Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PoundSand
Jul 30, 2021

Also proficient with kites

Gangringo posted:

Anaglyph is the deck I've taken the furthest. I'm kind of burned out on trying to beat orange stake. Is there any consensus on the best deck to play at high stakes?

It's amazing how easy the game feels now going back to white stake to try to unlock some of the more esoteric jokers.
I dunno if there's a consensus per se but orange and gold only took me like 2-3 tries each on eratic because it's super common to roll a couple clusters of 6-8 cards and just build a straight forward 3+ of a kind (or full house) deck even with the limited handsize of gold. Of course you have to beat an orange first to get there.

My first gold clear was on abandoned because that's a very common recommendation in the "deck tier list" sort of discussion, but tbh I feel like the strengths of abandoned (starting with less cards so it's easier to go for specialty hands) mostly falls apart on orange because it gets too expensive to consistently chase tarot cards/planet packs to play powerful high scoring hands, and completely falls apart on gold when you have reduced handsize. You can get there with a strong run, but I ultimately ended up resorting to a scaling pair build which is just joker dependent and would legit work on any deck so it felt like the strength of abandoned was pointless.

I'd say ghost is probably the easiest of the quicker to unlock decks to take to take to gold because if you hit even one scaling chip or mult joker early on (madness, green, supernova, ride the bus, square, castle, etc) you just polychrome it and you're off to the races with a high card or pair build. I just beat gold on it today and I got an early supernova, then mid ante 2 cracked a spectral pack with an ankh and the run was a free win at that point. Being able to pick up spectral cards to hold onto and play when you need also makes the deck surprisingly consistent, like you get an immolate in the shop and rather than staring at a 60% chance you burn cards you want to keep you just wait until you get an unlucky draw, thin your deck and get 20 gold at the same time. Similarly stuff that dupes cards, or makes cards makes them in your hand so you can use them to scrape past a tough blind early by slamming a 4 of a kind or something when your deck normally wouldn't support it.

e: I've heard good things about yellow deck too and I agree the climb to orange stake was p easy but I haven't tried it yet so I can't really comment.

PoundSand fucked around with this message at 23:58 on Apr 3, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

What do you mean this challenge requires you to carefully sell the eggs?

:v:

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

the holy poopacy posted:

I didn't think anaglyph was that bad to complete gold stake with. It's definitely not as reliable as checkered/abandoned/erratic but the highrolls are high enough that it averages out to pretty decent IMO.

i found it easiest to climb with Abandoned and Erratic

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

Abandoned Deck is fun.

Don't normally go for straight builds, but I got Runner and the Order fairly early on, plus abandoned deck makes it really easy. I don't think I ever had trouble actually forming a straight? Maybe a little at the start, but I got a number of hanged man cards and started ditching Aces, 2s, and 10s, and then it got really consistent.

Most notably though, this is like the only time I've ever found Flower Pot to actually be good! Given the small deck size and the nature of straights, I don't think I ever failed to actually trigger it. And even if I did fail to trigger it, it was still useful thanks to baseball card. I uh, still can't say I'd take it in most conditions, but it was absolutely good here.

The negatives didn't actually do anything. I basically just kept egg around because I felt like it and I was never desperate enough to crack it. It meant all my temperances were worth $50!

Detheros
Apr 11, 2010

I want to die.

So fun fact: For the Flushed cheevo (Play a Flush with 5 Wild Cards), you only need 4 Wild Cards if you have the joker that lets you make flushes/straights with 4 cards, finally got it that way :v:

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

I got so close to getting it so many times but I kept accidentally setting myself up for Flush Fives and Flush Houses first.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

I got it with Perkeo in a run I was gonna win anyway. It's a pretty silly achievement.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Speaking of cheevos, I got this one on a very appropriate day.

Gangringo
Jul 22, 2007

In the first age, in the first battle, when the shadows first lengthened, one sat.

He chose the path of perpetual contentment.

