Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fast cars loose anus
Mar 2, 2007

Pillbug
Its telling that among the members of this group are a higher up from Syracuse and one from West Virginia, two schools that legitimately fear their position if conference realignment continues into a situation where two conferences with 30-40 teams dominate.

They want to lock that status in now, and who could blame them, but their system is totally unworkable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

General Dog posted:

A reorganization of the sport that extreme just seems like a gargantuan undertaking in terms of contractual untangling and negotiation that nobody will ultimately have the stomach for anytime soon; not when everyone is making so much money already.

That would less be a reorganization and more a reset, under one umbrella. If the seven permanent divisions resemble most of the traditional conferences, I would much prefer that than a future where you’re either in the Big Ten or SEC. For me, those aren’t traditional rivals or annual matchups, and might as well be the AFC and NFC. Regionality and the tradition are most important to college sports, and losing it is going to be a problem sooner than later.

Ideally, we reset back to ‘classic’ conferences and work from there, but that’s a pipe dream. This proposal gets close. Not perfect, but to me it’s in the right direction.

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

fast cars loose anus posted:

Its telling that among the members of this group are a higher up from Syracuse and one from West Virginia, two schools that legitimately fear their position if conference realignment continues into a situation where two conferences with 30-40 teams dominate.

They want to lock that status in now, and who could blame them, but their system is totally unworkable.

Yeah this is the losers trying to (publicly) get their act together and head off what they know the big ten and sec are probably discussing

The big ten and sec, of course, haven’t given this ‘college sports tomorrow’ group the time of day lol

JesustheDarkLord
May 22, 2006

#VolsDeep
Lipstick Apathy
Remember NFL Head Coach the video game? We need an NCAA admin sim game

drunk leprechaun
May 7, 2007
sobriety is for the weak and the stupid
Matt Brown from Extra Points has released a game where you're an ad. Athletic Director 3000 or something is the title. Never played so no idea if it's any good.

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
The perpetual members would be in seven 10-team divisions

Ah, so we've re-invented 7 reasonably sized conferences.

Sign me up.

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Qwijib0 posted:

The perpetual members would be in seven 10-team divisions

Ah, so we've re-invented 7 reasonably sized conferences.

Sign me up.

Lol, no kidding.

So 70 teams covers all the current P5 schools including the PAC-12. I wonder if all of them would get included in the never relegate divisions, or if they'd still put like Vandy, or Indiana or some teams like that in the bottom division. Also, I'm sure this will in no way gently caress up all of the other NCAA sports.

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Penn State will wind up in a division apart from the original Big Ten, and while I'd love to see more old school regional rivalry games, I don't want Penn State out of the Big Ten and into a semi-permanent division with Syracuse, Rutgers, Maryland, WVU, Boston College. That door closed 30 years ago. It would ostensibly kill Penn State's competitiveness in non-football sports. I don't want to say "non-revenue" because wrestling sells out every match, so it's probably a bigger revenue generator than basketball.

Komet fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Apr 4, 2024

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

glad we worked our ways backwards into the same conference system we had before, good job everyone

Komet
Apr 4, 2003

Can we just push a button and go back to 2001?

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Declan MacManus posted:

glad we worked our ways backwards into the same conference system we had before, good job everyone

If this is FBS bumblefucking its way to an FCS style play-off, it might be OK.

That or the new system is just the old system with a more prominent Habsburg Jaw.

Or both!

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

Komet posted:

Can we just push a button and go back to 2001?
as long as it's prior to september

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

JAY ZERO SUM GAME posted:

as long as it's prior to september

weird to want to re-live 9/11 but sure

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Maybe it's better the second time you watch it

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Gotta get in on those insurance company stock shorts.

Dirac Fourier
Aug 14, 2023
I really like the 80 team idea overall but I think it has some flaws.

1. Rewarding teams with revenue based on ratings seems like a good idea on the surface, but the current way that we consume content will not offer a fair opportunity for all members to maximize their ratings. Getting games on the broadcast networks guarantees huge ratings regardless of the team playing. Members will fight over access to the broadcast network games.

2. Conference composition will be an issue. For example, most models I've seen want to recreate the SWC as a division in the super league. Some members will inevitably be unhappy with the conference they land in, and what recourse will they have when that happens? I think there would need to be a process for altering conference membership.

3. 80 teams playing 9 conference games means we will have less matchups that drive value. I would decrease the conference size to allow members more flexibility with their non-conference schedules. If some blue bloods want to have some big games to drive up revenue, then they should be free to do that.

