Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
If you're going to start calling supercritical fluid a liquid, there will be arguments.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

Sentient Data posted:

God drat it, and i bet that's just based on how circles pack instead of any kind of direct measurement. I figured it at least worked like how the metric A4/A5/etc size progression goes

Shotgun gauge works similarly. How many lead balls of this bore diameter to make a pound?

*except for .410 lol

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com
:roboluv: :love: :roboluv:
Is gak measured in solid or liquid kg?

VikingofRock
Aug 24, 2008

The real measurement gently caress-up was when the French revolutionaries decided to go with decimal for their new units of measure. They should have just moved everyone over to base 12, which is way easier to do math with because 12 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 6, instead of just 2 and 5 for 10.

A lot of customary units are vaguely 12-based for easy divisibility, so you can even keep those units mostly intact as you do the conversion. And a metric calendar would have gone over better, because they could have just shortened the work week by one day (for 6 total days = half of 12), which would likely be broadly popular.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I've mentioned before that my neighbors all have obnoxious home security systems that yell YOU ARE BEING RECORDED at you any time someone or something moves past the house on the sidewalk, but the person next door has now "upgraded" theirs so that it loudly and repeatedly beeps when their front door is open. Sounds like a smoke alarm going off and sometimes they leave it going for an hour.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Sentient Data posted:

Any time i work on a recipe, i convert everything to grams. Surprise banana bread muffin recipe time!

This recipe makes 48 muffins, divide it down to whatever amount you need.

874g mashed banana
602g granulated sugar
271g unsalted butter softened
268g beaten egg (white+yolk)
844g flour
18.63g baking soda (yes, i really do use a drug scale for cooking sub-gram precision for spices/etc)

Preheat the oven to 325f (162c) no fan. Use an oven thermometer to make sure the preheat is actually correct

Cream the butter and sugar together, when smooth add in the following order: egg, baking soda, banana, flour.

Fill cupcakes around 2/3 full, cook for 34 minutes total. Rotate the pans halfway through cooking

This may seem like a joke post, but no, the amounts are from a lot of experimentation and testing. Correct, there's no vanilla or even salt. Cook time/temp is accurate for an elevation of about 2000ft above sea level

:same: When I bake I'm using a food scale and therefore doing science, so everything is metric. Plus I don't want to gently caress with fractions.

doctorfrog
Mar 14, 2007

Great.

Dip Viscous posted:

I've mentioned before that my neighbors all have obnoxious home security systems that yell YOU ARE BEING RECORDED at you any time someone or something moves past the house on the sidewalk, but the person next door has now "upgraded" theirs so that it loudly and repeatedly beeps when their front door is open. Sounds like a smoke alarm going off and sometimes they leave it going for an hour.

I barely remember anything from David Brin's Earth novel (except that I didn't really like it), but of the few things I do remember, it's aged GenXers/Millenials being festooned with recording gear and constantly annoying teenagers by recording them at all times. That whole "willing and enthusiastic participant in the surveillance corporation/state" thing was a good call.

doctorfrog fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Apr 4, 2024

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!

VikingofRock posted:

The real measurement gently caress-up was when the French revolutionaries decided to go with decimal for their new units of measure. They should have just moved everyone over to base 12, which is way easier to do math with because 12 is divisible by 2, 3, 4, and 6, instead of just 2 and 5 for 10.

A lot of customary units are vaguely 12-based for easy divisibility, so you can even keep those units mostly intact as you do the conversion. And a metric calendar would have gone over better, because they could have just shortened the work week by one day (for 6 total days = half of 12), which would likely be broadly popular.

I'm personally a proponent of base 16, but keep in mind that people have 10 fingats.
Don't kid yourself, that's why we use base 10

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

base 12 is inferior to base 60, the ultimate gigachad number system

hot cocoa on the couch
Dec 8, 2009

more divisors = better. and thats just simple math

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

My annoyance with this discussion has hit 7.1 parsecs.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

hot cocoa on the couch posted:

base 12 is inferior to base 60, the ultimate gigachad number system

Sexagesimal. The Sumerians used it back in 3500 BC and passed it to the Babylonians and that's why there's 60 minutes in an hour and 60 seconds in a minute and all that poo poo with coordinates and angles.

