Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: harrygomm, Astryl)

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
Minion necro feels ridiculous on the PTR.

Just facerolled the WT2 capstone at level 30, but feels like I could have done it sooner. The minions fully carried me and rarely felt in danger of dying until the second half of the dungeon. That's when I switched out the shadowblight stuff for more defenses. Realized later that probably wasn't necessary. I had forgotten about the defender buffs (taunt, invulnerability). That came in handy for the huge damage spike that comes in WT3. Killing speed was much slower. Shadow minions seems like the way to go, even with an unoptimized build. The new shadow-warriors codex and mage revamp just destroys everything.

That does bring up a question about the codex though. Will all characters now start with the lowest level codex powers unlocked, baseline? I boosted one of each class to 100 before leveling. I can't tell if that's what unlocked the codex stuff for me.

If not, the game should probably reconsider it. I suppose they could artificially gate certain codex powers behind character level to force a sense of progression or curb power levels. But codex powers are gated behind mats and crafting anyways. I think my issue is, some of the codex stuff feels more like a talent point that is necessary for your build to come online. As opposed to a piece of gear that enhances a build. If that makes sense?

Regardless, as leveling keeps getting streamlined it's going to feel more and more like a slog if I have to slow down to unlock codex powers from dungeons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anothergod
Apr 11, 2016

I was thinking about coming into this thread asking if this game was good yet, but... I guess what I'm really hoping is that dodgeroll is good now. Is it good? We dodgerolling now? Pretty sure all the ARPGs besides Diablo are making their dodgerolls good.

Bumhead
Sep 26, 2022

anothergod posted:

I was thinking about coming into this thread asking if this game was good yet

Also here for this. The itch is returning to click some demons.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE posted:

Minion necro feels ridiculous on the PTR.

Just facerolled the WT2 capstone at level 30, but feels like I could have done it sooner. The minions fully carried me and rarely felt in danger of dying until the second half of the dungeon. That's when I switched out the shadowblight stuff for more defenses. Realized later that probably wasn't necessary. I had forgotten about the defender buffs (taunt, invulnerability). That came in handy for the huge damage spike that comes in WT3. Killing speed was much slower. Shadow minions seems like the way to go, even with an unoptimized build. The new shadow-warriors codex and mage revamp just destroys everything.

That does bring up a question about the codex though. Will all characters now start with the lowest level codex powers unlocked, baseline? I boosted one of each class to 100 before leveling. I can't tell if that's what unlocked the codex stuff for me.

If not, the game should probably reconsider it. I suppose they could artificially gate certain codex powers behind character level to force a sense of progression or curb power levels. But codex powers are gated behind mats and crafting anyways. I think my issue is, some of the codex stuff feels more like a talent point that is necessary for your build to come online. As opposed to a piece of gear that enhances a build. If that makes sense?

Regardless, as leveling keeps getting streamlined it's going to feel more and more like a slog if I have to slow down to unlock codex powers from dungeons.

minion necro is always a trap you just haven't sprung it yet

Field Mousepad
Mar 21, 2010
BAE

KajiTheMelonMan posted:

"We actually get to go outside a town in D2? Blizzard you have ruined this game! And there's loving sunlight?!?! THINK OF THE THEMATIC REPERCUSSIONS DEAR SIR"

They did the same thing with D3, people were losing their poo poo because there were some bright colors.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

anothergod posted:

I was thinking about coming into this thread asking if this game was good yet, but... I guess what I'm really hoping is that dodgeroll is good now. Is it good? We dodgerolling now? Pretty sure all the ARPGs besides Diablo are making their dodgerolls good.
It was briefly good last season when you could turn into a bat, mark everything you phased through as vulnerable / afraid of you / damaged over time and also refil your ultimate. No idea if it's fun this season.

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

Field Mousepad posted:

They did the same thing with D3, people were losing their poo poo because there were some bright colors.

