Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Either that or she’s just loving Goofy.

:mods:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

idiotsavant posted:

Between travel (gas, vehicle, chains, racks, etc), equipment, clothes, and passes snow sports have pretty much always been expensive as gently caress unless you're basically a townie and live at the bottom of the slope and get all the local discounts. Yeah, you used to be able to go up and ride halfway decent resorts for 20-40 bucks and now the same spots are all literally $110-160 for a single day, but you still had to have all the other poo poo. It sucks because snow sports are fun as hell but also price out a bunch of people who otherwise might love them.

I mean maybe it's just a Scandi thing, but you can very much still find smaller resorts where the lift pass is like $20-30, and equipment hire cost like another $30 a day?

Our public school used to do ski trips one or two times a year. The school paid for the three-hour buss ride, and the families paid for everything else, and it was like $30-40 if you didn't have your own skis. Everyone had a packed lunch and snacks.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

mystes posted:

I mean, it's obviously dumb if he assumed that everyone skied, and skiing always tended to be a rich person hobby to some extent because unless you lived right near a ski slope, it would end up being complicated and expensive to try to get to somewhere to ski, and you would have to rent or buy the gear.

However, despite all that, depending on where/when this conversation took place, it was sort of true in that the actual lift tickets didn't use to be that expensive so if you were really determined and you lived within a few hours of a ski slope and were willing to drive a ton you could make it fairly cheap.

Now it's completely absurd and one day lift tickets are getting close to what season passes used to be like, so it's really a rich person hobby.

Growing up, the nearest ski hill was affordable, at least while you could still get the junior pass. But the adult season pass was spendy, so you had to go up quite a bit to get the money's worth out of it. Up here, the big ski resort went huge on getting tourists over locals, to the point where people would drive up to Canada, buy tickets, then drive back in the morning and save more then half off. Now, season pass is almost $1k, day passes are 100 bucks.

I worked a summer at "fancy" furniture place in college, doing small deliveries and such, and it was wild the sort of places I'd end up. I delivered a rug that cost more then the van we did deliveries in. A lot of the stuff was actual quality antique stuff, but most was rich people vanity poo poo. Most people probably did the "I'm not rich" thing, but come on, you just bought a patio set that was made out of hardwood.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

Does it help if I post a picture of OP and his girlfriend

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
I don’t see a headband you lying sack of poo poo. Or a bow.

JimsonTheBetrayer
Oct 13, 2010

Game's over, and fuck you Jimson. It's not my fault that you guys couldn't get your shit together by deadline. No one gets access to docs because I don't fucking care anymore, I hope you all enjoyed ruining my game, and there won't be another.

Mx. posted:

AITA for “calling her a rat”?

This is especially funny, because Minnie is like... routinely portrayed (at least in the early cartoons) as being a super feminine, dainty, cutesy foil to Mickey and crews antics.

Like... as close as possible to a compliment involving a mouse as you can get.

Just buy her some nice cheese and all will be forgiven.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

I don’t see a headband you lying sack of poo poo. Or a bow.

I will continue to lie in this thread thank you

Invisible Clergy
Sep 25, 2015

"Behold, I will corrupt your seed, and spread dung upon your faces"

Malachi 2:3
So that's what Mr. Boop looks like.

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Skiing/snowboarding is actually super affordable if you try! All you have to do is live within a few hours' drive of a shitload of ski resorts, buy all of your gear used (except maybe the boots) and deal with the shittiness and potential safety hazards that entails, and forgo those useless, expensive lessons that teach you how to do things like "do it safely" and "actually enjoy yourself", and it's totally doable!

I live in Denver and am very much not-rich, and have managed to ski a lot because of all of the above, but I'm not naive enough to think that's possible and/or safe/enjoyable for the vast majority of people. A day ticket at Vail, or hell even Keystone or Breckenridge, is drat near one-third to half the cost of an entire season pass at this point, and if you don't live local or plan to take an extended vacation here there's really no reason to buy said pass.

It sucks a whole lot, because snowsports loving own and I wish everybody could have this level of access to them :sigh:

Shanghaied posted:

I mean maybe it's just a Scandi thing, but you can very much still find smaller resorts where the lift pass is like $20-30, and equipment hire cost like another $30 a day?

