Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I found another one.

In the Ringed City DLC, land of ashen zombie things, with angels firing laser beams and sideways castles, there is yet another poison swamp.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
It's a previous poison area back for round two so it doesn't count. :v:

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
Just think, this was before miyazaki realized he loved poison swamps, something he says he only discovered while working on elden ring

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
I think that's the third one in DS3 alone?

Farron Keep swamp (the crab swamp beforehand doesn't count)
BLIGHT swamp with the black snake things
I feel like there was another one in here that I'm missing. Probably due to the proliferation of non-poison swamps.

Has Miyazaki even *been* in a swamp? They're not really poisonous, more truly stinky and not really able to traverse in straight lines. He's got it all wrong!

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!

Serephina posted:

I feel like there was another one in here that I'm missing. Probably due to the proliferation of non-poison swamps.

Has Miyazaki even *been* in a swamp? They're not really poisonous, more truly stinky and not really able to traverse in straight lines. He's got it all wrong!

The "I shall partake" dudes appear in the third swamp, in the Ringed City DLC

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Serephina posted:

There's a toxic swamp in Profaned Capitol.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

Now I'm going to sing the Perry Mason theme

Magitek posted:

The "I shall partake" dudes appear in the third swamp, in the Ringed City DLC

There are swamps in the Ringed City, Corvian village and in Irithyll, but they arent poison swamps.

There are lady NPCs with bare feet in…

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

Serephina posted:

Miyazaki has taught me that if I'm going into a swamp I should have a dagger

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Technically, Blighttown wasn't a swamp.

Son of Thunderbeast
Sep 21, 2002
More like a hog lagoon, yeah

e: but for the people of an entire city

Son of Thunderbeast fucked around with this message at 21:07 on Mar 31, 2024

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

John Murdoch posted:

Technically, Blighttown wasn't a swamp.

:hmmyes:

Water, leeches, mosquitoes. But not dominated by trees. It’s more of a marsh.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Water?! What water? :itwaspoo:

GrossMurpel
Apr 8, 2011
How do I tell the difference between a swamp and a shallow lake?
Like Agheel Lake in Elden Ring

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

GrossMurpel posted:

How do I tell the difference between a swamp and a shallow lake?
Like Agheel Lake in Elden Ring

Lake has less poison. There's a chance of it, but because of enemies. Swamps always come with poison (or poo).

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
Started a new save, and maybe it’s just that using a pyromancer is one of the worst starting classes for, but I’m still pretty firmly convinced that the High Wall of Lothric is the hardest, most hostile starting post-tutorial zone in a From game. Every enemy worth a drat can take an entire stamina bar’s worth of attacks and still be alive, doggos are a pain in the rear end, and that’s just after like fifteen minutes going down the right path that’s mostly empty aside from the later shortcut. Also your earlygame healing suucks

Honestly it’s cool though. Gives you that oldschool feeling of tension around every corner that Elden Ring and even Sekiro lacked, and mashing R1 does stunlock anything unarmored so it feels fair if overturned a tad. it does feel a bit frustrating that the roll doesn’t have as much control as the BB side step despite pivoting to more aggressive Bloodborne enemy design, makes dodgerolling into attacks feel slightly finicky.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
It might be a pyromancer issue, I rolled the knight and nothing in the High Wall seemed noteworthy other than the first Lothric Knight.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
A lot of things on the High Wall are rather weak to fire, which the pyromancer can distribute liberally.

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Last Celebration posted:

Started a new save, and maybe it’s just that using a pyromancer is one of the worst starting classes for, but I’m still pretty firmly convinced that the High Wall of Lothric is the hardest, most hostile starting post-tutorial zone in a From game. Every enemy worth a drat can take an entire stamina bar’s worth of attacks and still be alive, doggos are a pain in the rear end, and that’s just after like fifteen minutes going down the right path that’s mostly empty aside from the later shortcut. Also your earlygame healing suucks

Honestly it’s cool though. Gives you that oldschool feeling of tension around every corner that Elden Ring and even Sekiro lacked, and mashing R1 does stunlock anything unarmored so it feels fair if overturned a tad. it does feel a bit frustrating that the roll doesn’t have as much control as the BB side step despite pivoting to more aggressive Bloodborne enemy design, makes dodgerolling into attacks feel slightly finicky.

Pick up the claymore from the high wall and watch as all your problems melt away.

axolotl farmer
May 17, 2007

The hand axe that the pyro starts with is actually great and can carry you the whole game.

Simply Simon
Nov 6, 2010

📡scanning🛰️ for good game 🎮design🦔🦔🦔
High Wall is pretty tough if you're not used to the game, yeah

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I was going to say nah High Wall is fine and then I remembered the Lothric Knights, those guys really don't mess around for a first zone

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

High Wall is definitely one of the hardest starting areas in any From game. Lots of little bullshit things that can kill you and it's a long way to Vordt if you don't already know the shortcuts, which you won't.

