Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I think that was his sole "I basically have no opinion" pick

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Bad list
Bad taste

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Scholtz posted:

Here's some break week content. Matt Owens, showrunner for One Piece Live Action, was on the HasanAbi Twitch stream again recently and did a tier list of One Piece characters. These are Matt's picks.

Obviously this list isn't exhaustive so they did a bit of a lightning round at the end.

Bartolomeo - S Tier
Bellamy - B Tier
Useless Mid - C Tier
Monkey D. Dragon - Undetermined
Kaido - B Tier
Enel - A Tier
Bege - B Tier
Lucci - A Tier
Yamato - Ungraded because Hasan just started Wano
Kaku - A Tier
Pudding - A Tier
Perona - S Tier
Vivi - A Tier
Shirahoshi - C Tier

putting luffy in A tier instead of the top of S tier has done so much damage to my opinion of this guy

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

hatty posted:

Bad list
Bad taste

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

hatty posted:

Bad list
Bad taste

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robin and Usopp are S tier. It's fine.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Nevermind I’m blind

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
One piece tier lists should always be separated into villain and non villain groups. There's way too much "Dude's a complete shistain who I loath with every fiber of my being, S-Tier" that conflicts with the usual awesome character rankings for everyone else.

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Oh that’s kind of random but okay, I guess there’s a bunch of Dressrosa people there. And anyway Viola is cool because she can shoot whales out of her eyes.

Weird that he shits on Smoothie like that out of all the other Big Mom Pirates, she barely has a presence, where’s Oven or Branch or the tongue guy? Same with Wanda, no Dogstorm or Anime Garfield?

Of all the background Big Mom kids, the one with legs for weeks, doesn't have generic Nami/Boa face, and has a visually cool power seems like a weird pick to poo poo on.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 01:43 on Apr 4, 2024

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Smoker above Garp? Get outta here

Caidin
Oct 29, 2011
Garp is more of cop then Smoker

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Dawgstar posted:

Robin and Usopp are S tier. It's fine.
Usopp is B tier. Some other guy is S tier.

Big Mom being C tier and Law being the top of S tier makes me feel:

hatty posted:

Bad list
Bad taste

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
i dont care where anyone is except for luffy who should definitely be at the top of s tier. hes never lost a popularity poll, hes the best character

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

scary ghost dog posted:

putting luffy in A tier instead of the top of S tier has done so much damage to my opinion of this guy

Im really not a fan of the Arlong fight in One Piece live action, where Luffy destroys the map room as a strategy for beating Arlong instead of in the manga where he destroys the room out of sheer disgust for what that room represents to Nami. It’s one of my favorite early Luffy moments and they dropped the ball on it hard.

Augus fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Apr 4, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

If you rank the main character of a shonen manga as you're fav you're probs pretty boring tbh.

E: Edited because this sounded meaner than intended.

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 02:53 on Apr 4, 2024

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you rank the main character of a shonen manga as you're fav you're probs a loser tbh.

There’s not a cooler character in Sakamoto Days than Taro Sakamoto though?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you rank the main character of a shonen manga as you're fav you're probs a loser tbh.
I actually really agree with this principle. I have never identified with any shounen protagonist and I can't imagine the mindset of a person who would.

But Luffy is still clearly S tier. He's a very good protagonist.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

SyntheticPolygon posted:

are you a teenager

they want shady
May 11, 2013

Augus posted:

Im really not a fan of the Arlong fight in One Piece live action, where Luffy destroys the map room as a strategy for beating Arlong instead of in the manga where he destroys the room out of sheer disgust for what it represents

Just about every change they did on live action Arlong Park felt like a miss to me. Kinda disappointing to end on it since they did a good job of doing their own spin on other things like Syrup Village and the Buggy episode.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you rank the main character of a shonen manga as you're fav you're probs pretty boring tbh.

E: Edited because this sounded meaner than intended.

