Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Sunk Dunk posted:

The majority of characters in these games are predators so singling out teddy there doesn’t make a lot of sense to me

Yeah, good lord, are all the bathhouse scenes not predatory or something?

I think some of Teddie's behavior is predatory, but mostly in the way that dumbass highschool boys' behavior usually is. That doesn't make it good or something that shouldn't be corrected, but it's true to life, for better or for worse.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Apr 4, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I mean, Yosuke is absolutely also a predator, if you think he's being left out. And plenty of other characters do bad poo poo, but no one else is on their level.

and I understand the intention behind Teddie's character; I am saying that they failed to write that and wrote a predator instead. Most characters in Persona 4 horribly fail at what they are supposed to be.

E:

Majorian posted:

I think some of Teddie's behavior is predatory, but mostly in the way that dumbass highschool boys' behavior usually is. That doesn't make it good or something that shouldn't be corrected, but it's true to life, for better or for worse.

You spend a year with him where he's consistently being told to knock that poo poo off, and he doesn't relent in the least. That is the part that is actually bad, if he acted even slightly less predatory towards the end of the story, he'd be an entirely different character. Actual children have a much better understanding of boundaries than he does.

Zulily Zoetrope fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Apr 4, 2024

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
teddie’s a predator in that he’s always pre-dating

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

Nothing is worse than an argument between people who agree on the basic facts and just disagree on what word to use to describe it.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I wouldn't call them "basic facts."

Zokari
Jul 23, 2007

let's all make sure the cartoon bear is appropriately shamed for his toxic behavior

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Actual children have a much better understanding of boundaries than he does.

I don't know how many children you've met, but, uh...no they don't. Not unless you explain it to them. The boundaries really aren't effectively explained to Teddie at any point in the game. IIRC the most pushback he gets from the female characters in the game is the sort of "Ewww, as if!" eye-rolling that you see in high school animes, teen comedies, JRPGs, etc. No one ever says to him, "You're making me uncomfortable" or "You can't act that way towards women; you're coming off as a creep."

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

I don't know how many children you've met, but, uh...no they don't. Not unless you explain it to them. The boundaries really aren't effectively explained to Teddie at any point in the game. IIRC the most pushback he gets from the female characters in the game is the sort of "Ewww, as if!" eye-rolling that you see in high school animes, teen comedies, JRPGs, etc. No one ever says to him, "You're making me uncomfortable" or "You can't act that way towards women; you're coming off as a creep."

The kind of unfortunate thing related to this is that everyone's reaction to Yousuke's worst transgressions is basically the same as their reaction to Teddie. I've seen people say "the rest of the party realizes Yousuke is being an rear end in a top hat to Kanji," but that's not actually true. They never actually disagree with Yousuke - they just think Yousuke is being immature for bringing that stuff up.

My general impression is that they view stuff like "Kanji being interested in Naoto" (before Naoto revealing she's a girl), or anything implying Kanji might be gay*, as "a way Kanji is weird, but that they're willing to overlook because he's their friend." So they're not really accepting of those things so much as they tolerate them and still view him as a friend "despite him being weird."

* I know he's not, but the story gives the impression that the rest of the party still thinks he might be (or that he's just "weird" for acting like he is)

Arist posted:

You can disagree with how funny it is but nah

"Sometimes" no, basically always, that is the core joke

Yeah I feel like people have some weird distorted memory of this stuff

Basically what ImpAtom says here:

ImpAtom posted:

The thing is that, no, he isn't. Like Teddie says those things but there's nothing actually behind them. He is painted as too 'innocent' to really get what he's asking for and comes across as trying to mimic humanity more than he is actually being human. (Which is, again, intentional.) Teddie is annoying as poo poo and I don't think the joke is funny, but the entire premise of the guy is that he really doesn't understand what it means to be human and he's doing his best to mimic what he thinks humanity is. He has other dialogue which makes it pretty clear he isn't really even sure what sex is.

