Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I first went in 2022, which from what I've heard was a down year because they lost some planned licenses last minute. I really wanted to see TLOU last year but I imagine it will be back for season 2 next year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
Last year was the first we missed because they hosed the tickets, especially for locals. Heard (maybe from here?) that even people that splurged for the premium express passes couldn't do it all in a night because of crowds and all.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
I did Sept 30 (Saturday night but locals blocked out) and did 8/10 houses without EP (skipped TLOU/Stranger Things because I didn’t care and wanted to see non house stuff too). I’d say the blockouts were good for the folks who aren’t local for that reason.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

why the gently caress is enchanto goint to AK instead of MK - Put zooptipia in AK fools!

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Upsidads posted:

why the gently caress is enchanto goint to AK instead of MK - Put zooptipia in AK fools!

Zootopia has been claimed by deviant art furries

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Upsidads posted:

Joe Rohde was vocally against it since it just uses animals as parallels for segments of humanity rather than as themselves. Obviously the animals of the Lion King are playing Hamlet, but they still live like animals in the African plains instead of lining up at Not-Starbucks.

I think we should call this the Shrek Threshold.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 20:24 on Apr 4, 2024

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
It's because the idea is to retheme Dinoland to "South America" which fits in line with the other major lands being Africa and Asia and Encanto... takes place in South America which is about as good of a justification as you'll get these days.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

No, but I found it, Part 1 at least

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFHCMmEi1s

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I would not be surprised if Zootopia is part of all the land they're clearing behind Big Thunder. Kind of hoping for an original thing, namely the villains concept, but I could see it.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

ACAB includes Judy Hopps.

I also would not be surprised if we got fuckin' Zootopia land, but I am hoping so very hard that they go full-blown villains poo poo instead. Please. Puh-leeeease.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.
If it was up to me I'd kill Liberty Square because it is trading on bicentennial fervor that is 50 years out of date and send Hall of Presidents to the graveyard with it for being boring. All the space except Haunted Mansion gets reclaimed by Fantasyland and build something there, a Tangled dark ride maybe, the inexplicably themed rest area is right there. Haunted Mansion and Frontierland get turned into an Americana land, fill in Rivers of America except for the loop around Tom Sawyer island and it's got space to grow, which is great, you can do like a '60s-ish art deco pop area and put an Incredibles ride there eventually. Then you take the space between it's a small world and Haunted Mansion and build upwards, using the already spooky Haunted Mansion to transition into Dark Fantasyland.

CapnAndy fucked around with this message at 23:02 on Apr 4, 2024

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Make hall of presidents part of the mansion queue.

Look at all these dead jerks.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

Zootopia graveyard

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Haunted Mansion would be the perfect transition between lighthearted/kid-friendly Fantasyland and a scary villains-themed land.

But also, which villains would get their own attractions? The last true villain was what, Dr. Facilier? The last few movies haven't had traditional villains like Cruella, Jafar, Scar, Hades, etc.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Omne posted:

Haunted Mansion would be the perfect transition between lighthearted/kid-friendly Fantasyland and a scary villains-themed land.

But also, which villains would get their own attractions? The last true villain was what, Dr. Facilier? The last few movies haven't had traditional villains like Cruella, Jafar, Scar, Hades, etc.
Maleficent is a layup.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

Last year was the first we missed because they hosed the tickets, especially for locals. Heard (maybe from here?) that even people that splurged for the premium express passes couldn't do it all in a night because of crowds and all.

The ticket situation was kind of the opposite of that. The Rush of Fear (September) passes included weekends for like, $289, so it led to HHN effectively being a local hangout five nights a week (There's always a ton of teens but that September was definitely the most I'd ever seen consistently). Add in the draw of Stranger Things, TLOU, and Chucky (I remember chatting with more than a handful of people who came for Chucky), and it was a recipe for insane crowds. I went back in late October and it was much slower. By the last week of the season, it was effectively just locals who bought ultimate Frequent Fear passes and it was dead (for horror nights).

