Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Buck Wildman)

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
The modern interpretation I like to use for old-school D&D is "Target 20":

d20 + attack bonus + the target's AC = result

if the result is 20 or more, it's a hit

it maintains compatibility with the AD&D-style armor where Plate is AC 2 (which is good) versus Leather Armor being AC 8, while also keeping bonuses positive and penalties negative, and rolling high is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Ok what the gently caress Crash Bandicoot. You have scuba levels where you swim around the bottom of the ocean but somehow instantly die if you touch foot high water in the pyramid level?? What were they thinking???

Pepe Silvia Browne
Jan 1, 2007
Donkey Kong Country 2 rulez

RandolphCarter
Jul 30, 2005

it’s well know that bandicoots dissolve in fresh water

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Mantis42 posted:

Ok what the gently caress Crash Bandicoot. You have scuba levels where you swim around the bottom of the ocean but somehow instantly die if you touch foot high water in the pyramid level?? What were they thinking???

a mummy cursed the pyramid water. learn the lore!

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

gradenko_2000 posted:

The modern interpretation I like to use for old-school D&D is "Target 20":

d20 + attack bonus + the target's AC = result

if the result is 20 or more, it's a hit

it maintains compatibility with the AD&D-style armor where Plate is AC 2 (which is good) versus Leather Armor being AC 8, while also keeping bonuses positive and penalties negative, and rolling high is good.

shouldn't that be a minus? the defense value of a target should be a penalty to the attacker's roll, no?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

double nine posted:

shouldn't that be a minus? the defense value of a target should be a penalty to the attacker's roll, no?

in old-school D&D, better-quality armor had a lower armor class. As I said, plate armor was AC 2, while leather armor was AC 8

the original way you were supposed to play this was a direct table look-up:

A level 1-2 Fighter, when attacking an opponent with AC 8, needed a 12 or higher to hit the opponent
if the opponent had AC 2, then they'd need an 18 or higher: better armor = higher target number = harder to hit

___

THAC0, which was the method used in AD&D 2nd Edition and all the Infinity Engine games (except Icewind Dale 2), was an alternative that tried to eliminate the look-up table: it stands for [To-Hit, AC 0].

At level 1, you had a THAC0 of 20. That means that if the enemy had an AC of 0, you would need a 20 to hit them.
But, if your enemy's AC was anything else, then you were supposed to subtract it from the THAC0

if the opponent had an AC of 8, then you take your THAC0 of 20, subtract 8, and you get 12: you need a 12 or higher to hit the opponent
if the opponent had an AC of 2, then you take your THAC0 of 20, subtract 2, and you get 18: better armor = smaller reduction in THAC0 = higher target number = harder to hit

this was not particularly intuitive

if the opponent had an AC of [-2], then the equation becomes [THAC0 20 - (-2)], which simplifies to [THAC0 20 + 2] because the negative of a negative is a positive, and then you get a THAC0 of 22

on the other hand, if you had a +1 magic sword, then you were supposed to subtract one from your THAC0, which also gets confusing because the sword is +1, but you're doing subtraction against the THAC0

___

the Target20 method I posted about inverts the equation so that everything retains the same sign, and most things are added

if your opponent had an AC of 8, then you take your d20 roll, and add 8 to it, and look for a 20: you'd need a roll a 12 or higher to get to 20, after adding 8
if your opponent had an AC of 2, then you take your d20 roll, and add 2 to it, and look for a 20: you'd need a roll of 18 or higher to get to 20, after adding 2: better armor = smaller addend to the equation = higher roll required = harder to hit

if the opponent had an AC of [-2], then you subtract from the d20 roll. It continues to be intuitive, because the negative number is still treated as a negative number
if you had a +1 magic sword, then you add +1 to the d20 roll. It continues to be intuitive.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

in old-school D&D, better-quality armor had a lower armor class. As I said, plate armor was AC 2, while leather armor was AC 8

the original way you were supposed to play this was a direct table look-up:

A level 1-2 Fighter, when attacking an opponent with AC 8, needed a 12 or higher to hit the opponent
if the opponent had AC 2, then they'd need an 18 or higher: better armor = higher target number = harder to hit

___

THAC0, which was the method used in AD&D 2nd Edition and all the Infinity Engine games (except Icewind Dale 2), was an alternative that tried to eliminate the look-up table: it stands for [To-Hit, AC 0].

