Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

Speaking of 30fps games, Starfield is almost 50% off for Canadians wanting a disc copy (it's $50cad right now on Amazon, down from $90cad).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

John F Bennett posted:

I even deliberately put games on 30fps at times. Like Cyberpunk, it plays much nicer at 30.

The only game I play on high framerate is Halo at 120fps.
What do you mean it plays nicer? By definition it has more input lag, even if you don't mind the visual framerate.

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I had an N64 back in the day. :colbert:

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Nowadays most games I just try to play on PC. I have a RTX 4070Ti, it blows current gen consoles out of the water. So I don't have a reason to pick a console version of a game unless it has a smooth 60fps mode.

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

30 FPS looks bad on OLED. it's choppy as poo poo whenever you pan the camera.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
sounds like an OLED problem then

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!
lol @ everyone arguing over 30/60/120 Frames per second. It just shows how fundamentally different consoles are from PCs.

The real problem is input latency or how often your movement is updated. PC gamers don't understand because the vast majority of PC game engines read user input per render frame, while consoles have a separate input loop, independent of frame rate. This is why console players and PC players always butt heads; they are comparing two very different things without understanding WHY they are different.

to be clear, PC games NEED to have a higher frame rate because that is how input is updated, while frame rate can be way more flexible on a console because the input is on a completely different thread.

e:to be even clearer, PC's brute force user input, but console developers had to come up with a more flexible and elegant solution.

tango alpha delta fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Apr 4, 2024

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

The real problem is using motion blur properly at 30fps. Rockstar understand this. Many do not.

Barry Convex
Sep 1, 2005

Think of the good things, Pim! The good things!

Like Jesus, candy, and crackerjacks! Ice cream and cake and lots o'laffs!
Grandma, Grandpa, and Uncle Joe! Larry, Curly, and brother Moe!
crossposted from the genchat thread: started playing Lil Gator Game last night now that it's on Game Pass and man, that game is ridiculously charming and fun. if you're not familiar with it, it's a small, relaxing open-world platforming/exploration game in the vein of A Short Hike, but you're playing as a child alligator pretending to be Link in BOTW and have BOTW-inspired traversal tools like a shield you can surf downhill on, climbing with an upgradeable stamina meter, and a glider

tango alpha delta
Sep 9, 2011

Ask me about my wealthy lifestyle and passive income! I love bragging about my wealth to my lessers! My opinions are more valid because I have more money than you! Stealing the fruits of the labor of the working class is okay, so long as you don't do it using crypto. More money = better than!

Quantum of Phallus posted:

The real problem is using motion blur properly at 30fps. Rockstar understand this. Many do not.

That's part of the solution, but I stand behind the fact that the quicker your onscreen avatar reacts, lower frame rates are going to be way less obvious.

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
There is now an AetherSX2 UWP for dev mode. Also a new Duckstation UWP.

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus
On the subject of Xbox/PC I have to say MS is currently in a great spot with PC gaming. Maybe it's because of our kind of household (we're DINKs and have multiple consoles and gaming PCs) and we have a series x set up as home consoles and I mostly game on my PC. So Mrs Beetus primarily games on the x and it rules because she can have full access to game pass and online play and I can play on PC with no issues (and continue to be a framerate snob), and we can even play games together because she's not booted out or anything or doesn't have to be signed in as me. And now they've also pushed cross play to the point where we can play sea of thieves with friends who have the game on steam and we can all chat natively on discord. It rules. She also loves game pass and plays all kinds of weird little indie titles so GPU has been a pretty solid value add for our household.

It's like they say, Xbox stays winning

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Midnight Pooptrain posted:

There is now an AetherSX2 UWP for dev mode.

What’s that

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

PS2 emulator that is updated more than XBSX2, the other PS2 emulator.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

tango alpha delta posted:

lol @ everyone arguing over 30/60/120 Frames per second. It just shows how fundamentally different consoles are from PCs.

The real problem is input latency or how often your movement is updated. PC gamers don't understand because the vast majority of PC game engines read user input per render frame, while consoles have a separate input loop, independent of frame rate. This is why console players and PC players always butt heads; they are comparing two very different things without understanding WHY they are different.

to be clear, PC games NEED to have a higher frame rate because that is how input is updated, while frame rate can be way more flexible on a console because the input is on a completely different thread.

e:to be even clearer, PC's brute force user input, but console developers had to come up with a more flexible and elegant solution.
None of this is true

John F Bennett
Jan 30, 2013

I always wear my wedding ring. It's my trademark.

Volte posted:

What do you mean it plays nicer? By definition it has more input lag, even if you don't mind the visual framerate.