Like the basic premise of the character is that he's an empty hollow mascot suit trying to appeal to humans. He's annoying as poo poo and 'acts like a pervert unknowingly' isn't particularly any more funny than 'acts like a pervert knowingly' but there's no actual indication at any point that Teddie is anything but a big dumb child.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Apr 4, 2024

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Majorian posted:

Pretty much. The joke is specifically that he keeps talking about 'scoring" and Yukiko is always vaguely offended by it, insisting "can we PLEASE stop talking about scoring." Because of course it all started with Shadow Yukiko talking about "scoring a hot stud."

But at no point does anybody tell Teddie what "scoring" means in this context, or why it makes Yukiko uncomfortable.

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!

Zokari posted:

let's all make sure the cartoon bear is appropriately shamed for his toxic behavior

#CancelTeddie

Stagger_Lee
Mar 25, 2009
i despise his words and deeds

DemoneeHo
Nov 9, 2017

Come on hee-ho, just give us 300 more macca

And this is why Koromaru remains the best mascot.

He's just a good dog who doesn't talk.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
And his loving feet make a squeaking sound when he runs.

neonchameleon
Nov 14, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Again, Teddie is portrayed as functionally a child. Like not in a 'this is subtext' way, he acts like and is treated as a child and has a child's view of the world. He does inappropriate things because he was functionally born five seconds before the game began. Portraying that as 'a predator' implies a level of maturity and capability that isn't really present in the character. He's not even on the level of Morgana who is at least portrayed as a functional human being outside of being a cat. The jokes aren't funny but Teddie is literally (as in this is something the game points out) basically on the same mental level as Nanako.

The jokes aren't funny because the writers are putting a childlike character in those positions so they can write cheap jokes, but the character themself is just a dumbass child-bear.

The problem is that for all the text of the game intends to be as you say. Teddie doesn't behave the way an actual innocent trying to learn human behaviour works does; an actual innocent would learn after about the fifth time that Yukiko told him to stop doing that that he should stop doing that. The way Teddie is written on the other hand is note-pefect for a predator who uses childlike behaviour to excuse predatory behaviour because that is what the authors are actually doing. Both readings are legitimate; the author's intent is what you claim it is but there's a writing skill issue that means that that's not how a lot of people actually read it.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Some of you have never interacted with a child and it shows.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro

DemoneeHo posted:

And this is why Koromaru remains the best mascot.

He's just a good dog who doesn't talk.

Aigis is the Mascot and she also doesn’t understand boundaries either. Guess Morgana is best by default?

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

Ytlaya posted:

The kind of unfortunate thing related to this is that everyone's reaction to Yousuke's worst transgressions is basically the same as their reaction to Teddie. I've seen people say "the rest of the party realizes Yousuke is being an rear end in a top hat to Kanji," but that's not actually true. They never actually disagree with Yousuke - they just think Yousuke is being immature for bringing that stuff up.

My general impression is that they view stuff like "Kanji being interested in Naoto" (before Naoto revealing she's a girl), or anything implying Kanji might be gay*, as "a way Kanji is weird, but that they're willing to overlook because he's their friend." So they're not really accepting of those things so much as they tolerate them and still view him as a friend "despite him being weird."

* I know he's not, but the story gives the impression that the rest of the party still thinks he might be (or that he's just "weird" for acting like he is)

Yeah, and in all honesty, those clumsy interactions and not-fully-fleshed-out views of the world feels very true-to-life for high school kids in that era. Hell, I graduated from HS six years before P4 came out, and the way the characters interact feels familiar to my own experience. I know it sounds like a cop-out (and to some degree, it is), but 2008 really was a different time, especially in media. What was considered at the time to be an acceptable way for men and boys to talk about women and girls is not the same as it is now. I still like movies like "Superbad," (also from 2008) but holy hell, is that movie from a completely different era!

The point is, these rough edges are part of what I like about P4. To me, the main party characters feel more grounded than those of the other Persona games. High school kids say and do and believe some dumbass, cringe things. Everyone at that age feels like a dork who is constantly saying the wrong thing, and everyone feels like they're the only one. That's a major theme in the game: everyone that you save from their shadows feels like they're the only one going through what they're experiencing, and they're really not. They learn from their cringey, embarrassing experiences, and most of them learn and grow from them.