I just looked at the achievements. Completionist++ has to just be there so you can see if someone is cheating right? That is an evil achievement.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Few things have tanked my orange stake runs more than a late scaling joker that I just GOTTA have.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Gangringo posted:

I just looked at the achievements. Completionist++ has to just be there so you can see if someone is cheating right? That is an evil achievement.
Imo it should be eviller and have it not count your negative jokers.

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!
What is a good deck and strategy to get past $400? I think it's kind of hit-or-miss if you'll get the Jokers that help with money like Roclet/Gold Mask etc.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

What is a good deck and strategy to get past $400? I think it's kind of hit-or-miss if you'll get the Jokers that help with money like Roclet/Gold Mask etc.

Take anaglyph, hope you find a double your money tag offered in the later antes that you can dump a bunch of doubles into.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
Finally got Blueprint + Campfire going on a run, felt awesome until I hit Ante 11.

Hellioning
Jun 27, 2008

skaboomizzy posted:

Finally got Blueprint + Campfire going on a run, felt awesome until I hit Ante 11.

This has been incredibly consistent for me as well. The Ante 11 wall is large.

skaboomizzy
Nov 12, 2003

There is nothing I want to be. There is nothing I want to do.
I don't even have an image of what I want to be. I have nothing. All that exists is zero.
What got me there was I only played four jokers, the other two were some foil thing and Bootstraps which was really hitting since I was right around $200 at the start of every blind, the open space let me buy/sell jokers to boost campfire early on in the antes.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

love to burn a polychrome or negative tag and have it hit popcorn or ice cream

gently caress you too game

sirtommygunn
Mar 7, 2013

Yeah that's why I just don't take those skip tags anymore.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Relyssa posted:

love to burn a polychrome or negative tag and have it hit popcorn or ice cream

gently caress you too game

Balantro: you think a Permanent egg is a joke????

President Ark
May 16, 2010

:iiam:

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

get two money jokers asap to start building money. other three jokers are normal score jokers.

that's not where your money is, though. fish for vouchers and try and get the ones that raise the interest cap. if you get the second level one, it's 20$ every round that you put in literally no effort for, which is more than pretty much any money joker except maybe cloud 9 or the uncommon dollar-per-diamond-suit joker. if you get the joker that doubles interest, it's 40$ a round, which is just absurd.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Balantro: you think a Permanent egg is a joke????

eternal eggs can at least be useful with swashbuckler and that one tarot that gives money based on joker value

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Yeah an egg just sitting there is honestly great value long term below orange just because you'll hit at least 3 temperances per run most games. Omelette challenge you dont even need more than 1 egg by the end because you'll get max temperance value even with 1.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

New best run on white stake/yellow deck: a deck consisting entirely of queens of hearts, half steel and half glass. Two triboulets doubling multiplier for every queen I play for x32 each, campfire with a stupid economy for x6-10, a polychrome family for x6, and a steel joker for x4.5. And it still died to the first blind of ante 14, getting 9.3e11 with an optimal hand out of 2.9e13 needed and ending at a mere 2e12. I think to take it further I would have needed mime and/or seltzer bottle and/or red seals... Still, at least I got the ROI and flushed achievements at the same time.

pumpinglemma fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Apr 4, 2024

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

pumpinglemma posted:

New best run on white stake/yellow deck: a deck consisting entirely of queens of hearts, half steel and half glass. Two triboulets doubling multiplier for every queen I play for x32 each, campfire with a stupid economy for x6-10, a polychrome family for x6, and a steel joker for x4.5. And it still died to the first blind of ante 14, getting 9.3e11 with an optimal hand out of 2.9e13 needed and ending at a mere 2e12. I think to take it further I would have needed mime and/or seltzer bottle and/or red seals... Still, at least I got the ROI and flushed achievements at the same time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P0DK-0fIKCw

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Not that you'd really want it to, but is it possible for Gros Michel to roll with the eternal tag?