At level 1, you had a THAC0 of 20. That means that if the enemy had an AC of 0, you would need a 20 to hit them.
But, if your enemy's AC was anything else, then you were supposed to subtract it from the THAC0

if the opponent had an AC of 8, then you take your THAC0 of 20, subtract 8, and you get 12: you need a 12 or higher to hit the opponent
if the opponent had an AC of 2, then you take your THAC0 of 20, subtract 2, and you get 18: better armor = smaller reduction in THAC0 = higher target number = harder to hit

this was not particularly intuitive

if the opponent had an AC of [-2], then the equation becomes [THAC0 20 - (-2)], which simplifies to [THAC0 20 + 2] because the negative of a negative is a positive, and then you get a THAC0 of 22

on the other hand, if you had a +1 magic sword, then you were supposed to subtract one from your THAC0, which also gets confusing because the sword is +1, but you're doing subtraction against the THAC0

___

the Target20 method I posted about inverts the equation so that everything retains the same sign, and most things are added

if your opponent had an AC of 8, then you take your d20 roll, and add 8 to it, and look for a 20: you'd need a roll a 12 or higher to get to 20, after adding 8
if your opponent had an AC of 2, then you take your d20 roll, and add 2 to it, and look for a 20: you'd need a roll of 18 or higher to get to 20, after adding 2: better armor = smaller addend to the equation = higher roll required = harder to hit

if the opponent had an AC of [-2], then you subtract from the d20 roll. It continues to be intuitive, because the negative number is still treated as a negative number
if you had a +1 magic sword, then you add +1 to the d20 roll. It continues to be intuitive.

THAC0 is so convoluted it's amazing anyone ever bothered playing d&d 1 or 2. i bet a lot of people just ignored it and figured out a system that wasn't so stupid

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

THAC0 is so convoluted it's amazing anyone ever bothered playing d&d 1 or 2. i bet a lot of people just ignored it and figured out a system that wasn't so stupid

like, the other great option is to just hand-out the attack roll tables for people to look it up with

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY
https://twitter.com/ShiinaBR/status/1775863924518232370?s=19

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

After spending a while with the Infinite Wealth pause menu up on our TV screen while I was getting a snack, my wife reached the conclusion that Ichiban is a werewolf, and even if the plot twist werewolf reveal has not occurred after one game starring him, it will soon

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hatebag posted:

Nerds fuckin loved convoluted math tricks. This was a pre-computer era where Gamers claimed to be mentat calculators and if you wanted errata you had to write and mail a letter.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i guess you effectively still level THAC0 in modern dnd as the attack modifier on your primary ability, but it's just right there on your character sheet. and you roll against enemy armor which is just bigger number = better than. THAC0 crawled so ability scores could run

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
this really could go into about half-a-dozen other threads in CSPAM but I guess this is the most germane

https://red-autumn.itch.io/social-democracy

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

The idea of armor classes being better when smaller is super counterintuitive IMO, like, the implication is not that you're getting a bonus from really good armor but that you're starting from Perfect Armor and taking a penalty for how far away the armor you're wearing is from that

but I haven't played a 2e D&D game since I was like twelve so I don't remember it great

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

loquacius posted:

The idea of armor classes being better when smaller is super counterintuitive IMO, like, the implication is not that you're getting a bonus from really good armor but that you're starting from Perfect Armor and taking a penalty for how far away the armor you're wearing is from that

but I haven't played a 2e D&D game since I was like twelve so I don't remember it great

it's because Gary Gygax derived it from the wargaming tradition: "armor class" is supposed to mean that 1 is "first class armor", as in the best

ScootsMcSkirt
Oct 29, 2013

loquacius posted:

if wearing armor gives a higher AC score, which is worse, then I would simply not wear armor, easy

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

boy, the more i learn about this gygax fella, the worse he seems

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

gradenko_2000 posted:

it's because Gary Gygax derived it from the wargaming tradition: "armor class" is supposed to mean that 1 is "first class armor", as in the best

All D&D culture runs downstream from the toxic waste Gygax generated in his brain and overflowed onto the published page. He hated Conan The Barbarian being witty, clever, and instilled with effortless leadership. That is why The Barbarian class is the way it is: big strong caveman hit monster hard and get big mad.

