Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Desert Bus
May 9, 2004

Take 1 tablet by mouth daily.
1L = 1kg = 1000mm squared is the most useful because it works for all liquids, not just American liquids

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

Desert Bus posted:

1L = 1kg = 1000mm squared is the most useful because it works for all liquids, not just American liquids

units check

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
1 units argument = 1 pineapple pizza argument is the only conversion factor you need.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Woolie Wool posted:

Look up tons burthen (a unit of volume) for some true insanity, and once you got those "tons" or whatever off the ship you would probably have to measure them all over again

This is a measurement of the ship itself, not the cargo. It’s one of several tonnage estimates that eventually turn into Gross Register Tonnage and Net Register Tonnage and then eventually into Gross and Net tonnage.

It was for taxing the ships not for measuring the cargo volume.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

mobby_6kl posted:

I always forget how much 1l is in m3 is though :mad:

It's right in the exponent! 10^3 = 1000L

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Outrail posted:

Maybe they shouldn't design furniture that kills kids?

Every single piece of tippable furniture for decades has come with a wall anchoring kit and clear instructions on how to install it, people would just rather risk a .000001% chance of their kid dying than a 100% chance of having to patch the drywall when they move.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Cerekk posted:

Every single piece of tippable furniture for decades has come with a wall anchoring kit and clear instructions on how to install it, people would just rather risk a .000001% chance of their kid dying than a 100% chance of having to patch the drywall when they move.

The decision is simple once you've factored a child's projected lifetime earnings and probability.

big mean giraffe
Dec 13, 2003

Eat Shit and Die

Lipstick Apathy

Desert Bus posted:

Not all liquids though?

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Yes all liquids, just stored at different temperatures and pressures

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

I tried to google how long it takes for a hard boiled egg to go bad and the first page results looked completely useless. I clicked on the most promising one and it was 4 paragraphs of insane "From ancient Romans to Norman Kings, people have been enjoying a good egg for thousands of years" filler and then all the way down a video with the actual information I was supposed to watch. Instead I just cracked it open, took some good sniffs and hoped for the best.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

GABA ghoul posted:

I tried to google how long it takes for a hard boiled egg to go bad and the first page results looked completely useless. I clicked on the most promising one and it was 4 paragraphs of insane "From ancient Romans to Norman Kings, people have been enjoying a good egg for thousands of years" filler and then all the way down a video with the actual information I was supposed to watch. Instead I just cracked it open, took some good sniffs and hoped for the best.

I've used stilltasty.com for years. As a starting reference at least.

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I tried to Google World's smallest animals earlier and ai articles are a curse. It looks good for a moment, then you notice that it lists the house mouse as the world's smallest animal, weighting in at 0.03g, that seems completely legit.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

big mean giraffe posted:

Not all liquids though?

Americans would probably be less dismissive of metric stans if the conversation didn't always immediately devolve to absurd troll statements like "all liquids are the same density" or "Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use"

wash bucket
Feb 21, 2006

I went to visit a friend in Canada and his boomer dad leaned over and told me, "You know, I still have to convert everything to metric in my head. We switched after I was out of school and by then it was too late for me."

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

the real secret is as a canadian mech e im completely fluent in both but i still like to dunk on us customary cause it's really bad

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Even when my mom was in school they taught the metric system and told her that she had to learn it because the US would be switched over any day now, fuckin' lol. I think everyone that is under the age of 60 and not a total weirdo uses both depending on what they are doing. I've never left the US in my life and I still use metric baking recipes.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Slotducks posted:

Every tom dick and harry don't know there's humans touching this poo poo. The AI magic fairy dust is real to the overwhelming population.
The whole 'WOKE AI won't say Racist things to save the world!11!!' was hilarious to me because even ChatGPT will has no issue generating that, it's the human moderation that stops you from seeing it. Maaaaybe a word filter but I feel that all it does it highlight it to the human mods.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/aug/02/ai-chatbot-training-human-toll-content-moderator-meta-openai

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

One thing people should realize by now is that robots will never take our jobs because people are dumb enough to do it for much cheaper and are much more disposable.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012
How many jobs did the Self-Serve McDonald's kiosks replace in the end?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Croccers posted:

The whole 'WOKE AI won't say Racist things to save the world!11!!' was hilarious to me because even ChatGPT will has no issue generating that, it's the human moderation that stops you from seeing it. Maaaaybe a word filter but I feel that all it does it highlight it to the human mods.
https://www.theguardian.com/technology/2023/aug/02/ai-chatbot-training-human-toll-content-moderator-meta-openai

I'm sure it does but that article isn't about moderation of the outputs, it's about moderation of the input data sets.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:

Nettle Soup posted:

I tried to Google World's smallest animals earlier and ai articles are a curse. It looks good for a moment, then you notice that it lists the house mouse as the world's smallest animal, weighting in at 0.03g, that seems completely legit.

Three pounds seems pretty heavy for a mouse imo

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

I'm sure it does but that article isn't about moderation of the outputs, it's about moderation of the input data sets.
That's what I meant x.x
DeMod with GPT will spout whatever racist poo poo and made up racist stats you want it to.

