Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

freeman
Aug 14, 2018
Venus possibly could have gotten Charlie out there if her reasoning wasn't so dumb. Doubt it mattered much for her game since she's an easy target for a unanimous boot next week. Just made her target even easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Finding somebody to vote off means you have to find an excuse to sell. It could really be anything. Stephanie from Cook Islands was booted for pining after mashed potatoes when we see contestants verbally fantasizing about food all the time.

I think the point is there's a deeper urge or unspoken reason to get rid of them, but they have to pin it on something that's acceptable to others.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Venus is smart and people don’t like her. To me that is an ideal #1 Survivor ally I guess other than someone who wins all the challenges but people hate.

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!
Venus has strong Erinn from Tocantins vibes.

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

Propaganda Machine posted:

Venus has strong Erinn from Tocantins vibes.

Erinn had a lot more charisma, which isn't saying much

freeman
Aug 14, 2018

Propaganda Machine posted:

Finding somebody to vote off means you have to find an excuse to sell. It could really be anything. Stephanie from Cook Islands was booted for pining after mashed potatoes when we see contestants verbally fantasizing about food all the time.

I think the point is there's a deeper urge or unspoken reason to get rid of them, but they have to pin it on something that's acceptable to others.

Could have just said because he's good at challenges which is true and a good selling point. Wanting to vote him off because he was the only man who was vulnerable is a really bad reason.

(assuming you were responding to me)

freeman fucked around with this message at 14:30 on Apr 4, 2024

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

that seemed real dumb, from the edit at least it looks like that sealed her fate
i feel like she was cooked going in and that was her hail mary. Sadly it seemed to really resonate with people, like Q was saying "why didn't you tell us this earlier???" because it was too late to change.

If she was targeted because orange hated Venus anyway but green was so kumbaya and tight they wanted to strike green... then if they'd known Moriah was concretely on the bottom there too they probably chop Venus for refusing to take orders while on the bottom.

i guess you need to be strong and united if you're going into a swap but going into a merge of three tribes it's not that helpful. Like if green refuses to give a name from green then the other two tribes gotta team up against green. So green kinda gives Moriah's name but even then is clearly protective of her -> she's gotta go, green wants to stick together. Seems like the only way through is to give Mo's name but be normal about it and then have Mo work closely with enough of the others and not rock the boat at all and hope they target someone else instead. In that case though Moriah has no reason to care about your tribe much anymore once you've put her in that spot.

Tika was helped by a swap that they didn't look like a tight 3 as everyone thought Carson was with them, Carolyn was isolated and unserious, etc so we've seen hiding your group is better. The Reba 4 even last season by sacrificing J Maya and Sifu were able to hide long-term... green trying to put the brakes on taking out any of their own really exposed Moriah--but in the end they voted for her so maybe they can integrate going forward, although Mo's reveal at TC burns them a bit

Fast Luck fucked around with this message at 16:27 on Apr 4, 2024

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

It's pretty cool for the 2nd week in a row they have run the same immunity challenge at the same episode as they did for season 45. Although they did at least switch the end puzzle to a different one...

wilderthanmild
Jun 21, 2010

Posting shit

Grimey Drawer

Fast Luck posted:

i feel like she was cooked going in and that was her hail mary. Sadly it seemed to really resonate with people, like Q was saying "why didn't you tell us this earlier???" because it was too late to change.

If she was targeted because orange hated Venus anyway but green was so kumbaya and tight they wanted to strike green... then if they'd known Moriah was concretely on the bottom there too they probably chop Venus for refusing to take orders while on the bottom.

Yeah, my take is that everyone was basically solid going into the vote and she didn't change anything with the truth, but if she'd been honest earlier, people who wanted Venus could have won the argument earlier.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

It's pretty cool for the 2nd week in a row they have run the same immunity challenge at the same episode as they did for season 45. Although they did at least switch the end puzzle to a different one...

Is this something that actually bothers people lol

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Yeah it sucks

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.
I’m the guy who just realized that the lady with the rainbow glasses and the lady on green who is some kind of internet marketing millionaire were not the same person.

Who’s the lady with rainbow glasses?

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nystral posted:

I’m the guy who just realized that the lady with the rainbow glasses and the lady on green who is some kind of internet marketing millionaire were not the same person.

Who’s the lady with rainbow glasses?
Rainbow glasses is the one who talks about how rich she is. That's one person

There are two people though, or were. This one who went home did not have rainbow glasses or millions of dollars to go home to. She's just a nerd who can't jump

Nystral
Feb 6, 2002

Every man likes a pretty girl with him at a skeleton dance.