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat
He was an insurance actuary as his dayjob and it shows in all his work.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

The demo for goty is out!!

https://x.com/Wario64/status/1775736072955203887?s=20

What's real neat about the demo is that each platform has a different character for the demo. Can't wait to crack open that bad boy tonight.

Maximo Roboto
Feb 4, 2012

https://twitter.com/ettingermentum/status/1775586586542928380?s=46

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Srice posted:

What's real neat about the demo is that each platform has a different character for the demo. Can't wait to crack open that bad boy tonight.

Oh hell yeah, I love inscrutable jrpgs, and SaGa is the most inscrutable out of them all.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

ScootsMcSkirt posted:

if wearing armor gives a higher AC score, which is worse, then I would simply not wear armor, easy

closer to the truth than you'd think

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

KirbyKhan posted:

All D&D culture runs downstream from the toxic waste Gygax generated in his brain and overflowed onto the published page. He hated Conan The Barbarian being witty, clever, and instilled with effortless leadership. That is why The Barbarian class is the way it is: big strong caveman hit monster hard and get big mad.

And now people hate 5e because it's too unbalanced

Ironic

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

this really could go into about half-a-dozen other threads in CSPAM but I guess this is the most germane

i went hardliner trying to be as much of a second kdp as possible but it did nothing! hitler is op!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Srice posted:

heck yeah. some day I'm gonna do a SaGa series odyssey like I have yakuza

Eason the Fifth
Apr 9, 2020

Is this loss

KirbyKhan
Mar 20, 2009

Soiled Meat

Buck Wildman posted:

Fuckin.... Whoo boy, that is a tall order. Unlimited Saga has like 0 documentation and is made as a boardgame. Best of luck.

The SaGa Frontier remake is really good, exactly what I wanted as a fan of the PS1 original

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

gradenko_2000 posted:

ok how do we hamstring the SPD and ensure a KPD victory

drew a vote of no confidence and triggered early elections, won with 32% of the vote up from 29%

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 has issued a correction as of 15:25 on Apr 4, 2024

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

ok how do we hamstring the SPD and ensure a KPD victory

i don't think you can get the kpd to form a coalition with you (probably on account of all the murder) but yeah maybe if you just eat the nazis' lunch and go right/bourgeois you can make yourself into a ramp for the kpd

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Hindenburg won the game but chose the evil path ending by appointing Hitler chancellor

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003

Hatebag posted:

i don't think you can get the kpd to form a coalition with you (probably on account of all the murder) but yeah maybe if you just eat the nazis' lunch and go right/bourgeois you can make yourself into a ramp for the kpd

Ended with Civil War. WW2 averted! Good ending!

stumblebum
May 8, 2022

no, what you want to do is get somebody mad enough to give you a red title you're proud of
i also got a civil war ending, triggered by the kpd getting their president elected with 44% of the vote, about twice as much as the next candidate (runoffs votes were literally unchanged from first round, including not dropping any candidates?). i also only ever got attacked by right-wing militias once (and lost), but didnt care because i constantly hammered support of the kpd and making peace with their militants anyways. the one thing im curious about is how to get your communism up high enough early on to do the "communists dont trust you yet" decisions before the game ends, because i did everything i could to surrender to the communists and they never trusted me up to the point where we were on the same side of the civil war (understandable, but confusing in gameplay terms)

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Mantis42 posted:

do you have scuba gear in the pyramid? no? well then get hosed

loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

stumblebum posted:

i also got a civil war ending, triggered by the kpd getting their president elected with 44% of the vote, about twice as much as the next candidate (runoffs votes were literally unchanged from first round, including not dropping any candidates?). i also only ever got attacked by right-wing militias once (and lost), but didnt care because i constantly hammered support of the kpd and making peace with their militants anyways. the one thing im curious about is how to get your communism up high enough early on to do the "communists dont trust you yet" decisions before the game ends, because i did everything i could to surrender to the communists and they never trusted me up to the point where we were on the same side of the civil war (understandable, but confusing in gameplay terms)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XkY88kvkdvU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Buck Wildman posted:

A perilous journey, but a very rewarding one. Good luck, gamer.

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Mantis42 posted:

angry video game nerd acct spotted

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

Srice posted:

A perilous journey, but a very rewarding one. Good luck, gamer.

it's the "some day" that's key

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3 posted:

Ended with Civil War. WW2 averted! Good ending!

dang. i got a civil war too, but i lost. guess i shoulda been trying to beat hitler in the streets instead of the ballot box