Our public school used to do ski trips one or two times a year. The school paid for the three-hour buss ride, and the families paid for everything else, and it was like $30-40 if you didn't have your own skis. Everyone had a packed lunch and snacks.

lmao it's definitely a Scandi thing, I live in Colorado USA which is basically the skiing capitol of the country, and you'd be laughed out of the loving room if you asked where you could find $20-$30 day tickets. The closest resort to Denver, which is literally a terrain park and like three runs, starts at $59 :shepicide:

The Maroon Hawk fucked around with this message at 06:43 on Apr 4, 2024

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012

The Maroon Hawk posted:

lmao it's definitely a Scandi thing, I live in Colorado USA which is basically the skiing capitol of the country, and you'd be laughed out of the loving room if you asked where you could find $20-$30 day tickets. The closest resort to Denver, which is literally a terrain park and like three runs, starts at $59 :shepicide:

TBH I think "being the skiing capitol of the country" makes that specific metric WORSE, not that I think other parts of the country are anywhere near scandinavia tier, because you become "the place where the rest of the country flies for a ski vacation."

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Shanghaied posted:

Yeah definitely not the same in the US, at least California. Even season passes aren't a deal - just looked at pricing for a few spots in Tahoe and unrestricted adult season passes are going between $1-1.7k. Absolutely brutal.

reignonyourparade posted:

TBH I think "being the skiing capitol of the country" makes that specific metric WORSE, not that I think other parts of the country are anywhere near scandinavia tier, because you become "the place where the rest of the country flies for a ski vacation."

kind of this, but generally if a place has enough mountains and enough snow then you get some chill local spots that are like, 1-3 chairs and a couple rope tows where you can go gently caress around on the cheap, and if you want better lines you can go hike for your turns or randonee. Then again the latter demands some skill and know-how, and again, if you're having to get all the gear and do all the travel and everything else to do so it takes some cash and effort.

idiotsavant fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Apr 4, 2024

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

AITA for telling my dad, who's in his late 50s, that it's too late for him to go to law school?

quote:

My dad is a recently retired Army Brigadier General. He’s now happy and relaxed, with a fat pension and benefits to enable him to do whatever he wants in the next chapter of his life. Dad has let me (20M) know that he is pursuing a law degree starting this fall. His dream is to start his own non-profit to provide pro-bono support for domestic abuse victims, which I think is admirable, but he won’t live long enough to do that. I feel like what he’s doing is a waste of time and energy, and I am heavily against his plans. Otoh my older sister (23F) is a law student, and of course she is so proud of dad.

Last night, I was in my room, when just out of frustration at the thought of my dad going back to school when he could be enjoying his retirement, I kicked my desk pretty hard. My parents came up to my room, and they asked me why the heck I was freaking out, and I basically told them “dad, let’s just enjoy your retirement without the stress of school or starting a second career”. My dad was uncharacteristically angry about the fact that I kicked my desk, and he kind of blew up on me because of that. Today, we reconciled. But AITA?

It takes 20+ years to pass the bar you see

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my dad, who's in his late 50s, that it's too late for him to go to law school?

It takes 20+ years to pass the bar you see

So whose money is on "dad worked every day of his childhood and OP thought he'd get more time with him if he retired" and whose is on "OP thinks this is wasting money he's going to get when dad dies"? Mine's on the latter.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

gently caress Minnie Mouse! She is obviously a gold digging bimbo. Mickey, (and Pluto) deserve better!

Midnight Voyager posted:

So whose money is on "dad worked every day of his childhood and OP thought he'd get more time with him if he retired" and whose is on "OP thinks this is wasting money he's going to get when dad dies"? Mine's on the latter.

I will add a 3rd option of "Dad, you're retired and old. You are supposed to sit in a comfy chair for the rest of your life. The idea of you continuing to do things and live your life confronts my stereotypes of "the retired", so stop it."

BrigadierSensible fucked around with this message at 08:23 on Apr 4, 2024

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

reignonyourparade posted:

Yeah no, most of the cheap places that I was talking about are tiny four-five lift places with no overnight accommodation. They are cheap because they can't get that big tourist money anyway. The high-traffic places are all much more expensive.

Troublemaker
Mar 12, 2007

Gonna keep my eye on this one. It has the potential for updates involving TREE LAW.

AITA for putting a tree net to stop any fruits from going onto my neighbor’s yard?

quote:

Hi. I inherited a house from my dad from his passing a few years ago. His house came with the guava tree on the yard. The tree has been there for a good portion of my teen years and is special to me.

Me and my wife were one day thinking of ways for extra income and realized we could literally sell off the fruit. Got the permit and started to prepare guava in different ways. For reference, I sell the fruit whole, splice and put into cups, candied, etc.

We realized that while the branches weren’t exactly hanging over our neighbor’s lawn, sometimes guava would either fall over or buck against the fence at the right angle and end up over there. So me and my wife purchased a tree fruit net for the side of the tree that was closer to the neighbors yard. Since then I don’t think any fruit fell to their yard which is good.

