Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Drew Goddard will write and direct a new Matrix movie

quote:

This will be the first The Matrix film not to directly involve creators Lana and Lilly Wachowski, though Lana Wachowski will act as an executive producer on the new installment.

Plot details are being kept hidden on the Nebuchadnezzar, though the studio said Goddard approached the company with a new take to extend the franchise.

“Drew came to Warner Bros. with a new idea that we all believe would be an incredible way to continue the Matrix world, by both honoring what Lana and Lilly began over 25-years ago and offering a unique perspective based on his own love of the series and characters,” said Warner Bros. Motion Pictures president of production Jesse Ehrman in a statement. “The entire team at Warner Bros. Discovery is thrilled for Drew to be making his new Matrix film, adding his vision to the cinematic canon the Wachowskis’ spent a quarter of a century building here at the studio.”

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-news/the-matrix-new-movie-drew-goddard-1235865603/

This is worse than a fake map any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me
His credits on IMDB don't seem too bad, but it still sucks that WB finally figured out a way to wrangle the franchise out from under the Wachowski's. Especially since the last movie was a very thinly-veiled commentary on this exact kind of poo poo.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

His credits on IMDB don't seem too bad, but it still sucks that WB finally figured out a way to wrangle the franchise out from under the Wachowski's. Especially since the last movie was a very thinly-veiled commentary on this exact kind of poo poo.
Yeah, but was it any fun to watch? I certainly didn't think so.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Rageaholic posted:

Yeah, but was it any fun to watch? I certainly didn't think so.

It was kind of a mixed bag for me, like I appreciated what they were going for even if I thought the end-product left something to be desired.

I feel like people probably would have gelled with that movie a lot more if the action scenes were better - I'm still not sure what the gently caress happened there.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

It was kind of a mixed bag for me, like I appreciated what they were going for even if I thought the end-product left something to be desired.

I feel like people probably would have gelled with that movie a lot more if the action scenes were better - I'm still not sure what the gently caress happened there.

The only thing worse than the action scenes were the defenders going hard on why the actions scenes looking like total poo poo was good, actually, because "that's the point of the movie!"

Honestly, I really liked the meta aspects, and the daily slice of life stuff in the real world with the friendly robots, and wish it had leaned more into either of those. Instead it's this weird mix of trying to deconstruct/be a commentary on The Matrix and its reception, but also being an earnest action movie itself.

Also if they couldn't get Hugo Weaving back, Smith shouldn't have been in the movie, period. The only acceptable recasting would have been Samara Weaving.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

It's delightfully ambiguous. Is Antifa a location?

You can kinda reverse-engineer the thought process. Like, I'm gonna call it "The Antifa Massacre" - but oh, poo poo, that sounds like anti-fascists are committing massacres? That's bad! So I'll specify that it's The Massacre Of Antifas.

But maybe I've gone too far there, because that's now implying that fascists are killing individual antifascist people. That's a bit too direct, a bit too partisan. So I'll drop the 's' and depluralize it: "The Massacre of Antifa". This now implies that Antifa, the concrete organization in a centralized location with clear leadership, has been dissolved or something - but in vague terms that people won't understand. Perfect!

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I know I've mentioned this before, but to be fair to Garland, California is deeply chuddy. On the other hand, I'm not really sure how Texas and California could function together given that they're both gigantic and, for all intents and purposes, a thousand miles apart. It's like if France and Greece decided to unite against the rest of Europe. I know it's all just supposed to be sort of fantastical but it's very like, "huh? How?"

The ultimate failing is that they're putting this in cultural terms when, you know, there will never be a war of 'CHUDs' versus 'SJWs' unless there's some economic root. Today's right wing, at least in the US, is 'merely' a derangement of liberalism. There's no real disagreement over this form of capitalism. It's almost-purely culture war.

"They are not a right or wrong, or good and bad. It’s which do you think has greater efficacy? That’s it. You try one, and if that doesn’t work out, you vote it out, and you try again a different way. That’s a process."

Fuckin' Star Wars: Episode 1: The Phantom Menace has its civil war(s) begin over the taxation of trade routes. The actual American Civil War, that actually happened, was over slavery as an economic institution. The belief of the Confederates states was that slave labor was more 'efficacious' for the economy. The belief of the Northern States was, at least in part, that free labour would be more 'efficacious' for the economy. Which was good or bad???