I get saying that Teddie doesn't grow ENOUGH over the course of the game, and to some extent I agree. But he still has some pretty good character growth IMO. I love the scene at the beach between him and Yu, where he gets his final Persona upgrade, and he talks about how he's grown to love learning about the world and seeking out new experiences. My son is turning one year old a week from tomorrow, and I'm so incredibly excited to show him as much of the world as I possibly can. The way that Teddie develops as a character helps me put into words why that's so exciting: I get to look at the world with new eyes. I get to foster in him a love of learning and a hunger to experience all that life has to offer. I get to celebrate his successes with him and help him learn from his mistakes. Maybe someday he'll be braver than me, and won't be as held back by fear of making mistakes as I often am.:)

neonchameleon posted:

The problem is that for all the text of the game intends to be as you say. Teddie doesn't behave the way an actual innocent trying to learn human behaviour works does; an actual innocent would learn after about the fifth time that Yukiko told him to stop doing that that he should stop doing that.

Not trying to be snarky here; genuinely asking, if someone has a better memory than I do: are there five times that Yukiko tells him to stop doing that? I'm replaying the game right now, and it feels like those responses from her are pretty rare. It's far more often the non-specific "Can we stop talking about scoring?" type of response, as NikkolasKing pointed out. And even those responses from her don't seem that common.

Majorian fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Apr 4, 2024

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Majorian posted:

Yeah, and in all honesty, those clumsy interactions and not-fully-fleshed-out views of the world feels very true-to-life for high school kids in that era. Hell, I graduated from HS six years before P4 came out, and the way the characters interact feels familiar to my own experience. I know it sounds like a cop-out (and to some degree, it is), but 2008 really was a different time, especially in media. What was considered at the time to be an acceptable way for men and boys to talk about women and girls is not the same as it is now. I still like movies like "Superbad," (also from 2008) but holy hell, is that movie from a completely different era!

This is also true, but kind of runs into the belief a lot of people have that characters in fiction need to either behave morally all the time or have their immoral/problematic behaviors directly condemned or punished by the narrative.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't really think we need to treat the annoying bear who acts like a child like a sex offender, that seems useless to me

Majorian posted:

Not trying to be snarky here; genuinely asking, if someone has a better memory than I do: are there five times that Yukiko tells him to stop doing that? I'm replaying the game right now, and it feels like those responses from her are pretty rare. It's far more often the non-specific "Can we stop talking about scoring?" type of response, as NikkolasKing pointed out. And even those responses from her don't seem that common.

Also, yeah, the reason the "scoring" thing bothers Yukiko is because it's embarrassing to be reminded about her Midnight Channel appearance, and Teddie's mostly bringing it up to inquire about what it means

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Thinking back on it, all the direct lines I can remember ("no one is enjoying this," "you're just making him uncomfortable," that one about consent, etc.) are all aimed at Yosuke. I can't recall anyone sitting Teddie down and telling him specifically why and how he should stop harassing his friends, I'll grant that.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

I was gonna make an "I learned it from you, dad!" joke but then I remembered what a disappointment Goro must be to his dad.:smith:

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I mean, Yosuke is absolutely also a predator, if you think he's being left out.

I can give Teddie a pass for some things since he has a very tenuous grasp of what is and isn't socially acceptable and decent

Yosuke bought two swimsuits in secret for the explicit purpose of guilt tripping his two friends into wearing them, dude is a weirdo

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
(i'm largely skipping by posts just to make sure i don't catch accidental spoilers, apologies if i miss anything i should respond to)

i gotta say i'm instantly loving the dynamic between the characters in p4g. chie, yosuke and yukiko seem like they existed before i arrived and this little gang feels like... well a group of kids trying to solve a mystery. it's really cute (and honestly i think chie just owns completely)

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
i actually thought at the start yukiko was going to be the murderer or related to them somehow lol

obv that's not the case. i love her gag of the hyena laughing, she's such a little goofball

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Speaking of garbage characters that should be cancelled. Miyazaki is a piece of poo poo, and I am exceedingly disappointed in how much people faun over his movies.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Its because the movies are good

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

hatty posted:

Its because the movies are good

Only like two of them are actually good. And both of them, the manga is just straight better.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

Speaking of garbage characters that should be cancelled. Miyazaki is a piece of poo poo, and I am exceedingly disappointed in how much people faun over his movies.

