Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: PoundSand)

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Insanite posted:

neat.

https://www.clinicallyvulnerable.org/post/interview-maskdiscrimination

“I have had four interviews over the past week, and I now feel I should share my experience as a Clinically Vulnerable candidate wearing a mask to interviews in England”

love that my employer just contracted McKinsey to lay a bunch of us off.

Writing's been on the wall for years. People are going to be more heavily marginalized every day and the ideal end state is that the vulnerable just quietly die. It's no coincidence that MAID is becoming such an attractive policy option for neoliberal hellholes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
study came out saying pax doesn’t actually help

https://x.com/michael_hoerger/status/1775719281969201203?s=46

https://x.com/michael_hoerger/status/1775721122698289222?s=46

https://x.com/michael_hoerger/status/1775731256455520400?s=46

a lot of people in the replies poking holes in the study

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Steve Yun posted:

study came out saying pax doesn’t actually help

a lot of people in the replies poking holes in the study

Pretty weird that it's a pfizer study, and wasn't designed to measure much except for "how long until self-reported symptoms resolve". And wasn't really a blind study because people can obviously tell they aren't on the placebo because of the taste of the real thing.

(I guess they measured death as well, but they didn't have enough enrolled for that to be significant).

Pfizer is done with selling paxlovid?

Soap Scum
Aug 8, 2003

embarrassing for nejm lol they might as well publish a study saying insulin doesn't help with diabetes

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Pfizer is legendarily incompetent at designing studies.

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
I hope you all get hand foot mouth disease. I will not brook the mockery of handwashing, the number one method of stopping infectious disease spread.

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Asproigerosis posted:

I hope you all get hand foot mouth disease. I will not brook the mockery of handwashing, the number one method of stopping infectious disease spread.

i think you mean "natural immunity"

Asproigerosis
Mar 13, 2013

insufferable
Hybrid immunity will be key in stopping the avian flu... and the cow flu...

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Asproigerosis posted:

HFM is caused by an enterovirus. Those are spread on surfaces.

You may as well have wished AIDS upon us, for all the relevance that its epidemiology has to that of COVID‑19 or influenza.

corona familiar
Aug 13, 2021

Livo posted:

To add on the already good flight tips, if you not using a sip valve but it's a medium to long flight, try taking a Hydralite, pedialyte, whatever equivalent you can find, just before flying. It'll help keep you hydrated & your electrolytes up for a few hours. My mother took one before flying to England to see her family last year (22 hour flight from Australia!), so she she didn't have to drink as much as she normally does to keep hydrated. Apparently on both flights, people were constantly chugging down fluids & demanding more water non-stop from flight attendants, so anything to minimise mask removal is a good thing.

planes are dry as hell. something like 10-15% relative humidity? masks and respirators (even with exhale valves) are great for reducing moisture loss

Zugzwang
Jan 2, 2005

You have a kind of sick desperation in your laugh.

Ramrod XTreme
Thank you for counting to put these reports together :)

Joementum posted:

study…………………………………. thank you

https://x.com/myrabatchelder/status/1775640399622639869?s=46
But I thought kids were incapable of spreading one of the most contagious pathogens of all time...?

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
I just realized why mt vernons numbers are sky rocketing. Tulipfest is starting. Tons of people coming into a small town area to get those perfect photos.

Tzen
Sep 11, 2001

silicone thrills posted:

I just realized why mt vernons numbers are sky rocketing. Tulipfest is starting. Tons of people coming into a small town area to get those perfect photos.
yup that coupled with spring break for kids next week lol baby you got a superspreader event goin'

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Baddog posted:

Pretty weird that it's a pfizer study, and wasn't designed to measure much except for "how long until self-reported symptoms resolve". And wasn't really a blind study because people can obviously tell they aren't on the placebo because of the taste of the real thing.

(I guess they measured death as well, but they didn't have enough enrolled for that to be significant).

Pfizer is done with selling paxlovid?

I suppose it doesn't really matter whether the participants know it's a placebo, does it? Also, how widely known is pax mouth?

I don't know anything about science, but just reading through some of this study there are some things that really jump out.

quote:

Among the 1288 participants who received at least one dose of nirmatrelvir–ritonavir or placebo and had at least one postbaseline visit, the median time to sustained alleviation of all targeted Covid-19 signs or symptoms through day 28 was 12 days in the nirmatrelvir–ritonavir group and 13 days in the placebo group, a difference that was not significant (P=0.60)

This virus that takes slightly less than half of people two or more weeks to clear from their system? Mild, bro.

quote:

the number of participants with medical visits was lower in the nirmatrelvir–ritonavir group than in the placebo group (24 visits among 15 participants vs. 36 visits among 25 participants; least-squares mean ratio vs. placebo, 0.50; 95% CI, 0.22 to 1.13). In an assessment according to baseline risk, 6 Covid-19–related medical visits occurred among 6 high-risk participants in the nirmatrelvir–ritonavir group, as compared with 26 visits among 17 high-risk participants in the placebo group (least-squares mean ratio, 0.18; 95% CI, 0.06 to 0.56).
Among the 15 participants who were hospitalized, the mean number of days in the hospital per 100 participants was 5 in the nirmatrelvir–ritonavir group and 18 in the placebo group. The longest hospital stay was 9 days in the nirmatrelvir–ritonavir group and 32 days in the placebo group.