Neil Armbong
Jan 16, 2004

If anybody wants to see, there's a Donkey Kong kill screen coming up.
Pillbug
It seems like it's NFL and 'sports executives' lol -- networks? more NFL folks? and likely the presidents of universities outside of b1g and sec that will amount to nothing. just like the 'alliance.

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Neil Armbong posted:

It seems like it's NFL and 'sports executives' lol -- networks? more NFL folks? and likely the presidents of universities outside of b1g and sec that will amount to nothing. just like the 'alliance.

someone on twitter posited that it was a big swing by the acc to try and keep florida state and clemson from dumpstering the conference

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

we could change history

we could make sure the fourth plane hits congress

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
Get up.

the dumb college sports tomorrow group is all the people that would be left out of the real super conference trying to head it off

lmao, never gonna happen. lame that mandel and the athletic went along with being a mouthpiece

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

If we're going back in time for the sport I'll be happy to pop back to like 05/06/07 thanks.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Better to play it a bit safer, go back to 98 imo

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Let's go back to 1951 (for the following reason and no other) and prevent the Army football cheating scandal; the sport really hasn't really ever recovered from that.

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray

Neil Armbong posted:

It's a bunch of soccer people too. And I think maybe hockey? For some reason

Penisaurus Sex
Feb 3, 2009

asdfghjklpoiuyt

The Notorious ZSB posted:

If we're going back in time for the sport I'll be happy to pop back to like 05/06/07 thanks.

2003 was a really great season.

Spacemonkey57
Dec 1, 2004

Play posted:

It's a bunch of soccer people too. And I think maybe hockey? For some reason

When I think of well run pro sports I think of hockey.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
I'd even be happy for conferences just to look like they did in 2014.

It is going to be so sad to watch bowl season die over the course of the next few playoffs. I'm already missing the days of simply making a bowl being a good season.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Relegation and promotion are really good in general but any system that automatically protects certain teams is beyond pointless. If Bama without Saban magically go out and lose every game they play then open that trapdoor and say goodbye. In 1974 Manchester United got relegated just 6 years after winning the European Cup (aka the old version of the Champions League).

System only works if teams who suck get punished for sucking.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
If the overseas kickballers were to put their leagues together today they'd never allow for relegation; the idea that on the field actions would lead to actual financial consequences instead of the owners just banking their huge tv checks would be laughed out of every boardroom. poo poo, I still expect the Super League proposal over there to come up again and again and see just how long FIFA et al. have the werewithal to fight it off; hell FIFA probably just wants their piece of the pie and they'd gladly sign on.

One day I need to actually do my sim of what CFB would look like with an actual premiere league and promotion/relegation, but I'd rather smash my Fire Pro action figures together for now. I can barely handle one marathon project, much less two.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/RohanLawPC/status/1775943970192756780

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://x.com/mbakertbtimes/status/1775912859664347364?s=46&t=GxZoSKgPzb_-zyUnvLFKvg

Play
Apr 25, 2006

Strong stroll for a mangy stray
you have skippered me to my existential brink

is my new catchphrase

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

https://twitter.com/TheBearsBurner/status/1776012959598223579?ref_src=twsrc%=

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

1,000 years of Auburn dominance begins now

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

LeeMajors posted:

It’d be funniest if ACC just boots Clemson and FSU and the Big 2 says no to two squabbling bomb throwers who have a problem with contracts they willingly signed, so they just end up in the Big XII with smaller revenue shares.

But I’m not holding my breath.

Is it that crazy? ESPN will probably keep the purse string shut for the SEC and the Big Ten has only ever invited AAU schools

drewhead
Jun 22, 2002

Adun posted:

Is it that crazy? ESPN will probably keep the purse string shut for the SEC and the Big Ten has only ever invited AAU schools

You are seriously contending that FSU and Clemson are doing this in the dark? LOL!

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!

drewhead posted:

You are seriously contending that FSU and Clemson are doing this in the dark? LOL!

I fully believe that FSU and Clemson are showing up at the SEC's doorstep at 2am with a sleeping bag after receiving vague promises of "yeah we'll hang out sometime soon"

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Big10 for our noles, sorry. We've been gaming the academic rankings for the past 10 years way too hard to end up in the SEC

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 02:43 on Apr 6, 2024

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe

drewhead posted:

Given how long a court case will take both teams are almost certainly doing this in the dark, or the best case scenario on a wing, a prayer, and a wink-wink deal

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Big10 for our noles, sorry. We've been gaming the academic rankings for the past 10 years way too hard to end up in the SEC

lol