Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Usually you'd get in trouble for being in possession of a human skull but this one's been grandfathered in.

Booooooooooooo

AITAH for the way I responded to my daughter asking if I had a crush?

quote:

Okay so I am a single mom with a 14 year old daughter. We were at the mall last night and I ran into a friend I knew when I was younger (and may or may not have had a brief thing with) and he and I talked for a few minutes and walked away.

My daughter was smiling and asked if I had a crush on him and I said “what do you mean?” and she giggled and said “I saw you looking at his butt.” I guess I got embarrassed and became defensive and I told her not to speak to me like that and it isn’t appropriate for her to be saying things like that. I could see her expression kinda drop and she just looked down and went “sorry…”

AITAH for reacting this way? I kinda feel bad about it but I don’t know if it was wrong of me to respond that way.

12 hours later...
Update: AITAH for the way I responded to my daughter asking me if I had a crush?

quote:

I saw the comments which confirmed what I was thinkin that I was TAH so I got home and my daughter was home and I went up to her and asked if I could have a few minutes of her time, and I told her I was sorry I was so aggressive last night and I got embarrassed and didn’t respond well and hoped she could forgive me. She told me she forgave me and accepted my hug.

Then I told her “but for what it’s worth…I may or may not for a tenth of a second have accidentally glanced in the general direction his butt was in.” and then suddenly her face changed expression and she said “I KNEW IT!!” and excitedly started asking me if we had dated in the past and if I would try to form another connection with him soon.

Honestly, I was SO worried I had messed up to the point where I’d never get that back but I was given a second chance by whatever higher power there is and I’m so so happy. Love my daughter so much and I’m glad she knows she can talk to me about that :)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

Hughlander posted:

12 hours later...
Update: AITAH for the way I responded to my daughter asking me if I had a crush?

:3: it's always good to get one with a heartwarming ending

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Hughlander posted:

Booooooooooooo

12 hours later...

I always appreciate when the update is "Wow, yeah, I was a moron. I corrected my behavior"

Sometimes the constant doubling down by people is loving exhausting.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

mystes posted:

The way he describes it is that she gave him a weird look when he asked for a fork and then asked the wife if there was a problem in a way that seems to have been in response to him asking for a fork.

imo either
1) He was weird about how he asked for a fork (like he was intentionally acting like he didn't want to be in a Chinese restaurant)
2) He just asked for a fork normally and she was actually acting snobbish about it as he described, or
3) The way he told the story was so inaccurate it's not worth trying to make sense of it

I don't think it's really possible to distinguish between 1 and 2 just by reading his post, so I don't think it's possible to say whether it's projection or not, but if the sequence of events is anything like what he described it doesn't sound like the question about whether they should have gone to another restaurant was intended neutrally. That's not usually something you would say when someone has just started to eat their food unless there is some specific issue.

OP posted this about his wife in the comments:

quote:

She is people pleaser. Which makes me want to act more like this to balance things out.

So we can probably guess.

Also lots of Hindu nationalist, Islamophobic, and sexist poo poo in his post history, so, yeah.

The Diddler
Jun 22, 2006

Hughlander posted:

12 hours later...

they're treating each other like people, i don't like it

i love it!

Tobermory
Mar 31, 2011

AITA for putting people on a "no drinking" list for my wedding?

quote:

I (22f) am getting married in 2 months. At our wedding, we have an open bar from when food starts to the end of the evening. The bar has beer, wine, and a specialty cocktail. My husband (23m) and I do not drink much, if ever, because we both take medication. There will be soda and water available as well.

Our wedding has almost 100 guests. Out of our 100 guests, we have some 3 relatives and 2 close friends who are alcoholics. Due to friend/family drama and etiquette, we did not really have the option to not invite these people without there being significant social consequences.

We have a list of those 5 people we plan on giving to our bartender and instructing them not to be served alcohol. All 5 of these people know they have issues with alcohol and have been confronted by their own friends and family before for their drinking habits. These issues include being banned from bars, urinating in their pants due to overdrinking, causing physical fights, inciting screaming matches over something minor, and more. It is not like they just overdrink and need help getting home.

As much as I love these people, they cause significant disruptions when they drink, and I do not want to risk something horrible happening on our wedding day. When talking about this with my friends and other relatives, I got several comments about how we should let them drink a few drinks so they do not feel embarrassed about not having / holding a drink, cut them off after a certain number of drinks, or that I would have a lot of fun at my wedding and not notice them acting poorly if they did. They also said we may get backlash for not allowing them to drink or that they may end up just taking someone else's drinks. They also said that I have already hired security for the event, so it isn't a big deal if they do need to be kicked out.

