Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Staluigi
Jun 22, 2021

Kith posted:

always fun to see moms get wrecked hard

My google searches to follow this story are going awry

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. Grumpybones
Apr 18, 2002
"We're falling out of the sky! We're going down! We're a silver gleaming death machine!"
Include BBC in your search, they’ve done some great reporting on the subject

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Regarding tired driving chat: I do not drive.

I have narcolepsy. My not driving is from before the narcolepsy diagnosis, but now that I have it, it pretty much stopped all of the little "maybe I should get a licence and cheap car anyhow" thoughts I used to have entirely. It's simply not safe. I will say that my sister mentioned to a neurologist once that she had a brother with narcolepsy who didn't drive, and he said "that makes sense. Other vehicles have a tendency to seemingly just appear for them, which can be scary." And that IS at least part of what always stopped me. The ability to track information and react to it is dramatically different when tired, which I can be, at any time, for no loving reason.

But people will regularly and deliberately put themselves into a similar state, and it's fine. Hell, it's treated as virtuous to power through. Nose to the grindstone and all that. Working yourself to exhaustion and then endangering yourself and others for the privilege to continue working yourself to exhaustion is not a virtue.

What is actually insane is that vehicular operation is both one of the most common job fields in the country and also one almost synonymous with long hours and poor rest.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, elon is a dickhead depression spiral and only gets dopamine hits from chuds clapping and laughing for him. so he is gonna keep diving and diving.

He's also one of those weirdo breeder fetishists.

Dirt5o8
Nov 6, 2008

EUGENE? Where's my fuckin' money, Eugene?

Veryslightlymad posted:

Regarding tired driving chat: I do not drive.

I have narcolepsy. My not driving is from before the narcolepsy diagnosis, but now that I have it, it pretty much stopped all of the little "maybe I should get a licence and cheap car anyhow" thoughts I used to have entirely. It's simply not safe. I will say that my sister mentioned to a neurologist once that she had a brother with narcolepsy who didn't drive, and he said "that makes sense. Other vehicles have a tendency to seemingly just appear for them, which can be scary." And that IS at least part of what always stopped me. The ability to track information and react to it is dramatically different when tired, which I can be, at any time, for no loving reason.

But people will regularly and deliberately put themselves into a similar state, and it's fine. Hell, it's treated as virtuous to power through. Nose to the grindstone and all that. Working yourself to exhaustion and then endangering yourself and others for the privilege to continue working yourself to exhaustion is not a virtue.

What is actually insane is that vehicular operation is both one of the most common job fields in the country and also one almost synonymous with long hours and poor rest.

I would definitely not say what I do is virtuous. But what am I going to do in upstate NY when I know I have a steady paycheck, can keep my kid isolated from the meth addicted wasteland of my hometown, and make sure my wife's million dollar healthcare needs are met?

I'm going to drive 2.5 hours a day, balls tired. If I had a choice, I wouldn't. Just like any sane person if they had the option.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Kith posted:

always fun to see moms get wrecked hard

:hmmyes:

For content, apparently elon's still pushing the "importing illegal dem voters" thing. Really cool.

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Apr 3, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The FCC is finally, finally, preparing to restore net neutrality, by voting to do so on April 25. The policy was enacted by the Obama FCC, repealed by the Trump FCC, and its return was extensively delayed by Biden's travails while attempting to fill the vacant commission seats.

quote:

FCC Chair Jessica Rosenworcel confirmed the planned commission vote in an interview with Reuters.

"The pandemic made clear that broadband is an essential service, that every one of us - no matter who we are or where we live - needs it to have a fair shot at success in the digital age," she said.

An essential service requires oversight and in this case we are just putting back in place the rules that have already been court-approved that ensures that broadband access is fast, open and fair."

Reinstating the rules has been a priority for President Joe Biden, who signed a July 2021 executive order encouraging the FCC to reinstate net neutrality rules adopted under Democratic President Barack Obama.

