Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Rageaholic posted:

:psyduck:

Do studios not understand how lame most of them are?

Name recognition trumps everything right now in Hollywood, even more than IP a decade ago. People recognize the words "Flamin' Hot Cheetos"? Greenlight! People have heard the word "Tetris" before? Greenlight! Barbie? Rubix Cube? The Sims? Greenlight!

A person who sold many, many millions of albums is a surefire bet. Will be very surprised if the movie isn't renamed to Winehouse before release.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

:psyduck:

Do studios not understand how lame most of them are?

How many modern music biopics have been good? Besides Walk Hard, which wasn't about someone real, and should have killed the genre.

Weird was fun, and I liked it, but felt a little too much like it wanted to be Walk Hard, to me. Still fun, though, but mainly because it ignored the truth.
Rocketman was decent.
I didn't see Elvis.

And that's all I've got. I've gotta go back to 8 Mile to find another one I liked.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
I just hope the company biopic gets killed soon.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

MacheteZombie posted:

I just hope the company biopic gets killed soon.

I feel like that's just getting started.

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I liked Love and Mercy, but that came out a decade ago. Pretty much every other biopic since then has been meh at best. Walk Hard has ruined every music biopic for me. In every other one I've seen, I just see so many of the tropes parodied in Walk Hard and that makes it unable for me to take them seriously.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
To keep you safe

Rageaholic posted:

I liked Love and Mercy, but that came out a decade ago. Pretty much every other biopic since then has been meh at best. Walk Hard has ruined every music biopic for me. In every other one I've seen, I just see so many of the tropes parodied in Walk Hard and that makes it unable for me to take them seriously.

Agreed. Now when I watch most biopics, there will be a bunch of moments where I think, "Oh, this is the part of the movie where they have to <insert trope here>" thanks to Walk Hard. It was such a perfect take down, I don't know why people are still trying, or haven't changed it up.

Maybe the latter is what happened with company biopics, I dunno.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Slotducks posted:

biopics gotta slow down for a while - we're nearing marvel levels of oversaturation

kiimo posted:

there are so many more coming

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_biographical_films#2020s

:whitewater:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

lol yeah.

...yeah.

I don't see the dumb Richard Simmons one on there hopefully that died

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

Some of these are stretching the definition of biopic a bit. Terrance Malick's upcoming film about Christ probably can't be considered a "biopic" in they way it's being bemoaned here. Or like, The Promised Land, Killers of the Flower Moon, Argentina 1985, Benedetta, etc. These are just films about a historical event. But yeah there's a shocking amount of trash in there too.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Post some dang trailers, people

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NuON7HH0UkQ

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post

Lol the bit with the shadow is super fun.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Looks sick.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

kiimo posted:

lol yeah.

...yeah.

I don't see the dumb Richard Simmons one on there hopefully that died

I think Simmons' response being "What? No" probably killed that one. Kind of hard to play the we're just honoring him card when he doesn't want you to do it.

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi
Mar 26, 2005

I have a hard time believing a Ronald Reagan biopic won't be absolutely insufferable.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
What if they make it an experimental look inside his dementia-addled mind in the style of Naked Lunch or something (I'm thinking Gaspar Noe).

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
I would love a Ronald Reagan movie about his second term from his own swiss-cheese-brain perspective in the style of Shock Treatment.

edit: great minds think alike

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 21:39 on Apr 3, 2024

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

Not a horror guy but this looks good

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Cpt. Mahatma Gandhi posted:

I have a hard time believing a Ronald Reagan biopic won't be absolutely insufferable.