I told them that I am tired of having to plan ahead for people's addictions and all of them are capable of not drinking alcohol. We have already had to pay $1800 for security just to have 5 people attend and I do not want to pay any more for any incidents they may cause due to drinking. My husband and I have had to consistently take care of alcoholics and deal with the consequences of their abuse and I will not prioritize them over us.

I've been called unempathetic and inconsiderate of their feelings.

Edit: We have spoken to each of their S/O's or family members who have told them not to drink at the wedding. They have not told they would not be served, but all 5 have agreed to not drink.

AITA?

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Tobermory posted:

You're getting called an rear end in a top hat either way, so I would just not invite these five if you're so worried that you hired security.

mystes
May 31, 2006

If they've caused incidents after getting drunk but OP feels the need to invite them anyway I don't really see the problem with getting them to agree not to drink and telling the bartender not to serve them?

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Tobermory posted:

Haha, if you think these ppl are a pain in the rear end with the booze, just wait for the fireworks when the first one gets 86'd

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Shanghaied posted:

You're getting called an rear end in a top hat either way, so I would just not invite these five if you're so worried that you hired security.

Well, yeah. $1800 extra for 5 people? Geddouttahere. They can watch on Zoom or something.

Mushmouth
Feb 21, 2004
Urban Tumbleweed

DeeplyConcerned posted:

Haha, if you think these ppl are a pain in the rear end with the booze, just wait for the fireworks when the first one gets 86'd

At least with no forewarning they won't be as likely to sneak a bottle in as a big ~~gotcha~~. It's a lot easier to haul a sober person out the door than it is a big drunk baby who doesn't like being 'controlled'.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

It sounds like it's a recipe for disaster or drama pretty much no matter what they do, lending credence to my assertion that weddings are dumb and annoying, and nobody should bother with them

The Maroon Hawk
May 10, 2008

Oh good, here come the wedding haters

AmiYumi
Oct 10, 2005

I FORGOT TO HAIL KING TORG
"Neither of us drink, and our families are packed with full-blown alcoholics we insist on inviting.

The wedding will have an open bar.

We are very smart."

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually
Another day, another "test" that backfires.

AITAH for breaking up with my girlfriend because she tried to “teach me a lesson”?

quote:

My (26M) ex girlfriend (25F) went out with some friends last weekend. I usually wait up and pick her up or at least make sure she got to her apartment safe before I go to bed but I had a flu and kept falling in and out of sleep that night.

When I woke up randomly at like 4am, I saw 3 missed calls from her. I called her back and she wasn’t answering. I call her friends and the calls weren’t going through. I started panicking and thinking the worst. I go to her apartment and she isn’t there. I go to the bar she said she would be at but it was closed by the time I got there. It was the worst couple of hours ever. Im quite an anxious person so those few hours were terrible.

At around 1pm that day after I was running around town like a mad man looking for her since 4am, she calls me. She says she slept over at her friends house. She shares the location with me and I go over. She looked like she was in a good mood and just smiling at me. I asked her what the hell happened and why she wasn’t answering my calls, and why she was here. She said she wanted to teach me a lesson about not answering her calls in the middle of the night when she could’ve been in danger, and wanted to scare me a bit so she didn’t answer my calls and asked her friends to block my number.

I felt like a cartoon with steam coming out of its ears. I’ve never felt anger like that in my life. I guess I just didn’t think an adult could be that childish. I didn’t even hesitate in breaking up with her immediately and going home. She was blowing up my phone asking if I was serious and if this is all it took for me to end our otherwise perfect relationship. She’s right about it being nearly perfect but the fact that she was willing to put me through distress to teach me a lesson shows that she isn’t the kind of person I want to be with.

My brothers are saying what she did wasn’t cool but I’m overreacting by breaking up with her. AITAH?
OP, when you felt like a cartoon with steam coming out of your ears? That was the Spirit Of Pete manifesting in you.

Lucid Nonsense
Aug 6, 2009

Welcome to the jungle, it gets worse here every day

This could be scientific curiosity, but I'm leaning toward "I'm going to watch the bastard rot".

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

AmiYumi posted:

"Neither of us drink, and our families are packed with full-blown alcoholics we insist on inviting.

We are very smart."

:emptyquote:

AITA for not inviting my eldest brother to my wedding.

quote:

I f 30 am marrying my fiance 29 m in two month. I have 3 siblings 25m(sam), 37f(sara) and 42m(jake) . My mom got pregnant at 18 and gave birth to my eldest brother Jake . Jake and I are half siblings. Due to our age gape I never really bounded with my eldest brother. When I was 6 years old he went to college.