But it depends on the service too. That Character beta AI thing moderates outputs because it will cut off and blank a response out as it's trickling it out to you.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cerekk posted:

Americans would probably be less dismissive of metric stans if the conversation didn't always immediately devolve to absurd troll statements like "all liquids are the same density" or "Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use"

Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use though. Better, even. :colbert:

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

In either case, ordering from tiktok and aliexpress will do more to force a metric conversion than legislation ever could

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Fahrenheit annoys me way more than inches and feet does which I've actually spent some time trying to learn since doing hobby machining and working on old machines gets you into contact with inch and whitworth stuff.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

big mean giraffe posted:

Not all liquids though?

For simplicity's sake we should introduce specific metric units for various liquids and a table of conversion ratios. So for example a liter of oil has the same volume as a liter of water, but it weighs a kilogram of oil, which is less than a kilogram of water, and you can easily convert between the different kilograms by multiplying them by the proper coefficient of conversion. I think this is what the revolutionaries had in mind when they started their work on a rational system of weights and measures.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
Me. My brain is the lovely thing.

When I’m outside of the US, I feel more comfortable estimating with metric and using it overall. It took a bit, but it’s totally normal now.

Inside the US? Metric might as well be Esperanto. Immediate back to customary as if I never left.

I think it’s because I relearned metric when moving here because I had to apply it to every day life. I can tell you how many km approx between my apartment to the grocery store, I can’t it in miles. I can tell you how many miles from my mom’s to Target but in km? Idk like ten thousand??

This isn’t bad except when it comes to recipes, and even worse when it comes to baking because god loving forbid we weigh poo poo (and both units of measurement are guilty as hell of this). As I’ve said many times in my life, sometimes unrelated to baking, grams please.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
We should use old timey metric units like hektograms more.

Ett hekto knark tack.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

Any time i work on a recipe, i convert everything to grams. Surprise banana bread muffin recipe time!

This recipe makes 48 muffins, divide it down to whatever amount you need.

874g mashed banana
602g granulated sugar
271g unsalted butter softened
268g beaten egg (white+yolk)
844g flour
18.63g baking soda (yes, i really do use a drug scale for cooking sub-gram precision for spices/etc)

Preheat the oven to 325f (162c) no fan. Use an oven thermometer to make sure the preheat is actually correct

Cream the butter and sugar together, when smooth add in the following order: egg, baking soda, banana, flour.

Fill cupcakes around 2/3 full, cook for 34 minutes total. Rotate the pans halfway through cooking

This may seem like a joke post, but no, the amounts are from a lot of experimentation and testing. Correct, there's no vanilla or even salt. Cook time/temp is accurate for an elevation of about 2000ft above sea level

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 4, 2024

MrQwerty
Apr 15, 2003

LOVE IS BEAUTIFUL
(づ ̄ ³ ̄)づ♥(‘∀’●)

I have exclusively used metric at work for 10+ years so I generally just use it in my daily life without much fanfare, conversion is easy enough when both are second-nature.

I also have a half-American half-Japanese truck that I work on, though, that's always fun.

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
I can’t convert the two offhand, but my partner can, as he’s a welder. It’s weird asking him “is this an inch?” when I know what an inch looks like but not here, it’s like my brain is loving region locked.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
AWG is the one that loving enrages me.

Metric: 1mm2 cable - that's its cross sectional area.
2.5mm2 cable. It's 2.5x the cross sectional area of the previous one. Nice and easy to compare.

AWG:
This is a 4- gauge. That means 4 of them fit in the measurement hole. How big is the measurement hole? gently caress you.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

mobby_6kl posted:

Celsius is as good as Fahrenheit for everyday use though. Better, even. :colbert:

He's just trying to start the interminable argument again.

carrionman
Oct 30, 2010
Because I'm in a mood, I swear loving autocorrect is getting worse. Every time I write "home" it changes it to "hone"
Yet if I write "hellp" well that's clearly what I wanted, no one would ever start a message with any other word.

"Hellp, I'll be hone late today" just the dumbest poo poo.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

carrionman posted:

AWG:
This is a 4- gauge. That means 4 of them fit in the measurement hole. How big is the measurement hole? gently caress you.

God drat it, and i bet that's just based on how circles pack instead of any kind of direct measurement. I figured it at least worked like how the metric A4/A5/etc size progression goes

b mad at me
Jan 25, 2017

pencilhands posted:

I used to type the known word then a slur to mess with the AI

why would you do that?

because you're just such a rebel?

You just are so yourself?

you are so disrupting the system omg

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

carrionman posted:

2.5mm2 cable. It's 2.5x the cross sectional area of the previous one. Nice and easy to compare.

AWG:

Buddy, they won't even let me gently caress the measurement hole.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

carrionman posted:

Because I'm in a mood, I swear loving autocorrect is getting worse. Every time I write "home" it changes it to "hone"
Yet if I write "hellp" well that's clearly what I wanted, no one would ever start a message with any other word.

"Hellp, I'll be hone late today" just the dumbest poo poo.

Autocorrect peaked some time around ~2015 and has been getting progressively worse since. I could basically type twice as fast back then cause I'd just hit the auto complete/suggest button all the time.

DemihumanResources
Apr 16, 2019

Just let me frob some dang bits already

carrionman posted:

AWG:

looks like someone skipped base 92 logarithms in your head day

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Sentient Data posted:

Yes all liquids, just stored at different temperatures and pressures

Lol