There was a lot about last year that was really weird. A lot of the people I hang with were saying it was tik tok basically giving away all the secrets (its slower after midnight, purchase after 11 express, show up early for scream early to bang out more houses, etc.) but I don't think it was that. There were just so many people there every night. I've only been going annually since 25 and this was my 10th HHN overall, but I'd never seen anything like that. There was at least one night where I was there at 115am, and the majority of the houses were at a visible 45-60 minute wait. I don't think the crowds will be as high this year and feel free to throw rotten eggs at me if I'm wrong (please don't). Last year felt like a perfect storm. I think we may get pockets of dates where it's very busy like any other year, but I would expect crowds to be more evenly spread out.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

The passes also sold out, right? Iirc we couldn't even get them, which was what I was getting at. A friend went 3 seperate times with a regular ticket and didn't get to see it all.

Akileese
Feb 6, 2005

Bottom Liner posted:

The passes also sold out, right? Iirc we couldn't even get them, which was what I was getting at. A friend went 3 seperate times with a regular ticket and didn't get to see it all.

I'm not sure they sold out in the traditional sense, they pulled them a few days before October 1st so people who had ROF and wanted to upgrade couldn't. It all felt very calculated as a way to get crowds under control.

Three times is...a lot. I know everyone has different levels of stamina, but for an event that runs for about 8 hours every night, they absolutely should have been able to see all 10 houses and the show if they wanted to do. I'll admit I'm an HHN veteran and have a good eye for reading crowd flows, but I did it with my kid in October in about 8 hours in the park. The longest thing we waited for was, I believe, ST4 at about 90 minutes. That absolutely blows for your friend. If I had 3 separate admissions and couldn't see all 10 houses, I'd probably never go back.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Akileese posted:

That absolutely blows for your friend. If I had 3 separate admissions and couldn't see all 10 houses, I'd probably never go back.

Yeah, he was super bummed as its his favorite event of the year. He also liked to try a bunch of the food and hang in the scare zones and stuff, which eats up a lot of time too. Even in 22 we waited 2+ hours a few times, and saw signs over 180m frequently. I think they just have to cut capacity or add a hefty amount of stuff for the event to get back to tolerable.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Maleficent is a layup.

Chapek too

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy
Heard a rumor that this HHN might have 12 houses. The last few years have had 10. If true that's really insane.

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

For recent villains I guess there’s Hans, but that easter egg sign in the queue in the Frozen ride pretty much establishes that he’s been gotten rid of.

Hades was a fantastic villain but James Woods is such a toxic piece of poo poo I can’t imagine Disney wants anything to do with him.

Millennials and Gen Z love Yzma and Kronk, but neither of them could anchor a villain land because they’re too goofy.

Cassandra and Varian from the Tangled series would be cool to see but they’re probably way too obscure.

I think Maleficent or Chernobog would be the best bet.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

If it was up to me I'd kill Liberty Square because it is trading on bicentennial fervor that is 50 years out of date

Yeah, that's fine, I'd miss Liberty Tree Tavern but I'd live. I-

quote:

and send Hall of Presidents to the graveyard with it for being boring.

A sob sob sob sob sob :smith:

Can we instead send Hall of Presidents over to American Adventure, kill the current American Adventure show, and make Hall of Presidents the show in there instead? Can we do that? Because I'm game for that.

quote:

Haunted Mansion and Frontierland get turned into an Americana land, fill in Rivers of America except for the loop around Tom Sawyer island and it's got space to grow, which is great, you can do like a '60s-ish art deco pop area and put an Incredibles ride there eventually. Then you take the space between it's a small world and Haunted Mansion and build upwards, using the already spooky Haunted Mansion to transition into Dark Fantasyland.

I'm fine with everything except for Incredibles ride. That feels too Six Flags-y.