The film stars Dennis Quaid, is told from the POV of an ex-KGB agent, and was directed by Sean McNamara whose previous work includes 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain, The Secret World of Alex Mack, That's So Raven, a whole lot of Baby Geniuses sequels
What even is this :psyduck:

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

The film stars Dennis Quaid, is told from the POV of an ex-KGB agent, and was directed by Sean McNamara whose previous work includes 3 Ninjas: High Noon at Mega Mountain, The Secret World of Alex Mack, That's So Raven, a whole lot of Baby Geniuses sequels

seems like the kind of film I go to the theater for.

see: Cats, Madame Web

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

kiimo posted:

No :colbert:

bows1
May 16, 2004

Chill, whale, chill

for some reason Dennis Quaid always reminds me of an... Ellen? skit where he walks into coffee shops and announces himself. DENNIS QUAID IS HERE

Dillbag
Mar 4, 2007

Click here to join Lem Lee in the Hell Of Being Cut To Pieces
Nap Ghost

kiimo posted:

seems like the kind of film I go to the theater for.

kids, this is what happens when you see Tommy Wiseau's face on a giant The Room poster on your drive to work every day for 3 years

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

thrawn527 posted:

How many modern music biopics have been good? Besides Walk Hard, which wasn't about someone real, and should have killed the genre.

Weird was fun, and I liked it, but felt a little too much like it wanted to be Walk Hard, to me. Still fun, though, but mainly because it ignored the truth.
Rocketman was decent.
I didn't see Elvis.

And that's all I've got. I've gotta go back to 8 Mile to find another one I liked.

Get on UP was the only one that works for me. Almost Famous is sort of a biopic if you squint.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

I remember enjoying I'm Not There but its been a while.

AceOfFlames
Oct 9, 2012

*scrolls to a random place in page*

*sees The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It*

lol, lmao

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

My mom was telling me that she saw Tucker Carlson interview Dennis Quaid. Is he a chud?

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Rageaholic posted:

My mom was telling me that she saw Tucker Carlson interview Dennis Quaid. Is he a chud?

Both Quaids are huge chuds. Randy more then Dennis though

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Randy Quaid is a chud yes, because he currently lives in a subterranean tunnel

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

I would say Dennis is fairly conservative and Randy is a crazy person who needs medication like possibly chlorpromazine

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AceOfFlames posted:

*scrolls to a random place in page*

*sees The Conjuring: The Devil Made Me Do It*

lol, lmao

That's mostly based on a real world murder & trial where the killer's defense was "A devil made me do it" which was connected to Ed and Lorraine Warren, who were also famously connected to the whole Amityville thing. There was also a 1983 TV movie featuring Kevin Bacon and Andy Griffith
The demon possession aspect is bullshit fantasy mumbo-jumbo but a large part of the movie is actually based on actual events

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Full trailer for the Sandman spinoff dropping in three weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwJmZ2Ekfbc

kiimo
Jul 24, 2003

Thought that was Ezra Miller for a sec

Pigma_Micron
Jan 24, 2005

I am putting myself to the fullest possible use, which is all I think that any conscious entity can ever hope to do.

flashy_mcflash posted:

I remember enjoying I'm Not There but its been a while.

I'll take the opportunity to do a quick (semi-thread related) brag:

I actually have a 35mm print of the trailer I stole from work 20 years ago.

...I guess it's not much of a brag, but I like having it.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

bows1 posted:

for some reason Dennis Quaid always reminds me of an... Ellen? skit where he walks into coffee shops and announces himself. DENNIS QUAID IS HERE

lol same

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

Jedit posted:

Full trailer for the Sandman spinoff dropping in three weeks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwJmZ2Ekfbc

B...

But they didn't reach that part in the Sandman series?!

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Samovar posted:

B...

But they didn't reach that part in the Sandman series?!

HBO Max made this series then decided they didn't want it and sold it on mostly complete to Netflix. Netflix did a bit of reshooting to add one or two actors from The Sandman, but decided not to wait a year to release it. Sandman S2 does contain the relevant story, and it's believed to be the first block of episodes.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Yeah the characters appeared in an episode of Doom Patrol but with different actors.

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Don't look until you see the trailer: Taking the style of "Kevin Can gently caress Himself" and putting it into a feature length film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVxREqaoDA

Alicia Silverstone and Nick Frost in this weird Dutch movie.

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

Vintersorg posted:

Don't look until you see the trailer: Taking the style of "Kevin Can gently caress Himself" and putting it into a feature length film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9mVxREqaoDA

Alicia Silverstone and Nick Frost in this weird Dutch movie.

Also pretty sure that house is the exact layout of the Married With Children house

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

wtf kind of trailer is that.