Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
AoT skins would have been disabled anyway - no licensed characters are allowed in the game mode (check survivors, its original ones only). The clipping is bad enough on the default, other skins might have been straight up unusable and testing them all is too much effort for a shitpost mode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

If nothing else Oni stepping on people was a really quick way to do that Kill 12 Survivors By Any Means archive :v:

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

say hello to my little friend

curiousTerminal posted:

no licensed characters are allowed in the game mode (check survivors, its original ones only)

noooo yoichi!!!!!

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Double post to say the oni mode is fun but wears out pretty fast, and much like Lights Out it aggravates the existing problems of people being able to hide forever. That said I like it way more than Lights Out and I hope they do more short silly modes like this. Make it an overwatch arcade thing where they rotate daily.

There's an ingame avatar you can get for playing a single match fyi, doesn't matter which side. I think it's the only unlockable.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Game against an Oni (normal match, not the event) who slugged for the 4K at 4 gens left. The last survivor ran him for so long that the slug bled out during the chase. Oni even had a mori and still did that poo poo. Makes me real happy that the 4th got the hatch. gently caress you, Oni player.

The only good thing I've found with the rise in tunneling is I've gotten a lot better at dead hard timing. I've gone from never once being able to get value out of it to getting it at least 75% of the time. Still depresses me to go OTR > DS proc > DH proc > still go down and on the hook. They are determined these days. I'm running UB alongside the other three but you better believe I would run a fourth anti-tunnel perk if I was able to.

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 2, 2024

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??
https://twitter.com/F13Resurrected/status/1774916290752245905?t=QAIeDNZYAprp04SeGgK84A&s=19

WE ARE SO loving BACK

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

well that's some news i never expected to see, goddamn

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Relyssa posted:

well that's some news i never expected to see, goddamn

I was gonna post that yesterday but then I clicked through and read up on it, it's a fan mod of the game. Still cool, but not an "official" return.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ag6p56Xw_4w

BOY THIS EVENT SURE IS FUN

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I hopped in on survivor side, turned left from spawn to approach the nearest gen and since Oni doesn't have a TR it turns out we were moving to meet each other.

At least you get your FOMO icon immediately for getting ejected in record speed from this turd. :v:

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

I don't want to be rude, but in the 10 or so killer games I've played of this, they only powered the gates on me once. Like its insanely killer side imo.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Kwolok posted:

I don't want to be rude, but in the 10 or so killer games I've played of this, they only powered the gates on me once. Like its insanely killer side imo.

That definitely doesn't vibe with what I've seen from streamers. All you have to is walk and the killer pretty much can't see you on Rotten Fields.

Glad you got lucky. My match took just a tad over 90 seconds.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Don't chase players. Patrol, and if you find someone hit them once and move on. They can no longer stealth and are blood batteries while you are free to pressure the other gens. You occasionally get free aura read as killer

Comfortador
Jul 31, 2003

Just give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have.

Wait...wait.

I worry what you just heard was...
"Give me a lot of b4con_n_3ggs."

What I said was...
"Give me all the 3ggs_n_b4con you have"

...Do you understand?

Kwolok posted:

I think survivors (as we all know and love those little bastards) have become immune to the "panic" of the mode and just slam gens, but yeah this mode is superfast.

When I played killer yesterday they mostly would rabbit, which of course led to easy kills.

When I played survivor, all I had to do was play the "okey doke" around a large tent/rock/whatever and I lived.

I don't know what trips the aura reading. I never got found, but when I was killer I saw the gen doer behind a rock in the corner. She musta been pissssssed.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

It's very funny to me that closing the hatch opens the gates instantly in this mode.

I don't care because I'm totally fine with the last guy getting out in any gameplay mode (unless I've got an adept or something obviously), but it's a very funny oversight. Like stomping on a button that says "GET OUT"

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tiny Myers posted:

It's very funny to me that closing the hatch opens the gates instantly in this mode.

I don't care because I'm totally fine with the last guy getting out in any gameplay mode (unless I've got an adept or something obviously), but it's a very funny oversight. Like stomping on a button that says "GET OUT"

Hatch standoffs are back baby!

