Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

I didn't even know you could use RC for something else than summoning pawns. I've certainly never even seen a merchant tab for it. I think I have a good amount since all I've been summoning are free goon steam friend pawns too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?

TeaJay posted:

I didn't even know you could use RC for something else than summoning pawns. I've certainly never even seen a merchant tab for it. I think I have a good amount since all I've been summoning are free goon steam friend pawns too.

If you're in the capital, go to the pawn guild and look at a little table to the left of the big ol' stone, there's a guy there that sells ya poo poo for RC.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

There's also pigments in Buttahl.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Sea Lily posted:

Yes. More specifically the red mist around the edges of the map will spread more and more inwards on the map over time. this can be slowed down by fighting the monsters you can summon at the red pillars of light. slowed, but not stopped. the game doesn't explicitly tell you about this, but the cutscenes that come up when you rest are pretty ominous and telling- and anyone checking the map will see the mist spreading more each day that passes

It stops when you do all but the final light beam

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
So, quick tip with the Sphinx when she asks you how many of her questions you correctly answered: she actually wants the total number of questions you answered regardless of whether you were correct or not.

Of course, there's an easier way to know: she flat out tells you the number she wants. Walk back from her and look up. She lights up the tips of her feathers with the number. :aaa:

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
So I've snagged two portcrystals so far: one you get from finishing the elven archery questline, another can be found in a griffin's nest near the periphery of the misty area with the dullahan.
It really makes the quest to help their tree actually tolerable.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The Custom Difficulty mod now allows you to turn off the post-death healing.

Time for another playthrough I guess.

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 11:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Oh! So there ARE more than two stationary Portcrystals.

EDIT: AND THERE ARE A BUNCH OF BRAND NEW ENEMY TYPES TOO?!

Jack Trades fucked around with this message at 12:23 on Apr 4, 2024

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!

Jack Trades posted:

please elaborate.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Jack Trades posted:

Yep to the first. Not really to the second

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

doomfunk posted:

please elaborate.

Small spoiler: the other stationary portcrystals are under the ocean floor

Huge post-game spoiler, don't read: They're in Dragon's Dogma 2.

Broken Cog posted:

Yep to the first. Not really to the second

Really? I've stumbled upon a pink ghost and a different type of spiky lizard that I haven't seen before in my 80 hours.
I guess it's possible they're tucked away somewhere I missed before.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
some of the rarer mobs are more common like boltscales (the spikey lizards) is all i can think of. they're only in like two spots pre-unmoor. there is a new type of lich that i dont think is in the regular world but thats really about it beyond the boss dragons/lizards

vvv

Jack Trades posted:

Small spoiler: the other stationary portcrystals are under the ocean floor

Huge post-game spoiler, don't read: They're in Dragon's Dogma 2.

Really? I've stumbled upon a pink ghost and a different type of spiky lizard that I haven't seen before in my 80 hours.
I guess it's possible they're tucked away somewhere I missed before.

Sloober fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Apr 4, 2024

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, there's definitely some mobs that are more common, but I'm pretty sure all of them are encounterable before.

Maaaaaybe not the pink phantasms.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

Yeah, there's definitely some mobs that are more common, but I'm pretty sure all of them are encounterable before.

Maaaaaybe not the pink phantasms.

i dont think those or the bishop liches are but functionally they don't seem to do anything different from base versions beyond higher stats, they should have given the bishop a pet dead dragon like DD1 BBI ones IMO

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Ooos wrong thread

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

Sloober posted:

i dont think those or the bishop liches are but functionally they don't seem to do anything different from base versions beyond higher stats, they should have given the bishop a pet dead dragon like DD1 BBI ones IMO

I'm pretty drat sure I fought one of those in Battahl at night before.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

Broken Cog posted:

I'm pretty drat sure I fought one of those in Battahl at night before.

that's possible, i dont remember ever seeing them tho but i imagine there's probably some out of the way tomb with one in it. maybe they're just 'gore' versions idk. they dont do anything any different beyond more liberally summon skeletons

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

My pawn maxed out all vocations and is now permanently a warrior, as was always intended. With 800+ strength and defense and 900+ knockdown he will gladly punch monsters in the nuts very hard for you.