If I were to make a Civil War 2 movie, for example, it would be over 'illegal immigration'. And, you know, your initial assumption might be that the evil CHUDS would obviously be against the illegal immigration because they're constantly bitching about it online, right? But the right-wing actually loves illegal immigration! Undocumented immigrants are more vulnerable and easier to exploit. So, in a hypothetical future where democrats lean ever-so-slightly to the left and crack down on illegal immigration while promoting legal immigration, this would have economic results akin to ending slavery. Enough to lead to a war? Even then, I don't think so. But it certainly makes more sense than this poo poo.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 19:26 on Apr 3, 2024

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Imagining a variation where immigration crackdowns serve the purpose of funnelling them into the existing prison slavery system, and then the Texas/California thing would make perfect economic sense, but that's basically just the plot of Holes.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

It's almost sad now that The Matrix became a cult hit, because everything after the original movie has been diminishing returns at best

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Animatrix was worth it tho but the rest has been slim pickens

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
The loyalist section of the country that big, it seems like it would be fairly easy to take a route that doesn't put you in a war zone.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

FlamingLiberal posted:

It's almost sad now that The Matrix became a cult hit, because everything after the original movie has been diminishing returns at best

To me this is like complaining that one of the TOMBS OF THE BLIND DEAD sequels is about seagulls attacking people. Cult films should get more culty if they're gonna have sequels.

Pinterest Mom
Jun 9, 2009

FlamingLiberal posted:

It made 460 million in 1999 (840 million in 2023 dollars). That's just the regular kind of hit.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would not describe one of the most popular and influential films of the late 90s as a "cult hit".

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

FlamingLiberal posted:

The Matrix is an all-time classic, and its sequels all have something to like about them and all at least have some kind of cohesive vision behind them. Speaking about franchises, we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of how lovely things can get. I hope we won't make it up to MatriX to see if they make it to space, but my faith in WB and Hollywood is basically non-existent by now.

Waffles Inc.
Jan 20, 2005

Casimir Radon posted:

The dumb Rogan listener I know was rambling about it being a super lefty movie last time I saw him. So I don’t think a middle of the road approach is going to work.

I think it’s gotta be about projection and the aesthetics of Nick Offerman—I’m old enough to remember car rides with my folks where they’d have Rush on and he went on and on and on about how Bill Pullman in ID4 was Clinton

Tale as old as time

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Grendels Dad posted:

The Matrix is an all-time classic, and its sequels all have something to like about them and all at least have some kind of cohesive vision behind them. Speaking about franchises, we haven't even begun to scratch the surface of how lovely things can get. I hope we won't make it up to MatriX to see if they make it to space, but my faith in WB and Hollywood is basically non-existent by now.

I think one of the tie-in comics that came out with the original Matrix already had the machines sending a person into space who makes contact with aliens.

Monica Bellucci
Dec 14, 2022
Alex Garland has had enough money to ignore reality for decades and is gonna be super arsey when everyone ignores his rich white take.

Blablah "I was misunderstood" blah.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Per a quote from last month:

"Why can't we all just get along?"

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I'm starting to think Alex Garland might be an idiot.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Chairman Capone posted:

I think one of the tie-in comics that came out with the original Matrix already had the machines sending a person into space who makes contact with aliens.

That sounds like the Neil Gaiman short story he wrote from an earlier version of the movie script.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~
I for one trust Drew “That’s right, I’m a freaking pirate” Goddard to make a good Matrix sequel.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
Didn't The Matrix basically singlehandedly make DVD win over VHS

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
For some reason I mistook Drew Goddard as Drew Gooden, the comedian youtuber, and it seemed an odd as hell choice.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

X-Ray Pecs posted:

I for one trust Drew “That’s right, I’m a freaking pirate” Goddard to make a good Matrix sequel.

Man this was a disappointing Google image search

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

mycot posted:

I remember DVDs promos at the time always using the scene of Trinity and Neo swinging from the helicopter, and the scene from Mars Attacks of the aliens bowling with the Easter Island statues.

Come And See
Sep 15, 2008

We're all awash in a sea of blood, and the least we can do is wave to each other.

