Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Car Hater posted:

This seems like a really good time to start working in the MIC. The grift numbers are going to go up to infinity

I've told the story of the guy I know who went from lovely apartment with several roommates to giant house in the suburbs within like a year of working for LockMart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Weka posted:

Here's the video which seems to be the source of the 1000 missiles a day. Some pretty sweet factory shots.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIGrlpWPtfo

i went looking because i was sure id find some dumbass pr from an american mic griftplex company about how good their factories are

this is old obviously but its very funny https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=idC8XvMgEwM

china built a missile factory

america built a robot car that you can put a missile on top of

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

build an anti-drone fence by buying a thousand used microwaves off Craigslist for $10 each and placing them strategically around the premises

040324_2
Apr 3, 2024
what military

corona familiar posted:

build an anti-drone fence by buying a thousand used microwaves off Craigslist for $10 each and placing them strategically around the premises
what military

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I've told the story of the guy I know who went from lovely apartment with several roommates to giant house in the suburbs within like a year of working for LockMart.

Not having a conscience is playing life on easy mode.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

corona familiar posted:

There are drone signal interference devices, Russia started using them this year. When the Ukraine fpv drone fly close to Russia tanks the signal goes dark and you have to fly the last few seconds blind.

Reddit shut down all the neutral war video subs so it's hard to go look for those videos.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

There are drone signal interference devices, Russia started using them this year. When the Ukraine fpv drone fly close to Russia tanks the signal goes dark and you have to fly the last few seconds blind.

Reddit shut down all the neutral war video subs so it's hard to go look for those videos.

The result is it probably hit the tank/AV but not in the ideal area (like a piece of ERA or a cage or whatever).

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

stephenthinkpad posted:

sure, there are lots of EW options, but you can't realistically use them in peacetime for your ships at port without wrecking a lot of legitimate civilian poo poo

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
It is probably more than the in this day and age the side that does a "surprise" attack is going to have a massive advantage (look at Gaza). If you come in with prepositioned drones in select areas then follow up with missile strikes, you could cripple much of a military before a war starts (especially if you hit AD positions allowing heavy drones and cruise missiles to come in to finish the job).

If anything the Russians had a opening but they fumbled it more than they should have.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Or maybe Israel is a small country and doesn't have depth and manpower reserves to absorb a first strike as well as Ukraine can.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

Or maybe Israel is a small country and doesn't have depth and manpower reserves to absorb a first strike as well as Ukraine can.

The Russians clearly fumbled it, they tried to go in soft and it cost them heavily. It wasn't even infrastructure but they just left large parts of the Ukrainian air force on the ground.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:49 on Apr 3, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

They did but you're not the first person to think that one swift kick will bring the whole rotten structure down.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Sure, but one slow, gentle, kick was clearly not going to do it.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Ardennes posted:

The Russians clearly fumbled it, they tried to go in soft and it cost them heavily. It wasn't even infrastructure but they just left large parts of the Ukrainian air force as well as AD on the ground.

Don't make me talk about paratroopers again

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

They did but you're not the first person to think that one swift kick will bring the whole rotten structure down.

But that line of thought it also flawed, when you have a window of opportunity, you should strike to inflict as much punishing damage as possible. It may not win you the war, it may not cause the "whole rotten" structure to be toppled but it very well may cripple your enemy. It usually works best when you have more production capability than them as well.

Pearl Harbor bought Japan time, it just simply didn't matter because there was only so far they could go with it, them wasn't a win condition to be had. They couldn't roll that momentum forward. The Nazis could to a point, but they eventually reached the end of their capabilities and again, the situation turned against them.

If you start with superior capabilities, it is a matter of rigging the game even further.

The Oldest Man posted:

Don't make me talk about paratroopers again

If you are going to do air assaults, hit when the iron it hot. Do it while the enemy is confused and distracted. I don't know if I would fly helicopters to Yokohama or whatever, but you do it while AD is down and their air force is distracted.

Hostomel wasn't the disaster they pretended.

Ardennes has issued a correction as of 21:52 on Apr 3, 2024

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

I would like to present a different perspective on it. It doesn't make the element of surprise more power or threatening. But it makes it easier to achieve the element of surprise with fewer resources or footprint, reducing the likelihood of discovery and increasing the chance of success.

As for Russia it remains to be seen how this whole mess shakes out for them. A bloody short war might have resulted in fewer deaths, but maybe the initial failure was the necessary wakeup call for military and political reforms.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

Lostconfused posted:

I would like to present a different perspective on it. It doesn't make the element of surprise more power or threatening. But it makes it easier to achieve the element of surprise with fewer resources or footprint, reducing the likelihood of discovery and increasing the chance of success.