???

people were losing their poo poo because d3 went blizzard house style and really suffers for it. Its a really awful looking game and not because of the colours

like d3 eventually became a much better game but the style could never be replaced. They did do a lot with RoS, and the new act is much better visually especially the high heaven

its still jarring to go back to d3 because it is so maximalist and yet I still played a ton of that garbage after RoS dropped

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Maybe that was your reaction but the popular criticism was indeed it was too colorful

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."

victrix posted:

https://twitter.com/Rob_2628/status/1775513830879052177?t=6XoI1Dxsq9D6ZRjmwIQS_w&s=19

was waiting for this, I hope all the secondary damage effects on every class are broken as poo poo

arpg gamers just want one thing and it's loving disgusting

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

I remember people posting screen shots of A Rainbow?!!!?!?! In MY Dibblers3??!_!

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

yeah it was very specifically the colors. I was there, 3000 years ago

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
D3 still looks great.

OctaMurk
Jun 21, 2013
Diablo 4 for all its faults, looks great AND they nailed the atmosphere imo

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Based: Red, red and red, and fire, and red
Gaysed: Blue, rainbows, green, birds

Kaysette
Jan 5, 2009

~*Boston makes me*~
~*feel good*~

:wrongcity:

Bisse posted:

I remember people posting screen shots of A Rainbow?!!!?!?! In MY Dibblers3??!_!

Yup, people were frothing at the mouth that it wasn't all grey and very dark grey. Those complaints led directly to them making Whimsyshire iirc

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

I really enjoyed the weird layouts they put in later with strange time bubbles with different layouts in each one. Forget the map name.

Mind over Matter
Jun 1, 2007
Four to a dollar.

External Organs posted:

D3 still looks great.

Yeah. I honestly loved them using more of the Blizzard house style for D3. Wish they had in D4 too, but it's still a fun game even if I don't like how it looks as much.

Bobby Deluxe posted:

It was briefly good last season when you could turn into a bat, mark everything you phased through as vulnerable / afraid of you / damaged over time and also refil your ultimate. No idea if it's fun this season.

Robot friend is personally my favorite season yet. Vamp powers were okay but I enjoy having this thing following me around buffing me or giving me infinite resource or whatever the gently caress else I set it up to do. I'm a sucker for pets and companions, though. Looking forward to minion buffs next season even if they'll probably get toned down from PTR.

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

d3 looks like poo poo and always has. people were right to complain

sure okay
Apr 7, 2006

Bisse posted:

this old chestnut (not mine. I love rainbows, obviously)

An Actual Princess
Dec 23, 2006

wow, gayness

SPIRIT HALLOWEEN SALE
Nov 5, 2017
D3's goofy "hyper fantasy" or w/e swords and armor were worse offenders than the rainbows

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Field Mousepad posted:

they were right. d3 is ugly as sin

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Mind over Matter posted:

Robot friend is personally my favorite season yet. Vamp powers were okay but I enjoy having this thing following me around buffing me or giving me infinite resource or whatever the gently caress else I set it up to do. I'm a sucker for pets and companions, though. Looking forward to minion buffs next season even if they'll probably get toned down from PTR.
For context for people curious about "is game gud/was S3 good": I personally hate the robot friend with a passion and pray they never try to force skills/abilities/powers behind minions/followers ever again. I also found the seasonal quest line to be tedious and boring. S2 was much, much better in every way.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

An Actual Princess posted:

Yeah it’s awful even though I don’t agree that colors are the issue

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Yeah. The color was the least bad thing about the graphics in that game. I enjoyed playing it but I always thought everything outside of the attack effects looked terrible. I still maintain that Wizard > Sorcerer/ess, though. Once you get a deathray it's hard to go back to fireballs and lightning bolts and ice... things.

Lord Packinham
Dec 30, 2006
:<
D3 looks good on a technical level, but just completely misses the tone and atmosphere. A couple places hit it but for the most part it’s a big miss.

The scooby-doo villains are so bad.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

D3 still looks great to me. The painterly backgrounds are really well-done and every class has so much character in their animations and particle effects. It's one of the few 10+ year old games I can stand to look at.

