Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
On the topic of TNG, I finally started watching it and a lot of the season 1 episodes are ROUGH. Still decently entertaining though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
Yeah, it's not just the africa planet episode that sucks. a lot of it is just poo poo for a bit

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
The new Matrix is retelling from the machines' perspective and the machines are only keeping the human in jello to prevent them from killing each other with nuclear weapons.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Sunk Dunk posted:

On the topic of TNG, I finally started watching it and a lot of the season 1 episodes are ROUGH. Still decently entertaining though.
Season 1 is the worst the show ever is, thankfully. Although there are stinkers in Season 2 (particularly Shades of Gray, which had to be a clip show because they blew the budget too much and had almost nothing left for the end of the season).

The pacing in Season 1 is also extremely slow in most of the episodes. I'm glad they eventually sped it up by Season 3, which is when the show really becomes the show that people love.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
It really goes to show how different TV was in 1987. Season 1 seems really bad, but it was big hit. I mean it's 1987, what the gently caress else are you gonna watch?

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

Gutcruncher posted:

So does the matrix encompass the entire planet or is it like only 1999 LA exists?
that was actually sydney australia

if they filmed in l.a. people would be like wtf is this poo poo lol

it's just like a greyish-brown skinrash of a city. godzilla wouldn't even take a crap in here

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

dr_rat posted:

like the AI's could have much more easily just programed everyone to think they were in prison cells or something.

that was the second matrix which was where the albino twins came from

Endless Trash
Aug 12, 2007

Cubone posted:

that was actually sydney australia

if they filmed in l.a. people would be like wtf is this poo poo lol

it's just like a greyish-brown skinrash of a city. godzilla wouldn't even take a crap in here

Good we don’t want Godzilla here he’s a loving rear end in a top hat

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

Endless Trash posted:

Good we don’t want Godzilla here he’s a loving rear end in a top hat

What Gozilla's just a good lizard that protect humanity.

Now humanity they're the loving assholes.

sweet geek swag
Mar 29, 2006

Adjust lasers to FUN!

FlamingLiberal posted:

Season 1 is the worst the show ever is, thankfully. Although there are stinkers in Season 2 (particularly Shades of Gray, which had to be a clip show because they blew the budget too much and had almost nothing left for the end of the season).

The pacing in Season 1 is also extremely slow in most of the episodes. I'm glad they eventually sped it up by Season 3, which is when the show really becomes the show that people love.

I'm pretty sure Shades of Grey happened because of a Writer's Strike.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The thing about Star Trek, especially TNG, is that even the bad episodes will always have some memorable scene in them that you'll remember.

Peak Performance is a lovely season 2 episode but it also has Picard's speech about doing everything right and still losing, and it also has Data trolling an alien into rage quitting a video game.

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.

colonelwest posted:

There’s hardly anyone alive in America today who doesn’t wish it was perpetually 1999.
dude 1999 was bullshit you literally could get arrested for sucking dick

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Cubone posted:

dude 1999 was bullshit you literally could get arrested for sucking dick

that made it cool tho

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

Arc Hammer posted:

Wesley has maybe two, possibly three episodes which are good but they're primarily good in spite of Wheaton's acting. The First Duty is a good episode.

I also have to confess a fondness for The Game, but not for Wesley, for the schlocky premise and a schoolboy crush on Ashley Judd as Robin Lefler.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

That ep that had the insanely sexy dumb people wearing next to nothing that were gonna kill wesley for crashing into their greenhouse or whatever sticks in my mind but mostly for their outfits

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

priznat posted:

That ep that had the insanely sexy dumb people wearing next to nothing that were gonna kill wesley for crashing into their greenhouse or whatever sticks in my mind but mostly for their outfits

Picard taking their utterly insane culture seriously is very funny

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

PostNouveau posted:

tbf they did have some super advanced alien space station backing them up

Crescent Wrench
Sep 30, 2005

The truth is usually just an excuse for a lack of imagination.
Grimey Drawer

PostNouveau posted:

Until the climax when they say "gently caress this" and just beam Wesley off the planet and run away :laffo:

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

Offense is overrated anyway.

picard had a perfectly good excuse to get rid of wesley for good and he blew it. you know the only reason picard didn't go all in on pursuing beverly was that he didn't want that disappointing little wiener to be his son

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

*Extremely wisely* Perhaps, in the eyes of other cultures, ours would appear to be the insane one