Any recommended skills to set to maximize his potential as an angry bowling ball? Arc of Might is cool but I'm not sure pawns are smart enough to save it for big monster stagger phases. Mountain Breaker seems like a no brainer.

Warfarer does in fact give vocation XP to everything that isn't maxed yet but geez it's slow. Probably better to just play them normally and come back to Warfarer later. Having Draw and Quarter to murder big things, Sagittate Avalanche to murder small things, and Mirour Shelde to no sell attacks, while also having a staff to get around and a censer if two big monsters attack at once, is pretty cool.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

If anyone's wondering about the long-term consequences of letting the Dragonblight progress:

All the named/important NPCs that die really do stay dead. I rested for several weeks, no change. They're all at the morgue. I can actually see how that might take the wind out of your sails if it's your first playthrough. Me personally, I just went and revived Isaac since I need someone to sell me Ferrystones in Bakbattahl.

Side note: letting your main pawn get to this point will cause them to lose a hefty chunk of affinity, which makes sense.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

The title drop owns so loving much. I forgive the second half of the main quest being so abrupt.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

Jack Trades posted:

The title drop owns so loving much. I forgive the second half of the main quest being so abrupt.

Makes me wonder if NG+ has anything appreciably different than NG but I kinda doubt it. It is neat though.

doomfunk
Feb 29, 2008

oh come on was that really necessary
all over my fine carpet!!
I think the one thing I wish spear hand had from mystick knight was the smackable orb ability. replace the anemic blue bullets with that Capcom tia

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

MeatwadIsGod posted:

Makes me wonder if NG+ has anything appreciably different than NG but I kinda doubt it. It is neat though.

literally just regular game but you keep all your levels and equipment, ive run through it to near the end and there's no differences so its actually kind of boring, they definitely missed a lot of chances to do something really fun

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

MeatwadIsGod posted:

There's a few new things at a specific vendor the dragonforged that can boost you and your pawn's strength in new ways you couldn't even do in the postgame... but given there's nothing stronger than your first time through the game it's pretty pointless.

Really hoping they add some kind of infinitely scaling hard mode on top of whatever other dlc is coming. If the world just got another 20-30 levels more difficult every time I started NG+ again I could play this for hundreds of hours.

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

It's so weird seeing some people's beloved is Queen Regent. Did I just completely miss any interactions with her? Are there some coming? I'm doing the main quest and just visited the Seafloor Shrine. (granted, I haven't done the quest for the interrigation of the assassin of the Empress yet which also seems like a main quest)

Or is it just this game? I have been tried to avoid her since they painted her as the big bad, and I thought if I seek her out I get thrown to jail or something. But can you just go like "Yo I'm the real Arisen" ?

TeaJay fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Apr 4, 2024

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

TeaJay posted:

It's so weird seeing some people's beloved is Queen Regent. Did I just completely miss any interactions with her? Are there some coming? I'm doing the main quest and just visited the Seafloor Shrine.

Or is it just this game? I have been tried to avoid her since they painted her as the big bad, and I thought if I seek her out I get thrown to jail or something. But can you just go like "Yo I'm the real Arisen" ?

It's just the jank of the game. All sorts of NPCs you'd think would be hostile/antagonistic for story reasons just aren't. The side quests in DD2 have way more thought and coherence put into them than the main quest imo, it's weird as gently caress but hey that's DD for you.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Which class uses the Censer? I just found one and it's showing a ? - I thought maybe my tank could use it. :(

E: Oh, trickster.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

TeaJay posted:

It's so weird seeing some people's beloved is Queen Regent. Did I just completely miss any interactions with her? Are there some coming? I'm doing the main quest and just visited the Seafloor Shrine. (granted, I haven't done the quest for the interrigation of the assassin of the Empress yet which also seems like a main quest)

you can just give her items to raise affinity and she'll be your beloved, like most NPCs. its pretty weird in that it doesn't affect the story at all though!

