Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Iron Rose
May 12, 2012

:minnie: Cat Army :minnie:

The Fool posted:

Boss is asking me if I want to go to any conferences and I need recommendations

I did hashiconf last year and have done Ignite a few times, so I'm not super excited about doing either one again right now.

We're not an AWS customer and my team doesn't work with k8s, so reInvent and kubecon are out.

Monitorama is awesome, highly recommend. https://monitorama.com/

It’s that nice size too where you don’t have multiple tens of thousands of attendees so you can actually learn things from the sessions and the people there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

One thing I cannot advocate for enough - and it took me ages to get on board with this - is telling people the amount of time you need for the full project. Not just the implementation part of it, but the time you'll need to read documentation to get up to speed with whatever you are doing, the time you need to organise your workflow properly so your config files and scripts or whatever are in the right places and you understand them, the time needed to handle communication with external parties, writing handover documentation etc.

Every time I do this now I look at what I'm estimating and think I'm putting 3-4 extra days on the schedule, then resist the urge to cut it down in any way, and every time I am very grateful for the 'extra' time. If you have someone else pushing back then hopefully you're able to have that discussion with them regarding where they think you're being a bit too generous, but on a 20-day project nobody is going to come back to you if they think it should actually be 17 or whatever.

I spent too long finishing one job and going straight onto the next one and trying to fit documentation in and it never worked, and it puts you in the wrong frame of mind to do the actual tasks.

Thanks Ants fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Apr 3, 2024

Vulture Culture
Jul 14, 2003

I was never enjoying it. I only eat it for the nutrients.

The Fool posted:

Boss is asking me if I want to go to any conferences and I need recommendations

I did hashiconf last year and have done Ignite a few times, so I'm not super excited about doing either one again right now.

We're not an AWS customer and my team doesn't work with k8s, so reInvent and kubecon are out.
QCon seems fun. I always wanted to go to Strange Loop but 2023 was its final year

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

Additionally, make sure to document what deliverables you will need from second/third parties that will block you if you don't have them. Like, no I can't finish configuring the security if the relevant security groups haven't been defined and I know their names.
Being blocked on external deliverables is one of the most stressful things for me.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

+ a project that has 20 days on it is three weeks - at some point in those three weeks you're going to wake up and need to write the day off because you've slept really badly or something lovely has happened.

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

We just decided to move all of our projects from tickets to microsoft planner, which... ok fine but FS has a project thing that we have access to I'm pretty sure but whatever we'll use the watered down stuff. Sure, I'll just copy paste my poo poo around because I'm still going to create tickets for each work effort, but they're putting in "due dates" for a dozens of projects, most of which are mine, which are completely arbitrary other than ones that have a specific day it needs to be done by and are asking for zero input from me.

Also, they appointed one of the HD guys as the project manager, except the only thing he's doing is adding a comment to the project in planner asking for an update on the project status which is the opposite of useful and just annoys me.

We aren't setting priorities on anything and my boss pings me at least twice a day and asks me to do whatever idiot idea popped into his head.

It's a joke, it's all a joke, I'm laughing and just going to keep on keepin' on, nothing actually matters, I'll continue to prioritize my work how I see fit, do 4-6 hours of work a day and then tune out.

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Wait, tickets going to Microsoft Planner or just projects for a small shop. I can't imagine using it for tickets.

[edit: Kanban or something like Planner should help with the boss thing. Just throw the cards in the backlog or at the bottom of "to do" and ignore them until they are prioritized.]

Blurb3947
Sep 30, 2022
FINALLY got a job offer after 10 months of searching for work. It's a level 1 position at an MSP, they said I'd likely move up relatively quickly based on my experience but holy hell am I glad I got something at least.

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

GreenNight posted:

If any of ya'll want a Surface Pro 5 and a dock lemme know, been selling them on Craigslist since my org told me to throw them all away. They work!

Hi, yes please. I have a couple Surface devices and would love to expand my collection. PM me!

Dandywalken
Feb 11, 2014

Blurb3947 posted:

FINALLY got a job offer after 10 months of searching for work. It's a level 1 position at an MSP, they said I'd likely move up relatively quickly based on my experience but holy hell am I glad I got something at least.

Hell yeah, congrats!

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

MS Planner is absolutely not suitable for managing projects in. It's like 20% of an Asana which also isn't great for project management, and I think you'd struggle to get anybody using it if it wasn't 'free'.

digitalist
Nov 17, 2000

journey into Kirk's unknown

Blurb3947 posted:

:hfive:

congrats, that's awesome!

MF_James
May 8, 2008
I CANNOT HANDLE BEING CALLED OUT ON MY DUMBASS OPINIONS ABOUT ANTI-VIRUS AND SECURITY. I REALLY LIKE TO THINK THAT I KNOW THINGS HERE

INSTEAD I AM GOING TO WHINE ABOUT IT IN OTHER THREADS SO MY OPINION CAN FEEL VALIDATED IN AN ECHO CHAMBER I LIKE

Internet Explorer posted:

Wait, tickets going to Microsoft Planner or just projects for a small shop. I can't imagine using it for tickets.

