Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME APOLOGIST HAS LOGGED ON

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

No, no, we need a Joker who is cool and rad and who kids can look up to, not a weirdo pervert who likes dressing up as a clown.

Well we don't need two.

Hear me out. How about a Joker who is a great step-dad and so focused on Gotham he is the mayor.

tbf I actually really love that take on the Joker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

That's more like someone doing a Deadpool impression than Joker.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

Midnight Suns Ultimate Edition is on sale for 25 bucks on Playstation. Comes with all of the dlc AND all of the costumes from the MTX store, it’s a very good deal if you haven’t yet played it. The season pass itself is normally 50 dang bucks.

The base game is included on the middle tier of PS+, if that’s more your speed. Anyway, play this game!!!

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

It’s a very fun game. Thought I’d be turned off by the card aspect to combat, but I ended up liking it a lot. Magik is one of the more fleshed out characters, and has some great battlefield control.

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

If they had a demo or something before it came out I'd of gotten it, the card aspect isn't as bad as I thought it would be. I'm averse to card games and was turned off initially.

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

Macys paid for this. Noodle Boy and Bonby are bad at video games and even worse friends.

The card based combat was exactly why I was always so excited for it but I understand other folk’s trepidation

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

omg chael crash posted:

Midnight Suns Ultimate Edition is on sale for 25 bucks on Playstation. Comes with all of the dlc AND all of the costumes from the MTX store, it’s a very good deal if you haven’t yet played it. The season pass itself is normally 50 dang bucks.

The base game is included on the middle tier of PS+, if that’s more your speed. Anyway, play this game!!!

poo poo, 25 with the dlc is amazing. Idk when I'll play but ill finally buy it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

they should have let me smooch blade

omg chael crash
Jul 8, 2012

I wanted to kiss Wolverine :(

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Blame Disney. Jake Solomon at least wanted Hunter to smooch Magik and Nico is working hard to ship Hunter and Wanda.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
On one hand getting too smooch all your favorite Marvels would be interesting but on the other hand Midnight Suns was already so dry from a storytelling standpoint (not bad, but dry) I dunno if it'd be the ideal vector

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

OnimaruXLR posted:

On one hand getting too smooch all your favorite Marvels would be interesting but on the other hand Midnight Suns was already so dry from a storytelling standpoint (not bad, but dry) I dunno if it'd be the ideal vector

Honestly some of the stuff in Suns had me riveted, like Magik's birthday party and the book club.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Dawgstar posted:

Honestly some of the stuff in Suns had me riveted, like Magik's birthday party and the book club.

I never thought of shipping Blade with Captain Marvel and I got so invested in it.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
I did like the character work in Midnight Suns, for the most part. For as weird as the roster is at first glance, they bounce off of each other well. I liked hanging out with Nico. I just need to read classic New Mutants to understand Magik, right? 'Cause I have to admit, from what I played I did not particularly care for her, but I'm also not familiar with her in the comics.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
I think a fair amount of Magik development that's made people like her has occurred in more recent (for a given value of recent I suppose) comics as well. I might be wrong about that but it feels like in the late 2010s she started getting a big push as a character to me, maybe a lot of writers on X-Men stuff at the time had grown up reading those older runs and were now in positions where they could use her or something.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

thebardyspoon posted:

I think a fair amount of Magik development that's made people like her has occurred in more recent (for a given value of recent I suppose) comics as well. I might be wrong about that but it feels like in the late 2010s she started getting a big push as a character to me, maybe a lot of writers on X-Men stuff at the time had grown up reading those older runs and were now in positions where they could use her or something.

Oh, a lot of what they pull from is the run-up to Inferno in the late 80's in New Mutants.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

catlord posted:

I did like the character work in Midnight Suns, for the most part. For as weird as the roster is at first glance, they bounce off of each other well. I liked hanging out with Nico. I just need to read classic New Mutants to understand Magik, right? 'Cause I have to admit, from what I played I did not particularly care for her, but I'm also not familiar with her in the comics.

Her 4 issue Claremont mini is probably enough. A lot of poo poo happened to her since then, but it gives you the basics of her trauma.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Air Skwirl posted:

Her 4 issue Claremont mini is probably enough. A lot of poo poo happened to her since then, but it gives you the basics of her trauma.

Excellent, looks like it's in one of the collections I was planning on picking up anyways.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

catlord posted:

Excellent, looks like it's in one of the collections I was planning on picking up anyways.