Net neutrality is the principle that all internet traffic should be handled equally, and not interfered with or given preferential treatment based on its origin or content. In practice a lack of net neutrality leads to things like Netflix getting better performance over cellular networks than competing video streamers, or Comcast not counting Peacock usage against your bandwidth cap.

Bel Shazar
Sep 14, 2012

Xiahou Dun posted:

Remember months ago when I said I really hope the dems put some really popular things like abortion and weed up for a vote to increase turn out?

I was talking about this.

Such positive moves... it's too bad they're making them while also supporting a genocide :/

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
Biden could get my vote by ending support for Israel's genocide and also doing something about all these god drat spam calls

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Professor Beetus posted:

Biden could get my vote by ending support for Israel's genocide and also doing something about all these god drat spam calls

wasnt the fed already looking into ending spam calls for a while? worst i get are political spam texts now.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
The FCC has taken several steps against spam calls but since spammers are generally scumbags they're probably not going to be able to get it down to zero while it's still possible to receive calls from previously uncontacted numbers at all

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

haveblue posted:

The FCC has taken several steps against spam calls but since spammers are generally scumbags they're probably not going to be able to get it down to zero while it's still possible to receive calls from previously uncontacted numbers at all

Judging by my phone calls "not getting it down to zero" is getting rid of essentially none of them. I had one at 7:30 am local time the other day. Most of my spam calls are from dirtbag real estate people trying to low-ball me for property I don't even own. The disadvantage to having a real old number I guess is that once your number is out there, nothing's going to stop anyone from calling you.

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

Professor Beetus posted:

Judging by my phone calls "not getting it down to zero" is getting rid of essentially none of them. I had one at 7:30 am local time the other day. Most of my spam calls are from dirtbag real estate people trying to low-ball me for property I don't even own. The disadvantage to having a real old number I guess is that once your number is out there, nothing's going to stop anyone from calling you.

My pixel is worth its weight in gold because it automatically screens all the spam calls and if it isn't sure it answers for me and asks them what they want then types their reply on the screen so I can decide to answer or not.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

this thread maybe doesnt have room for 2 green xbox one avs
https://www.politico.com/news/2024/04/03/biden-israel-strike-aid-workers-gaza-00150356

It's amazing how much Biden is willing to throw America under the bus to prop up Israel.

He's real mad though! (in private):

quote:

President Joe Biden was privately enraged by the deadly strike and in a public statement upbraided Israel for it, calling for “accountability” to those responsible and demanding more humanitarian assistance be allowed into Gaza. But two senior administration officials said that is as far as he and the White House will go for now.

SpeedFreek
Jan 10, 2008
And Im Lobster Jesus!

Professor Beetus posted:

Who takes them up on their offer of 10% of tax assessment value?

I'm getting a few per day about low-ball offers for my place. They never take me up on my counter offer of 3x assessment value.

Comstar
Apr 20, 2007

Are you happy now?
edit removed. Turns out its news from 3 weeks ago and probably an april fools joke, the thread updated as I was posting. Sorry about that.

Comstar fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Apr 3, 2024

metachronos
Sep 11, 2001

When I roll, baby I roll DEEP
The very progressive candidate won my district for county board but there were some real fuckin' freaks that won in other places so I have mixed feelings. There was one candidate that looks like The Smiler from Transmetropolitan that got bodied so I feel good about that too at least.

Iamgoofball
Jul 1, 2015

Professor Beetus posted:

cell providers are the ones loving it up here, they're intentionally dragging their feet on implementation on poo poo like STIR/SHAKEN because it's costly and corporations have collectively realized that if a dem president/congress/senate does something they can just go "NUH UH" and hold it up in courts until the republicans undo it for them

yronic heroism
Oct 31, 2008

“Natural birth control” is three words.

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

RealityWarCriminal posted:

Apologies if this is off topic but are you working for the Biden campaign this year?

never did paid work for em in the last general, which would make it much easier to free up time

I don't expect to have a whole lot of volunteer hours free for politics this time around but I'll probably do a few hours text banking here and there after the nomination. Our Senate challenger in Texas has worse opinions than Biden and doesn't feel especially more exciting, so upticket it is unless I'm missing someone cool for a state office or House Rep. Which is possible.