Honestly if they went full-blown Kingdom Hearts-type villains cult trying to ruin the magic kingdom I would be so incredibly down for that. Have a recruiting station for all the little children. Rehash it's good to be bad from MNSSHP. All that kind of fun stuff. As far as rides, I always assumed a couple of movie-based dark rides and a Maleficient themed dragon coaster that's like, Cosmic Rewind thriller level. But given how Maleficient dragon-themed things tend to catch on fire, I dunno.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

Give me a Flight of Passage style ride where you ride Pegasus to battle Hades and the Titans

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007

Yzma without Eartha Kit is criminal
Where's the og Pete love
Chernobog is such a fun name
Queen of Hearts could be fun too

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Hall of presidents should be killed bc gently caress those assholes tbh lol

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Make the riverboat be the home of the evil lady from The Rescuers

Or bring in the evil poacher from Rescuers Down Under and he tries to trap you

Cruella Car Ride like Mr Toad’s Wild Ride

Hide some deep cuts like Black Cauldron and Rattigan

I’d even take a Prince John and Sir Hiss

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Hazo posted:

Millennials and Gen Z love Yzma and Kronk, but neither of them could anchor a villain land because they’re too goofy.
They couldn't anchor a land, but they could certainly anchor a "labratory tour" that turns into a mine-cart ride when Kronk pulls the wrong lever.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The real villain of Emperor's New Groove is Kuzco.

Fartington Butts
Jan 21, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

They couldn't anchor a land, but they could certainly anchor a "labratory tour" that turns into a mine-cart ride when Kronk pulls the wrong lever.

Just sell some spinach puffs out of a kiosk with a drink called Yzma’s Poison

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Fartington Butts posted:

Just sell some spinach puffs out of a kiosk with a drink called Yzma’s Poison
I don't want Yzma's Poison, I want Kuzco's poison, the poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco.

That's the poison I want.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

CapnAndy posted:

Kuzco's poison, the poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco.

And this is how it should be listed on the menu

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Honestly if they went full-blown Kingdom Hearts-type villains cult trying to ruin the magic kingdom I would be so incredibly down for that.

That’s just Fantasmic :v:

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

And this is how it should be listed on the menu
oh absolutely. And Llama Potion can be the non-alcoholic version.

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

CapnAndy posted:

I don't want Yzma's Poison, I want Kuzco's poison, the poison for Kuzco, the poison chosen specifically to kill Kuzco.

That's the poison I want.

If they don't actively make that three different drinks, I'd be so sad.

Hazo posted:

That’s just Fantasmic :v:

:3: I do love fantasmic

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.

C. Everett Koop posted:

Peltz was an avatar for Ike Perlmutter, the former Marvel chief who only wanted white men to be in their movies and loved penny-pinching to a ridiculous degree, with the obvious exception of all the money he can give to Trump.

Makes sense a comic company would be ran by a cartoon villain.

A friend of mine is someone who used to work for a high profile film site and was sent to press junkets and apparently the Marvel ones were so cheap because of Perlmutter. The junkets are usually to butter up citics and get them to like your film, but he was apparently servicing them half a Subway sandwich and a small bag of chips like a school outing. Pinching Pennies was his second favorite thing besides hating black people and women. He's mad that he got booted out of Marvel by Iger and Feige and roped Peltz in to get back into the company. Glad they fell flat on their face.

Coasterphreak
May 29, 2007
I like cookies.

SweetMercifulCrap! posted:

Heard a rumor that this HHN might have 12 houses. The last few years have had 10. If true that's really insane.

Nope, official announcement says ten houses and five zones.

Realistically, they’d probably up it to increase capacity if they could, but there’s two problems: creative now has to design, build, and detail two more houses, and frankly there’s just nowhere to put them and still have space for queue lines without clogging up the main walkways even more.

You gotta keep in mind, they may keep some of the big set pieces when they reuse a house year-to-year, but otherwise everything has to get rebuilt each year since those houses take a beating, especially the outdoor ones.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

Make the entire park one long queue that snakes through all zones and houses with exit/entry points into the food/chill zones.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The two extra houses rumor came from Fast and Furious supposedly being closed through the whole event.

It’s probably just because the ride sucks and it can save money not running though.

(I am disappointed, inducting new friends into that ride is a rite of passage.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TelevisedInsanity
Dec 19, 2008

"You'll never know if you can fly unless you take the risk of falling."

Aphrodite posted:

The two extra houses rumor came from Fast and Furious supposedly being closed through the whole event.

It’s probably just because the ride sucks and it can save money not running though.

(I am disappointed, inducting new friends into that ride is a rite of passage.)

I love six actors dancing in the hologram and then we go straight into Cruisin USA but with wind and fog effects