He used to call mom and dad(his stepdad) regularly to ask about me and my other siblings . But that's it nothing more than just normal "how are you" and "what are you doing" we never really hung out with him . Only my sister Sara was close to him , they used to talk alot , unlike me and sam. When ever he visited us he used to bring chocolates and gifts for us . And take me and my other siblings to lunch and dinner . As I grew up we started to drift apart. On there other hand I have very good relationship with my other siblings. Currently I and jake only talk like once month .

Now to the main issue, I am getting married to the love of my life . And we have planned a small wedding nothing big or extravagant . We are saving for a home and honeymoon. Since it is a small wedding both of us have decided to only invite close friends and family members. I have invited 4 friends and mom , dad , Sara, Sam, my grandmother form father side (only grandparent alive) . When I broke this new to the family all hell broke lose . I was expecting my mom to to be upset that I didn't invite my brother but almost everyone was upset including Sam which I didn't expect.

So turns out Sam wanted to become a software engineer and jake was a software engineer . For that reason he and jake started to talk more and jake guided Sam in his journey of becoming a software engineer . I on the other hand am lawyer. I didn't knew they reconnected .

All of them are saying I cannot do this to jake and he is also family. I have talked to jake and he said he is fine with not being invited but would appreciate if I reconsidered my decision as I was invited to his wedding .

My fiance is fine with inviting jake but I think only people who should be part of wedding are the once who love you and care about .

BAGS FLY AT NOON
Apr 6, 2011

A Soft Nylon Bag
r/relationships: due to our age gape

sephiRoth IRA
Jun 13, 2007

"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality."

-Carl Sagan
Age gape is extremely upsetting

Saint Isaias Boner
Jan 17, 2007

hi how are you

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Vertigo Ambrosia
May 26, 2004
Heretic, please.

AmiYumi posted:

We are very smart."

Oh come on, we all know that a significant amount of people consider a dry wedding to be an abomination (including many people in the last thread), I'm sure there would have been a shitload of drama whining about that.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AmiYumi posted:

We are very smart."

lol wasn't there one a few months ago where the couple announced the wedding wouldn't have a bar and nobody wanted to go?

efb

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Clark Nova posted:

lol wasn't there one a few months ago where the couple announced the wedding wouldn't have a bar and nobody wanted to go?

efb

Yes, because the wedding was intentionally scheduled to overlap some other holiday where most people would expect to drink (new years?)

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

I think the open bar wedding op shouldn't have an open bar and invite the problematic alcoholics at the same time. Either don't invite them or switch to a cash bar.

They can cut down on the amount of drinking among the 100 guests with a cash bar.

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Clark Nova posted:

efb

Iirc, that couple also lied about it until after everyone had already arranged rides/hotel rooms, and had a bit on the schedule labeled "cocktail hour," so the guests were understandably a bit annoyed.

DemoneeHo posted:

I think the open bar wedding op shouldn't have an open bar and invite the problematic alcoholics at the same time. Either don't invite them or switch to a cash bar.

They can cut down on the amount of drinking among the 100 guests with a cash bar.

That sounds like the worst of both worlds, since having to pay won't really stop the alcoholics, but will inconvenience everyone else.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

BAGS FLY AT NOON posted:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
It’s already been changed you oaf.

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DemoneeHo posted:

[b]AITA for not inviting my eldest brother to my wedding.[/b

quote:

He used to call mom and dad(his stepdad) regularly to ask about me and my other siblings . But that's it nothing more than just normal "how are you" and "what are you doing" we never really hung out with him . Only my sister Sara was close to him , they used to talk alot , unlike me and sam. When ever he visited us he used to bring chocolates and gifts for us . And take me and my other siblings to lunch and dinner . As I grew up we started to drift apart. On there other hand I have very good relationship with my other siblings. Currently I and jake only talk like once month .

Is it just me, or does it sound like the OP and the brother are actually pretty close for adult siblings, despite her attempt to downplay their relationship?

Also OP writes terribly for a lawyer.

Clark Nova
Jul 18, 2004

AnoHito posted:

Iirc, that couple also lied about it until after everyone had already arranged rides/hotel rooms, and had a bit on the schedule labeled "cocktail hour," so the guests were understandably a bit annoyed.

Yeah, that was it. I'd be mad as hell about a surprise mormon wedding myself

Scathach
Apr 4, 2011

You know that thing where you sleep on your arm funny and when you wake up it's all numb? Yeah that's my whole world right now.

Clark Nova posted:

Yeah, that was it. I'd be mad as hell about a surprise mormon wedding myself

Did you not bring your special underwear?