If Gutierrez had gotten the senate nomination I'd be enthusiastically volunteering for him. Alas.

I feel like I did have some success swaying our delegates to the state convention toward good opinions. We'll see how that goes though.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

haveblue posted:

Biden could go on TV tomorrow and tell America that he was going to start drone striking spam callers and borders would not stop him and America's reaction to this would be to repeal the 22nd Amendment.

theCalamity
Oct 23, 2010

Cry Havoc and let slip the Hogs of War
https://x.com/albamonica/status/1775608885207818519?s=46

quote:

Ahmad, the doctor who left the meeting, said he plans to go back to Gaza soon and is “legitimately concerned that I may be killed in the process.”

If that happened, he said, “it’s hard to think” it could happen from a “2,000-pound bomb that the U.S. gave to Israel.”

“That my government would have had a hand in that, I just hate that,” he said. “That’s kind of the thoughts that are crossing my mind.”

That’s pretty harrowing. There’s something so heartless about seeing pictures of malnourished kids and women and saying that you’ve seen them before even though they’re new pictures taken by that doctor themselves. And even with seeing all of that and hearing their concerns, Biden still won’t support a permanent ceasefire

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
Netanyahu more or less openly supported Trump during the 2020 election. I wonder if that will hold in 2024, given Biden's near-total support for Israel's genocide campaign.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

cat botherer posted:

Netanyahu more or less openly supported Trump during the 2020 election. I wonder if that will hold in 2024, given Biden's near-total support for Israel's genocide campaign.
There may be Israeli elections again in September because the people there are pissed at Bibi for many reasons.

I don't know who is currently advising Biden on I/P policy, but I find it completely insane that he is essentially hurting his own re-election and supporting this very right wing Israeli government full-stop, no matter what they do regarding Gaza. He was smart enough to realize that Afghanistan was a disaster and that we needed to get out, but constant headlines of children starving to death in Gaza because of US policy/support is apparently OK.

run on sentience
Mar 22, 2022
He's a bloodthirsty Zionist. He knows he's old as gently caress with one foot in the grave, so why not use his remaining time to help Israel eradicate Palestine as he's always dreamed of? His legacy will be as the war criminal Genocide Joe, and he's glad of it. He clearly doesn't give a single gently caress about America or the rest of the world either if he's willing to let Trump get reelected and watch it all burn.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

cat botherer posted:

A good and useful question (well, I disagree with some of your implied premises herel but can we please put a hold on this topic - the israeli invasion, including electoral implications - until Koos gets back to it? It's clearly absorbing 90% of the thread's attention, again, and not improving posting quality, again. I gave him a jingle.

To be the change I want to see, this looks like kinda a big deal that slid under the radar because it's federal rulemaking:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/t...es/202404020056

significant alterations to train staffing and labor requirements related to both that one big derail and the general state of the industry. See also the union negotiations a bit ago.

quote:

OGINREGISTER
NEWSLETTERS
ADVERTISEMENT

WASHINGTON, DC - APRIL 02: U.S. Transportation Secretary Pete Buttigieg (2nd L) speaks as during an announcement at the Department of Transportation on April 2, 2024 in Washington, DC. Buttigieg announced that a new rule requiring two-person train crews to improve safety precaution in train operation. (Photo by Alex Wong/Getty Images)5MORE
New Biden administration rule would require two-person train crews
The proposal was a sticking point in legislation introduced after the East Palestine derailment
Pittsburgh Post-Gazette logo
JONATHAN D. SALANT
Post-Gazette Washington Bureau
jsalant@post-gazette.com
APR 3, 2024 11:53 AM
WASHINGTON — Freight railroads would be required to have two crew members aboard in most cases under a new rule announced Tuesday in response to the Norfolk Southern derailment in East Palestine, Ohio.

The new rule sets federal standards for staffing freight trains and requires railroads to seek permission from the Federal Railroad Administration to run trains with a single employee. That process also would allow communities and railroad workers to weigh in before a final decision is made.