[edit: Kanban or something like Planner should help with the boss thing. Just throw the cards in the backlog or at the bottom of "to do" and ignore them until they are prioritized.]

Projects in planner.

Lol nah that won't help with poo poo, we aren't prioritizing poo poo anyway so based on that nothing matters imo.

I am so far into no fucks territory I might never come back and honestly it's very freeing.

*edit* this probably will make it tough if/when I move jobs again though, will maybe have to give a poo poo and the thought of that is kind of scary

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Blurb3947 posted:

Nice! Glad to hear there's room for moving up.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Blurb3947 posted:

:yotj:

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

I don't jailbreak the androids, I set them free.

WATCH MARS EXPRESS (2023)

Blurb3947 posted:

Hell yeah congrats!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

as terrible as MSPS are, at least you usually get to interact with a broad variety of systems

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Yeah MSPs are great when youre first starting out. You get to touch a ton of poo poo, all in various degrees of ruin and disrepair, and just make it work. It really helped me when I was first making the jump from help desk to network and systems administration.

Of course they're universally terrible to work at, pay poo poo since the whole business is a race to the bottom, and churn through staff like crazy, but you will learn a lot in the 1-2 years you're able to tolerate it!

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

And if you're decent, you might get job offers from customers and can gtfo.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
I had a coworker at my last place who came from an MSP and I think it made him fearless. He wasn't afraid of anything, and could just dive in and figure it out. It's an interesting contrast to a coworker I have now that came from a huge company where he just did precisely one thing exactly as assigned, and so now in addition to mentoring and coaching him on the specific things we're doing, we also have to mentor and coach him on how to learn and explore, especially when there isn't a tier of engineers that have all the answers.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

The trenches of IT can scar a muppet for life
I’m not too experienced with all this but maybe somebody can help me figure out what I’m doing wrong.

I have a domain xyz.com and a new domain acme.com. I have forwarding set up for xyz.com to point to acme.com, along with the subdomain www
,xyz,com forwarding. If I type xyz.com or www,xyz,com into a browser, it redirects to acme.com. Great.

The problem is when you search for it on Google, the link shows https;//www,xyz,com. When you click on it. It doesn’t redirect, and I can’t figure out how to fix that.

(Used commas to not create links)

BaseballPCHiker
Jan 16, 2006

Google can take a bit to update, like days even, so I'd wait at first.

Heres all the info you should ever need - https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/301-redirects

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

https://search.google.com/search-console/welcome?utm_source=about-page

Make sure all your google analytics are updated and you can see what the crawlers/indexers/etc are doing.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Thanks Ants posted:

The sight of this horrific dock should induce PTSD

This exact dock was powering the main conference room at my last place lmao.

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

BaseballPCHiker posted:

Google can take a bit to update, like days even, so I'd wait at first.

Heres all the info you should ever need - https://developers.google.com/search/docs/crawling-indexing/301-redirects

Thanks.

Further research seems to indicate the issue is GoDaddy redirection doesn’t handle HTTPS.

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

Coworker is being racist in the other room

MF_James
May 8, 2008

First shots fired across the bow regarding our "project planning/tracking"

Something broke and the "PM" brought up we have a project planned to fix it that is due on 4/30 and if it could have just waited, which is not a negative comment obviously, but, I've been feeling salty that they just randomly assigned due dates to poo poo with zero input from the project resource (me) and with no understanding of any effort involved. Fired off "Well that was an arbitrary date set without any input from the project resource"

They also did not include me in the project planning meeting they had yesterday where I guess they might have set these? I dunno, no one bothered to even think about it obviously.

*edit* Apparently I am now invited to the meeting where they plan the projects I will execute, joy

MF_James fucked around with this message at 21:56 on Apr 4, 2024

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

Cyks posted:

Thanks.

Further research seems to indicate the issue is GoDaddy redirection doesn’t handle HTTPS.

Was able to finally fix it by using a site called redirect.pizza.
No idea how legit it is, but it worked so hey. The obvious answer is to not use GoDaddy, but my boss just migrated all of our domains from bluehost to it.

tokin opposition posted:

Coworker is being racist in the other room
and you are recording it, right?

Cyks fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Apr 4, 2024

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib

MF_James posted:

Something broke and the "PM" brought up we have a project planned to fix it that is due on 4/30 and if it could have just waited, which is not a negative comment obviously, but, I've been feeling salty that they just randomly assigned due dates to poo poo with zero input from the project resource (me) and with no understanding of any effort involved. Fired off "Well that was an arbitrary date set without any input from the project resource"

They also did not include me in the project planning meeting they had yesterday where I guess they might have set these? I dunno, no one bothered to even think about it obviously.

