Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

ImpAtom posted:

In the manga Light gets shot down and dies pathetically on the floor of the warehouse, Ryuk kind of smugly writing his name in the Death Note as Light pleas for him not to and Ryuk basically mocks him for being so pathetic in his last moments.. It's really shameful and really gives him the undignified ending everything was leading up to.

I like that the live action movie took this ending

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
The anime also fast forwarded through the Near and Mello stuff compared to the manga, which basically made them come across as even worse than they already do.

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

ImpAtom posted:

I think Assassination Classroom ended pretty well.

Yeah, Yusei Matsui is two for two with good shonen endings, between rear end Class and Majin Tantei Nougami Neuro.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Casey Finnigan posted:

i still see no way that deku can justifiably end up being called the "greatest hero" by the end of this manga

AFO is the source of all the bad things. Be beating the source of all bad things he becomes the greatest, and last, hero because everyone else is put out of a job with no new villains to stop.

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well yeah. I do dislike that, because it's dumb and contrived.

Are there any shonen series that have a good ending anyway? Between this, people hating JJK's final boss fight, people hating Demon Slayer's ending... I mean even the Buu saga in DBZ was rear end

Zatch Bell had a pretty good ending. It still fell into a lot of the common problems of these shonen fight man series finales but it was a lot better than most.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!
honestly shigaraki is such a cartoonishly apocalyptic threat to the literal earth that I can believe deku getting the title (even if he just pasted the guy).

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
See, in world Deku nuking his own powers but becoming "the greatest hero" kind of makes sense.

But as a reader it seems kind of dumb and stupid. Like a lot of the writing decisions made. But hey, I want to see what lackluster ending we get at this point.

Also "Deku hugged the evil out if Shiggy and he's fine now" would be a *terrible* ending because what, we're just gonna go "well he said sorry, boys will be boys?" or he gets sent to prison but with his friends so it's all good? That'd be a great way to really land a lovely ending lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Fullmetal Alchemist had a top tier ending.

This is both true and telling, because the series mentioned in the post you replied to are all Shonen Jump series, like MHA, while Fullmetal Alchemist is most assuredly not, having been serialized in Square Enix's Monthly Shonen Gangan.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
There are early text spoilers out on reddit and I have to post about them.

Shiggy’s dad didn’t even want more kids but AfO told him to have another kid explicitly so he could give them a quirk, which was originally identical to Overhaul’s quirk but they modified out the reconstruction aspect so it would just disintegrate. This knowledge caused a complete ego collapse of Shigaraki who then disintegrates into nothing, Deku is kicked out of the mind world missing his arms for some reason. AfO is in control of Shiggy but Cero suddenly ties up ShiggyfO with his tape and then Sugar Rush and Ojiro arrive as backup. I saw some pictures of armless Deku so this might actually be real lmao

FireWorksWell
Nov 27, 2014

Let's go do some hero shit!

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Shiggy’s dad didn’t even want more kids but AfO told him to have another kid explicitly so he could give them a quirk, which was originally identical to Overhaul’s quirk but they modified out the reconstruction aspect so it would just disintegrate. This knowledge caused a complete ego collapse of Shigaraki who then disintegrates into nothing, Deku is kicked out of the mind world missing his arms for some reason. AfO is in control of Shiggy but Cero suddenly ties up ShiggyfO with his tape and then Sugar Rush and Ojiro arrive as backup. I saw some pictures of armless Deku so this might actually be real lmao

Lmao

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I thought that was a shitpost because it hits on stuff that was brought up the last few pages but no I went to look and there is indeed a post on the MHA sub with these contents.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Do you want to know what we do to artists?
:lmao: if that's true, then I guess kid Deku sacrificing his hands to hold Tenko's wasn't just a visual metaphor for their mind place? Deku, you really beefed it on this one.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

PringleCreamEgg posted:

to coincide with the solar eclipse, we have the convergence of MHA and JJK

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Sure, why not?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Casey Finnigan posted:

Well yeah. I do dislike that, because it's dumb and contrived.