Waffles Inc. posted:

I’m old enough to remember car rides with my folks where they’d have Rush on

This could mean two different things

that end up communicating the same thing.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

mycot posted:

I wouldn't say singlehandedly, since it took until 2005 for VHS to die out (Revenge of the Sith was the first major home video release on DVD alone, and A History of Violence was the last movie to have a VHS version), but The Matrix was definitely the highest selling DVD when it came out and set a bunch of records, so it was probably a lot of people's first exposure to the format and helped to win them over.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

DVDs were so clearly superior that the only competition with VHS is that early DVD players were kind of expensive whereas VHS players were cheap. CDs had already wiped out the cassette market at this point.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Robot Style posted:

I wouldn't say singlehandedly, since it took until 2005 for VHS to die out (Revenge of the Sith was the first major home video release on DVD alone, and A History of Violence was the last movie to have a VHS version), but The Matrix was definitely the highest selling DVD when it came out and set a bunch of records, so it was probably a lot of people's first exposure to the format and helped to win them over.

It also helped that the PlayStation 2 came out in 2000 and very quickly became the highest-selling DVD player in the world.

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream

Timby posted:

It also helped that the PlayStation 2 came out in 2000 and very quickly became the highest-selling DVD player in the world.

PS3 doubling as a relatively cheap and un-obtrusive Blu-Ray player is one of the main reasons I even bothered with that console.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

PS3 doubling as a relatively cheap and un-obtrusive Blu-Ray player is one of the main reasons I even bothered with that console.

Similarly, the PS3 having a built-in Blu-ray Disc drive was the final nail in the coffin for Toshiba and the HD-DVD coalition.

Edit: I still laugh at the PS3 launching with a built-in Blu-ray drive, and Microsoft releasing an HD-DVD drive accessory for the Xbox 360 a year after the 360's launch ... and trying to sell it for loving $200.

Timby fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Apr 4, 2024

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Sony pushes the format wars hard at every opportunity, and hard to blame them because the price for winning is a license to print money.

trevorreznik
Apr 22, 2023

Robot Style posted:

Being able to skip by chapters was a huge deal too, especially when all my friends and I would pop in the Matrix DVD and go straight to the fight scenes.

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

feel like there are plenty of actual conflicts you could tell that story in but then you'd have to, y'know, have an opinion on something

Or just handle it as vague the other way. I don't know forum thoughts on Beast of No Nation, but I thought it did a kind of neat thing where it was intentionally a vague mix of various African wars and accents. If you knew general history you could peg elements to know roughly what it was about and who/what was based on who/what, but they kept it clear that they didn't really have anything specific to say about any war. They just wanted to work through this story of the child soldiers and a cultish mercenary company without drawing out "Actually, if you consider the past 40 years the actions of faction Y were justified and they shouldn't be villains..."

So, if all he wanted to do was make a cool war story there were other paths. Maybe that's close enough to what he did and it'll work. But I also remembered the interview where he said disbanding the FBI was the last straw, so lol. I'll see when it hits streaming.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

ˇHola SEA!

Parakeet vs. Phone posted:

Or just handle it as vague the other way. I don't know forum thoughts on Beast of No Nation, but I thought it did a kind of neat thing where it was intentionally a vague mix of various African wars and accents. If you knew general history you could peg elements to know roughly what it was about and who/what was based on who/what, but they kept it clear that they didn't really have anything specific to say about any war. They just wanted to work through this story of the child soldiers and a cultish mercenary company without drawing out "Actually, if you consider the past 40 years the actions of faction Y were justified and they shouldn't be villains..."

So, if all he wanted to do was make a cool war story there were other paths. Maybe that's close enough to what he did and it'll work. But I also remembered the interview where he said disbanding the FBI was the last straw, so lol. I'll see when it hits streaming.

I like beasts of no nation but i'm not sure i consider it being a pastiche of a bunch of historical events particularly clever. that's more common than actually sticking to history i would say.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Garland should use all his money and fame to make Dredd 2.

Zadok Allen
Oct 9, 2023

Another Matrix film lmao

Parakeet vs. Phone
Nov 6, 2009

DeimosRising posted:

I like beasts of no nation but i'm not sure i consider it being a pastiche of a bunch of historical events particularly clever. that's more common than actually sticking to history i would say.

I guess less "clever" and more just not dumb, since if you tie your world building to the real world people are going to poke at it if it's paper thin.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Shageletic posted:

Man this was a disappointing Google image search

I was just riffing on him adapting The Martian, a novel that was literally edited by Reddit, and keeping that Reddit house style, sorry for any confusion.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

The Martian was pretty good all things considered but someone called it God's Not Dead for the reddit techbro crowd in a review and I can't stop thinking about that

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
Every new movie must now reveal a character with a lovely tattoo

https://twitter.com/discussingfilm/status/1775880609677672861?s=46&t=YuqSROOCXrcRx1gn_5vV7Q