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:
Yeah it sounds like she resents him for going to college and being older than her, despite him making every effort to make and maintain a connection, she's the one who checked out at the age of loving six.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

Shanghaied posted:

Also OP writes terribly for a lawyer.

yta for the crimes of not using spaces before parentheses, for using spaces BEFORE PERIODS AND COMMAS, various misspellings, "alot," et cetera

GAVEL

DoubleNegative
Jan 27, 2010

The most virtuous child in the entire world.
AITA For telling my girlfriend I’m done because she expects me to stay awake 18+ hours a day?

quote:

My gf (27F) is hounding me constantly about how we do not spend enough time together, for a short preface on that we live together, make dinner every night together, and on weekends we spend the entirety of them together doing various activities such as brewery tours, visiting her parents, date nights, concerts etc.

I get up at 5am for work and don’t get home until about 4:30pm I commonly fall asleep at 8pm (at that point I’ve been awake for 15 hours). She’s told me she feels that she is “alone” more often than not and has cried multiple times at night because I’m falling asleep early. I’ve gone and spent thousands having this looked into and the better part of our 1 year relationship. I’ve been to the chiropractor, seen 2 different ear nose and throat doctors and have tried countless over the counter remedies to no avail. AITA?

Tl;dr gf says we spend no time together and I’m contemplating breaking up with her because of it

Get a load of this guy, needing (checks notes) 8-9 hours of sleep a night. What an inconsiderate rear end in a top hat!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

Kurieg posted:

Yeah it sounds like she resents him for going to college and being older than her, despite him making every effort to make and maintain a connection, she's the one who checked out at the age of loving six.

Did she even really check out? They talk monthly. I don't have siblings, but some of my friends talk to their sibling less often than once a month, and I don't hear them complaining about not being close to their siblings. Adults have poo poo going on in their lives, and it can be hard to stay in touch especially when you live in different places. I have people that I consider good friends (and I hope the feeling is mutual) that I talk to less often - you get together maybe a couple of times a year when you're in the same place, but otherwise only call/text/email each other occasionally.

I don't know, it just sounds weird to me.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Shanghaied posted:

Did she even really check out? They talk monthly. I don't have siblings, but some of my friends talk to their sibling less often than once a month, and I don't hear them complaining about not being close to their siblings. Adults have poo poo going on in their lives, and it can be hard to stay in touch especially when you live in different places. I have people that I consider good friends (and I hope the feeling is mutual) that I talk to less often - you get together maybe a couple of times a year when you're in the same place, but otherwise only call/text/email each other occasionally.

I don't know, it just sounds weird to me.

She seems to think she did. He's doing all the work in their relationship and she's not doing anything in return. like they talk but I guarantee he's the one who calls every time.

duck trucker
Oct 14, 2017

YOSPOS

If they're truly raging alcoholics and you have an open bar then your "do not serve" list is going to do jack poo poo.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Pope Corky the IX posted:

It’s already been changed you oaf.

The new avatar is very good btw

DemoneeHo posted:

AITA for not inviting my eldest brother to my wedding.

This reads a lot like "it is everyone's responsibility to come to me for social engagement"

selec
Sep 6, 2003

Guy who wants to exclude five specific people from drinking is the rear end in a top hat. Let’s game this out. First of all:

quote:

I told them that I am tired of having to plan ahead for people's addictions and all of them are capable of not drinking alcohol.

If this was true, you would either have a dry wedding, or one with booze but no “except for these five people” list

So what he’s got set up now is

-Bartenders who now have to be cops, and aren’t getting paid to do that. They’re paid to serve drinks and maybe card people. Policing OP’s family is not in any bartender’s job description. That’s what security is for, which it sounds like they have.

-So if these people are alcoholics, they will be drinking at this event. Whether that’s having someone else get their drinks for them or bringing their own, no alcoholic is just gonna white knuckle their way through it. It is not within the realm of reasonable expectations that this plan will prevent the potential problem guests from drinking.

-Again, if they are alcoholics, the act of excluding them is going to create as much or more drama when they’re sober, and then even more when they inevitably get drunk (and smug for outsmarting the world’s dumbest plan)

-everybody else is going to remember the rules, and the drama that came from them, more than they would the person being asked to leave or being escorted out if they overdrink.

Your wedding isn’t a kindergarten class. You are going to create a weird loving vibe for everyone with this plan!

Shanghaied
Oct 12, 2004

BIG PAD

DoubleNegative posted:

quote:

I’ve gone and spent thousands having this looked into and the better part of our 1 year relationship. I’ve been to the chiropractor, seen 2 different ear nose and throat doctors and have tried countless over the counter remedies to no avail. 

Having what looked into lmao? And why are you going to ENT specialists of all people lol?

You can buy a lot of amphetamine with "thousands", just saying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I guess the ENT may be able to detect sleep apnea