As for Russia it remains to be seen how this whole mess shakes out for them. A bloody short war might have resulted in fewer deaths, but maybe the initial failure was the necessary wakeup call for military and political reforms.

Granted, there are plenty of cases in history where it is very clear something is happening, they have intel on it, and a government doesn't do anything because they are the ones who don't want to start a war in the first place (or just incompetence or safe thinking etc). If a war is inevitable, be the first to act and act in a big way. Going into Ukraine (as some point) was probably the right choice, but it is how it went that was the problem.

A long war may have been better for Russia, but that is accidental, and it just rooted in how backwards they had gotten themselves since 1991. You generally don't pick longer and costly wars because you know you suck and need to change.

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Also the time for a short sharp war was 2014, the time to avoid it was 2013/14 by violently suppressing the coup and not endorsing an illegitimate government.

Yeah Putin could have not been loving up for 8 years, but then he wouldn't have been Putin.

Flournival Dixon
Jan 29, 2024
This gets talked about a lot in the Ukraine thread, but if Russia did the right thing in 2014 and reinstated the elected government rather than just taking crimea and calling it a day the whole conflict could have been easily avoided, but that's not really how modern Russia does stuff, they're a bit more lazy and self serving than that.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Every time I read this debate of Russia fumbling the opening of the SMO I keep thinking maybe Russia loving up their own first quarter also triggered the butterfly event of the US fumbling their own financial sanction strategy.

Had Russia blitzd Kyiv successfully and installed a pro Moscow government the US would have responded with full scaled Azov guerrilla warfare against the tiny Russia policing force. And the NATO world would have restarted their own military manufacturing industry in 2022, which they still have started in the current timeline. And maybe the I/P war wouldn't have erupted....

Ardennes
May 12, 2002

stephenthinkpad posted:

Every time I read this debate of Russia fumbling the opening of the SMO I keep thinking maybe Russia loving up their own first quarter also triggered the butterfly event of the US fumbling their own financial sanction strategy.

Had Russia blitzd Kyiv successfully and installed a pro Moscow government the US would have responded with full scaled Azov guerrilla warfare against the tiny Russia policing force. And the NATO world would have restarted their own military manufacturing industry in 2022, which they still have started in the current timeline. And maybe the I/P war wouldn't have erupted....

Everyone is still waiting for NATO to restart their military industry and it is 2024. As far the I/P war, that was probably just going to happen. Also, the sanctions were coming to come as well.

It did give the Russians more time to figure out their MIC and get their military geared up, but that is only again, unintentional and based on how poorly they have prepared from the get go.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Lostconfused posted:

Also the time for a short sharp war was 2014, the time to avoid it was 2013/14 by violently suppressing the coup and not endorsing an illegitimate government.

Yeah Putin could have not been loving up for 8 years, but then he wouldn't have been Putin.

Flournival Dixon posted:

This gets talked about a lot in the Ukraine thread, but if Russia did the right thing in 2014 and reinstated the elected government rather than just taking crimea and calling it a day the whole conflict could have been easily avoided, but that's not really how modern Russia does stuff, they're a bit more lazy and self serving than that.

Yep

Sanlav
Feb 10, 2020

We'll Meet Again

stephenthinkpad posted:

I don't think it could of ever been worth it. All the reasons Russia's winning are because it's a long war where their artillery and manpower advantage give them advantage to exploit. You can't artillery charge a city. Moving all your tanks and heavy AT into the heart of the enemy territory is a major gamble that could cripple the entire endeavor. If it doesn't go perfect you at best make trades and at worst lose your entire offensive force in one go.

Maybe if you pretend their economy wasn't geared up for this in 2021 and pretend the sanctions were going to put them on borrowed time then yeh, going all in at the start might of made sense if Russia was some flailing desperate power.

But they're not. They asked, suggested, requested, and demanded. There was coexistance, there was tension, there was betrayal and outright deception, and now there's a war. Russia knew where this was going 10 years ago and here we are. Putin isn't a provacateur or a gambler. Unless he knew there was some objective way to end the war (and the 18 months or so of western supplies that would imminently be arriving) to behead the Ukranian state, it would just relocate to some corner and they'd muster there.

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
Even if the Russians didn't take Zelensky out in a single swift blow...they could have very clearly set themselves up far better. It wasn't a stroke of genius, it was a honest gently caress up that worked out for them.

They could have taken out far more of the pre-war military early on, and had brought up at least some reservists. The Russians had nothing pretty much after the first wave and pretty much had to use auxiliaries and cops. It wasn't even putting together a massive force, it was just at least having some fall back at all.

In the end, it was going to be a long war, but they could have done far better even with what they had.