Philthy
Jan 28, 2003

Pillbug
this is why i let alexa do my taxes

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
The irs does your taxes for you if you just consider the penalties to be their processing fee

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

carrionman posted:

Because I'm in a mood, I swear loving autocorrect is getting worse. Every time I write "home" it changes it to "hone"
Yet if I write "hellp" well that's clearly what I wanted, no one would ever start a message with any other word.

"Hellp, I'll be hone late today" just the dumbest poo poo.

It's definitely getting worse. One time, I was trying to write the word "history," and the only two words it offered were the n-word and the n-word pluralized. I've never written or said those words ever, but yeah, when I write "histor" it's pretty obvious that I mean to use a slur.

credburn
Jun 22, 2016
President, Founder of the Brent Spiner Fan Club
I know self checkout comes up a lot in this thread, but --

something else that sucks about them. Most of them have a volume icon you can push to mute it, so the entire store doesn't have to hear your business. But some self-checkouts, the "mute" button is a trick, and it in fact DOUBLES your volume! So now everyone can hear

ONE.

VEGETARIAN BEANS.

TWO FORTY-NINE.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
Your checkout actually narrates your shopping? That's nightmarish

Mine stays quiet unless it complains about something

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
every self-checkout i've seen does that by default

credburn posted:

I know self checkout comes up a lot in this thread, but --

something else that sucks about them. Most of them have a volume icon you can push to mute it, so the entire store doesn't have to hear your business. But some self-checkouts, the "mute" button is a trick, and it in fact DOUBLES your volume! So now everyone can hear

ONE.

VEGETARIAN BEANS.

TWO FORTY-NINE.

unexpected quote in posting area

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dip Viscous posted:

Call the fire department

Then call the cops (if they're not minorities/not at risk of being poo poo when they open the door)

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

Zamujasa posted:

every self-checkout i've seen does that by default

The one at my local store will say the price of each scanned item, but not what it is.

ProperCauldron
Oct 11, 2004

nah chill

Dip Viscous posted:

There's a couple of these by me and these neighbors all have pics of some random guy lifting his shirt and pointing at his dick.

Spoiler it's me I'm the dickpointer

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

Outrail posted:

Call the fire department

Then call the cops (if they're not minorities/not at risk of being poo poo when they open the door)

Cops won't come to this neighborhood, making the whole thing even stupider.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

Dip Viscous posted:

In that case, go gently caress it up yourself

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel
Can't say I've ever seen a self-checkout yell your purchases to everyone. I mean, I must have used 50 different ones in my life and not once has one ever shouted "ONE..... EXTRA SMALL CONDOM."

That kinds seems insane to me. They always say the price though.

And it doesn't make any sense anyway because some products have very long names so a human would actually have to program the voice to say something like "RED... HARVEST... LOW... CALORIE... LOW... SUGAR.... LOW... FAT.... SUSTAINABLY... HARVESTED... SOUTH... AMERICAN... JELLY... BEANS... 16... OUNCES..." or rather that's probably what it's listed as in their internal poo poo so someone would have to go back and change only the voice to say "Jelly beans" or something.

like, wtf? Never seen that in my life.

No, you scan and it says the price and you move on. I've never been able to scan anything while the thing is still talking so that would take for loving ever.

Time_pants
Jun 25, 2012

Now sauntering to the ring, please welcome the lackadaisical style of the man who is always doing something...

ProperCauldron posted:

There's a couple of these by me and these neighbors all have pics of some random guy lifting his shirt and pointing at his dick.

Spoiler it's me I'm the dickpointer

I was never this sort of person growing up, but I make a point of flipping off the surveillance camera whenever I use self-checkout. Here I am, trying to pay for poo poo, and they're taking what is essentially a contingency mugshot.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

Dip Viscous posted:

Sounds like resolving this issue just became a lot simpler

E:fb

hazardousmouse
Dec 17, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Retroreflective panels. They're very common, I'm surprised their use is limited enough in the US you identify them with Seattle.

In the original form in the UK they were made of aluminium with two beads facing each direction, giving you extra directionality. The part with the fragile reflectors was on a flexible base so it could push down into the road when something too heavy went over the top, so it didn't break as easily. And a little static rubber wiper meant every time they got pushed down they got wiped clean. Very durable, simple, well designed, low maintenance.

