Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Weka posted:

Congratulations to Kyrgyzstan on it's new foreign agents law

Matt Miller has asked the papers not to print that America is mad

The former Kyrgyzstan president has 2 journalists boiled alive and really, can you blame him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

crepeface posted:

there's all these "small" tragedies against chinese people i'm still somehow surprised to learn about. the SEA stuff is especially saddening.

The reason the Chinese government forbids its nationals from possessing dual nationalities is because during the Indonesian pogrom against communists they saw all ethnic Chinese as communists (and thus murdered them) on account of the CPC.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Jose posted:

The former Kyrgyzstan president has 2 journalists boiled alive and really, can you blame him?

Based

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous

exmarx posted:

there are people trapped in this building :whitewater:

gently caress

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

Jose posted:

You dog! You worm! How dare you confuse the noble Kyrgz for the wiley Uzbek?!!! The Kyrgyz practices defenestration on their journalists.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I notice the collapsed Taiwanese building has anti-thief cages on all of the windows. It's going to be hard for people to find a hole to get out of the building.

China old buildings used to have these, but a lot of new buildings do away with it, either by local law or there has been alot less stealing in recent years.

The problem w the cage is that in the event of fire, people trapped on the balcony can't be saved.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

kids rock

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

Weka posted:

You dog! You worm! How dare you confuse the noble Kyrgz for the wiley Uzbek?!!! The Kyrgyz practices defenestration on their journalists.

as soon as i posted it i realised i was thinking of uzbekistan

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

stephenthinkpad posted:

No you don't need semiconductors, STFU about TSMC. You can always go back to use your 3 year old iPhone and play PS4. PS4 library is better than PS5 anyway.

both have no games.

Kassad
Nov 12, 2005

It's about time.

Tankbuster posted:

both have no games.

The Switch is an even better example, yes

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
Ps4 had too many games, PlayStation works on the same rules as star trek films used to.

PS6 is gonna rule

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Gaming peaked during PS2, semiconductor can retire afterward really. Just do the Jordan thing and retire.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Jose posted:

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Kazzah posted:

I feel like the big shifts in the Muslim countries in ASEAN are more against-America than towards-China. Doesn't account for Thailand though

how strange when everyone knows that chinas genociding the uyghurs when everyone knows america would never do such a thin

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gildiss posted:

The general assembly elections are days away now in South Korea. Excited to see just how strange things will get if Yoon gets put in extreme lame duck mode. He can still manage to veto everything and stop things from passing that way but if the libs get a big enough majority they'll start to pass things even through a veto. I expect there would be some serious poo poo with the prosecutors bringing charges against anyone and everyone.

https://www.blueroofpolitics.com/post/tbr-weekly-update-week-4-march-2024/

i am very skeptical of the extreme pessimism from right wing groups given that two cycles ago their lame duck was impeached and criminally prosecuted and three cycles ago he was a figure about as unpopular as she was even if he was more a competent bully than an incompetent goofus and as weve plainly seen liberals retaking power is always going to be a temporary obstacle at worst when theyre completely dismissive of the idea of meaningful structural change in the political system

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Gildiss posted:

What do you expect, after all that happened outside of Seoul. The badlands.

https://english.hani.co.kr/arti/english_edition/english_editorials/1128939.html

quote:

“The countryside doesn’t have a shortage of doctors. The provinces simply have a lower standard of living,” all but calling those who live outside the Seoul capital area uncivilized.

it owns how south koreas reaction to trump was to accelerate the extent to which theyve been adopting the toxic political and cultural trends that are literally tearing our country apart

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Some Guy TT posted:

it owns how south koreas reaction to trump was to accelerate the extent to which theyve been adopting the toxic political and cultural trends that are literally tearing our country apart

we need a :capitalism: for accelerationism lol

040324_2
Apr 3, 2024

Some Guy TT posted:

what? like 99% homelessness?

Gildiss
Aug 24, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Gildiss posted:

On the 76th anniversary of the April 3rd Jeju Massacre the US finally acknowledges it.
Sounds pretty goddamn ominous considering it was their doing.
"You better not forget what we did, or we will have to do it again."

[단독] 미 국무부, 제주4·3에 첫 입장…“비극 잊으면 안 돼”

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeju_uprising

The english version of the article is out now.
US calls Jeju April 3 Incident a ‘terrible tragedy’ in first statement on bloody history

[Column] Syngman Rhee’s bloody legacy in Jeju

quote:

On Nov. 17, 1948, Rhee proclaimed martial law on Jeju. Martial law was used not only to restrict civil rights but also as a weapon to justify the massacre of civilians. From that point on, punitive forces ramped up their scorched-earth operations, turning the island into a cacophony of countless screams.

The military police and the Northwest Youth Association, a right-wing paramilitary group, were unflagging in their efforts to eradicate communists, never wavering in their attempts to wipe out all of those they deemed “commies.” Villagers were rounded up, forced to kill their neighbors, and were not allowed to avert their eyes from the brutal scenes.

That was the reality of Jeju in 1948 and 1949. The word “inhumane” is utterly insufficient to describe the acts of savagery that took place there at the time.