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

theCalamity posted:

https://x.com/albamonica/status/1775608885207818519?s=46

That’s pretty harrowing. There’s something so heartless about seeing pictures of malnourished kids and women and saying that you’ve seen them before even though they’re new pictures taken by that doctor themselves. And even with seeing all of that and hearing their concerns, Biden still won’t support a permanent ceasefire

Clearly this is his pudding brains striking again, like those pics of beheaded babies he totally saw and cried about

Goatse James Bond posted:

A good and useful question (well, I disagree with some of your implied premises herel but can we please put a hold on this topic - the israeli invasion, including electoral implications - until Koos gets back to it? It's clearly absorbing 90% of the thread's attention, again, and not improving posting quality, again. I gave him a jingle.

I'm confused, didn't Koos already say that the Israel discussion in this thread (ie: how it relates to Biden and the US) was fine despite the current situation with the I/P thread?

Koos Group posted:

I believe I was very clear that the thread was closed because our lack of capacity to moderate it caused it to fall below D&D standards. I'd like to have it back up as soon as possible and I'm currently looking for an IK. I'd also appreciate any suggestions for one via PMs, though not in the thread, as I must again ask everyone not to interrupt debate and discussion to express discontentment with forum issues.

That part I probably wasn't clear enough about. The thread closure should not be dodged by discussing the topic in and of itself elsewhere, but insofar as it's relevant to another thread (such as effects the conflict has on other countries in the ME thread, or America's role in it here in USCE), that is still allowed. Tnega's post is fine, for example.

koolkal fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Apr 4, 2024

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

You are correct, I missed that post. Carry on (as long as it's definitely related to us current events or politics).

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

cat botherer posted:

Trump is not on the same page as far right hawks right now, probably because Netanyahu dared to recognize Biden as winner of the election, never mind that Netanyahu openly endorsed Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/politics/trump-israel-conservative.html

Trump’s Call for Israel to ‘Finish Up’ War Alarms Some on the Right
Recent remarks he made urging an end to the Gaza conflict, with no insistence on freeing Israeli hostages first, were another departure from conservatives’ support for Benjamin Netanyahu.

quote:

But there is no getting around the division between Mr. Trump and congressional Republicans, who seem to be competing to see who can more ostentatiously demonstrate support for Mr. Netanyahu’s government. They are flying to Israel to meet with Mr. Netanyahu, planning to invite him to address Congress and generally urging Israel to do whatever it takes, for as long as it takes, to annihilate Hamas.

In contrast, Mr. Trump’s hedging commentary to Israel Hayom is only the latest in a long line of public statements he has made to undercut Mr. Netanyahu, whom he has still not forgiven for congratulating Mr. Biden as the winner of the 2020 election.

In 2021, Mr. Trump told the Axios journalist Barak Ravid that he had concluded that Mr. Netanyahu “never wanted peace” with the Palestinians.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Name Change posted:

Trump is not on the same page as far right hawks right now, probably because Netanyahu dared to recognize Biden as winner of the election, never mind that Netanyahu openly endorsed Trump.

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/04/01/us/politics/trump-israel-conservative.html

Trump’s Call for Israel to ‘Finish Up’ War Alarms Some on the Right
Recent remarks he made urging an end to the Gaza conflict, with no insistence on freeing Israeli hostages first, were another departure from conservatives’ support for Benjamin Netanyahu.

He wants Israel to genocide them more quickly

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!
Blake Masters is apparently running for congress, and whoever is making his ads thinks the nazi gun ad from his senate campaign was too subtle.

https://twitter.com/MastersPress/status/1775535844884893912

edit: also one of the quotes is cited to ronpaulforums.com from 2009

James Garfield fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Apr 4, 2024

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

FlamingLiberal posted:

There may be Israeli elections again in September because the people there are pissed at Bibi for many reasons.