*edit* Apparently I am now invited to the meeting where they plan the projects I will execute, joy

I swear there's a way to do it in GoDaddy, I had to do this recently....

Oh you know what I had to do within cPanel.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/redirect-my-website-to-https-using-cpanel-27870

I think.

I saw the redirect.pizza link too though, I think it's legit "enough"

CloFan
Nov 6, 2004

CloudNS can do web redirects like that, and has a decent api for acme and other automation. Real cheap too!

Cyks
Mar 17, 2008

ziasquinn posted:

I swear there's a way to do it in GoDaddy, I had to do this recently....

Oh you know what I had to do within cPanel.

https://www.godaddy.com/help/redirect-my-website-to-https-using-cpanel-27870

I think.

I saw the redirect.pizza link too though, I think it's legit "enough"

I know very little scout web hosting in general and I saw that but from my understanding, that’s if godaddy is hosting. Our sites are hosted by a third party, we just manage the registrar.

I tried explaining the issue to the third party about the redirects and their response was “we don’t use HTTPS” (they do) so I just stopped going down that avenue.

CloFan posted:

CloudNS can do web redirects like that, and has a decent api for acme and other automation. Real cheap too!

Thanks. I’ll look into that too when my boss gets back from vacation. For some reason they decided the best time to change domains is at the beginning of the month, when people are trying to log in to pay rent.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

MF_James posted:

Ah, something pretty similar happened to me too at my last job. It was a good lesson in “If you’re going to bitch about something, don’t also bitch about being invited to the meeting where those decisions take place.”

Of course, they have no obligation to listen to you in those meetings, but they did invite you and that is your chance to pipe up on poo poo like this.

unknown
Nov 16, 2002
Ain't got no stinking title yet!

The issue with https redirect is getting the TLS certificate - Unless you are someone like cloudflare, that's a pita to do at scale, so most sites don't bother doing it.

Just add the second domain to your server with a generic redirect. You should already be handling it for your prefix/nonprefix (https://www.) anyways.

MF_James
May 8, 2008

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

Ah, something pretty similar happened to me too at my last job. It was a good lesson in “If you’re going to bitch about something, don’t also bitch about being invited to the meeting where those decisions take place.”

Of course, they have no obligation to listen to you in those meetings, but they did invite you and that is your chance to pipe up on poo poo like this.

I like actually planning I was doing MSP engineering for the past 6ish years, so it's nothing I shy away from, what I do not like is having unreasonable expectations and no input; I have done all this work 100x that they're asking me to do, sometimes with help, most often not, I generally know the time it will take in hours so I can make reasonable assumptions as to when I can get it done based on random bullshit happening.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

https://x.com/axios/status/1575591755009097729

FIRED APPLE EXEC TELLS THE REAL STORY.

tl;dr - A popular well known Apple exec was fired for supposedly making a crude sexist joke a few years back but what I didn't know was that he made blog post outlining everything and it was mostly all out of context. Am I off base here though? I really feel like they shouldn't have a fired the guy at all and I'm actually surprised they did.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

He might have had a point in there but he started going off about “political correctness” and “woke” and “cancelled” so my reaction is :jerkbag:

SlowBloke
Aug 14, 2017

Gucci Loafers posted:

https://x.com/axios/status/1575591755009097729

FIRED APPLE EXEC TELLS THE REAL STORY.

tl;dr - A popular well known Apple exec was fired for supposedly making a crude sexist joke a few years back but what I didn't know was that he made blog post outlining everything and it was mostly all out of context. Am I off base here though? I really feel like they shouldn't have a fired the guy at all and I'm actually surprised they did.

Big corpos will happily fire their best staffers once the optics on keeping them will create marketing troubles. Especially on firms that do figurative stunts on inclusivity like Apple.

Gucci Loafers
May 20, 2006

Ask yourself, do you really want to talk to pair of really nice gaudy shoes?

Thanks Ants posted:

He might have had a point in there but he started going off about “political correctness” and “woke” and “cancelled” so my reaction is :jerkbag:

Yea... he def. has an ego but I thought his actions were in jest.

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Like the post above yours says, Apple have an image they have created and will seek to maintain at all costs, about being inclusive as long as you can afford their products, caring about the environment while making their things impossible to maintain etc. - they aren't going to risk any of that for half a second when the alternative is to just fire someone and perhaps spend a few thousand dollars on lawyers to intimidate that party into never thinking about taking their case as far as a courtroom.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tokin opposition
Apr 8, 2021

SlowBloke posted:

Big corpos will happily fire their best staffers once the optics on keeping them will create marketing troubles. Especially on firms that do figurative stunts on inclusivity like Apple.

He's a VP, only work he's done is making other people miserable op