Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

The Grumbles posted:

Is there an elaborate/camp in-universe explanation for why the sentinels are all designed to look like big buff dudes

Would you rather they look like scrawny wimps?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Dawgstar posted:

Nah, Spidey doesn't value money so it creeps Tony out.

Spider-Man tried to join the Fantastic Four because he thought he’d get paid.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wasn't the breaking point the whole Superior Spidey thing? I can't recall him being on a team past that point, but to be fair, I haven't really read Spider-Man or Avengers with any great regularity since, either

The last time I can recall him being on a Avengers team as an active member(rather than just the reserve membership he's technically had since I think the 80's) was the first issue or so of that brief run where Deadpool was funding the team and he almost immediately quit it and that was like the better part of a decade ago

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Marriage Night posted:

Spider-Man tried to join the Fantastic Four because he thought he’d get paid.

Not valuing money and wanting to make money are not mutually exclusive. Peter wants money of course because he needs it, but he doesn't place any value on it other than what it can do for him in the moment to help him live his life. So him constantly looking for ways to make money and asking various teams for pay doesn't conflict with the idea that he doesn't value it the way someone like Stark does.

X-O fucked around with this message at 13:01 on Apr 4, 2024

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
I think it's more in the spirit of what they're trying to do with the character to say Parker doesn't value getting rich, and more generally is notoriously bad with money. But he's not, like, a hippie.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

OnimaruXLR posted:

Wasn't the breaking point the whole Superior Spidey thing? I can't recall him being on a team past that point, but to be fair, I haven't really read Spider-Man or Avengers with any great regularity since, either

He was on the team circa 2016-2018 when Mark Waid was writing it. Parker Industries was even bankrolling the team for a little while before it went under.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Deniz Camp, the new writer of Ultimates did an interesting interview with CBR on what exactly the series would be and one part really caught my eye.

quote:

Turning our attention more fully toward the new Ultimates series, the last time we saw most of these characters they were barely dodging an orbital strike aimed at their faces. Where do we find them as this series kicks off? We know they want to destroy the Maker's council. How are they going about that, and how does that inform the story's framework?

Right; they've traveled six months into the future to escape death. In that time, the Maker's council has consolidated power and taken control of the narrative. The world believes the Ultimates were responsible for the destruction of Stark tower, and the murder of thousands. That's a bit of where the inversion comes in; in the original Ultimates, they were fighting terrorists. Our Ultimates *are* the terrorists.

Or, at least, they're perceived to be.

Their basic mission is to overthrow the council and prepare the world for whatever is going to emerge from the Maker's time-accelerated City in 18 months. To do that they plan to form an "Ultimates resistance network", the exact concept/mechanics behind which will be spelled out in the first issue.

But what I can say is that every issue will be a complete, done-in-one story, and almost every issue is going to introduce a new version of a classic Marvel character.

18 months to build the Marvel Universe and free the world. No pressure.

That tracks with the mission presented in Ultimate Universe #1 where they retrieve one of Maker's vaults and then send the spider to Peter in Ultimate Spider-Man #1 but I like that the really are going to follow up on that. Having each issue be a one and done story and birthing a new character into the world will be a cool take on it. Obviously building alongside the other books towards that point where Maker re-emerges.

srypher
Jun 3, 2011

Really?
I really enjoyed Children of the Vault so looking forward to his ultimates book

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

That actually sounds really cool. Kind of in line with classic Fantastic Four with building out a lot of the universe.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I am curious, as a new X-comics reader.

We all have that sort of cultural osmosis of Xavier vs. Magneto. But in no adaptation that I'm aware of have they really gone into Xavier making moral compromises. This is something exclusive to the comics and I'm wondering just how common it is? Is it something fans remember precisely because it is so rare or does him doing ethically questionable things happen on the semi-regular?

Basically, which is more common, Magneto acts just straight up evil, or Xavier does something evil/morally dubious?

Alaois
Feb 7, 2012

Xavier morally compromises himself every 15 minutes or so after a certain point in the comics

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Alaois posted:

Xavier morally compromises himself every 15 minutes or so after a certain point in the comics

After Ultimate X-Men for sure.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

We all have that sort of cultural osmosis of Xavier vs. Magneto. But in no adaptation that I'm aware of have they really gone into Xavier making moral compromises. This is something exclusive to the comics and I'm wondering just how common it is? Is it something fans remember precisely because it is so rare or does him doing ethically questionable things happen on the semi-regular?

Basically, which is more common, Magneto acts just straight up evil, or Xavier does something evil/morally dubious?

Xavier does morally dubious poo poo all the loving time. Either intentionally so or unintentionally so which a later author makes into text. (i.e: having a crush on Jean, faking his death, etc.)