Fast Luck posted:

Rainbow glasses is the one who talks about how rich she is. That's one person

There are two people though, or were. This one who went home did not have rainbow glasses or millions of dollars to go home to. She's just a nerd who can't jump

gently caress. So non-jumper green lady isn’t even rich? drat. But at least everyone spelled her name correctly!!

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

I’m rich says the lady who wants to go home soon. Why would you be so stupid. Even if you made it to final three nobody would vote for you.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007

Invalid Validation posted:

I’m rich says the lady who wants to go home soon. Why would you be so stupid. Even if you made it to final three nobody would vote for you.

She might be trying to coast to the end by openly not being a threat to win due to her money a la Mike White. You still get a decent payout for finishing top 3 I think

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

obliriovrons posted:

Is this something that actually bothers people lol

How could it not bother people to see how absolutely lazy Survivor production is at this point? Repeating a challenge, sure that's pretty normal for Survivor. Repeating a full challenge, to the point where they probably didn't take it down between filming is real bad.

Survivor's already know the schedule of "twists" in the 4x Survivor, are we going to get to the point they know what challenge they are even going to run that day...?

15-20 years later, people still remember bits about the early seasons of Survivor, nobody is going to remember a drat thing about the 4x seasons in 10 years. People might remember a few players, but otherwise, the seasons have no identity.

inferis
Dec 30, 2003

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

How could it not bother people to see how absolutely lazy Survivor production is at this point? Repeating a challenge, sure that's pretty normal for Survivor. Repeating a full challenge, to the point where they probably didn't take it down between filming is real bad.

Survivor's already know the schedule of "twists" in the 4x Survivor, are we going to get to the point they know what challenge they are even going to run that day...?

15-20 years later, people still remember bits about the early seasons of Survivor, nobody is going to remember a drat thing about the 4x seasons in 10 years. People might remember a few players, but otherwise, the seasons have no identity.

Other game shows such as the price is right also have repeated challenges

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

inferis posted:

I thought I explained it well enough in the post you quoted. But I'm not complaining about repeating challenges alone. But repeating challenges at the same exact day / episode number. It's a true lack of care about the show from Jeff & the producers.

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
There are things about the current era of Survivor that bother me but looking at the list of the previous season's challenges to make myself mad isn't a priority for me I guess

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!
I don't even really care about the challenges, and I usually fast forward through them.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

SLICK GOKU BABY posted:

I thought I explained it well enough in the post you quoted. But I'm not complaining about repeating challenges alone. But repeating challenges at the same exact day / episode number. It's a true lack of care about the show from Jeff & the producers.

This is really silly, it's still a lot of labor to put together and they do at least change up the challenges visually. To say its a lack of care is just silly, if they didn't care we'd be back to shuffleboard or spelling bees.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

Invalid Validation posted:

People have gone on this show for reasons other than "win the million dollars" since the very first season in Borneo, usually with a side goal of building a personal brand (Dr. Sean wanted to become a television personality). It's just now we have Cameo and Etsy and the ability to steal business plans from Etsy stores over lunch.

inferis posted:

There's a big difference between "The Price Is Right re-running Plinko today" and "re-running Plinko as the second game of the day every Thursday for two months straight"

Next week we're getting split tribals and the only difference is it's happening at Final 12 instead of Final 10. Within two weeks we'll get the stupid rice negotiation

Nihonniboku posted:

I don't even really care about the challenges, and I usually fast forward through them.

this is not and has never been a good thing for the show, if the goal is to maintain the audience's interest in what is happening so they keep watching

STING 64 posted:

This is really silly, it's still a lot of labor to put together and they do at least change up the challenges visually.

Slapping a new coat of paint on a challenge doesn't keep it fresh, especially not with the repeating color combinations we get now. I personally love "Hot Pursuit" but I don't want to see it, or any challenge, every season.

STING 64 posted:

To say its a lack of care is just silly, if they didn't care we'd be back to shuffleboard or spelling bees.

At least those challenges would be different and less easy to predict. A refreshing change in the New Era that is allegedly all about keeping things unpredictable and the monster and sorry for you and etc etc

obliriovrons posted:

There are things about the current era of Survivor that bother me but looking at the list of the previous season's challenges to make myself mad isn't a priority for me I guess

People watch the show and remember things and react to what they see, is that really so unusual?

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
It's not as if they don't have simple challenges they could bring back -- "move your entire tribe from one end of the balance beam to the other, past the rest of the tribe" is something they've done before and could do cheaply again. It's that they repeat the same things over and over season after season, rather than reaching into their bag of tricks and pulling something new out.