The upfront cost was a little bit more though so you don't see them in a lot of countries and instead they just use the plastic ones and replace them when they break.

We don't use those in the north cause they'll just get scraped off by plows every winter

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

Pennywise the Frown posted:

Can't say I've ever seen a self-checkout yell your purchases to everyone. I mean, I must have used 50 different ones in my life and not once has one ever shouted "ONE..... EXTRA SMALL CONDOM."

That kinds seems insane to me. They always say the price though.

And it doesn't make any sense anyway because some products have very long names so a human would actually have to program the voice to say something like "RED... HARVEST... LOW... CALORIE... LOW... SUGAR.... LOW... FAT.... SUSTAINABLY... HARVESTED... SOUTH... AMERICAN... JELLY... BEANS... 16... OUNCES..." or rather that's probably what it's listed as in their internal poo poo so someone would have to go back and change only the voice to say "Jelly beans" or something.

like, wtf? Never seen that in my life.

No, you scan and it says the price and you move on. I've never been able to scan anything while the thing is still talking so that would take for loving ever.

The ones at my store only announces the names of manually keyed stuff like produce, presumably to make it easier for employees to notice when someone is shoplifting by keying in everything as bananas.

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022

I am interested in most phases of data processing.
My dog rolled in fresh green deer poo poo today. This made him much shittier, but he probably had a good reason.

CitizenKain
May 27, 2001

That was Gary Cooper, asshole.

Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

My dog rolled in fresh green deer poo poo today. This made him much shittier, but he probably had a good reason.

Reason: is dog.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

cat botherer posted:

he could have ate some instead, and then throw it up in the house later

CitizenKain posted:

anonumos
Jul 14, 2005

Fuck it.

CitizenKain posted:

Checks out...

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Dip Viscous posted:

I might have posted ITT about this before but I have lived on my current street for 5 years and I have not had a single day where there isn't an alarm going off for no loving reason. This is one of the lowest crime areas for miles around, too.

The main culprit is a luxury custom-built car. The alarm goes off on this thing for no loving reason almost every day. The owner apparently can't turn it off without getting in and driving round the block, which he only sometimes does. Seriously, he gets in the car with the alarm still blaring and drives around until it stops. One time it was going off from 10pm at night until 11am the next morning and I did not get a moment's sleep. Me and my neighbours called the police about it, they turned up the next day shortly after it had been turned off. We've complained to the council but the owners are very rich so this goes completely ignored. Why he won't just get the loving thing fixed is beyond me.

There's also an empty building a few doors down which has an alarm. It's not as loud, it's quiet enough for me to sleep through it when it goes off, but again it goes off for apparently no reason at least once every couple of weeks. The police have never found any signs of forced entry or squatters living there or anything, it just goes off. It usually takes the owners at least three hours to turn up and turn it off.

And on top of that there are a few other cars that go off all the loving time. Nobody in this area pays attention to any alarms any more, because we're so used to them being false alarms. If anyone on this street was actually getting robbed, we'd all just put earplugs in until the alarm stopped. Your alarms are making the neighbourhood LESS safe, and this poo poo should be banned.

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Rich guy equivalent to whistle tips???

TrashMammal
Nov 10, 2022

sounds like a license to commit some crimes, op

Wendigee
Jul 19, 2004

TrashMammal posted:

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

TrashMammal posted:

I have had friends physically restrain me from taking a hammer to that loving car because I would show up on everyone's loving Ring cameras even though I am totally justified to smash the poo poo out of that car.

edit: it just started going off moments after I posted this.

Outrail
Jan 4, 2009

www.sapphicrobotica.com

TrashMammal posted:

Surprised noone's already done crimes. I don't think I'd last a week without doing something.

Get the neighbors to sign a petition, maybe deliver it via a brick if that's legal in your region.

Salt Fish
Sep 11, 2003

Cybernetic Crumb
Get them a 20 dollar gift certificate for a car repair place. The one thing a rich person cannot tolerate is the implication that they aren't rich and that's the reason the car has problems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atopian
Sep 23, 2014

I need a security perimeter with Venetian blinds.
A fascinating display of electromagnetism can be observed from the use of a magnetron from an old microwave in a metal tube, as long as care is taken to pick a time and place where no people or animals are nearby.

Depending on the specifics of the setup, might do something, might do nothing, could be funny.