Xavier kind of has the writing problem where people approach him as "the good saintly figure... so it's dramatic and rare where he goes past the line" except every single author does it so rather than being shocking and surprising it's more surprising when Xavier isn't a complete shitbird.

The adaptations usually go off the public perception of the character so "Good saintly Xavier" tends to get played up there.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Apr 4, 2024

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.

NikkolasKing posted:

In 2007-17 or so they have hit the Xavier thing fairly hard, either writing more compromising stuff or trying to make the character usable again despite all the compromising stuff. In the 10 years prior it was writers trying to have Magneto do progressively more evil things to undo him mostly being a hero in Claremont’s run. Then they just used him a lot less after House of M

AzureFlame
Nov 26, 2009

The Grumbles posted:

Is there an elaborate/camp in-universe explanation for why the sentinels are all designed to look like big buff dudes

They're made by human supremacist humans to "defend" humanity, they gotta look like a human.
The abs are so you know they're strong, it's the flame decal of giant robots.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Rick posted:

In 2007-17 or so they have hit the Xavier thing fairly hard, either writing more compromising stuff or trying to make the character usable again despite all the compromising stuff. In the 10 years prior it was writers trying to have Magneto do progressively more evil things to undo him mostly being a hero in Claremont’s run. Then they just used him a lot less after House of M

Funny you lis that timeframe since I am reading a Wolverine story from 2008 called Original Sin. It crosses over with X-Men Legacy which I'm told has a big focus on Xavier of the time, even outside of this arc.

Anyway, I got a new question. In preparation for diving into Krakoa, I was reading the classic 20 stories recommended thing. I was most intrigued by the mention of Magneto's greatest sin and his trial, from Uncanny 150 and 200. I'll get into that in a second, but Kitty at the time had a costume with an eye mask with these big..."wings." I feel like, wasn't that a popular design for female characters back in the day? I wanna say I remember Catwoman wearing something like that in Adam West Batman, as well as other vague memories of seeing older female hero costumes with it.

Am I right to say this used to be a popular design for women costumes? Is that a thing anymore or has it been phased out? It might be sexist. I figured the "wings" are kind supposed to be like sexy eyelashes. Eye masks on men, like Robin's, are just circles around the eyes.

Anyway, this was the first Claremont I ever read. I liked it a lot. The dialogue is very.... theatrical, and I like the descriptions of everything going on. Helpful with my awful eyesight.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Claremont's run up until the Australia era is one of my favorites. There's a lot of good stuff after that, but it gets more convoluted with crossovers and different people switching books constantly. I feel like up until Australia you can just read the main title without getting confused or anything.

Beerdeer
Apr 25, 2006

Frank Herbert's Dude
Started double shipping around then too so it gets either super dense or drawn out alternately

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Air Skwirl posted:

Claremont's run up until the Australia era is one of my favorites. There's a lot of good stuff after that, but it gets more convoluted with crossovers and different people switching books constantly. I feel like up until Australia you can just read the main title without getting confused or anything.

That's fair. Though I wouldn't skip New Mutants.

Spacebump fucked around with this message at 05:17 on Apr 5, 2024

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck

Rick posted:

I think Onslaught was the big impetus for Chuck being some sort of morally compromised manipulator. He did some untoward stuff before that, but there are justifications for some of those, eg: faking his own death (it was the Silver Age!); sleeping with one of his patients (being very upfront about how he shouldn't have done that); lusting after one of his students (it was the Silver Age!) But from Onslaught through to Deadly Genesis (I say having not read much of the late 90s stuff), it seems like pretty much every story featuring Charles is about some big plan or secret he's hiding from somebody.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

I think it was Deadly Genesis that got the ball rolling on that and then it seemed like writers would try and up each other on how terrible Xavier really was. Then they killed him off and it was kind of a mercy killing at that point.

Now we're back to Xavier being a jerk though I'm more optimistic this will lead to the end of those stories and we'll eventually get good Xavier back.

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I feel like the Xavier/Magneto dichotomy is kinda played out at this point, especially with Xavier's moral credentials being washed for a looong time now and with Magneto having fully shifted back into antihero at worst mode.

It'll be interesting to see if Apocalypse shifts into an actually viable mutant alternative after Krakoa ends or if he's gonna go right back to "Everybody should kill everybody else and keep doing it until I'm satisfied with who's left"

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

OnimaruXLR posted:

I feel like the Xavier/Magneto dichotomy is kinda played out at this point, especially with Xavier's moral credentials being washed for a looong time now and with Magneto having fully shifted back into antihero at worst mode.

It'll be interesting to see if Apocalypse shifts into an actually viable mutant alternative after Krakoa ends or if he's gonna go right back to "Everybody should kill everybody else and keep doing it until I'm satisfied with who's left"

Well there is that Heir of Apocalypse series coming up to consider as well.

