Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fartknocker
Oct 28, 2012

Damn it, this always happens. I think I'm gonna score, and then I never score. It's not fair.

Wedge Regret

Sentient Data posted:

I get that being mad at the argument itself is part of the joke, but since it hasn't gotten any positivity yet i just want to break kayfabe to say that i appreciated the writeup

:same:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cosmik Debris
Sep 12, 2006

The idea of a place being called "Chuck's Suck & Fuck" is, first of all, a little hard to believe

Blurred posted:

The confusion is understandable, because the line in the show mirrors a conventional syntactic structure which is used to convey one's relationship to an abstract discipline in other contexts. If I say, "Oh boy, philosophy! That's where I'm a champion!", or "Oh boy, break dancing! That's where I'm a beast!", it's clear that the anaphoric phrase "that's where" denotes a general field of activity rather than some concrete activity, and that the direct object of the main clause is to be understood metaphorically rather than as a direct identity claim. Transposing this structure onto Ralph Wiggum's utterance generates the same set of expectations (i.e. that "sleep" is a general field of activity, and that "viking" is a metaphor). While the process by which novel metaphors are understood in practice would require a separate post all of its own, they typically depend on the audience recognising the most salient elements of the concept evoked by the vehicle of the metaphor (i.e. "viking") and how they might aptly be applied the tenor of the metaphor (i.e. the discipline of "sleep"). If one understands that the properties of, say, strength and power are highly salient to the concept of "viking", then one interprets the metaphor as suggesting that Ralph is strong and powerful at sleeping; i.e., he is very good at it. The fact that "viking" is not a conventional metaphor doesn't prevent such a metaphorical implicature from falling out of the utterance as it is produced in the context of the show.

The problem here is that the main clause appears to imply an identity claim when taken literally (i.e. "I'm a viking" suggests on a literal reading that Ralph is actually viking) which viewers recognise as nonsensical in context (i.e. it is clear to the viewer that Ralph is not, in fact, a viking) which presses them almost automatically into metaphorical interpretation to make sense of the claim (i.e. Ralph is strong and powerful at sleeping). This could have been avoided if the writers had included a modal operator ("Oh boy, sleep! That's where I can be a viking!") or a causitive form (Oh boy, sleep! That's where I get to be a viking!") so as to make it clear that "being a viking" is an affordance generated by the process of sleep, rather than a metaphorical identity claim.

Of course, it could be argued that Ralph, in the context of the show, is not sophisticated enough to semantically distinguish these different structures (i.e. perhaps he really does believe himself to become a viking during the act of sleep, which is why he phrases it this way) but I still believe that there is a way that the writers could have avoided the ambiguity of the original line, while remaining true to the fundamental naivete of Ralph's character. Namely, they could have had him say, "Oh boy, sleep! That's when I am a viking!". The use of the pronoun "when" in this context makes it clear that Ralph's being a viking is contingent upon some concrete, temporal process (as opposed to the more abstract reading of "sleep" evoked by the original line) which makes it easier for the viewers to recognise that Ralph believes himself to become a viking while sleeping (i.e. because that is what he dreams about) instead of being a viking at sleeping (which the original structure, on a plausible reading, appears to imply). Boy I sure hope someone was fired for that blunder.

This is the first actually funny thing to come out of Viking posting.

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
but how do we know ralph views viking as "good"?
perhaps ralph is acutely aware that the viking people did engage in widespread death and destruction, maybe he means he's BAD at sleep because him sleeping is a detriment to greater society? are there any clues in earlier or subsequent episodes that solidify his opinion? perhaps something banana related?

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

InsertPotPun posted:

perhaps ralph is acutely aware that the viking people did engage in widespread death and destruction, maybe he means he's BAD at sleep because him sleeping is a detriment to greater society? are there any clues in earlier or subsequent episodes that solidify his opinion? perhaps something banana related?
because he's smiling. topic locked

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here

Martman posted:

because he's smiling.

Maybe he's a sick freak

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

InsertPotPun posted:

his dad is a cop, of course he's a nazi

morningdrew
Jul 18, 2003

It's toe-tapping-ly tragic!

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

the small communist gnome and instructs Ralph to destroy capitalism and burn the mall

he is dressed in green instead of red because Ralph is also colorblind

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Pillaging?! That's where I'm a viking!

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

it's funny because his epidermis is showing

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Can we get Viking Literalist and Viking Metaphorist gang tags so I know who my thread friends and thread enemies are?

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Diet Poison posted:

Can we get Viking Literalist and Viking Metaphorist gang tags so I know who my thread friends and thread enemies are?

All the world is your posting enemy

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Diet Poison posted:

I've chosen my side.

stealie72
Jan 10, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've chosen my side.

Hell, same.

holttho
May 21, 2007

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've chosen my side.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

What are you going to do? Release the metaphorical hounds? Or the metaphorical bees? Or the metaphorical hounds with metaphorical bees in their mouth and when they bark they shoot bees at you (metaphorically)?

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

Smithers, release the metaphorical Robot Richard Simmons's.

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Mx. posted:

All the world is your posting enemy

All the world will be your enemy, Poster with a Thousand Enemies. And whenever they quote you, they will flame you. But first they must quote you.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

ZixTheYeti posted:

All the world will be your enemy, Poster with a Thousand Enemies. And whenever they quote you, they will flame you. But first they must quote you.

Thanks for completing the quote I was too lazy to look up, you and I are now posting enemies

kuarduck
Nov 15, 2012

I'm in disguise, you stupid tart!

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've chosen my side.

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I've chosen my side.

lmk when this gets put on the forums hosting so i can buy it for myself

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD
Some German political philosopher in the 1800s: Von cannot monetize un opinion!

The writer of the script literally said that Ralph was being literal: :10bux: please

SpelledBackwards
Jan 7, 2001

I found this image on the Internet, perhaps you've heard of it? It's been around for a while I hear.

Deviant posted:

Smithers, release the metaphorical Robot Richard Simmons's.

An unnecessary apostrophe-S used to incorrectly indicate plurality? Now I know who the REAL enemy is.

super sweet best pal
Nov 18, 2009

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

:nws:

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

God bless you for brightening my day, you're my favourite uncle

Budzilla
Oct 14, 2007

We can all learn from our past mistakes.

Why is Duke wearing a LARD pig cop uniform?

Mr. Fix It
Oct 26, 2000

💀ayyy💀

Budzilla posted:

Why is Duke wearing a LARD pig cop uniform?

ADKAB

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

* the K stands for KWIMK

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.

Party Boat posted:

* the K stands for KWIMK

* the I stands for IDSPISPOPD

wait, wrong game

Wall Balls
Jun 3, 2007

Spanish Castle Magic

that meme's got it all wrong

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Those ape bastards are gonna pay for blowing up my planet / finally making a monkey out of me

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
The serendipity of me turning on HBO this morning while having my morning coffee and The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Rings being on makes this all :dudsmile:.

codo27
Apr 21, 2008

ZixTheYeti
Jul 12, 2005

Hellarious!

Mx. posted:

Thanks for completing the quote I was too lazy to look up, you and I are now posting enemies

slave to my cravings
Mar 1, 2007

Got my mind on doritos and doritos on my mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦
Galaxy brain: Ralph is saying “I’m a-viking!”, using the verb form of viking, meaning to raid or pillage, thus reinforcing the literal interpretation.