Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Join The Helldivers!
Freedom!
Democracy!
Liber-tea!
Call for reinforcements!
View Results

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

The bolt action exploding rifle can close bugholes and kill factories, same with the pistol

\o/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Maybe this guy that flies is just sort of passing through, you know?

Parkingtigers posted:

New warbond on the 11th.

quote:

R-36 Eruptor Rifle
Keep your distance… this bolt-action rifle fires jet-assisted shells that explode shrapnel in all directions upon impact. All directions. Even your face.

*pounding the table democratically*

Gyro-JET! Gyro-JET!

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

I'm still trying to get through the free warbond. :negative:

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

So I tried the laser pistol and... I actually really like it? Maybe it's because that's not my "Oh poo poo" weapon slot which is what a lot of people seem to use the sidearm for. I like having it more for finishing off simple stragglers so I don't have to burn ammo from my Scorcher or AC and it works perfectly for that. I also finished off a Hulk with it when I ran out of ammo on a eradicate mission (I don't plan on living long on those), which was extremely funny and probably an insult to the Hulk.

For oh poo poo moments I find dive away>stim (if damaged)>blast threat with primary weapon to be the best bet. Even with the Sickle, if you hold the trigger while you dive it'll start the spin-up so by the time you land and aim it will be firing.

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I'll be running grenade pistol with stun grenades now lol

Edit 2: Oh sweet liber-tea a sticky thermite grenade. Decisions, decisions

Hakarne fucked around with this message at 17:17 on Apr 4, 2024

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Oh, intriguing...

quote:

Expert Extraction Pilot Booster
Need to get out of a jam fast? This booster lowers the time it takes for the extraction shuttle to reach the extraction beacon. Home in time for dinner.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Internet Explorer posted:

Hey at least you can work through them all at your pace. I'm so glad they don't try to instrumentalize FOMO. I feel like Sony mandated "live service, premium currency, season pass" and Arrowhead implemented it in the most player-friendly way they could get away with.

You can literally grind difficulty 1 or 2 missions (eventually) get enough SC for a warbond without any cap on how many you can get through play.

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g122XN-DQoY

Internet Explorer
Jun 1, 2005

Yeah, it's very nice they're not timed. I still can't keep up!

And yeah I'm not grinding missions for SC. I'd just pay the $10 or whatever if I cared that much.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot
What if the most meta weapon is always in the least bought warbond and there's a cycle of nerfing it before the next warbond drops. :tinfoil:

Parkingtigers
Feb 23, 2008
TARGET CONSUMER
LOVES EVERY FUCKING GAME EVER MADE. EVER.

slicing up eyeballs posted:

Jesus are your numerical designations on planet decided by what helltube you use lol, it never occurred to me. anyways the second from the left is the most democratic everyone knows that

Always pod two, given a choice. Of course you enter from the left, but you need one of the inner pods because you have to check out the view tactical situation from the window before climbing in.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

ooh this the one that has my Space G3 or Space FAL?

Will probably be very bad but I don't care, will use.

thotsky posted:

What if the most meta weapon is always in the least bought warbond and there's a cycle of nerfing it before the next warbond drops. :tinfoil:

still a better live service monetization than all the others

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

it'll be interesting to see if the thermite grenade can actually pop chargers and hulks

i feel like that would free up some options for support weapons

BitBasher
Jun 6, 2004

You've got to know the rules before you can break 'em. Otherwise, it's no fun.

Internet Explorer posted:

You just have a wealth of good choices to look forward to when you finish! That's not a bad thing!

Hakarne posted:

Edit: Nevermind, looks like I'll be running grenade pistol with stun grenades now lol
Absolutely right there with you. This is pretty much exactly what I wanted from a sidearm, crazy amounts of utility on the table here!

A sidearm that can close bug holes and kill factories opens up a lot of options for primary and support while still keeping a rounded loadout

BitBasher fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Apr 4, 2024

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

I think a good place to be would be a push-pull between primaries, secondaries and support where you need to cover your ability to quickly take down dross swarms with volume of fire or be able to credibly take on elites/heavies with big boolets and either slot can do both depending on pick. If you really want to do squad specialization you can have one guy load up as "heavy" and make sure another takes a stalwart or whatever to scratch his back.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Autocannon can do all those things though.

Also, the standard guard dog with the supply pack change is amazing. You can generally keep it filled with ammo and it shreds without killing yourself or teammates constantly.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
I'm not sure what niche that bolt-action explosive rifle is supposed to fill compared to the AMR and Autocannon, but it sure looks rad as all hell.

EDIT: Oh yeah, probably the niche of having an explosive weapon in the primary slot, durrrrr.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

BadLlama posted:

Please do not tell them how good the AC or Quasar are.

(actually they play the game a fair bit it sounds like so they know.)

haddedam
Feb 19, 2024

by Fluffdaddy
Quasar is pretty bag, tons of drawbacks for a disposable LAT.

I had fun with a shield and smg.

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

AC is perfectly balanced how they want it. It's great at a bunch of things but not the best at any of them, and needs a backpack slot.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

WoodrowSkillson posted:

AC is perfectly balanced how they want it. It's great at a bunch of things but not the best at any of them, and needs a backpack slot.

Yeah the backpack slot is huge. Losing my deflector shields is major, esp. because i like to run scout armor for the traversal and mobility.

This thread moves fast so someone probably already said but two cool quasar tricks I've found:

You probably already know just from playing but a nice thing about the charge up time vs. bots is when 2 or more dropships come in, there's time to acquire the other one if an ally knocks down the one you were aiming at first.