Still recommend Inferno. Great stuff and they got like the three best artists available to draw it on NM, X-Men and X-Factor.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

https://twitter.com/Dageekydude/status/1775571748580180357
Pictures and videos of a canned Batman game from Monolith.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
yeah having this the same time the arkham franchise was around would have been weird

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

muscles like this! posted:

https://twitter.com/Dageekydude/status/1775571748580180357
Pictures and videos of a canned Batman game from Monolith.

Also cancelled: Batman's cape DLC

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

TheDK posted:

Also cancelled: Batman's cape DLC

Downloadable Cape

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

The Nemesis System debuting in a Batman game makes way more sense than a Lord of a Ring

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
What is the nemesis system anyway? I never played any LotR games.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

Sentinel Red posted:

What is the nemesis system anyway? I never played any LotR games.

The main character in the Mordor games was like a ghostly possessed immortal man (they were doing LoTR plot stuff, tldr is he was possessed by the dude who made the rings) so there was an in game justification for why when you got killed in game you could come back.

An orc that killed you would basically level up and get new powers and sometimes a gimmick look or name change or whatever, similarly sometimes they'd come back if you "killed" them without cutting their head off (I think, it's been awhile) and be swearing revenge, they'd be immune to the thing that killed them previously or they'd have gained a new weakness.

So it was kinda trying to give a bit more character to the endless hordes of goons you kill in one of these open world adventure games, there was a lot of smoke and mirrors involved with the visual upgrades and names and stuff on top of it as well. You could also brand them to make them work for you so there was an element of like, building up an orc so you could then control a very effective one later on.

I don't really see how it makes more sense in a Batman game than what they ended up doing though. Like I'm sure it would have worked but Batman henchman beating him up and upgrading (while not killing him or taking him to the boss) doesn't quite work as naturally as orcs did, just imo at least.

I could see it working for like a Planet Hulk style game, an X-Men one set in Mojoworld or a DC one set on War World, so there's a justification for why the bad guys are getting preserved, cyborgised or upgraded in whatever way and sent back against you again and again. Then they can start giving them personalities and they could give you a lot of different environments, encounter types and enemies it's ok to really, really hurt in a variety of ways.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
They supposedly are using it for an upcoming Wonder Woman game. Every games outlet drooled about that announcement while I am thoroughly meh due to the aforementioned smoke and mirrors not really working for me.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The main thing about the Nemesis system was that the enemies actually long term reacted to what you did to them. Like if you defeated an enemy by burning them they would show up later with burn scars. They also had a fun thing where if a random enemy killed you they would get promoted with a unique name and style.

The system definitely made more sense applied to a gang structure especially since Batman is explicitly a character who doesn't kill his enemies so they had a reason to keep coming back.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

And I think it'd be good in a Batman game if he has gadgets like he does in Arkham games because a Nemesis system works better as the enemies gain resistances and weaknesses, which different elemental-type damage of gadgets easily works with.

The real question that comes with any implementation of the Nemesis system though is why it's appreciably different than a game that just has a variety of enemies and tactics. Or how it works with the story and timeline. Especially if there's no death mechanic and an assumption of time passed. Like Percy the Purse-Snatcher gets beaten up by Batman, ok, and then doesn't go to jail? Goes to jail and gets out by the time Batman fights him with barely any time passed in the game world? Doesn't go to jail but does go back to mob HQ and gets a new cyborg appendages? Guzzles some Venom?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Looking at the suit and the Tumbler being the particular Batmobile there it like it might have been some tie-in game to the Nolan movies?

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Would have made sense, Arkham Asylum was basically what we got instead of a Dark Knight game

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Does Marvel own the Hunter or is it the video game company?

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Waffleman_ posted:

Would have made sense, Arkham Asylum was basically what we got instead of a Dark Knight game

I think it's weird because The Dark Knight was going to get a game, but it was developed by Pandemic so I have no idea how this one by Monolith fits into all that.

I always thought the Nemesis system would be fun for getting villains into different costumes each time you met them, but I never put much more thought into it than that.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Considering the timeframe, maybe this was an attempt at a Dark Knight Rises game?

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Beerdeer posted:

Does Marvel own the Hunter or is it the video game company?

I'd guess Marvel, but don't know for sure. They own the Imperfects from that game so I'd guess any characters in a Marvel game is their property.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

They likely have it in the contract that they own creations for their licensed properties now, because they had issues with that in the past.

Plus they're Disney.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nobody wants another Penders Situation to happen

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/reza825_/status/1776155492005322914?t=bXLHrSAGBUovM-cbD8xRuw&s=19

lmao

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Oh on that Batman game it was going to be a tie-in to the movies, there was a deep dive research video on it 4 years ago (CW: british)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e0lRkQd9skU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

drat that didn't take long