No idea how this means that pax does nothing for high-risk patients.

Also, they gave the pax patients the standard half-Fauci course, not the 10 day one.

NeonPunk
Dec 21, 2020

It's not suprising but man, there's already tons of folks saying they're just going to still eat their eggs over easy, steak rare, and say that there hasn't been any evidence that raw milk gives you bird flu so the risk is low.

Like we know there will always be folks like that but they just seem so proud of it

Insanite
Aug 30, 2005

NeonPunk posted:

It's not suprising but man, there's already tons of folks saying they're just going to still eat their eggs over easy, steak rare, and say that there hasn't been any evidence that raw milk gives you bird flu so the risk is low.

Like we know there will always be folks like that but they just seem so proud of it

"You gotta live your life."
--A dead seagull

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

NeonPunk posted:

everything is good except caring

empireofcrime
Nov 3, 2015

The crimes of this guilty land can never be purged away but with blood.
please don't take away my dairy
https://x.com/DrEricDing/status/1775888677064864188?s=20

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

time to start washing your milk

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

goddamnit :smith:

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

Whether it's sharing my kids with households that are completely unmasked, being gaslit by those in power about how everything's okay, or now loving avian flu potentially seeping in through our food, I'm starting to feel like the new normal is actually maybe the new not great

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I drink my milk with a mask on, viruses can’t get through N95 filter material

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

NeonPunk posted:

The biggest crime you can commit in America is to change your behavior as circumstances demand.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe
I’m going to enjoy the whiplash of people who are willing to isolate and wear a mask - taking very aggressive adaptations to an airborne hazard, but won’t cut dairy, eggs and meat to avoid a food-borne hazard.

this seems like a much less strenuous thing to me but what do I know.

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

What about evaporated milk? That stuff gets boiled for 10-15 minutes during production IIRC

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
Soiled Meat
someone suggested sticking with ultra pasteurized milk which goes above and beyond kill temps (280°F for two seconds)

Shiroc
May 16, 2009

Sorry I'm late

tuyop posted:

I’m going to enjoy the whiplash of people who are willing to isolate and wear a mask - taking very aggressive adaptations to an airborne hazard, but won’t cut dairy, eggs and meat to avoid a food-borne hazard.

People will absolutely hate the concept of even temporary vegan diets more than masks. It wouldn't even take the couple of weeks it took to get astroturfed anti-lockdown protests.

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Steely Dad posted:

Whether it's sharing my kids with households that are completely unmasked, being gaslit by those in power about how everything's okay, or now loving avian flu potentially seeping in through our food, I'm starting to feel like the new normal is actually maybe the new not great

weed has never been cheaper

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

tuyop posted:

real talk, can I just cook my eggs super well done? dairy and meat I can do. eggs. thats tough.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry

no lube so what posted:

real talk, can I just cook my eggs super well done? dairy and meat I can do. eggs. thats tough.

yah just cook em until the yolks and whites are both firm

a nice scramble is fine. don't even need to make it crispy although you should because the browned bits are the tasty ones

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steve Yun posted:

someone suggested sticking with ultra pasteurized milk which goes above and beyond kill temps (280°F for two seconds)

Yeah it looks like from the charts in the study ultra pasteurization should be fine

Steely Dad
Jul 29, 2006

no lube so what posted:

weed has never been cheaper

Weed just makes all my repressed trauma bubble up. I’ve had to raw dog the last five or so years of reality

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

Platystemon posted:

HFM is caused by an enterovirus. Those are spread on surfaces.

You may as well have wished AIDS upon us, for all the relevance that its epidemiology has to that of COVID‑19 or influenza.

it's cool how only one type of infection can happen at a time. convenient even!

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Steely Dad posted:

Weed just makes all my repressed trauma bubble up. I’ve had to raw dog the last five or so years of reality

hosed up

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
My lactose and egg intolerance coming in clutch in this world of horrors.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

DominoKitten posted:

Dairy cats getting H5N1 now too:

So the guy in Thailand died with no underlying health issues and the farm hand in Texas has an infection; seems like mammal to mammal spread is possible. From what little I've read, the fact that it's spread in the cattle industry so widely would imply it's pretty good at spreading between cows now

I guess in Thailand there was confirmed human to human spread in 2023 but none since

Global case fatality rate sits at 53% per Wikipedia

Mildly concerning

Edit: CDC: the sequenced strain from the guy in Texas had PB2 E627K "that is known to be associated with viral adaptation to mammalian hosts" :krakentoot:

Hadlock has issued a correction as of 19:23 on Apr 4, 2024

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I picked a good time to try nutritional yeast as a cheese topping

JAY ZERO SUM GAME
Oct 18, 2005

Walter.
I know you know how to do this.
Get up.

it's pretty good

Why Am I So Tired
Sep 28, 2021

Shiroc posted:

The malice and indifference of capital lowers all boats, but thankfully the poor continue to be the lowest and hey as long as you, the reader, are above them its fine.

tuyop posted:

everything is good except caring

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud posted:

The biggest crime you can commit in America is to change your behavior as circumstances demand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

no lube so what
Apr 11, 2021

Steely Dad posted:

ignore my joke, you are made of steel. sorry about the world.