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
The episode where Sarek has Space Alzheimers is hilarious because Wesley gets smacked by Beverly and yet he's still somehow not as pathetic as Geordi when they start arguing about women. Wesley never needed to gently caress a hologram of the Enterprise programmed to look like Leah Brahms.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

picard had a perfectly good excuse to get rid of wesley for good and he blew it. you know the only reason picard didn't go all in on pursuing beverly was that he didn't want that disappointing little wiener to be his son
Then he ends up with an even bigger weiner later on as a son

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Hmmmm, on the one, I won't have to deal with this annoying kid who keeps hanging out on the bridge all the time. On the other hand, Dr. Crusher will never gently caress me again if I let these aliens murder her son. Decisions, decisions.

Stink Billyums
Jul 7, 2006

MAGNUM
see this is how you hedge potential audience blowback, on the one hand silver surfer is a girl, on the other hand boobs.
https://twitter.com/CultureCrave/status/1775630437203021994

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Lol caring about the silver surfer

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Can't wait to hear about Galactus' push notification character

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

No Mods No Masters posted:

*Extremely wisely* Perhaps, in the eyes of other cultures, ours would appear to be the insane one

I know you're being sarcastic but also like, have you seen our culture?

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

FlamingLiberal posted:

Then he ends up with an even bigger weiner later on as a son

I care nothing for the adventures of robo-picard and his army of assholes

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Nefarious 2.0 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oxopd_qSVKo

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Norrin Radd is a boy’s name!! :mad:

Outpost22
Oct 11, 2012

RIP Screamy You were too good for this world.
Why noy a gold or bronze surfer?

EDIT: Is it cause they're not alliterative?

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Silver surfer had a female counterpart in Nova but she didn’t get a surfboard.

She was smarter than the surfer tho and would just lead galactus to planets without sentient life for him to eat.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Arc Hammer posted:

The thing about Star Trek, especially TNG, is that even the bad episodes will always have some memorable scene in them that you'll remember.

You're thinking of DS9. TNG is still an above-average TV show for sure, but it definitely has some episodes that you could skip without missing anything of value. (Not that you should. That's prime laundry folding time!)

ahhh beat me to it

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

stephenthinkpad posted:

I bet they are waiting for Bruce Willis death to announce the Die Hard reboot.

Dude still alive?

Any new Die Hard movie should be about the Gruber brothers as they become part of German revolutionary groups in the late 60s/early 70s.

Taking advantage of all the members of the various counterculture groups they work with and their own growing fame as heroes of the cause, they keep up the act to use terrorist acts to hide their real goals of just being thieves.

Last scene in the movie is them on the run and hiding in NYC in the mid-70s as they plan their next move. Their stolen car gets a parking ticket from a young John McClane, who is complaining about his shoes killing his feet.

Kingo Ligma
Aug 24, 2019

Ask me about calling people racist because I failed geography.

priznat posted:

Hot naked people who are keen to gently caress all the time and want to kill Wesley Crusher are so perfect a creation they're the most effective proof possible for the existence of God.

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.

Arc Hammer posted:

Sir Lemming posted:

You're thinking of DS9. TNG is still an above-average TV show for sure, but it definitely has some episodes that you could skip without missing anything of value. (Not that you should. That's prime laundry folding time!)

It really sucks that the second best Klingon to ever appear on screen only shows up twice. Once in one of the worst episodes of DS9 and once more in a thoroughly mediocre episode of DS9.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Kingo Ligma posted:

Hot naked people who are keen to gently caress all the time and want to kill Wesley Crusher are so perfect a creation they're the most effective proof possible for the existence of God.

I would worship a temperamental space anomaly for sure if it kept all those hotties running around in skimpy outfits.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

counterfeitsaint posted:

It really sucks that the second best Klingon to ever appear on screen only shows up twice. Once in one of the worst episodes of DS9 and once more in a thoroughly mediocre episode of DS9.

First best is obviously Gowron right

counterfeitsaint
Feb 26, 2010

I'm a girl, and you're
gnomes, and it's like
what? Yikes.
Gowron is a distant fifth.

1. General Mutha Fuckin MARTOK
2. Klingon Chef
3. Tony Todd
4. General Mutha Fuckin MARTOK (Changeling)
5. Gowron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nefarious 2.0
Apr 22, 2008

where does christopher lloyd rank?