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
Regardless of the theoretical, we can thank the west for bungling its foreign policy towards Russia and we can thank Russia for finding its backbone and becoming the linchpin that pivots the last of the fence sitters east. The net result- a clear and growing decline of the rules based hegemony, no recovery in sight, only decay.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Sanlav posted:

But they're not. They asked, suggested, requested, and demanded. There was coexistance, there was tension, there was betrayal and outright deception, and now there's a war. Russia knew where this was going 10 years ago and here we are. Putin isn't a provacateur or a gambler. Unless he knew there was some objective way to end the war (and the 18 months or so of western supplies that would imminently be arriving) to behead the Ukranian state, it would just relocate to some corner and they'd muster there.

I agree with this part. Russia's military advantage showed when the war got long and slow. The longer and slower the war, the bigger adventage they have. But Putin wasn't planning a long and large scaled war in the beginning. He was aiming for Minsk 3 and offered Zelensky a very good deal when his army was retreating. Now maybe his purposal was not an honest offer and he was just buying time. But I have a hard time believing he was planning to annex all 4 oblasts in his initial plan.

Compare to what Russia is aiming right now, eventually taking Kyiv and Odessa, the initial plan was miniscure. Also the long war by accident exposed NATO's war capacity weakness, I don't think this was the original intend in the SMO's ppt slides.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

euphronius posted:

why doesn’t Australia make their own subs

We did build our current subs, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Collins-class_submarine

They had a poo poo start-up, took 22 years to go from 'we need subs' to operational, and the Australian Zeitgeist is to be horrendously afraid of looking like we hosed up on an international stage. So it's much better to never have a pipe-dream than to use our own capabilities to build our own services and improve the country in any material way.

30 years of investment and building the national skills up to go 'eh, a true neoliberal would outsource this'.

Also we got rid of all automotive manufacturing since the Collins were built so heavy manufacturing is basically dead (relies entirely on imported materials).

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I thought Australia had several good domestic cars? Holden, Bolwell, as well as Fords?

Isentropy
Dec 12, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

An offer they couldn't refuse as in they have ScoMo's video on Epstein island.

Isn't ScoMo just a standard issue religious pedo (Hillsong)

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I thought Australia had several good domestic cars? Holden, Bolwell, as well as Fords?

there is no such thing as good cars, op

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Not anymore!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Did you guys read this?

https://twitter.com/Last24Report/status/1760396482933408094?t=tpm7KX0ip3DzOqSP9nrynA&s=19

Optionally crew ships, isn't this bigger pie in the sky than the subs?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

Crikey there’s no one at the helm!

Pulcinella
Feb 15, 2019
Even if the US and the rest of the West manage to start real military production and not just MIC grift projects, I can't see the US not just starting nuclear winter on day two of WW3. 90% of this country is going to absolutely lose their loving minds when China sinks 2* carriers on day one and people's image of the US military is completely shattered.

*1 actually sunk in combat and 1 sinking when it hits some rocks in on the way to Taiwan because it was operating at 1/3 minimum crew capacity, every crew member sleep deprived from working 36 hour shifts, and MIC grifting leading to shoddy maintenance work.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys read this?

https://twitter.com/Last24Report/status/1760396482933408094?t=tpm7KX0ip3DzOqSP9nrynA&s=19

Fuckin lol

Can the AI board refugee boats and take em to off shore detention? If not I have no idea what fantasy purpose they think the navy fulfills here.

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Did you guys read this?

No crew and no ammo for a boat that will never exist.

Pidgin Englishman
Apr 30, 2007

If you shoot
you better hit your mark

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

15 years ago we had Holden, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi factories. They did a lot for manufacturing across South Australia and Victoria, and were key for employment and trades training across the country. Most of the industrial, engineering, and mining trades learnt in these facilities.

Now we have, uh,

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Pidgin Englishman posted:

15 years ago we had Holden, Ford, Nissan, Toyota, and Mitsubishi factories. They did a lot for manufacturing across South Australia and Victoria, and were key for employment and trades training across the country. Most of the industrial, engineering, and mining trades learnt in these facilities.

Now we have, uh,

Why did neoliberalism hit so hard in Australia? It's not like it's become a financial economy, so how did the mine and ranch owners swing the pendulum back to the Australian political economy of the 1890's?

Scarabrae
Oct 7, 2002

anyone said Empire’s New Clothes yet?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mahershalalhashbaz
Jul 22, 2021

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 7 days!)

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

Why did neoliberalism hit so hard in Australia? It's not like it's become a financial economy, so how did the mine and ranch owners swing the pendulum back to the Australian political economy of the 1890's?
australians loving suck is why