Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan

StrangersInTheNight posted:

Is OP technically correct and within his rights? Sure. Would sharing some fruits have gone a long way to ease that tension? Absolutely.

Chances are if OP went over with a box of fruit and said "sorry, we are barely scraping by due to unforeseen medical bills and we wanted to try and ease up some of the burden with the fruit" the neighbor would probably fall all over themselves to help in shame

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

DrNut posted:

Can we talk about the fruit tree situation? I will never jeopardize the fruit tree.

Content:

Son found one just like dear old ma.

I feel like this falls under the same rule as snooping on a suspected cheater

You Are An rear end in a top hat if they pass the test and should not have tested them with manipulation and lies.

But if they fail the test hard like this dumbass husband did, you were 100% justified

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

She could have just called him and said 'sorry, false alarm', and he would never have known that he had been tested.

Fatty
Sep 13, 2004
Not really fat

Mx. posted:

AITA for telling my dad, who's in his late 50s, that it's too late for him to go to law school?

A liberal leaning army general with a law degree. Kids just pissed off about living in the White House in ten years time.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Shanghaied posted:

You can ski in New Jersey???

As much as every New Yorker likes to imagine otherwise, New Jersey is not just Newark extended to the size of a state.

Scipiotik
Mar 2, 2004

"I would have won the race but for that."

axolotl farmer posted:

She could have just called him and said 'sorry, false alarm', and he would never have known that he had been tested.

I imagine that in the moment confirming that'd she made a huge mistake marrying and procreating with this loser that she was not thinking clearly.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?

AnoHito posted:

As much as every New Yorker likes to imagine otherwise, New Jersey is not just Newark extended to the size of a state.

Yeah, there's also Atlantic City and the Turnpike.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

I love how the response is "I've lined up my BFF to be with me during birth" and not "I've sent this piss baby back to his abusive mother with a suitcase (go bag lol) and divorce papers"

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Look, do you want to live deliciously or not?

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!

New Stardew Valley update is wild.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Usually you'd get in trouble for being in possession of a human skull but this one's been grandfathered in.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

AceClown posted:

I love how the response is "I've lined up my BFF to be with me during birth" and not "I've sent this piss baby back to his abusive mother with a suitcase (go bag lol) and divorce papers"

I mean, divorcing the assclown still means she's gonna need her BFF to be there with her during birth.

Yadoppsi
May 10, 2009

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Usually you'd get in trouble for being in possession of a human skull but this one's been grandfathered in.

You're right. They may never get a chance like this ever again.

Batterypowered7
Aug 8, 2009

The mist that chills you keeps me warm.

Pope Corky the IX posted:

This is a good post.

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'

Mx. posted:

AITA for giving the footrests for my wife’s wheelchair back to my daughter?

this man's account name is throwradumbdaughter and he is being excoriated in the comments

There's been like 6 or 7 "stealing prosthetic legs/wheelchairs" stories in the past like 3 months. It's a pandemic.

les enfants Terrific!
Dec 12, 2008

DrNut posted:

Can we talk about the fruit tree situation? I will never jeopardize the fruit tree.

Content:

Son found one just like dear old ma.

There's no way he could have known his wife was lying either. The difference is she lied because she's terrified of doing this. His mom lied because she wants attention. The fact that husband doesn't understand that is concerning.

She definitely should have told him "it was just braxton hicks" to cover her rear end but like someone else said I can't imagine her mind was in a clear place after realizing she was right about one of her worst case scenarios.

mystes
May 31, 2006

I honestly don't know what the right solution is there. I think lying to her husband about something like that is not great but it's kind of understandable given the circumstances.

Crocobile
Dec 2, 2006

AITAH for breaking up with my fiancée after hearing her bullying my ex gf?

quote:

We (m33, f28) have been together 3 years. Engaged for 1. Before her I dated Sarah(f34). We are all acquaintances and while we don’t hang out with Sarah, occasionally we run into her. While my break up with Sarah wasn’t amicable, we are very cordial now. We don’t talk. But my fiancée didn’t keep it this way did she?

We were at house warming party and Sarah was there which set my fiancée on edge and I noticed that but I didn’t say anything because she’s an adult. Then I overheard her talking to Sarah and some other girls. My fiancée was laughing and telling Sarah omg you are so fat now. It made me ick. When Sarah left I asked my fiancée wtf? She laughed and said it was nothing Sarah did look like she gained weight. She left to get more wine and one other friend told me that my fiancée always bullied Sarah.

I don’t want to be married to a bully I tried talking and discussing why it wasn’t ok with my fiancée but she was brushing it off not seeing any problems. I broke up with her. She started crying and begging but I said it was over. I don’t want to be married to a bully. She called me the AH and that I chose Sarah over her, my fiancée. Now everyone is calling me AH.

The only reason I can think of to why she calls me the AH is that my fiancée liked me way before we got together. Even before I got together with Sarah. So maybe it was personal for her given the new information that my fiancée never liked Sarah (and I got together with her)

Edit: I want to apologize for using “ick” as a 33 year old man. Many are disturbed by it LOL, sorry guys

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Dear Bargained,

These photos and notes are what's known as "environmental storytelling". My advice is to always carry a lot of ammo and health packs and be sure to save often.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
by moving the skull you have broken your grandfather's wards :ohdear:

Biplane
Jul 18, 2005

haveblue posted:

by moving the skull you have broken your grandfather's wards :ohdear:

OP should prepare for beastmen raids.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Biplane posted:

OP should prepare for beastmen raids.