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i'm on my replay of this game - killed dancer before vordt and went for the twin fat knight axes, they rock. also dancer is a really fun boss fight at low levels and is way more fair than i remembered - in phase 1 it's just the side swipe after you dodge to the side, in phase 2 it's just the three hit combo with weird timing, all the other attacks are manageable.

i definitely agree that high wall is the hardest starting zone with the lothric knights, fat knight and the pus of man. the only comparable thing being maybe heide tower in SOTFS, if you go there instead of forest of the giants and pull the lever and gotta gently caress around with the heide knights.

i've wrapped up the whole base game (with an npc quest guide after loving up every single one in my first blind playthrough) and this game is real fun and good. i forgot that gundyr has a launcher into air combo. and i forgot how cool of a fight dragonslayer armour and lothric are. abyss watchers are maybe up there with burnt ivory king as far as flavour and theme goes (but too easy and therefore lose points). nameless king and pontiff are also both cool but kind of the same fight, ultimately.

the whole game feels like dark souls fan service with one callback or another coming every five minutes, but not in a bad way. i'm excited for the DLCs - friede was my favourite boss fight on my first playthrough and i'm hype to revisit her.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Foul Fowl posted:

the whole game feels like dark souls fan service with one callback or another coming every five minutes, but not in a bad way. i'm excited for the DLCs - friede was my favourite boss fight on my first playthrough and i'm hype to revisit her.

Dark Souls 3 (I feel) makes a brilliant comment on remake culture and the need (or refusal) to let things go. Part of that is a direct response to Dark Souls 2, but also who knows what else you can map onto there.

It's the first of the games I played at the same time everyone else was playing for the first time.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Dark Souls 3 (I feel) makes a brilliant comment on remake culture and the need (or refusal) to let things go. Part of that is a direct response to Dark Souls 2, but also who knows what else you can map onto there.

It's the first of the games I played at the same time everyone else was playing for the first time.

I much prefered the design of DS3 but I really liked how DS2 approached bring a sequel, bringing back all your favourite guys and place like it hasn't been eons since the first game was kinda tacky and I appreciated DS2 at least trying to build something new on the long forgotten ruins of Lordran

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

No Dignity posted:

I much prefered the design of DS3 but I really liked how DS2 approached bring a sequel, bringing back all your favourite guys and place like it hasn't been eons since the first game was kinda tacky and I appreciated DS2 at least trying to build something new on the long forgotten ruins of Lordran

it's not like DS2 didn't also indulge in that from time to time, Old Dragonslayer is even using the same model

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Yeah Old Dragonslayer was the worst for that, and like not even a good fight. In general though I liked how it reached for so many new things, even if the execution was lacking. DS3 basically just felt like an alternate , more conventional sequel to DS1 (which in a way I suppose it was?)

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i agree, and i think dark souls 3’s by far most interesting ideas are the new ones (untended graves though that’s kinda ripping off the church workshop from BB, aldrich’s age of deep, the race of demons dying out, the whole conceit of the dreg heap at the end of the world and the ringed city, father ariandel and the choking of the flame causing the painting to rot being a mirror of gwyn doing the opposite and causing the real world to rot, gael’s whole thing of basically being a player character unheralded and unknown but massively powerful, the Dark Soul used as a pigment, the actual ending being either a pathetic sputtering of the re-ignited fire or the coming of the age of dark, i’ve not seen the hollow ending but i’m doing that this playthrough). there’s actually a lot of interesting things but they kinda get buried in the endless onslaught of references.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
The funny part is a lot of the half-realized ideas in DS3 just crop up again in Elden Ring, albeit sometimes with the context twisted around.

Like how Marika is basically a more fully realized version of Gertrude, or how one of the endings requires that you give a maiden forbidden eyeballs.

World War Mammories
Aug 25, 2006

over the course of their entire existence, miyazaki specifically and fromsoft in general have made about three, maybe three and a half different games several times each, and it rules

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010
So are the three games Demon’s Dark Souls I-III, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and the Open World Part of Elden Ring (because otherwise it’s just Dark Souls IV) making up the last half?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I liked Dark Souls 2 as a sequel, I like when devs try new things.

Could have sworn I was supposed to remember someone, though. Oh well.

I wish they would remaster or remake Otogi.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Last Celebration posted:

So are the three games Demon’s Dark Souls I-III, Bloodborne, Sekiro, and the Open World Part of Elden Ring (because otherwise it’s just Dark Souls IV) making up the last half?

slow souls games, fast souls games, and armored core

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
i think sekiro counts as the .5 as it's a souls game but with a cling clang mechanic that changes how you play it.

i wrapped up the DLCs and i think, in retrospect, ashes of ariandel is not as good as i remember (though the friede fight is cool as hell but gravetender feels like a dark souls 2 mid-game joke boss). the corvid village is very cool but i'm not that impressed with the rest of the stuff.

ringed city though, drat. tremendous from start to finish - i love the dreg heap, i love the demon prince, and i really love all those weird little david lynch locusts talking about the dark within. the ringed city is cool as hell and gael is such an amazing fight. he's the reason i never think of soul of cinder as one of the best final boss fights in the franchise - it is, but gael is way better. i did not beat midir this time around though as i fought him once and remembered what a pain in the rear end fight it is.