I wouldn't notice it much, but I have discovered that I play games differently than most. I like to turn off combat or use the lowest difficulty if I can't turn it off, and play it as a walking sim. So it makes sense to have it on the highest fidelity.

I wish all games were walking sims.

RenegadeStyle1
Jun 7, 2005

Baby Come Back
60 FPS viewer: The Emporer is wearing clothes!

1glitch0
Sep 4, 2018

I DON'T GIVE A CRAP WHAT SHE BELIEVES THE HARRY POTTER BOOKS CHANGED MY LIFE #HUFFLEPUFF

Volte posted:

30 fps is essentially unplayable on a 120Hz+ display for me. I see it as a fast moving slideshow and I get a headache real quick because my eyes keep focusing and unfocusing. It wasn't that way on older displays with slower response times. I used to gladly lock the fps to 30 fps if I wasn't getting a solid 60, now I need a minimum of like 40 fps before I can really see it as fluid motion.

Sorry your fancy rich man tv makes things shittier to watch.

Haptical Sales Slut
Mar 15, 2010

Age 18 to 49

tango alpha delta posted:

30fps is poo poo regardless of where it’s coming from.

People can put up with it with rockstar and Zelda games cause the game is good and there’s no way around it.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

webmeister posted:

iirc the world stops scaling at level 50, and you’re stuck on world tiers 1 and 2 unless you finished the campaign (or skipped it). So finishing up the campaign at level 50+ means you get the vastly overlevelled feeling

Also it’s an extreme lol that the biggest bundle of ingame currency is literally 200 dollarydos, double the price of the actual game, and is also labelled with BEST VALUE

Huh, so if I do every sidequest and somehow manage to go beyond level 50 before finishing the campaign, then I can wreck the enemy mobs finally? Is that how it's supposed to work now? Or am I going to Tier III difficulty and repeat

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Haptical Sales Slut posted:

30fps is poo poo regardless of where it’s coming from.

People can put up with it with rockstar and Zelda games cause the game is good and there’s no way around it.

I swear Nintendo really does have some secret sauce that makes Zelda feel better than your average 30 FPS game though

acksplode
May 17, 2004

AndrewP posted:

I swear Nintendo really does have some secret sauce that makes Zelda feel better than your average 30 FPS game though

Double buffering

External Organs
Mar 3, 2006

One time i prank called a bear buildin workshop and said I wanted my mamaws ashes put in a teddy from where she loved them things so well... The woman on the phone did not skip a beat. She just said, "Brang her on down here. We've did it before."
Something about Frame Pacing whatever the gently caress that is

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

External Organs posted:

capcom sure doesn't know

otter
Jul 23, 2007

Ask me about my XCOM and controller collection

word.

AndrewP posted:

The residual memory of being 7 years old, putting that gold cartridge into the deck, pressing the power button and getting hit by that bass-laden opening theme blaring through the speakers of the Curtis Mathes.

Storm One
Jan 12, 2011
lol

https://twitter.com/Theswweet/status/1775851197796319418

Zat
Jan 16, 2008

AndrewP posted:

It is the consistent frame pacing + double buffering. Double buffering keeps the input latency minimal although it also causes severe framerate drops anytime it can't hold a steady 30 fps. And the consistent frame pacing makes 30 fps look okay.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh

AndrewP posted:

It's because you're apparently playing on a pre-release Switch Pro that can actually maintain a solid 30 in either Zelda game

BonoMan
Feb 20, 2002

Jade Ear Joe

External Organs posted:

frame pacing is the new cable risers

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

dont care op

Wiltsghost
Mar 27, 2011

Apparently Gears 6 will be shown off this year, probably around the old E3 time. Should look really nice as it's a UE5 game.

Seltzer
Oct 11, 2012

Ask me about Game Pass: the Best Deal in Gaming!

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.
excuse me waiter these frames aren't paced

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I just play the videos games I don’t know about pacing the frames and wahtnot

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
Just play fun games you fuckin nerds

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

4A is still the GOAT somehow pulling off full ray traced global illumination while maintaining 60 FPS on Metro: Exodus for current gen consoles

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
Hellframe 2: Senua's Sega

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.

AndrewP posted:

4A is still the GOAT somehow pulling off full ray traced global illumination while maintaining 60 FPS on Metro: Exodus for current gen consoles

Might replay soon. Great game.

Charles Martel
Mar 7, 2007

"The Hero of the Age..."

The hero of all ages
https://x.com/Wario64/status/1775978031577723352

931 results to look through.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kri kri
Jul 18, 2007

Dont need a sale, I have GP thru 2026 or whatever