Paying2Lurk
Sep 15, 2023

I'd take a bullet
for a bud any day.

An Actual Princess posted:

Wrex Ruckus
Aug 24, 2015

I just can't stand the WoW aesthetic. I prefer the look of D4 even if it is more generic.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Wrex Ruckus posted:

I just can't stand the WoW aesthetic. I prefer the look of D4 even if it is more generic.
Its this.

chami
Mar 28, 2011

Keep it classy, boys~
Fun Shoe
D4 spell effects are boring compared to D3; nothing really like a monk with the seven-sided-strike set or a Wizard’s anything in D4.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

if you're gonna go cartoony, go full cartoony like Torchlight

I don't really like the look of grim dawn either, which is a shame because Victorian stuff could be cool

Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 29 hours!

Wrex Ruckus posted:

d3 is more generic, it looks like every blizzard and blizzard rip off game ever made. d4 looks like a diablo game

Cerepol
Dec 2, 2011

i mean once again this is just blizzard being fairly bad at understanding the aesthetic vibe from d1->d2 that solidified its popularity at the time.

its literally just that the blizz house style doesn't give the right vibes for diablo, Diablo has been dark gothic fantasy (with the fantastic claymation style) compared to Warcrafts more maximal, true fantasy look. D3 is just a messy amalgamation that doesn't work for me at all.
It seems to have been due to A) blizz north being dead for D3s development. B) the frankly still ludicrous popularity of WoW at the time and them trying to entice that crowd into Diablo

Bringing back and making monk good after the mess that was the hellfire monk was a great choice and it was my favourite class.
When D3 did do something unique in Act 5 it was way better. They really hosed up basically following the D2 structure for act environments because it doesn't compare well.
Then they tried to course correct D4 to a more Gothic look but still thought the issue was the vibrancy and effects or something?

D4 has a better base look but could still use some creativity in the skills effects, hopefully the expac will be better

Cerepol fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Apr 4, 2024

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Here's a hot take of mine: I never liked the whirlwind effect on the Barbarian skill so I never used it - just looks silly to me. Back in Diablo 2 times, I thought it was going to be a whirlwind of attacks not, you know, actually spinning around with your arms out like a child would do in a pretend fight.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Cerepol posted:

D4 has a better base look but could still use some creativity in the skills effects, hopefully the expac will be better
Part of the S4 patch will be having more skill points in a skill make the visuals more exciting.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

(Those were supposed to be in the launch version and were advertised for the launch )

bio347
Oct 29, 2012
The skill point visual thing does actually currently exist, but I believe the gate for getting upgraded visuals is like 10 points in the skill. It's easy to see with sorc fire skills, because they get blue flame touches when it happens.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

euphronius posted:

(Those were supposed to be in the launch version and were advertised for the launch )
lol, yeah, and we apparently bugged a bunch and could be seen if you like got on your horse, adjusted your skill point allocation, then got off the horse? Or something weird like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?

Jimbot posted:

Here's a hot take of mine: I never liked the whirlwind effect on the Barbarian skill so I never used it - just looks silly to me. Back in Diablo 2 times, I thought it was going to be a whirlwind of attacks not, you know, actually spinning around with your arms out like a child would do in a pretend fight.

This is the best part of whirlwind and I hate that the D4 whirlwind is "realistically" slow and weighty or some poo poo, with how fast early fury burns out it's like my barb does a 720 and fat guy wheezes, out of breath. Gimme the whirling dervish pretend fight poo poo!

bio347 posted:

The skill point visual thing does actually currently exist, but I believe the gate for getting upgraded visuals is like 10 points in the skill. It's easy to see with sorc fire skills, because they get blue flame touches when it happens.

lol no way, how many players have never seen that? I know I haven't. You should see your Big Attack get Bigger from 1-2-3-4-5 or 1-3-5, then maybe 5-10 or 6-9-12-etc. It's so easy to never get a skill above a 9 without specific gear, I think my best was Rupture 11 in S1 as a contrarian bleed barb with the unique that gives rupture +4-5.