Are there any shonen series that have a good ending anyway? Between this, people hating JJK's final boss fight, people hating Demon Slayer's ending... I mean even the Buu saga in DBZ was rear end

HXH, Beelzebub, Mob Psycho

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
HxH will never end

Woozie66
Sep 8, 2009

I'll wait for the next era

hatty posted:

The Buu saga ruled

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

hatty posted:

HxH will never end

The anime ended. it counts.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
The worst manga endings are the ones where protagonists end up saying “wow, main villain who did war crimes was the coolest guy” like Naruto or Hoshin Engi.

Also with regards to those spoilers the source seems to reliably post the text spoilers and have them be accurate, but I can’t help but feel like it’s an april fool. It’s seriously the dumbest thing imaginable. I love it lmao

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
God I hope those are real.

Fat and Useless
Sep 3, 2011

Not Thin and Useful

PringleCreamEgg posted:

This is the best possible ending.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

The worst manga endings are the ones where protagonists end up saying “wow, main villain who did war crimes was the coolest guy” like Naruto or Hoshin Engi.

Does that include Shaman King?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Blueberry Pancakes posted:

Does that include Shaman King?

No Shaman King is even worse bc the bad guy never even gets beaten.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Kild posted:

No Shaman King is even worse bc the bad guy never even gets beaten.

I can't remember how shaman ends because it's been a long time and the last like, big arc is kind of just not fun to read. But is that the one where the villain peaces out on a ghost train?

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
The spoilers are mostly foreshadowed like a lot of other stuff. I was wondering when some stuff would get a callback.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Nuebot posted:

I can't remember how shaman ends because it's been a long time and the last like, big arc is kind of just not fun to read. But is that the one where the villain peaces out on a ghost train?

Every character shows up on a ghost train along with his mom then he cries bc he was doing all the bad stuff because his mom died and Yoh convinces him to give humanity another chance but it'll only last so many years

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

Didn't Demon Slayer also end with the villain becoming a giant evil baby and then killing itself?

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 12:49 on Apr 4, 2024

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Assuming that leak is true then I dunno Deku, I think just killing Shigaraki in a fight would have been less cruel than putting him through all this.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
It’s time for Deku to master Ultimate Shoot Style: No Arms Mode

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
Lol

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

TECHNICALLY A SPOILER NOW posted:

How many of class A still hasn't done a thing this final arc? Tape and Sugar guy?

How did this feel?

Looper
Mar 1, 2012
buu saga was overall better than cell saga

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Deku might literally be only a scrub by the time this fight is over

Also I get this series loves its star wars references but the limb destruction has been off the charts for a while

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Does Deku still have Blackwhip?

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

He gave up all his quirk ghosts to break through Shigaraki's trauma wall or whatever, so the quirks are presumably gone.

Deku replacing his hands with blackwhip hands would be pretty rad though, not gonna lie.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

ImpAtom posted:

It's slightly unclear because it feels like the intent has changed multiple times by now. Originally, Nana told Blackwhip guy to stay with Izuki no matter what, but then when they broke into Shiggy's mind she said they lost "all of them," which seems like it would imply Blackwhip is gone too.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Yeah, that's why I'm confused. I don't recall any moment we saw Blackwhip's ghost get any kind of goodbye but it also seemed like he was gone. Could be something that gets clarified in a future chapter I suppose but it's a weird thing to not have clear.

Rhonne
Feb 13, 2012

Arist posted:

It's slightly unclear because it feels like the intent has changed multiple times by now. Originally, Nana told Blackwhip guy to stay with Izuki no matter what, but then when they broke into Shiggy's mind she said they lost "all of them," which seems like it would imply Blackwhip is gone too.

I thought she told him to stay with Deku until the end, as in he should go last because he's the most useful of the quirks.

Nana ended up being the last one to go because Shiggy was actively rejecting his lovely grandma who abandoned his lovely dad.

Rhonne fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Apr 4, 2024

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Nana is still there, yeah

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Not gonna lie Deku just outright losing his arms is an incredibly funny punctuation to that reoccurring problem.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChronoReverse
Oct 1, 2009

Electric Phantasm posted:

Not gonna lie Deku just outright losing his arms is an incredibly funny punctuation to that reoccurring problem.

And then Horikoshi will never have to draw hands again if Shigaraki is also gone.