According to a report by the US Provisional Military Advisory Group, in the five days following Nov. 24, 1948, the 9th Regiment killed 337 people and captured 332 in Jeju alone, despite only confiscating seven guns in total.

On Dec. 13 of the same year, the punitive forces sent in to suppress the island utilized around 3,000 police and civilians to kill 105 people in a single day. They ran amok, engaging in indiscriminate slaughter. The 2nd Regiment, which was sent to the region after the 9th Regiment, was equally brutal.

Despite the deaths of so many Jeju residents, Rhee doggedly pushed for a crackdown. In a Cabinet meeting held on Jan. 21, 1949, he said, “The US acknowledges the importance of Korea and is sympathetic. But the US’s assistance will only be possible with our accurate removal of the aftereffects of Jeju Incidents and Jeonnam Incidents and the dignity of law is needed at once by suppressing villains including local objectors and thieves.”

The atrocities did not end there. On Oct. 2, 1949, 249 people who had been sentenced to death by court-martial were executed in a mass execution at Jeju Airfield, which is now the site of Jeju International Airport, with Rhee’s approval.

The unrest in Jeju was coming to an end by that point, and the mass execution of over 240 souls was unprecedented. And yet, not a single word about this was reported in any press at the time.

Jeju was a lone island, isolated from the outside world, and its isolation was brought about and enforced by Rhee.

There are plans to construct a memorial hall for Rhee in central Seoul and erect a statue of him. If only we could hear the wails of all those lost Jeju souls, weeping in the afterlife.

Gildiss has issued a correction as of 23:37 on Apr 3, 2024

ikanreed
Sep 25, 2009

I honestly I have no idea who cannibal[SIC] is and I do not know why I should know.

syq dude, just syq!
I just learned that Chinese people call the upcoming world war 3 "Earth online season 3" for censorship evasion purposes and I think that's beautiful.

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

https://twitter.com/CarlZha/status/1775083732179026039

incredible things are happening in china

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021

040324_2 posted:

what? like 99% homelessness?

insane culture war.

Weka
May 5, 2019

That child totally had it coming. Nobody should be able to be out at dusk except cars.

stephenthinkpad posted:

Gaming peaked during PS2, semiconductor can retire afterward really. Just do the Jordan thing and retire.

They both went sideways
Jordan went into baseball and semiconductor went into missile

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

PS2 was the funnest to hack by sawing a hole in the top so the disc tray was visible without opening/closing

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Weka posted:

They both went sideways

Jordan went into baseball in order to introduce steroid culture there after pioneering it in basketball

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
It was the long game to dodge having his talent stolen by the Nerdlucks and be able to compete in the Space Jam

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
why does xi even bother to talk to biden? he'll just forget the conversation and call him a dog faced dictator in 2 days

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ImILaOPn4C8

Palladium
May 8, 2012

Very Good
✔️✔️✔️✔️

how do you square convenient very real all powerful chinese disaster superweapons and china is also perpetually collapsing

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
i think carl zha hired an editor or something to run his youtube page because there's clipped out chunks of his interviews and news/story footage spliced in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oFMIxONGKQU

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

Weka posted:

They both went sideways

Jordan saw Bo Jackson killing it in two separate sports and decided his massive talent in basketball must surely translate to him being good enough to play pro level baseball. whoops

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

crepeface posted:

why does xi even bother to talk to biden? he'll just forget the conversation and call him a dog faced dictator in 2 days

all xi has to do is let some senile man insult him every couple of months while chinas lead compounds on itself, good deal if you can get it

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The New York Times: What Janet Yellen Needs to Tell China's Leaders

[I'm going to be posting screenshots from a pastebin dump of the article so I can make highlights]

crepeface
Nov 5, 2004

r*p*f*c*
lol, xi would probably love to debate marxism with yellen

1stGear
Jan 16, 2010

Here's to the new us.
On what grounds would Janet Yellen, Treasury Secretary for one of the most unequal countries in the world, lecture Xi about income inequality?

Oglethorpe
Aug 8, 2005

Secretary Yellen, my people yearn for credit card debt

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

...Jeeeeeeesus Christ

and loving lmao, ok, I would love to see a fed person going one on one with a formally trained Marxist from the place who has its longest ongoing educational tradition about political economy

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

Like it takes a fully smoothbrained new york loving times liberal unprincipled contemptible liberal cretin scum to write that Karl loving Marx would stop for a hundredth of a second to consider the capitalist hegemon's opinion against the country of a proletarian revolution that has delivered the single greatest advancement in quality of life for the largest population in the history of humankind

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

crepeface posted:

Xi: You better not don't do something funny with Philippines in SCS

Biden: Will I? I am a senile old man and can't remember what I said

Xi: 520 is coming and you better not do something funny in Taiwan

Biden: Taiwan is a democracy and they will do whatever we want, Mr Chairman Dictator.

Xi: Israel is bombing innocences everyday you got to put a stop on them

Biden: Sorry, Epstein got too much dirt on me and Hunter.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

dead gay comedy forums posted:

liberal unprincipled contemptible liberal cretin scum

But you repeat yourself

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

marxism isn’t about redistribution anyway idk what they’re talking about