Oh, I hate getting killed by the ducks after this chain.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

He should tell the family about the skull. If his grandfather had some kind of mental illness that led to a fascination in death, that could be genetic so people in the family should know about it. Tell a psychologist about it.

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Oh, I hate getting killed by the ducks after this chain.

Op should have known not to gently caress with the ducks, rip

idiotsavant
Jun 4, 2000
He should buy a good set of calipers & take careful measurements of his grandfathers skull so he can find out if he comes from superior genetic stock

mystes
May 31, 2006

He should perform a magic ritual to bring the skull to life and ask it how it feels about the situation.

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

She shouldn't do anything with the skull until she finds the gold her grandfather gained in the ritual. Only by returning the treasures can she break the curse of the skull.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.
AITAH for eating noodles with my hand after wife's friend scoffed at me for using fork?

quote:

My (38M) wife's (33F) friend (33F) is back from abroad and their group decided to get together to meet her. They were going to bring their spouse for this dinner so wife asked me to join. She told me to behave and I did. Her friend had fake accent which I didn't mock. She was brand addict, show off and another typical foreign return. I didn't say anything to her.

We hadmet at a chinese restaurant where we often go. I asked waiter to get me a fork and he did. This is when I noticed her friend was looking at me as if I committed some sin. When I started eating with fork she said to my wife that we could have gone to some other restaurants if there was a problem. She was trying to make fun of me for not being able to use chopsticks. So I kept th fork aside and dig in with myhands and everyone but my wife and friend on the table started laughing. I didn't think of it more than asa joke at the time.

When we came home my wife was visibly pissed. I asked her if I did anything and she said I embarassed her infront of her friend and her spouse. Now she is not talking to me since then.

Look, is the friend maybe a little rude or pretentious? Perhaps. But I hardly think your first instinct after being criticized for not using chopsticks should be to dig in like a literal baby.

I think this comment has it spot-on:

quote:

I'm going to read between the lines a bit here. Your wife asked you to behave, which can only mean you act out publicly often. The fact the friend said 'if there was a problem' rather than something more snide makes me think you potentially made a deal about asking for a fork.

Then when you got home, you asked what you did despite knowing full well what you had done.

This story is biased from your perspective, so I reckon the truth of the matter is going to be somewhat different.

Has your wife ever used the term 'exhausting' when arguing with you?

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
The gently caress's a "typical foreign return"?

quote:

She is people pleaser. Which makes me want to act more like this to balance things out.

ah, he is a reactive baby

Midnight Voyager fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Apr 4, 2024

mystes
May 31, 2006

Midnight Voyager posted:

The gently caress's a "typical foreign return"?
I think the OP is not a native English speaker but maybe they meant that the friend was living abroad and came back and is now acting snobbish

Edit: It may be Indian English since OP said he's Indian

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Apr 4, 2024

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

quote:

Her friend had fake accent which I didn't mock. She was brand addict, show off and another typical foreign return.

YTA before even getting to the fork part

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

mystes posted:

I think the OP is not a native English speaker but maybe they meant that the friend was living abroad and came back and is now acting snobbish

Edit: It may be Indian English since OP said he's Indian

Oh that makes sense. I thought it was some shithead term I hadn't encountered before.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Basically it seems like the complaint is something like this:

https://www.quora.com/Why-do-Indians-returning-from-the-US-start-talking-with-a-fake-American-accent

He seems to feel like she's being pretentious after living broad

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Hey, I didn't mock your friend! Give me some credit for not mocking people! That's a big ask for a sarcastic piece of poo poo like myself!

mystes
May 31, 2006

Honestly laughing at someone for asking for a fork rather than chopsticks seems pretty lovely to me. But the OP also sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

Midnight Voyager
Jul 2, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
OP's wife seems like an rear end in a top hat magnet

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

mystes posted:

Honestly laughing at someone for asking for a fork rather than chopsticks seems pretty lovely to me. But the OP also sounds like an rear end in a top hat.

That's total projection on his part, she just asked if there was a problem and if they should have gone to another restaurant

mystes
May 31, 2006

John Wick of Dogs posted:

That's total projection on his part, she just asked if there was a problem and if they should have gone to another restaurant
The way he describes it is that she gave him a weird look when he asked for a fork and then asked the wife if there was a problem in a way that seems to have been in response to him asking for a fork.

imo either
1) He was weird about how he asked for a fork (like he was intentionally acting like he didn't want to be in a Chinese restaurant)
2) He just asked for a fork normally and she was actually acting snobbish about it as he described, or
3) The way he told the story was so inaccurate it's not worth trying to make sense of it

I don't think it's really possible to distinguish between 1 and 2 just by reading his post, so I don't think it's possible to say whether it's projection or not, but if the sequence of events is anything like what he described it doesn't sound like the question about whether they should have gone to another restaurant was intended neutrally. That's not usually something you would say when someone has just started to eat their food unless there is some specific issue.

mystes fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

It's kind of a dick move to ask if there is a problem when the problem has been resolved already (he received the utensil he can work with, problem solved). But that being said, op is a being a stupid piss baby about the friend.