At least the journey challenges have been a little different!

Nihonniboku
Aug 11, 2004

YOU CAN FLY!!!

curiousCat posted:

It's not as if they don't have simple challenges they could bring back -- "move your entire tribe from one end of the balance beam to the other, past the rest of the tribe" is something they've done before and could do cheaply again. It's that they repeat the same things over and over season after season, rather than reaching into their bag of tricks and pulling something new out.

Just have a little more variety and comedy. Not every challenge needs to be an obstacle course, a puzzle, balance, or endurance. Let's get another challenge where they have to tear a bunch of meat off of a giant bone.

RandomHodge
Jul 5, 2007
I did enjoy the giant gecko challenge early this season, that was different and a bit wacky.

mp5
Jan 1, 2005

Stroke of luck!

maybe the monster was the giant gecko all along

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i miss the gecko

Studio
Jan 15, 2008

curiousCat posted:

I wouldn't be that surprised if that specific challenge was taken out by Dan Spilo. They've pulled back on physical contact (more rules about distancing when they sleep) and that one uhhh, might be a victim rip.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

have there been any full contact challenges in the new era like the move the giant ball in a mud pit one from china or mortal kombat from samoa

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
The challenges were one of the only memorable parts of the China that were positive. I loved that they had the balance beam thing one team should have easily won but no one could follow the rules.

Poque
Sep 11, 2003

=^-^=
Bring back the ATTACK ZONE from Thailand

Also bring back Robb from Thailand.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

and his skateboard

obliriovrons
Jul 18, 2009
edit: nm

obliriovrons fucked around with this message at 04:21 on Apr 5, 2024

Leatherhead
Jul 3, 2006

For the Angel of Death spread his wings on the blast,
And breathed in the face of the foe as he passed;
And the eyes of the sleepers waxed deadly and chill,
And their hearts but once heaved, and for ever grew still

I would actually be stoked to see shuffleboard, target shooting or any other of the old school challenges back. It's not like hand-eye coordination is any less of a skill than balancing poo poo, and Survivor already contains so much luck (especially in the New Era) that I don't need to pretend like the challenges are some grueling crucible which will winnow us down to only the most deserving. Hell, maybe we wouldn't keep getting 'the one tribe that sucks' every season if you could win a comeback on the basis of one person's sick ladder golf skills.

KingKapalone
Dec 20, 2005
1/16 Native American + 1/2 Hungarian = Totally Badass
Having not watched since single digit seasons I don't know what is expected and what is a twist. Do they always merge at 13 people? Is it always the half immune, one person gone, and then the rest are part of the tribe? The preview said next week two people go home, so is that normal? Did they just edit it to look like someone was surprised? Couldn't be a twist if they are putting it in the preview.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

KingKapalone posted:

Having not watched since single digit seasons I don't know what is expected and what is a twist. Do they always merge at 13 people? Is it always the half immune, one person gone, and then the rest are part of the tribe? The preview said next week two people go home, so is that normal? Did they just edit it to look like someone was surprised? Couldn't be a twist if they are putting it in the preview.

This has been the pattern for the last 6 seasons yeah, same basic "twists" at the same points.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

KingKapalone posted:

It's a "twist" but it's not a twist anymore because they haven't changed anything up drastically since 41. There's slight adjustments to some of the twists (like 41 let the odd person out at the 13 player merge flip the immunity results). Otherwise, the game has been the same.

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007

Nihonniboku posted:

Yeah haha it's just Jeff yelling and some bench person doing an even more annoying noise. I'll sometimes pay attention at the puzzles but I do not watch or care about the ninja warrior poo poo at this point.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Nihonniboku posted:

Just have a little more variety and comedy. Not every challenge needs to be an obstacle course, a puzzle, balance, or endurance. Let's get another challenge where they have to tear a bunch of meat off of a giant bone.
there was a random Australian Survivor challenge where they went to a river with a strong current and they just had sets of two people face off swimming against the current. If you're first to reach a certain forward point you win, or if you get pulled backwards past a certain point you lose. It wasn't the greatest challenge ever but it was one of the most memorable because it was so simple and so different from anything else you see. You can really just do whatever. Obviously "run the course then do a puzzle/make a shot" format has merit, I know they like it because it always leaves the door open for someone to catch up, but it's weird that there hasn't been a challenge that involves something as basic as running a long distance for like... decades? There was that Extinction Island one on Winners at War i guess. But yeah some variety would be nice, there's so much more they could come up with. But I don't care about challenges that much anyway :/