What led me here today is that last week while my wife was out on the lawn, the neighbors kid approached her and asked what happened to the fruits. My wife explained that we keep the fruits in a net so that we can have more. Apparently the kid ran off and came back with their dad who asked my wife the same thing. She explained again and, from what she said, the father looked like he took it personally. Asked if we thought he was stealing and my wife explained no, we didn’t think that, we just want to maximize the fruit that falls from our tree since we do use it for some profit.

Today the same neighbor knocked on the door and I answered. He asked if we could talk about the fruit tree situation. He said that he thinks it’s selfish how my father would freely let the fruits fall wherever but now that I’m here I’m hoarding the fruit. I explained that the tree is my property so whatever comes from the tree is also my property. I said he could buy guava off us if he wanted but he looked more upset that I would even recommend that. I’m glad his kid liked the fruit but now that I’m making money off this I can’t just let that happen freely. He called me selfish again and that I could at least **spare a few. I said again he could buy some off me if he wanted. I offered a box for $5.

Now everytime we see him around he doesn’t smile at us which I guess is expected but now they let the dog poop on our lawn and keeps telling his kid loudly that the “neighbors killed the fruit fairy”. Some of the neighbors are still cool with us but it’s like we made an enemy from him and I’m feeling slightly guilty for the kid.

Edit: Advised to add this in too. We started the net when we had a medical bill come up and needed to work on paying it off.

I’m being advised to edit this in. The box of fruit was for fruit that was prepped in some way and what I was asked about. My wife was asked for the fruit as a whole. It was when he came to me that he asked about the fruits that were prepared. I thought it was implied because of how the topic differences between me and my wife. I’m putting an ** next to the part I’m talking on . I’m sorry for not making that clear.

Edited original post to add some missing punctuation and to move OP's edits to the end, because they're an extremely lovely and confusing writer.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
The fruit fairy is just me on a Saturday night at the gay bar.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Troublemaker posted:

Gonna keep my eye on this one. It has the potential for updates involving TREE LAW.

AITA for putting a tree net to stop any fruits from going onto my neighbor’s yard?

Edited original post to add some missing punctuation and to move OP's edits to the end, because they're an extremely lovely and confusing writer.

He could've put up the net and given away a $5 box of fruit and avoided having an angry neighbour.

Don't say you wanna maximise your profit, it makes you sound like an rear end in a top hat, and how much profit do you really lose from a few fruits falling on the neighbour's property? Just tell them you don't want fruits rotting on their land. It's an extremely common thing, people getting pisses off because their neighbour's tree dumped a huge pile of apples or whatever in their garden, and they have to clean it up.

Lmao loving redditor can't handle a basic social situation.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

i wish my neighbours would eat my feijoas those things drop everywhere and i hate them terribly. the prior owners planted SO MANY idk what was wrong with them maybe they were new zealanders

i dont have as strong feelings about guava but if that dudes' offline communication skills are as good as his online ones I can see why the neighbour thought he was an rear end in a top hat

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Neighbour should plant some fruit trees. Everyone with a yard should plant some fruit trees actually. Trees own and you get free fruit.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

keep punching joe posted:

Neighbour should plant some fruit trees. Everyone with a yard should plant some fruit trees actually. Trees own and you the local possum, bird and bat population get free fruit.

true

Entorwellian
Jun 30, 2006

Northern Flicker
Anna's Hummingbird

Sorry, but the people have spoken.

Neighbour should plant some fruit trees. Everyone with a yard should plant some fruit trees actually. Trees own and you get free fruit.

You also attract trash bears and rats, though :(

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Mx. posted:

quote:

Neighbour should plant some fruit trees. Everyone with a yard should plant some fruit trees actually. Trees own and you the local possum, bird and bat bear population get free fruit.

Some places near me have started to fine people for rotting fruits on the ground, because they attract bears.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

Shanghaied posted:

Some places near me have started to fine people for rotting fruits on the ground, because they attract bears.

Cure is simple, get a fruit net.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Shanghaied posted:

As long as they use those fines to pay for the Bear Patrol.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

Why thankyew!

let the bears pay the bear tax

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
But what if you wanted bears all along?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Instructions unclear, yard now a tom of finland superfund site

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Then you may be a libertarian.

Captain Yossarian
Feb 24, 2011

All new" Rings of Fire"
My favorite thing about fruit trees and fruit rotting on the ground is the thousands and thousands of bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and various biting flies they attract. Big fan

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

Troublemaker posted:

Yes, this person is obtuse, but I cannot call them the rear end in a top hat because the neighbor first demanded free fruit, and then decided that wasn't good enough and wanted free cut and processed fruit to make up for the slight. That's an entitled dick move for sure.