The (literal) cooldown is by Quasar, not by character, so if you have another one on the ground nearby you can juggle them to increase your ROF.

Hakarne
Jul 23, 2007
Vivo en el autobús!

BadLlama posted:

I love the autocannon, it's probably my favorite weapon overall. However, sometimes I like to use something besides the AC because the other weapons are fun and good too. It's nice to have options for flexibility in loadouts.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

WoodrowSkillson posted:

Yeah I'm an AC main, but I rely so much on my teammates for chargers and bile titans.

Also I run away a lot.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

it'll be interesting to see if the thermite grenade can actually pop chargers and hulks

i feel like that would free up some options for support weapons

There was a leak video a while back that showed the thermite grenade could kill a hulk with two grenades, unknown about chargers

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Really wish they had an explosive assault rifle (NOT THE CONCUSSIVE LIBERATOR) so I can pretend it's a bolter from 40k

DeadFatDuckFat
Oct 29, 2012

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

So are all the new armors gonna just be explosive resist?

Legit Businessman
Sep 2, 2007

DeadFatDuckFat posted:

So are all the new armors gonna just be explosive resist?

Judging by the letter designators, it's two engineering kit armors (light/med) and one fortified (heavy).

Although some armors don't follow naming conventions, most of them do!

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

The autocannon isn't very good for bringing down dropships, but also it doesn't matter.

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013

Counterpoint: Bringing down dropships is cool and cinematic, and the whole squad bringing down 2-3 at once is tremendously satisfying.

novaSphere
Jan 25, 2003

Hakarne posted:

So I tried the laser pistol and... I actually really like it?

It's legit pretty good against Bots: it instantly detonates Assault trooper jetpacks and the Marauder/MG Raider troopers with two red prongs sticking out their back. You can even blow out Devastator heads with it but you better have range or a riot shield.

It's a fine sidegrade.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
okay I think I figured out what I was missing on the Spear. So there's the triangle and the dot. Your job is to put the dot in the triangle. the triangle, best I can tell, looks for a specific part on the enemy and I think at least some jankiness is either a) two enemies close to each other so the spear keeps flipping back and forth or b) the specific part is moving back and forth and you gotta jiggle with it. You also can't be too close.

but goddamn once you work with it it's so nice

Janissary Hop
Sep 2, 2012

Lobok posted:

Oh, intriguing...

If it’s like the respawn reduction it’s just going to be 10% off and not very helpful.

Ouroboros
Apr 23, 2011

Arglebargle III posted:

The autocannon isn't very good for bringing down dropships, but also it doesn't matter.

It is however pretty good for murdering everything inside the dropship before they actually drop, which is arguably more consistent than just downing the dropship given the passengers usually survive.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

jokes posted:

Really wish they had an explosive assault rifle (NOT THE CONCUSSIVE LIBERATOR) so I can pretend it's a bolter from 40k

You are looking for the dominator. It technically shoots rocket propelled explosive rounds that explode after embedding themselves into the target, so bolter.

A LOVELY LAD
Feb 8, 2006

Hey man, wanna hear a secret?

College Slice
Am I doing something wrong or are other people not getting a "objective complete" message + the medals for the major orders? I will generally do missions on the planets featured in said major orders.

Cognac McCarthy
Oct 5, 2008

It's a man's game, but boys will play

BadLlama posted:

Also, the standard guard dog with the supply pack change is amazing. You can generally keep it filled with ammo and it shreds without killing yourself or teammates constantly.

What did they change about the guard dog? I've only ever used the rover and I almost always take it vs. bugs, but I've been getting a little annoyed by the friendly damage in higher difficulty missions, where the margin for error is so much slimmer.

BadLlama
Jan 13, 2006

Cognac McCarthy posted:

What did they change about the guard dog? I've only ever used the rover and I almost always take it vs. bugs, but I've been getting a little annoyed by the friendly damage in higher difficulty missions, where the margin for error is so much slimmer.

It fully tops up off supply drops now (Used to only fill by 50% off a supply drop), so if your team is religious about calling down supply drops you can keep it feed with ammo. That was really its only problem. If they let you get 50% ammo off world ammo it would be absolutely S tier over the laser dog since it isn't killing yourself or your teammates.

Still wish we could Stow either guard dog by hitting 5, and only release it when we want to.

Ulio
Feb 17, 2011

Owlbear Camus posted:

Please do not tell them how good the AC or Quasar are.

(actually they play the game a fair bit it sounds like so they know.)

Quasar its pretty known no? The subreddit was saying how op it is and every game on 8-9 diff I see people with it.

AC is still like a hidden gem though, you can wreck with it especially with strategem restrictions.

ZearothK
Aug 25, 2008

I've lost twice, I've failed twice and I've gotten two dishonorable mentions within 7 weeks. But I keep coming back. I am The Trooper!

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2021

A LOVELY LAD posted:

Am I doing something wrong or are other people not getting a "objective complete" message + the medals for the major orders? I will generally do missions on the planets featured in said major orders.

Haven't gotten it for the Creek Liberation or the defense ops, in theory they should arrive... Eventually. Command posted on the Discord about it.

Sgt. Cosgrove
Mar 16, 2007

How about I bend your body into funny balloon animal shapes?

They could nerf AC into the dirt and I would still bring it every mission purely for the KA-CHUNK / BOOM noises it makes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

A LOVELY LAD posted:

yeah i haven't got anything for the last couple of orders, it's definitely a little broken at the moment