Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

he tried to hook up with a teenager moments after meeting her. he's a predator.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sounds pretty grizzly

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

tbp posted:

Tbf I think he's significantly younger than any of the party members.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Teddie was there before people, and he will be there eons after the last person

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Also I am unsure he is aware of what hooking up entails.

anakha
Sep 16, 2009

I'm still surprised Dojima didn't beat the poo poo out of Teddie after this line to Nanako.

anakha fucked around with this message at 03:10 on Apr 4, 2024

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

for the record that poster, like, just started p4g

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
P4 is both a product of its time with the TV/anime inspiration and a creative team who weren't as good at character/situational comedy as the originals, and thus relied on that TV/anime influence of the early-mid 00s to take the wheel.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

anakha posted:

I'm still surprised Dojima didn't beat the poo poo out of Teddie after this line to Nanako.

Dojima: can't parent right now, too busy brooding over THAT DRIVER WHO KILLED MY WIFE AAAAAAAUGH!!!

staberind
Feb 20, 2008

but i dont wanna be a spaceship
Fun Shoe
Thank ciccada-christ for undub patches.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

tbp posted:

You're probably not going to love P4G as much as 3 or 5, I'm afraid.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

staberind posted:

Huh? What are you playing that would even have one, the games have shipped with Japanese audio for years now

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

tbp posted:

Like he literally doesn't get what that means in any real sense. He still sucks but the joke is that he basically is ignorant of things.

staberind posted:

Teddie's sub voice is miiiiles worse.

Weird Pumpkin
Oct 7, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

Like he literally doesn't get what that means in any real sense. He still sucks but the joke is that he basically is ignorant of things.

Teddie's sub voice is miiiiles worse.

Yeah Teddie and iirc Rise are uh.. a pretty rough listen in the original dub

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Teddie's basically a very impressionable child who sees and hears what the older kids are doing and wants to do it too.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Teddie is bad and even worse in the sub. Sometimes I think about replaying P4G and then think about how much I hate that bear.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ChaosArgate posted:

Teddie's basically a very impressionable child who sees and hears what the older kids are doing and wants to do it too.

He's really not. Sometimes it feels like that's how he's meant to be read, but Teddie is a straight up predator.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He's really not. Sometimes it feels like that's how he's meant to be read, but Teddie is a straight up predator.

You can disagree with how funny it is but nah

"Sometimes" no, basically always, that is the core joke

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

As a bear, he's not just a predator, he is also a forager too

But in all seriousness, he's an idiot flirt. I dont think he qualifies as a predator

DemoneeHo fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Apr 4, 2024

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

The thing is that, no, he isn't. Like Teddie says those things but there's nothing actually behind them. He is painted as too 'innocent' to really get what he's asking for and comes across as trying to mimic humanity more than he is actually being human. (Which is, again, intentional.) Teddie is annoying as poo poo and I don't think the joke is funny, but the entire premise of the guy is that he really doesn't understand what it means to be human and he's doing his best to mimic what he thinks humanity is. He has other dialogue which makes it pretty clear he isn't really even sure what sex is.

Like the basic premise of the character is that he's an empty hollow mascot suit trying to appeal to humans. He's annoying as poo poo and 'acts like a pervert unknowingly' isn't particularly any more funny than 'acts like a pervert knowingly' but there's no actual indication at any point that Teddie is anything but a big dumb child.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

At no point does Teddie indicate that he actually knows what "scoring" is.

This is all moot because Teddie redeems himself via his actual purpose in the plot: ruining Yosuke's life.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

P4 has an actual character who is a city slicker who resents being dumped in a crummy small town, is a misogynist, and who preys on women, and who inexplicably gets his own social link that's borderline sympathetic/redemptive. I'm referring of course to Yosuke.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Janissary Hop posted:

P4 has an actual character who is a city slicker who resents being dumped in a crummy small town, is a misogynist, and who preys on women, and who inexplicably gets his own social link that's borderline sympathetic/redemptive. I'm referring of course to Yosuke.

I thought you were talking about Adachi TBH.

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

I thought you were talking about Adachi TBH.

:thejoke:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I am good at jokes!!!

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Adachi's SL is sympathetic? More like just pathetic.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I thinks its written to be given that you have the option to betray your friends and join him but I don't think it works too well

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
teddy is tiresome but I think the poor boy would start to panic very quickly if his flirting was ever reciprocated

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

hatty posted:

I thinks its written to be given that you have the option to betray your friends and join him but I don't think it works too well

:same:

I have to say there was an attempt and I thought it was funny his schedule was p random for meetups instead of just waiting on exact days for us to show up and chat.

Dramatika
Aug 1, 2002

THE BANK IS OPEN

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

He’s beary problematic!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Obviously, he's a bear

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
This discussion is too much to bear.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

You really have to kumait to the bit or it gets grizzy. Nobody can bear so many puns without variety.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that, no, he isn't. Like Teddie says those things but there's nothing actually behind them. He is painted as too 'innocent' to really get what he's asking for and comes across as trying to mimic humanity more than he is actually being human. (Which is, again, intentional.) Teddie is annoying as poo poo and I don't think the joke is funny, but the entire premise of the guy is that he really doesn't understand what it means to be human and he's doing his best to mimic what he thinks humanity is. He has other dialogue which makes it pretty clear he isn't really even sure what sex is.

Like the basic premise of the character is that he's an empty hollow mascot suit trying to appeal to humans. He's annoying as poo poo and 'acts like a pervert unknowingly' isn't particularly any more funny than 'acts like a pervert knowingly' but there's no actual indication at any point that Teddie is anything but a big dumb child.

It's this, and also this game was released in 2008. Some 16-year-old jokes (made by and among 16-year-olds) don't age as well as others. That's to be expected, especially when it comes to teenage slice-of-life/action-comedy animes/anime-style games. You don't have to LOVE them or not cringe at them or anything, it's just good to contextualize them.

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

I don't think Teddie is a predator or anything, I just think he sucks mostly.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

ImpAtom posted:

Him not knowing what sex is doesn't make him not a predator. He's still constantly harassing the women around him and multiple gags involve him groping someone or attempting to do so and "comically" ending up assaulting Kanji instead.

like I get the archetype they were going for, but you're not an innocent alien if you constantly get negative feedback and elect to bowl over clearly communicated boundaries

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Him not knowing what sex is doesn't make him not a predator. He's still constantly harassing the women around him and multiple gags involve him groping someone or attempting to do so and "comically" ending up assaulting Kanji instead.

like I get the archetype they were going for, but you're not an innocent alien if you constantly get negative feedback and elect to bowl over clearly communicated boundaries

Again, Teddie is portrayed as functionally a child. Like not in a 'this is subtext' way, he acts like and is treated as a child and has a child's view of the world. He does inappropriate things because he was functionally born five seconds before the game began. Portraying that as 'a predator' implies a level of maturity and capability that isn't really present in the character. He's not even on the level of Morgana who is at least portrayed as a functional human being outside of being a cat. The jokes aren't funny but Teddie is literally (as in this is something the game points out) basically on the same mental level as Nanako.

The jokes aren't funny because the writers are putting a childlike character in those positions so they can write cheap jokes, but the character themself is just a dumbass child-bear.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
The child bear should be killed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sunk Dunk
Apr 14, 2021
The majority of characters in these games are predators so singling out teddy there doesn’t make a lot of sense to me