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

RBA Starblade posted:

Not that you'd really want it to, but is it possible for Gros Michel to roll with the eternal tag?

All of the food jokers can't have the eternal tag.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Kuros posted:

All of the food jokers can't have the eternal tag.

Good to know, thanks!

Also it feels like the game knows exactly what legendary to give you to not matter at all. I got Canio in a two pair face cards run. Half of my deck was face cards, I had them to spare! I never got a single way to destroy cards again after drawing it lmao

e: I blew up thirty cards before drawing it too lmao

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 01:13 on Apr 5, 2024

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Except egg because gently caress you

Kuros
Sep 13, 2010

Oh look, the consequences of my prior actions are finally catching up to me.

Gaius Marius posted:

Except egg because gently caress you

Oh yea, probably because the Egg doesn't have the mechanic of expiring after a set number of hands/rounds or can go extinct.

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
Finally broke through Ante 11's small blind all the way up to 12 (where I got murdered)! Main synergy was Vagabond and the Tarot joker, Arrowhead and Blackboard with a deck that was almost exclusively Spades, DNA for a long while, and later on Blueprint/Steel joker at 3.25x and Blackboard. Great times.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Purple stake's not loving around huh

e: Guess which Joker's the one I duped to make a second polychrome Baron lol

Those babies, Mime and Brainstorm finally got me 1.7 billion in one hand for stuntman lol, then 4.6e14 lmao. I finally won Balatro

RBA Starblade fucked around with this message at 04:56 on Apr 5, 2024

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

President Ark posted:

get two money jokers asap to start building money. other three jokers are normal score jokers.

that's not where your money is, though. fish for vouchers and try and get the ones that raise the interest cap. if you get the second level one, it's 20$ every round that you put in literally no effort for, which is more than pretty much any money joker except maybe cloud 9 or the uncommon dollar-per-diamond-suit joker. if you get the joker that doubles interest, it's 40$ a round, which is just absurd.

I swear, this game knows when you want a certain Joker or voucher combo then does everything it can to prevent that from happening.

In other words:

Tayter Swift
Nov 18, 2002

Pillbug
I got $400 today by seeing a Bull very early and basically getting very little except things that could increase my $ such as Tarot packs (I had the solid red joker so skipping them helped my score), as well as the $10 interest voucher. I think I had $400 just after Ante 8, and not coincidentally also got the achievement for never rerolling.

Skios
Oct 1, 2021

AlphaKeny1 posted:

I don't know why but I am really bad at these challenges. I know for omelette you can get lucky and find the joker that adds mult based on sell value of other jokers. But I have not seen it once in nearly 20 runs so far.

You'd think so, but then on the final boss blind you get the 'random joker disabled' modifier and it shuts down Swashbuckler twice in a row.

Relyssa
Jul 29, 2012

I lost a run where I pulled 3 black holes but failed to trigger a single wheel despite trying about 7 of them. what the hell is this rng

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

beat Checkered on Black Stake :whatup:

Necronomicon
Jan 18, 2004

Relyssa posted:

I lost a run where I pulled 3 black holes but failed to trigger a single wheel despite trying about 7 of them. what the hell is this rng

There is NO WAY Wheel of Fortune has 1 in 4 odds. I get a hit on one maybe one out of ten times. It’s absurd.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Teriyaki Koinku posted:

I swear, this game knows when you want a certain Joker or voucher combo then does everything it can to prevent that from happening.

In other words:

I had both of the clearance sale vouchers and both the extra shop card vouchers. Plus Blueprint on the Joker that adds a sealed card. I rolled over and over but never saw the Joker that adds mult when you add a card. It would have been insane. Instead I lost in ante 11 like usual.

VideoGames
Aug 18, 2003
Does the Matador not work with The Tooth?

The Tooth being lose $1 per card played, and Matador being 'gain $8 when activating the boss blind ability'?

I thought I was on to a smart thing there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

It may only work when something is "debuffed" in scoring.