embarrassing post

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Huh, I didn't expect to read any hot takes tonight but woo boy.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

tbp posted:

(i'm largely skipping by posts just to make sure i don't catch accidental spoilers, apologies if i miss anything i should respond to)

i gotta say i'm instantly loving the dynamic between the characters in p4g. chie, yosuke and yukiko seem like they existed before i arrived and this little gang feels like... well a group of kids trying to solve a mystery. it's really cute (and honestly i think chie just owns completely)

I got nothing against the later party members, but the OG 4 just can't be beaten. They're a vital part of why I love 4 more than any of the other Nu Persona games. Not only do the other three members have a lot of fun banter, Yu gets way better dialogue options than Minato from P3 ever did. Our great hero complaining about how his poor widdle finger hurts and Chie telling him not to cry is a very fond memory of my first run.

Glad you're having a great time and looking forward to reading more reports as you go along and see more.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 02:26 on Apr 5, 2024

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

miyazaki isn't "a piece of poo poo", but much like most creatives at atlus he's a kinda boring old guy. It was funny when anno and tomino razzed him over porco rosso

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
As obnoxious as Yosuke's 00's anime personality can be, at least he's not a Mineta from My Hero Academia.

ApplesandOranges
Jun 22, 2012

Thankee kindly.
Was it ever explained why Teddie had an ego and manifested at around that time, anyway.

Like maybe you can say that he spawned as a result of the first murder (when someone went into the TV world for the first time), but him looking the way he is and forgetting his identity feels like either perfect happenstance or just delibearately done.

If he didn’t happen to look like a bear and be a friendly person at the spot where Junes entered the tv world we would probably have 3 more dead teenagers a month into the game.

frytechnician
Jan 8, 2004

Happy to see me?

Majorian posted:

I know it sounds like a cop-out (and to some degree, it is), but 2008 really was a different time, especially in media. What was considered at the time to be an acceptable way for men and boys to talk about women and girls is not the same as it is now.

It seems there is an acceleration in "what's acceptable" in general each year, most of which makes sense. Growing up decades ago, I feel like there was always a perving scene in virtually every teen comedy movie, where guys would find a peep-hole into the girls locker room or whatever - poo poo like that - which would NO loving WAY get made today. And that isn't a complaint from me, it's just reflective of the type of comedy for the time. It's mostly in hindsight we say, "Hang on a second, that was actually pretty hosed up!" a few years later.

I watched Goldfinger (the Bond film, not the band) with my wife recently and there's this bit in the movie, which has aged.... well, you'll see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovXysYZTVzs

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Teddie should definitely be beaten up with sticks. Not reading why everyone is saying this but he's annoying.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

NikkolasKing posted:

Pretty much. The joke is specifically that he keeps talking about 'scoring" and Yukiko is always vaguely offended by it, insisting "can we PLEASE stop talking about scoring." Because of course it all started with Shadow Yukiko talking about "scoring a hot stud."

But at no point does anybody tell Teddie what "scoring" means in this context, or why it makes Yukiko uncomfortable.

Beavis is a pedophile. Let's cancel him

CullenDaGaDee
Aug 20, 2023

I got the will to drive myself sleepless
It's alright, life already took care of that.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
Beavis is actually quite un-woke if you really examine his behavior critically.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Majorian
Jul 1, 2009

frytechnician posted:

It seems there is an acceleration in "what's acceptable" in general each year, most of which makes sense. Growing up decades ago, I feel like there was always a perving scene in virtually every teen comedy movie, where guys would find a peep-hole into the girls locker room or whatever - poo poo like that - which would NO loving WAY get made today. And that isn't a complaint from me, it's just reflective of the type of comedy for the time. It's mostly in hindsight we say, "Hang on a second, that was actually pretty hosed up!" a few years later.

I watched Goldfinger (the Bond film, not the band) with my wife recently and there's this bit in the movie, which has aged.... well, you'll see - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ovXysYZTVzs

Hoo boy yeah. That was my favorite Bond movie as a kid. It took me way too long to realize that Bond full-on violently rapes Honor Blackman's written-as-lesbian character and the movie plays it off as a "corrective rape." Really makes the movie less fun when you realize that.:smith: