Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Cursed image of the day is the title page of Bust Out Laffin' (1954)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

By popular demand posted:

"Ed, you can't put a naked lady on the front page of a funnybook."

"Fffine *crudely paints in bikini*"

"Ed why's she wearing a bikini to self-defense class?"

"Will you just get out so I can masturbate in peace!"

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Not that this is the worst portion of the page.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

By popular demand posted:

I only read it for the yaks.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

axolotl farmer posted:

I only read it for the yaks.

What not a big fan of the gaffaws? Well to each their own I guess.

:shrug:

Radio Paranoia
Jun 27, 2010

It is now safe to turn off your computer.

Wee Bairns posted:

Jesus. I thought I was looking at something smaller submerged in a shallow pool, then realized, nope, it's the whole goddamned thing

I thought it was a protective barrier around a submerged hippo at first. :aaa:

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

I wonder what getting stung by one of these ones would be like:

can i pat the big pancake once?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Seven idiots and a bear walk into a dragon's lair.

Sting rays are actually extraordinarily docile and many of them quite enjoy being petted.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

CuwiKhons posted:

Sting rays are actually extraordinarily docile and many of them quite enjoy being petted.

Yeah. Local aquarium had a touch tank for a while, and the rays loved getting scritches.

I honestly think they removed the tank after a while because rays might've been leaping out. They loved getting petted so much that even the one time I was there I saw 3 of them almost leap out of the tank while jostling for pets.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
Rays are just generally awesome and it's always great when you see them just chilling in the sun in the shallow water.

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

Yeah. Local aquarium had a touch tank for a while, and the rays loved getting scritches.

I honestly think they removed the tank after a while because rays might've been leaping out. They loved getting petted so much that even the one time I was there I saw 3 of them almost leap out of the tank while jostling for pets.

Our zoo had a touch tank for all of like a week. THen the rays all died due to someone with sunscreen

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

Butterfly Valley posted:

I mean pretty much everywhere in the world is, but everyone has their own flavours of it depending on their history with colonialism/tribalism/religion/whatever. I've just seen the "well Europeans don't even think they're racist!" thing a few times, inevitably posted by Americans, and it feels like a brainless attempt at deflection/points scoring.

This post is a brainless attempt at deflection and points scoring. Doesn’t mean it’s wrong either though.

“European smugly tells me about racism in America, all the while completely oblivious to all the racist poo poo coming out their own mouths that would get them slapped/fired from their job back home” was a daily occurrence when I lived abroad.

America sucks poo poo but we have a self awareness (for once lol) that the Europeans do not on this one.

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Back in high school I spent a summer volunteering at my local aquarium and got to spend all day hanging out at the touch tank and telling people fun facts about sting rays. None of the adult rays ever tried to jump out but we did have some baby rays that were actual pancake size and they would try climb the glass to get at people's hands and demand pets.

Crab Dad
Dec 28, 2002

behold i have tempered and refined thee, but not as silver; as CRAB

I worked on a research vessel back in the 90s. Would put out an otter trawl net to scoop up bottom fish near a sewage treatment plant and do parasite count on them then release them.
Would loving suck when we caught a school of bat rays and they would slice each other to death inadvertently. Like up to 20 of the gentle dudes and it would look like a huge knife fight had just happened. Poor guys.

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

CuwiKhons posted:

Back in high school I spent a summer volunteering at my local aquarium and got to spend all day hanging out at the touch tank and telling people fun facts about sting rays. None of the adult rays ever tried to jump out but we did have some baby rays that were actual pancake size and they would try climb the glass to get at people's hands and demand pets.

Oh, yes! I used to volunteer at our local aquarium once a week! I worked in the back, cutting up the food that the animals would get that day. Bonus perk was I got to feed some of them myself! My favorite by far were the cownose stingrays in the touch pool. Oh my god I love those little flappy buddies so much! They were such puppies. :3: I'd be in the feeding spot, shoveling their food in their greedy little mouths, but sometimes they would come over and not take food. They just wanted some back scratches.

Stingrays are the best. I adore them!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

w00tmonger posted:

Our zoo had a touch tank for all of like a week. THen the rays all died due to someone with sunscreen

An ironic punishment would be if that person was sent to the sun with all the sunscreen they could handle

Butterfly Valley
Apr 19, 2007

I am a spectacularly bad poster and everyone in the Schadenfreude thread hates my guts.

seance snacks posted:

America sucks poo poo but we have a self awareness (for once lol) that the Europeans do not on this one.