I don't know who is currently advising Biden on I/P policy, but I find it completely insane that he is essentially hurting his own re-election and supporting this very right wing Israeli government full-stop, no matter what they do regarding Gaza. He was smart enough to realize that Afghanistan was a disaster and that we needed to get out, but constant headlines of children starving to death in Gaza because of US policy/support is apparently OK.

Things are about to escalate between the the US and Israel. Sooooo normally when PREPOs or other military supply / logistics vessels get deployed they turn off the AIS. If one searches for them one gets no information or a false destination (NUNYA) and no track.

That is not currently the case for the vessels announced to be getting ready to deploy JLOTS. They are letting everyone watch.

The first army vessel is currently enroute and off the coast of North Africa.

The two navy PREPOs vessels are the real meat and potatoes of the thing in my opinion. Currently the Lopez is enroute having departed Blount Island. Hey there is a NUNYA, but they didn’t turn off the track.

The Bobo is the other one and it’s currently loading at Blount Island.

I don’t think the World Central Kitchen thing was an accident. I think it’s an explicit threat. Within the next month that temporary pier is going to be up and running.

Whatever is going to happen is going to happen in the next 30 days (and to me they’re keeping up with the 60 day goal announced March 1). They’re either going to be feeding everyone in Gaza or Israel is going to do something unprecedented. The news at the end of the month is going to be wild.

This is all public right now fwiw y’all can watch on whatever public AIS service you prefer.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don’t think the World Central Kitchen thing was an accident. I think it’s an explicit threat. Within the next month that temporary pier is going to be up and running.

Whatever is going to happen is going to happen in the next 30 days (and to me they’re keeping up with the 60 day goal announced March 1). They’re either going to be feeding everyone in Gaza or Israel is going to do something unprecedented. The news at the end of the month is going to be wild.

This is all public right now fwiw y’all can watch on whatever public AIS service you prefer.

i'm not so optimistic that the us is about to force the issue. biden was pretty specific on "no boots on the ground", and i haven't heard anything about that changing. wouldn't be surprising if they roll everything out and then shrug when everyone trying to got to the temporary pier to distribute are picked off

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Please tell me this is intentional and means "none (of) ya business"

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

i'm not so optimistic that the us is about to force the issue. biden was pretty specific on "no boots on the ground", and i haven't heard anything about that changing. wouldn't be surprising if they roll everything out and then shrug when everyone trying to got to the temporary pier to distribute are picked off

Think about the logistics of what’s already happened and how much money that takes and the folks that had to be activated to make it happen. This is already in not loving around extremely serious land. If they’re going to shrug they wouldn’t send these vessels.

Unless you see those ships turn around they’re going to force the issue.

Wayne Knight
May 11, 2006

KillHour posted:

Please tell me this is intentional and means "none (of) ya business"

YOUR TAX DOLLARS AT WORK

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Bar Ran Dun posted:

I don't follow any of this, what are these ships and why does this indicate anything?

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Blarghalt posted:

Biden could go on TV tomorrow and tell America that he was going to start drone striking spam callers and borders would not stop him and America's reaction to this would be to repeal the 22nd Amendment.

If Biden did this I would commit voter fraud to vote for him as many times as possible in states where it would actually matter

koolkal
Oct 21, 2008

Someone just needs to go on Morning Joe and tell him all the spam callers are Arabs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tnega
Oct 26, 2010

Pillbug

Goatse James Bond posted:

https://www.post-gazette.com/news/t...es/202404020056

significant alterations to train staffing and labor requirements related to both that one big derail and the general state of the industry. See also the union negotiations a bit ago.
A good rule of thumb is to read the articles you post.

Post Gazette posted:

Most trains — including the one that derailed in East Palestine — run with at least two-person crews.
Typically crew size is dealt with in bargaining agreements. And the teeth that unions have in bargaining is the ability to strike. You know, the thing Biden prevented the last four from doing over sick pay. So... the Biden administration sets a rule that relies on Cheveron Deference, and can be changed if the democratic party loses an election (or SCOTUS decides Chevron has to go), and it is something that doesn't change the status quo much, and we are expected to call it a win?