but had the AI lead me into Age of Heroes once. Come to think of it I wonder if that's a result of playing on Master, maybe the bonuses the AI is getting is making it easier to achieve age requirements.

Maybe because I'm still playing at novice (and still getting my rear end kicked by the AI despite everything), the AI is just dumb?

How the heck do you avoid an age of intollerance? I founded a religion and 5 turns later i'm locked into it, and the charge just keeps climbing. Religion in this game is really strangely implemented.

I built temples and shrines everywhere, but it wasn't enough.

Fork of Unknown Origins
Oct 21, 2005
Gotta Herd On?
I think you need to wait to found the religion until you research organized religion so you can get religious needs spun up quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Jay Mann
Nov 6, 2008

Castles with abbeys are a good way to get some needed faith if you really don't want to invest in the other buildings/supply chains and can spare the pioneers.