Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

lines
Aug 18, 2013

She, laughing in mockery, changed herself into a wren and flew away.
Right, but he uses the dodge action in specific.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3sgtpAo71dU

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
skateboard mount confirmed

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

Blockhouse posted:

Okay it seems like running Trusts will probably be the fastest way so I don't have to return to the Bozja mines.

For comparison a single Trust dungeon is about four times the XP of EO 21-30 for a comparable amount of time spent.

Just curious if you included the EXP earring for Trusts, since it'd work for them but not EO 21-30 or Bozja.

Also, I was wondering why Trusts and not going Duty Finder, but then I remembered they didn't give us a non-DPS role for DT. The queues for the 81-89 dungeons are going to crawl for them but be even more instant than usual for Tanks and Healers. Might be a good time to work on the tank mounts...

Offkorn
Jan 16, 2008

Borderline Anti-Social Schizoid
Thanks to those that mentioned the event duty's phoenix charge button did a ton of damage. I had caught the 'counter everything' strategy but had ignored that one since I didn't need a gap closer.

If you use both whenever possible the fight goes really fast.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

I tried to dodge something that didn't have the countdown but presumably messed up the timing and it didn't work, so I assumed for the rest of the fight that it only worked when it had the countdown.

I did use the other thing on cooldown through so the fight didn't drag too much

Autisanal Cheese
Nov 29, 2010

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

I want a special raid that's FF15 crossover Garuda and FF16 crossover Ifrit with the guest mechanics from both and then they combine into Ultimate Raktapaksa.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Thundarr posted:

I want a special raid that's FF15 crossover Garuda and FF16 crossover Ifrit with the guest mechanics from both and then they combine into Ultimate Raktapaksa.

Sadly FF16 Ifrit already has a different combo

Thundarr
Dec 24, 2002

You're allowed to have multiple combos!

Tamba
Apr 5, 2010

Potassium Problems posted:

still scratching my head over the what the intent is here

You forgot the first slide, the one before those two, that shows that you can dodge any AoE, not just the ones with the "PRESS DODGE NOW"-marker:

kaynorr
Dec 31, 2003

Not the absolute banger that Footfalls was (either music or the video), but these guys still know a thing or two about rocking out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tamba posted:

You forgot the first slide, the one before those two, that shows that you can dodge any AoE, not just the ones with the "PRESS DODGE NOW"-marker:

I genuinely thought I was crazy and imagined that since nobody was mentioning it.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I am here to make Ifrit bleed, not to read.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.

Mainwaring posted:

I'd just like to point out that the clue to using the dodge action on mechanics which can be moved out of is that you can clearly see Clive doing just that.

You're assuming that between watching my hotbars and watching the floor for AoE markers that I have mental energy to spare to care about what Clive is doing. Unless the goal of the duty is specifically "keep this person alive," I don't give them any thought during the fight.

On that note, redid the event on an alt, went in on White Mage, and completely clowned on 16 Ifrit with the duty action buttons.

Tamba posted:

Except there were people who tried to dodge attacks that didn't have the marker and failed to do so, which led them to conclude the opposite was true. So basically it boils down to the system failing to convey that the failed dodge was due to bad timing on the input from the player.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

I can't see any way of massaging the math such that Zadnor was ever better xp than at-level dungeons after like 83 even with the most generous assumptions. Babil is 2-4 mil depending on rested and such and it only goes up from there. Even with slower trusts that's pretty good, more with fast queues (granted DT has two DPS) or if you do other stuff like Fates during downtime.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

it's so people can turn their brain off while they grind

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
I recently, as in February or so, power levelled someone from 81 to 90 exclusively in dungeons. He started with 0 rested exp.

We only ever had to do any dungeon 5 times to get into the next one - so 5 dungeons per two levels. He just had the FC exp buff and food buff. We did it over 3 nights, 3 hours a time more or less. We're also dungeon brained from wow so chainrunning dungeons as fast as possible is how we turn our brains off.