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

TeaJay posted:

AFAIK the first and only time you meet her is a side part of the quest to evacuate that City, you can just give her a ring or possibly even just get enough affection from her little side quest

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
This thread moves too fast, but I've been playing Warfarer as "nine more ranks of Magick Archer" except I can play fashion with my gear and I get to keep a staff in my pocket for levitation. I don't even keep Rearmament on my bar. It's really making me wish you got two groups of moves like Dark Arisen, though. None of the skills play good together and you can't even do the utility moves from other classes without having their weapons on hand, so it's not like I can throw the spearhand forcefield on there for good measure.

Also, I'm having a damned time finding fell-lords. Are there any places they're a reliable spawn?

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

TeaJay posted:

A lot of characters just act as normal NPCs once they stop being relevant for quests and such. Then you can just talk to them and press the prompt (y on PC, dunno for controllers) to give them a gift. Works for almost everyone.
For the Empress, for example, you first have to complete the sidequests involving her.

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011

The Muffinlord posted:

This thread moves too fast, but I've been playing Warfarer as "nine more ranks of Magick Archer" except I can play fashion with my gear and I get to keep a staff in my pocket for levitation. I don't even keep Rearmament on my bar. It's really making me wish you got two groups of moves like Dark Arisen, though. None of the skills play good together and you can't even do the utility moves from other classes without having their weapons on hand, so it's not like I can throw the spearhand forcefield on there for good measure.

Also, I'm having a damned time finding fell-lords. Are there any places they're a reliable spawn?

tomb of ja'nuwa on the south end of battahl has one that respawns on like a 7 day timer. there's also one somewhere around the ancient battleground at night, i think southeast-ish of it?

Sloober fucked around with this message at 14:58 on Apr 4, 2024

TeaJay
Oct 9, 2012

Also why the hell am I suddenly helping the bad guys in the main quest?? Ambrosius and Pheseus want to do ... something and I'm volunteering to gather wyrmslife crystals for them? There better be a secret plan to steal that sword to myself coming after this! Otherwise this makes no drat sense!

e: I also need Fell-Lords for upgrading the Cinderspine, so I'll head out there to check too.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!
I was on vacation when this came out and am finally able to play. I ended up taking the oxcart to the capital. Should I go back and explore the previous areas more? Or am I more or less ok.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Lol, if you manage to beat the rear end in a top hat guards in Bakbatthal before they manage to hit you once, instead of stopping the fight, the merc steals the guards' leaders purse and gives it to you. About 13k gold.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe

Sea Lily posted:

Yes. More specifically the red mist around the edges of the map will spread more and more inwards on the map over time. this can be slowed down by fighting the monsters you can summon at the red pillars of light. slowed, but not stopped. the game doesn't explicitly tell you about this, but the cutscenes that come up when you rest are pretty ominous and telling- and anyone checking the map will see the mist spreading more each day that passes

Okay, seems like there's no time to waste then lol. I can tell that the mechanics are working together to make me get this over with and not linger, which, fair enough!

JoeGlassJAw
Apr 9, 2010

took me until the end of the game to realize that sleeping in the bed of a house you own also counts as a save point for the "load from last inn rest" option. last mission minor spoilers: the NPC that was shown with max affinity was that elf dork and I was gunning for Ulrika, so I decided to reload knowing I hadn't rested at an actual inn in hours. luckily it woke me up in my bed in my house in Vernworth, which is what I had done immediately before starting the quest. In case anyone else has been worried about reloading with that option. they should really just remove the word "inn" from that on the main menu

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Yeah, personal houses are basically just inns you don't have to pay for

Speaking of, anyone bought either of the big houses? Any reason to?

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I've heard there's no plus side to it. Maybe you get a cheevo for buying all houses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

The big houses aren't even the most pointless waste of money in the game, but they're probably #2.