Also, have some more people who don't know they are rich and can't understand the difference between their situation and OP's:

quote:

YTA and a bit of a dick. We have 26 trees in our orchard, some of the fruits fall in the neighbor’s yard, they love it and we’re great friends. If that $5 makes a difference in your livelihood, you’ve got more problems than guavas falling in your neighbor’s yard.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

Captain Yossarian posted:

My favorite thing about fruit trees and fruit rotting on the ground is the thousands and thousands of bees, wasps, hornets, yellow jackets and various biting flies they attract. Big fan

That's why you pick the fruit up and give it to your friends and neighbors.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
The fruit tree thing is a classic 'my kid is sad because of something you did - so now, we are mortal enemies' situation. The kid's clearly grown up eating the fruits every year as a mark of the turn of the season, and now that experience is gone, kid is sad, and dad protection instincts are kicking in.

Is OP technically correct and within his rights? Sure. Would sharing a few of the fruits have gone a long way to ease that tension? Absolutely.

StrangersInTheNight fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Apr 4, 2024

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shanghaied posted:

It was the same when I was growing up in New Jersey, at least. Including the public school ski trips.

I never thought of skiing as anything particularly expensive; it was always sort of comparable to something like going to a football game.

house of the dad
Jul 4, 2005

This attracts neighbors

DrNut
Jan 17, 2012
Can we talk about the fruit tree situation? I will never jeopardize the fruit tree.

Content:

quote:

AITA for faking my giving birth?

I'll keep this as short as possible.
I (25f) am pregnant with the baby due in a couple of days. My husband (25m) promised that he would be the one to drive me to the hospital & that he will be glued to the phone until birth. He works only 10 minutes from our home & his boss agreed to let him go when the birth happens.

The problem is my mother-in-law. My husband & her have an unhealthily (IMO) strong bond & she is overly involved in our relationship which has caused many issues in the past. She requires his attention every day, she has suggested moving in with us ever since I became pregnant, she also has "emergencies" whenever we have anniversaries, important occasions (like my birthday) etc.

As the date is approaching I became increasingly worried that his mother will have an "emergency" during birth & I will have trouble getting to the hospital or will be forced to be alone during. I voiced my concerns & it caused fights between me & them. I even suggested asking my bsf to drive me & keep me company (as I'm scared of giving birth) but it was shot down with "how can't you trust your own husband?!".

So, I'm not proud of it but I faked giving birth yesterday. I called my hubby at work, told him it started, he said he will be right there. After half an hour, I called him to ask where he was & he didn't answer. After almost an hour he called me to say he is at the hospital with his mom because, guess what, she is having a medical emergency... Apparently he called her to tell her I am giving birth & she got "a heart attack" from excitement... He said he will have to miss my birth & actually asked me to call my friend to drive me & stay with me...

I admit, I was very angry & heartbroken so I told him I wasn't actually giving birth & that it was a test that showed me how he would actually behave vs what he said he would do & it that it proved he would always care for his mother more than for his own wife whose carrying his child. He was very angry & even blamed me for his mother's heart attack in that moment.

His mom of course didn't have a heart attack but a "false alarm". I felt very justified but now that we talked I feel guilty. He said he feels manipulated & gaslighted. That just because his mother lied about the emergency doesnt mean I should lie to him. He said that marriage is built on trust so I have to trust him instead of lying to him to prove a point. He even said that he didn't choose his mother over me but chose a "bigger emergency" & that he knew I could "handle getting to the hospital" but his mother needed him more & that a heart attack is more serious. I pointed out she lied but he said he "couldn't have known that" & that I was "just as bad for lying".

I feel like I'm going crazy. AITA?

Son found one just like dear old ma.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

but doctor, I am a fruit net.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

AnoHito posted:

It was the same when I was growing up in New Jersey, at least. Including the public school ski trips.

I never thought of skiing as anything particularly expensive; it was always sort of comparable to something like going to a football game.

You can ski in New Jersey???

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

DrNut posted:

Can we talk about the fruit tree situation? I will never jeopardize the fruit tree.

Content:

quote:

Edit: Just because I dont won't to be misunderstood - I did what I did because I am terrified to give birth alone. My friend would have to ask for a day off in advance so she'd have to know that she is needed before I actually get contractions. My mom died in childbirth and I don't want to be alone during the scariest moment of my life. Even if I am TA, I think this gave me the push I needed to "get my ducks in a row" & my friend already asked for a couple days off to be there when I need it. I'm just so scared.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

DrNut posted:

Content:

Nah, OP was right. She needs to divorce him yesterday.