Cable has to win simply for the supreme irony, I'd think. Although I'm curious how X-23/Laura got into the running. Maybe I need to read some of her more recent stuff.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

Am I going mad, or does Cap in the latest Uncanny Avengers series have a robot arm like Bucky?

If I'm not being a moron, what's the story there? He didn't & doesn't have one in the recent Cap series...

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
His arm got twisted and broken by "Captain Krakoa" in issue 1. The metal thing just braces it. :eng101:

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

NikkolasKing posted:

Am I right to say this used to be a popular design for women costumes? Is that a thing anymore or has it been phased out? It might be sexist. I figured the "wings" are kind supposed to be like sexy eyelashes. Eye masks on men, like Robin's, are just circles around the eyes.

Probably, yeah. Domino masks have their origins in Venetian carnival masks which also range from simple black numbers to more flamboyant affairs.

DigitalRaven
Oct 9, 2012

BrianWilly posted:

His arm got twisted and broken by "Captain Krakoa" in issue 1. The metal thing just braces it. :eng101:

D'oh. Of course that's what happened... I think I was thrown by it being drawn so much like Bucky's old arm.

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

Probably inspired by the Larsontastic metal arm cast Spidey got in the 90’s.

glitchwraith
Dec 29, 2008

I think they specifically say it's the same tech as Bucky's arm.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

glitchwraith posted:

I think they specifically say it's the same tech as Bucky's arm.

Did Bucky get a new arm any time soon? Because you'd think Cap knows someone that could make him something better than 60 year old Soviet tech.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Air Skwirl posted:

Did Bucky get a new arm any time soon? Because you'd think Cap knows someone that could make him something better than 60 year old Soviet tech.

Yes in the last Cap series he got a new arm. Still using it as of the recent Thunderbolts mini by the same writing team.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
Bucky has a t1000 arm now

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

I've caught up on Marvel Unlimited with Black Panther, Avengers, Avengers Inc, Punisher, Daredevil, Fantastic Four, She-Hulk, Incredible Hulk, Captain America, Carnage, Thunderbolts, and Immortal Thor.

Planning on reading Doctor Strange and maybe Iron Man, but was wondering if there are any other interesting ongoings I overlooked?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

https://x.com/GailSimone/status/1770526021005226406

quote:

Gail Simone 💙💛
·
Mar 20, 2024
@GailSimone
·
Follow
I think of all the weird conspiracy posts I've seen, my favorite might be all the ones about how Marvel is FORCING us to match the movies and tv shows.

No. :)

We spoke once for two minutes last week about the animated show (to say Tom liked it). No movie talk at all.

1/
Gail Simone 💙💛
@GailSimone
·
Follow
I get that it's fun to have those discussions, it's not a big deal.

But we haven't had a single conversation, not one, about matching up to anything like that.

But we DID have a discussion about Gambit's cats.

end/

I don't understand this. What external factor would even motivate them to abandon Krakoa? There are no recent and popular X-Men movies for them to try and emulate.

Are they trying to emulate '97 at all? How would they even go about doing that?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The Fall of Krakoa was baked into the original pitch. A lot of stuff has changed since then but based on interviews with Hickman it's lasted longer than the original plan already.

Roth
Jul 9, 2016

The Krakoa status quo lasted for five years that's extremely impressive

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

NikkolasKing posted:

I don't understand this. What external factor would even motivate them to abandon Krakoa? There are no recent and popular X-Men movies for them to try and emulate.

I mean, there will eventually be a MCU X-Men movie and it definitely won't be on Krakoa, but yeah that certainly wouldn't motivate them to pull the plug now.

There's a lot of things you can point to in comics and say "oh they did that because of the movies" (see: the rapid death and resurrection of Ms. Marvel as officially totally a mutant) but the fall of Krakoa definitely isn't one of them.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

TwoPair posted:

There's a lot of things you can point to in comics and say "oh they did that because of the movies" (see: the rapid death and resurrection of Ms. Marvel as officially totally a mutant) but the fall of Krakoa definitely isn't one of them.

That one is funny because she was only an Inhuman in the first place for movie tie-in purposes. Disney didn't have the movie rights to X-Men at the time and they were trying to make Inhumans their equivalent (which was shut down by the incredibly terrible TV show). G Willow Wilson originally pitched her as a mutant.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Air Skwirl posted:

That one is funny because she was only an Inhuman in the first place for movie tie-in purposes. Disney didn't have the movie rights to X-Men at the time and they were trying to make Inhumans their equivalent (which was shut down by the incredibly terrible TV show). G Willow Wilson originally pitched her as a mutant.

Full circle, baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Incidentally also why Squirrel Girl got retconned to not be a mutant anymore(though they still haven't really explained what she actually is now)