Luffy, Yusuke, Jolyne Joestar. all shounen protags that are strong contenders for best characters in their respective series

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Eiba posted:

I actually really agree with this principle. I have never identified with any shounen protagonist and I can't imagine the mindset of a person who would.

But Luffy is still clearly S tier. He's a very good protagonist.

:hmmyes: 100% agree with this sentiment

Sockser
Jun 28, 2007

This world only remembers the results!

I’ll be real with all of you—

I don’t really care for Robin.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Luffy’s not really meant to be relateable. He’s meant to be inspirational

Sockser posted:

yes officer that’s them, right there

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Augus posted:

Luffy’s not really meant to be relateable. He’s meant to be inspirational
Exactly, it's great.

Usopp is the relatable one. Not in the sense that anyone's going to go "Yep, that's me, a huge fuckup," but rather someone you can look at him and go, "Wow, I'm not that huge of a fuckup, but he's got the courage to try and that's enough for Luffy to be buddies with him, so I could be Luffy's buddy too, as long as I tried to be true to myself, even if I gently caress up a lot."

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007
the most relatable character is barto, who knows that luffy is at the top of s tier

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Sockser posted:

Please seek medical help, you seem to be exhibiting symptoms of severe brain injury.

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The only “tiers” that belong in One Piece are the ones running down your eyes.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Augus posted:

yes officer that’s them, right there

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

If you rank the main character of a shonen manga as you're fav you're probs a loser

Lol Luffy is by far the best character in the manga. mad?

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Meowywitch posted:

Bell-Mere is actually the best character, and she only needed like one chapter to take the spot.

Fisher Tiger is also top tier, and his sick shirt was extra points. All the best characters are flashback legends.

Gyges fucked around with this message at 05:20 on Apr 4, 2024

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Meowywitch posted:

Over Yamato???

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i like all the strawhats except when sanji is a complete pervert. this includes yamato and carrot, who are strawhats.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Over Yamato???

Who?

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Augus posted:

Im really not a fan of the Arlong fight in One Piece live action, where Luffy destroys the map room as a strategy for beating Arlong instead of in the manga where he destroys the room out of sheer disgust for what that room represents to Nami. It’s one of my favorite early Luffy moments and they dropped the ball on it hard.

Yeah the whole nami arc was done so dirty

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

DrakePegasus posted:

The only “tiers” that belong in One Piece are the ones running down your eyes.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Does anyone else think Chopper’s fruit is actually model: giant or something? No other zoan makes the user huge like his does in Monster Point. I know rumble balls are involved, but still. Lucci awakened his Zoan and didn’t become giant.

Though also Monster Point didn’t have the flame sash thing, but neither did the impel down guards.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.
My theory is that he has the Yeti model, but I do like the one that he has the Human Human fruit Model Mink.

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Does anyone else think Chopper’s fruit is actually model: giant or something? No other zoan makes the user huge like his does in Monster Point. I know rumble balls are involved, but still. Lucci awakened his Zoan and didn’t become giant.

Though also Monster Point didn’t have the flame sash thing, but neither did the impel down guards.

The Impel Down Beast Guards are specifically Zoan users whose Awakenings failed and the devil fruit consumed their personality. Chopper's transformations aren't an Awakening, they're the result of him using drugs to alter the way he transforms so they don't follow the normal rules.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Over Yamato???

an Entire Manga's worth of character development will do that to you

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

anime was right posted:

i like all the strawhats except when sanji is a complete pervert. this includes yamato and carrot, who are strawhats.

This is the correct answer in reality

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Monster point aside, Chopper isn't even that tall for a human. I'm pretty sure Strong Point, his full zoan transformation, is shorter than Brook. Monster point is just adding weird science/medicine to his devil fruit and is unrelated to the classification of it.

As to why his human form looks like a Yeti/Bigfoot, that's just because we're human so we notice that the transformation is off. People who goes full animal mode with their zoan powers look similarly weird to any animals of that species in the area.