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Apparently -- and I swear to god I am not making this up -- it's because the Twins are bugged.

I'd try to find the actual post on Twitter but gently caress trying to navigate that shithole anymore.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Apparently -- and I swear to god I am not making this up -- it's because the Twins are bugged.

I'd try to find the actual post on Twitter but gently caress trying to navigate that shithole anymore.

absolutely incredible

how did they break them this time

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Relyssa posted:

absolutely incredible

how did they break them this time

Unfortunately, in a bit of incredibly bad luck, you spawned as Victor and you're power was to unleash Charlotte.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Kwolok posted:

Unfortunately, in a bit of incredibly bad luck, you spawned as Victor and you're power was to unleash Charlotte.

i would play that if it meant i could run around as enormous victor and tiny zoomy charlotte

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Don't worry, the Reddit braintrust has decided this is actually a good thing, because...

- "finally they're putting stuff out for testing in a more finished condition than before"
- "finally they're fixing the performance issues I've been having in the game"
- "I'm glad they're taking their time and giving us a finished product"

Personally I'd consider "devs discover a bug on the day of the PTB launch that actually stops them, the guys who've pushed out half-functional PTBs before, from launching the PTB" a bad sign but that's just me.

Tiny Myers
Jul 29, 2021

Charlotte doesn't want to kill people and that's the reason the Twins have always been bugged. She's upset that they're patching her to be better because that means her and her brother have to kill more people :smith:

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1775569056164200904?s=20

Hey, at least they gave you PTB wanters a consolidation prize

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

Don't worry, the Reddit braintrust has decided this is actually a good thing, because...

- "finally they're putting stuff out for testing in a more finished condition than before"
- "finally they're fixing the performance issues I've been having in the game"
- "I'm glad they're taking their time and giving us a finished product"

Personally I'd consider "devs discover a bug on the day of the PTB launch that actually stops them, the guys who've pushed out half-functional PTBs before, from launching the PTB" a bad sign but that's just me.

This is a good thing as delay a release due to a game-breaking bug is better then trying to patch it out later.

As a life long developer, self-entailed gamers are the reason why I left corporate game development. There is no pleasing people.

You delay as the bugs are to impactful to your player-base within the release, and your player-base gets angry: "LOL DEVS loving USELESS AGAIN!"
You release with bugs and your player-base gets angry: "LOL DEVS ARE loving USELESS AGAIN!"

And you wonder why its better to just not give any roadmaps or updates until they happen. Its better not to have PTB so no one expects anything until it happens. Its literally better not to say anything at all at this point.

it sucks pulling 100 hours weeks and seeing your player base poo poo on your hard work as "not good enough" and makes the entire development process, which is already horrible, even worse.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Look I'm a dev too, even did game dev for a hot minute and I agree with everything you said except the 100 hour weeks. No one at behavior is doing much work at all let's be honest. Major rebalances happen once every four years and the content we do get, though decent, is somewhat paltry.

Unless they only have like five devs.

curiousTerminal
Sep 2, 2011

what a humorous anecdote.
I agree, I think every employee at BHVR should sign divorce papers and a DNR when they sign the employee contract. Just to ensure that there aren't any pesky relatives or health concerns keeping them from focusing on the game.

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

"And the goat shall bear upon itself all their iniquities unto a solitary place..."

Kwolok posted:

Look I'm a dev too, even did game dev for a hot minute and I agree with everything you said except the 100 hour weeks. No one at behavior is doing much work at all let's be honest. Major rebalances happen once every four years and the content we do get, though decent, is somewhat paltry.

Unless they only have like five devs.

I agree. They shouldn't be in a crunch with this release, but I was being more general as, sucks so much even at 40 hours and it hurts even more when your putting in those crunch hours.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tormented posted:

This is a good thing as delay a release due to a game-breaking bug is better then trying to patch it out later.

100%. Better now than later, but a game-breaking bug being discovered when the PTB is supposed to go live is not a sign of a healthy development environment, especially when it comes hot on the tail of a conga line of lovely, broken and unfinished PTB releases and other questionable choices. There's something deeply wrong at Behaviour, possibly something as basic as bad project management which means they don't have enough time to properly test stuff in-house and are committing to features they don't have any chance of finishing properly in time.