e: also i love that the lord of hollows ending mentions londor and as far as i know this is never expounded on. just some vague hints here and there. can't believe they didn't make another DLC about it but that's fromsoft for you.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Everybody always latches onto the DS1 callbacks (usually to complain), but nobody ever talks about all the DeS references.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe
The more classic anime I watch the more I realize they're not callbacks, it's just that these Japanese guys really like certain themes and symbols and poo poo and they do a real fun job of putting a rotating theater of things into all the stuff they do. It's like when you see a person in western literature be a christ figure or whatever. Except it's for shoujo anime.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

Foul Fowl posted:

i think sekiro counts as the .5 as it's a souls game but with a cling clang mechanic that changes how you play it.

i wrapped up the DLCs and i think, in retrospect, ashes of ariandel is not as good as i remember (though the friede fight is cool as hell but gravetender feels like a dark souls 2 mid-game joke boss). the corvid village is very cool but i'm not that impressed with the rest of the stuff.

ringed city though, drat. tremendous from start to finish - i love the dreg heap, i love the demon prince, and i really love all those weird little david lynch locusts talking about the dark within. the ringed city is cool as hell and gael is such an amazing fight. he's the reason i never think of soul of cinder as one of the best final boss fights in the franchise - it is, but gael is way better. i did not beat midir this time around though as i fought him once and remembered what a pain in the rear end fight it is.

e: also i love that the lord of hollows ending mentions londor and as far as i know this is never expounded on. just some vague hints here and there. can't believe they didn't make another DLC about it but that's fromsoft for you.

I love DS3 ends with the end of the world and then the DLC ends with Gael essentially relinking the dark soul and allowing the creation of a new world, thematically it's beautiful as a creation of something entirely that will live past the extinction of the old world and on a meta level the new painted world is The Lands Between

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.

John Murdoch posted:

Everybody always latches onto the DS1 callbacks (usually to complain), but nobody ever talks about all the DeS references.

Demon's Souls came out multiple years after DS3. :smuggo:

Foul Fowl
Sep 12, 2008

Uuuuh! Seek ye me?
oh yeah and the other really cool thing about the ringed city was that i actually got invaded like three times, and i had no problem finding a human to fight for the halflight fight. pvp in these games is still super fun. i beat two people and got absolutely smoked by this one player.

John Murdoch posted:

i hadn't played demon's souls last time i played ds3 but this time around i got to the stairs leading up to lothric and i was like hang on a minute this seems awfully familiar.

SHISHKABOB posted:

The more classic anime I watch the more I realize they're not callbacks, it's just that these Japanese guys really like certain themes and symbols and poo poo and they do a real fun job of putting a rotating theater of things into all the stuff they do. It's like when you see a person in western literature be a christ figure or whatever. Except it's for shoujo anime.

i don't mean things like themes and symbols (every fromsoft game is about the same things more or less) i mean things like the fume knight greatsword, the demon ruins, the morion blade, anor londo, andre, alva, siegward, quelana's spell tome, havel, the ruin sentinel armour, black knights walking around, lucatiel's armour, etc.

i also wondered if the first midir encounter was a callback to the dogshit undead dragon fight in DS1 lol

there's a whole lot of NPCs and items and areas that are just more or less direct callbacks. i'm not complaining, i like it, and i like that it adds a certain sense of lineage and history to the game, but it does make it feel less original and fresh, particularly when there's a whole bunch of cool new ideas like the outrider knights, the age of the deep, the ungodly horrible body horror stuff in the dungeon, oceiros and ocelotte, the horrible butterflies controlling the dragon slayer armour, the untended graves (first and only time you see the age of dark in-game?), etc. that i wish was expanded on more. even something like the abyss watchers was a really cool take on an old idea.

No Dignity posted:

I love DS3 ends with the end of the world and then the DLC ends with Gael essentially relinking the dark soul and allowing the creation of a new world, thematically it's beautiful as a creation of something entirely that will live past the extinction of the old world and on a meta level the new painted world is The Lands Between

i wonder when uncle gael will come home :qq:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
To me the callbacks and the themes intertwine to a large extent. In a meta-textual sense the 3rd game is very conclusively closing the circle, which means turning back towards its origin point. I mean, hell, the Ringed City is literally both the beginning and the end.

The weirdest part is that the two callbacks that people seem to have the biggest problem with - Anor Londo and the Abyss Watchers - aren't done artlessly? People act like Anor Londo is some triumphant bit of DS1 nostalgia but it's literally a barely surviving shithole taken over by a goopy Lovecraft monster. (I mean I also think its inclusion is a little weird and goofy, but not because it's unchecked fanservice.) Meanwhile unless I'm just daft I thought the entire point of the Abyss Watchers is that the world has stagnated so badly that even knights swearing to continue Artiorias's work have basically forgotten him or what they're even supposed to be doing.