So about an hour a level on average. But there are a couple factors: He was dps and generally is a high dps player. I healed, so queues were negligible and my damage output was what you'd want from a healer. Even so, the players we matched with were questionable, but typically tanks would multipull and the other dps would occasionally press buttons.

Not sure how this compares to Bozja or other stuff but these are recent numbers.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Of note, during EA and the first few weeks to a month or two of the expac people will be grinding fates. They are still a great way to level up especially when a bunch of people are doing them. Once everyone has capped on their fates for the new zones, this will die off, so get your fate action going early.

You can still sometimes throw together a fate party through PF but it's nothing like it will be at the beginning of the expac. In EW, for example, I leveled some jobs from 80-90 with nothing else but grinding out the required fates per zone.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Vitamean posted:

You can do that with trusts too. :ssh:

Do people actually loving like Bozja? I've voiced my distaste of Bozja before and so many people defend it. Yet, apparently it's because they want to mindlessly grind levels?

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

You can do that with trusts too. :ssh:

Do people actually loving like Bozja? I've voiced my distaste of Bozja before and so many people defend it. Yet, apparently it's because they want to mindlessly grind levels?

I liked Bozja because it was functionally a series of genuinely enjoyable boss fights punctuated by reasonably fun dungeons.

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Cleretic posted:

2P, 2B and Mikoto all do this, it's basically a flavorful way to have NPCs be 'in the fight' while not having them be at risk of death.
Mikoto stands in every goddamn mechanic

she levitates over traps with her magic shoes

and she still parses like 200 dps

don't be like Mikoto

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Mr. Nice! posted:

Of note, during EA and the first few weeks to a month or two of the expac people will be grinding fates. They are still a great way to level up especially when a bunch of people are doing them. Once everyone has capped on their fates for the new zones, this will die off, so get your fate action going early.

You can still sometimes throw together a fate party through PF but it's nothing like it will be at the beginning of the expac. In EW, for example, I leveled some jobs from 80-90 with nothing else but grinding out the required fates per zone.

Filling out your Shared Fates log is also a really fuckin good way to level an additional job.

With both ShB/EW, it took less than 3 zones worth of shared fates (so under 200 fates) to level a job through that expansion. So if you are leveling your main job via MSQ, you could easily level two more to max by doing shared fates along the way.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

ImpAtom posted:

I liked Bozja because it was functionally a series of genuinely enjoyable boss fights punctuated by reasonably fun dungeons.

That seems to run counter to the "people run Bozja to turn their brain off" comment though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!
The CEs in bozja are fun yeah

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Mordiceius posted:

That seems to run counter to the "people run Bozja to turn their brain off" comment though.

Maybe people like different elements of the same content

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Mordiceius posted:

I can't speak for them.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

bozja is one of the most fun things in the game to me. lost actions are a blast and the critical engagements/duels/pseudo alliance raids are great

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Vitamean posted:

We turn our brains off in different ways then, because after two loops of "race to the next fate and tag something before it all dies" I'm exhausted. Dungeons don't rely on twitch reflexes nearly as much.

As for liking Bozja, I like a lot of the stuff in there. I just don't like what interacting with that stuff has degenerated into.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

You can hang out and bullshit in chat while you level in Zadnor and you go in the same loops the whole time, I found it extremely chill. Even if it's not The Fastest, it's easily my preference. In dungeons I have to be relatively focused the entire time on actually making them go fast and I get insanely bored really fast.

That's pretty separate from my general appreciation of Bozja though. It felt like they were genuinely interested in experimenting with that content; despite the issues getting into them, the duels were some of my favorite content in the game and lost actions were super fun to dick around with. DR Savage is pretty badass too.

iPodschun
Dec 29, 2004

Sherlock House

Orcs and Ostriches posted:

I recently, as in February or so, power levelled someone from 81 to 90 exclusively in dungeons. He started with 0 rested exp.

We only ever had to do any dungeon 5 times to get into the next one - so 5 dungeons per two levels. He just had the FC exp buff and food buff. We did it over 3 nights, 3 hours a time more or less. We're also dungeon brained from wow so chainrunning dungeons as fast as possible is how we turn our brains off.