Are we just ignoring the solid chunk of your electorate that would sincerely argue that the racism in America is against the whites, actually? How self aware is your average trump voter? Would you like me to stereotype your entire country as having their views?

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Look if the US didn't have those views why did they put them in office, come on now

seance snacks
Mar 30, 2007

no lol

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Now, now, folks, we can all be racist :unsmith:

Catastrophe
Oct 5, 2007

Committed to burn twice as long and half as bright
e: nvm, picture of a rock. noc.

Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Apr 4, 2024

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Captain Hygiene posted:

I'm racist, but only in the way that makes me morally superior to Other Country racists who can't even do racism right. I believe the preceding sentence makes me sound wise and rational, for some reason.

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

Captain Hygiene posted:

not me, i watched the green book

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

CuwiKhons posted:

Can you tell me a fun fact about stingrays?

CuwiKhons
Sep 24, 2009

Murdstone posted:

Everyone calling them the 'puppies' of the sea are in fact correct because baby sting rays are referred to as 'pups,' which they give live birth to rather than laying eggs outside their body. Touch tanks also typically clip the stingers on their tails to prevent accidents with guests, which does not hurt the rays. It's akin to clipping your nails. They can't feel it and it'll grow back if left alone.

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Murdstone posted:

The original screenplay for the 1980 cult classic "The Blues Brothers" had an extended sequence midway through the film where Jake and Elwood convince "Blue" Lou Marini to take a leave of absence from his job at the local aquarium through a series of high jinx that take them through the backstage and up close and personal with all kinds of wild fishes (including a school of curious Manta Rays) to the tune of Muddy Waters' "Rollin' & Tumblin'". The scene ends when Marini's boss/girlfriend decides she's had enough of all this trouble and reluctantly allows Lou to rejoin the band for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, they ended up cutting this sequence from the final version of the film after Akroyd introduced a Ray Ban.

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house
stingrays are beautiful creatures

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

R.L. Stine posted:

stingrays are beautiful creatures

its blood is worth like a kerjillion dollars

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Vampire Panties posted:

its blood is worth like a kerjillion dollars

Population is declining due to the desire for their blue blood. Humanity's rapacity is always cursed.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Actually it's because we're violently jealous that they found a peak evolutionary form and settled there indefinitely

flubber nuts
Oct 5, 2005

TrashMammal posted:

not me, i watched the green book

gadaffis green book got a movie? thats badass as hell.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/aY1WGyE.mp4

R.L. Stine
Oct 19, 2007

welcome to dead gay dog house

serves him right. all snakes are precious

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

I have *had* it with these motherfucking *snakes* on this motherfucking *fan*!

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

:whitewater:

Chrpno
Apr 17, 2006

Call Your Grandma posted:

The original screenplay for the 1980 cult classic "The Blues Brothers" had an extended sequence midway through the film where Jake and Elwood convince "Blue" Lou Marini to take a leave of absence from his job at the local aquarium through a series of high jinx that take them through the backstage and up close and personal with all kinds of wild fishes (including a school of curious Manta Rays) to the tune of Muddy Waters' "Rollin' & Tumblin'". The scene ends when Marini's boss/girlfriend decides she's had enough of all this trouble and reluctantly allows Lou to rejoin the band for a couple of weeks. Unfortunately, they ended up cutting this sequence from the final version of the film after Akroyd introduced a Ray Ban.

BOOOOOOOOO!

(i appreciated this)

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

McGavin posted:

:actually: it was 13, but got raised to 16 last year. It was on the news when it happened because Japan reformed their sex crimes legislation for the first time in 110 years.

:lmao: that all those creeps were getting it wrong the whole time. I heard 14 a million times.

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

Also a lot of prefectures were already at 16+

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

CuwiKhons posted:

Everyone calling them the 'puppies' of the sea are in fact correct because baby sting rays are referred to as 'pups,' which they give live birth to rather than laying eggs outside their body. Touch tanks also typically clip the stingers on their tails to prevent accidents with guests, which does not hurt the rays. It's akin to clipping your nails. They can't feel it and it'll grow back if left alone.
Thanks! I was actually wondering about how they handled the risk the stingers posed to guests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazy_Liberal
Sep 17, 2005

These stones are :sparkles: precious :sparkles:

shoulda turned it off, ya ding dong