And it certainly isn't any of the things the Reddit crowd are trying to paint this as.

(and I say this as a professional developer as well)

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

https://x.com/DeadbyDaylight/status/1775878532381446452?s=20

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

:toot:

place your bets on how broken blight and twins are

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

I think it's honestly kinda adorable how easily Otz is blown away by minor things and how he doesn't have a loving CLUE how much dev work something is.

They've put in some kind of feature where you can preview skins etc in the game, and he talked for a good minute and change about "can you imagine how much work this was", seemingly thinking they somehow needed to program in every costume, mori, trinket etc instead of just making a 3D model viewer that plays the game's animations.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

I think it's honestly kinda adorable how easily Otz is blown away by minor things and how he doesn't have a loving CLUE how much dev work something is.

They've put in some kind of feature where you can preview skins etc in the game, and he talked for a good minute and change about "can you imagine how much work this was", seemingly thinking they somehow needed to program in every costume, mori, trinket etc instead of just making a 3D model viewer that plays the game's animations.

To be fair it's usually the other way where idiots scream "the BHVR devs are lazy and don't do anything!!!!" because they don't understand how much of a giant pain in the rear end something that seems simple can be in software development. And that's just the coding, not even counting the QA and operational sides of it

Tormented
Jan 22, 2004

Shaman Tank Spec posted:

100%. Better now than later, but a game-breaking bug being discovered when the PTB is supposed to go live is not a sign of a healthy development environment, especially when it comes hot on the tail of a conga line of lovely, broken and unfinished PTB releases and other questionable choices. There's something deeply wrong at Behaviour, possibly something as basic as bad project management which means they don't have enough time to properly test stuff in-house and are committing to features they don't have any chance of finishing properly in time.

And it certainly isn't any of the things the Reddit crowd are trying to paint this as.

(and I say this as a professional developer as well)

I.e. this post is "saying I never worked as a game developer without saying I never worked as a game developer"

This is not true at all. I cannot believe you have never had a critical bug show up during the last day of testing that slipped by your unit tests.

Also if you notice most software company have milestone releases that must happen, so you do not have infinite time to properly test stuff in-house. Like do you schedule time to fix unknown bug fixes into your sprints or something?

Just give a quick glance of any of the billion dollar software company (Microsoft, Google, and Apple) with even with the amount of money and developers dedicated to catching these bugs, 0-day hotfixes and patches. Also this only in the released software, we have no idea how many catches were done internally before the release was marked for deployment. This is why giving roadmaps or even what's in the next release to people is the problem not the software process.

With your logic there is something deeply wrong with every single software vendor.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Tormented posted:

With your logic there is something deeply wrong with every single software vendor.

On a philosophical level I would agree with this.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022

Tormented posted:

*Gestures broadly in agreement.*

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Tormented posted:

I mean... yes? There is. This is very much true.

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Could the march towards hyper profitability over stability/sanity truly be the problem? No, its the gamers that are wrong!

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

New DS animation looks weak as hell and the stun is closer to 4, maybe even still 3 seconds than 5. It is definitely not a 5 second stun.

lmao vault animations are hosed up too they really did a pretty good job this time

Relyssa fucked around with this message at 17:05 on Apr 4, 2024

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Relyssa posted:

New DS animation looks weak as hell and the stun is closer to 4, maybe even still 3 seconds than 5. It is definitely not a 5 second stun.

That loving Xenomorph DS animation oh my god. They said they've been working on this for 7+ months!

Also female characters' vaults are bugged again.

e:

https://www.twitch.tv/otzdarva/clip/WrongTriumphantSheepDeIlluminati-55KXb6F84yawkn-J

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kwolok
Jan 4, 2022
Just incredible. Good thing we all understand how hard game development is!

They must have some of the worst git history or some poo poo for this to KEEP COMING BACK.

"Hey Joel, I'm gonna merge my branch to main with the new DS animations in it!"

"How old is the branch?"

"Like a year old and I am not gonna do any FF or rebasing, just gonna slam it in there without looking at any diffs. Oh and my editor hosed with whitespace so it thinks a TON of poo poo is new that hasn't been touched!"

"God speed!"