So about an hour a level on average. But there are a couple factors: He was dps and generally is a high dps player. I healed, so queues were negligible and my damage output was what you'd want from a healer. Even so, the players we matched with were questionable, but typically tanks would multipull and the other dps would occasionally press buttons.

Not sure how this compares to Bozja or other stuff but these are recent numbers.
It took me abut 7 hours to do 80-90 in Zadnor from what I remember. I was also watching basketball games and talking to people in voice chat so it was a nice, relaxing, brainless grind for me. The CEs are mostly pretty easy for me so those are still brainless for me too; I did start skipping snake because I was tired of it taking so long with everyone else dying though. This reddit post from December 2021 says it took them about 5 hours.

I did pop into Zadnor on Primal after Bruceski's post a few pages back and I did see what they were talking about with people waiting in the middle area for skirmishes to pop. Not sure how much that speeds things up now but it is sad if people aren't killing mechs regularly anymore to spawn CEs.

Mordiceius posted:

With both ShB/EW, it took less than 3 zones worth of shared fates (so under 200 fates) to level a job through that expansion.
This probably depends on your rested experience too because when I leveled White Mage off of ShB fates and Warrior off of EW fates, I did them without rested exp and I didn't hit max level until the last zone for each expansion.

Genovera
Feb 13, 2014

subterranean
space pterodactyls

I really dislike Bozja/Zadnor, but I love doing fates, especially when they're very active. I think it's mostly that Bozja and Zadnor are ugly, while the ShB and EW zones are appealing to me. Maybe it's lore appropriate for them to be ugly, but it doesn't make me want to spend time there.

Dealing with essences is also a hassle, and I hope the next iteration just makes them like the selectable buffs in variant dungeons. Just have new options/upgrades unlock as you go.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Genovera posted:

I really dislike Bozja/Zadnor, but I love doing fates, especially when they're very active. I think it's mostly that Bozja and Zadnor are ugly, while the ShB and EW zones are appealing to me. Maybe it's lore appropriate for them to be ugly, but it doesn't make me want to spend time there.

Yeah this is the problem for me too, can't even ReShade my way out of a sea of ugly brown textures. At least dungeons have something interesting to look at most of the time, like the last area of Vanaspati.

gay devil
Aug 20, 2009

God I hope the Dawntrail field exploration zones are prettier. Eureka had some gorgeous scenery

Genovera posted:

Dealing with essences is also a hassle, and I hope the next iteration just makes them like the selectable buffs in variant dungeons. Just have new options/upgrades unlock as you go.

Agreed. I kinda get why the lost actions have the holster system limiting how many total you can bring at any given time for some vague semblance of balance, but the essences should be separate from that, lemme swap on the fly from permanently unlocked essences

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Bozja leans into the "WWI trenches" aesthetic too far for its own good and schlepping it across the map is really tedious before you have the riding map.

Vitamean
May 31, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

people who like to level jobs while turning their brain off like to run bozja, but they're not exclusively the people who run bozja. don't be weird about this.

goblin week
Jan 26, 2019

Absolute clown.
holy poo poo the ff16 ifrit fight took forever. i can't believe Cleretic was right.

e: in retrospect bosses taking forever is true to the experience

Firebert
Aug 16, 2004
Bozja/Eureka are some of the only things in the game that actually make it feel like an mmo and it rules that they are doing that again next expansion. I hope they continue to go wild with CEs, bring back the carbuncle race cars so I can see all the bodies pile up. gently caress it — give me conga lines and harrowing hell webs, too.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

goblin week posted:

holy poo poo the ff16 ifrit fight took forever. i can't believe Cleretic was right.

e: in retrospect bosses taking forever is true to the experience

_________________/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

God Hole
Mar 2, 2016

I had a Dun Scaith run today where we managed to kill Deathgaze right as it cast Void Aero... so the ice blocks disappeared and the entire raid wiped lmao