Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

lmao :psyboom:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Korea? Never heard of it.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

the korean war was so insanely genocidal and psychotic but most americans know absolutely nothing about it. what about the other countries involved? do the populations of uk/australia/other nazi countries know that their countries immediately got together after ww2 to brutalize a country that was conquered by fascists, in support of traitor collaborators?

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

Hatebag posted:

the korean war was so insanely genocidal and psychotic but most americans know absolutely nothing about it. what about the other countries involved? do the populations of uk/australia/other nazi countries know that their countries immediately got together after ww2 to brutalize a country that was conquered by fascists, in support of traitor collaborators?

most turks think they fought in it as the price of admission to NATO. while there is heavy disagreement over whether that was worth it, I rarely hear about whether it was good for the Koreans.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

mawarannahr posted:

most turks think they fought in it as the price of admission to NATO. while there is heavy disagreement over whether that was worth it, I rarely hear about whether it was good for the Koreans.

the turks and the greeks, united in a common cause: genocide

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Hatebag posted:

The Armed Forces of the Philippines holds the Battle of Yultong, where a Philippine detachment provided cover for an American retreat, as one of the greatest martial feats in our military history.

Tankbuster
Oct 1, 2021
the only troops india provided were doctors which was nice.

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Hatebag posted:

Ben Gurion wanted to send over troops to help the south, but settled for sending them supplies since various people in Mapam/Maki wanted to remain neutral or even side with the north because labour zionism is funny as gently caress

KomradeX
Oct 29, 2011

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

ee: The only fundamental difference in demographics under the White Dominion policy is the presence of the French and Free Blacks here, and your Irish are Catholics and ours are Prods. So the "Old Stock" are more or less the same, and blame the problems on immigrants because class consciousness just... doesn't occur to them?

It isn't that class consciousness doesn't occur to people, its that coming to that solution is heavily discouraged by everything in our society. The primary purpose of education in the West is sqash any communist thought before it can grow. So the Left has been marginalized to almost non-existence, the Liberal response is smug and contradictory, so when the Right says why are we spending millions on immigrants but none on us people run with that till it just becomes "common sense"

ModernMajorGeneral
Jun 25, 2010

Hatebag posted:

we fought communists, who are all evil, so it was a good thing

in the rare situation they know about the fascist terror of the south, communism = fascism so it was a complex situation and you shouldn't judge our government and soldiers who were trying their best

The idea that South Korea looks nice and has pop music and kBBQ while the North has starvation and executing anyone who doesn't wear Kim's hair cut is enough to stop further thought about it anyway

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

gradenko_2000 posted:

The Armed Forces of the Philippines holds the Battle of Yultong, where a Philippine detachment provided cover for an American retreat, as one of the greatest martial feats in our military history.

why do the philippines love the american boot so much

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

Megamissen posted:

we spent 30 years killing the ones who didn't

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Hatebag posted:

Do Brits know about the The Last Stand of the Glorious Glosters?

Hatebag posted:

Do Canadians remember 2 VPs defence at Kapyong?

Hatebag posted:

The Royal Australians on Hill 504? What of them?

Hatebag Kipling posted:

More than once, too, he came officially into contact with the Regimental colours, which looked like the lining of a bricklayer’s hat on the end of a chewed stick. Bobby did not kneel and worship them, because British subalterns are not constructed in that manner. Indeed, he condemned them for their weight at the very moment that they were filling him with awe and other more noble sentiments.

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

lmao

Cookie Cutter
Nov 29, 2020

Is there something else that's bothering you Mr. President?

Western militaries, especially my fellow Brits, are so good at romanticising getting their asses soundly beaten.

GlassEye-Boy
Jul 12, 2001

Megamissen posted:

very large cuck energy

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

Hatebag posted:

the time ghost army guys are doing korea after their ww2 project is done and i am really looking forward to it

Owlbear Camus
Jan 3, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 44 minutes!

back of the envelope about 10k war deaths per square kilometer to wrest an area the size of philly from the evil dprk

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer

Megamissen posted:

gladio: eastern edition

Hatebag
Jun 17, 2008

i guess the only example i can think of of a country doing a collective mea culpa after a genocide is germany, and then probably only because they were forced to by the occupation post-ww2. and now they're one of the countries with the highest public support for the genocide of palestine.
and maybe the us/canada w/r/t native americans/slavery. i think most people in those countries recognize that history as evil. though that pretty much just amounts to empty words as black and native populations are still subject to genocide and apartheid in us/can

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Megamissen posted:

One of the few long colonial projects in East Asia. Taiwanese people have similar emotions to Japan. And Taiwan went through stronger decolonization under KMT rule.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

"If you go, you've got to be a good, not an indifferent platoon commander: and you've got to hope very much not to be killed but to help get the better of the Germans. Everything is against you; your poor physique, your consequent lack of high spirits and animal courage: everything which arises out of the physical vigour of life which we've always unduly despised and which now we see to be so important when one gets back to pristine struggle. But you'll do it, if you have to go. You can always throw yourself into a thing thoroughly: and Greece showed you had your grit and courage when danger came. Don't dwell on your unfitness. I'm not afraid that you would show the white feather or fail"

- Letter from Sarah Edith Marshall to her son.

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

John Dolan in the Baffler

quote:

But the grimmest lesson of all might be that no matter what changes occur in military technology and strategy, such tools will be wielded by cruel, corrupt, and shortsighted elites happy to wipe out enemy civilians rather than engage in pitched battles. The reason people like to study Waterloo and Gettysburg is that they’re anomalies. Most wars have been wars of extermination, either through massacre or, more often, famine. (Some use both, as the IDF is currently doing in Gaza.) Unfortunately, this is the pattern you see most often. The buzzards might gag, but they will always feast.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

https://twitter.com/dril/status/549425182767861760

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/JoshuaPHilll/status/1775917486925594956?t=KFHgqy_ynho-vMXQTVH2uQ&s=19

Sancho Banana
Aug 4, 2023

Not to be confused with meat.

Shameful, what would the Marxist Lockheed Martin employee think of this

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold

reported for doxxing tenderjerk

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

Hatebag posted:

i guess the only example i can think of of a country doing a collective mea culpa after a genocide is germany, and then probably only because they were forced to by the occupation post-ww2. and now they're one of the countries with the highest public support for the genocide of palestine.
and maybe the us/canada w/r/t native americans/slavery. i think most people in those countries recognize that history as evil. though that pretty much just amounts to empty words as black and native populations are still subject to genocide and apartheid in us/can

a liberal is someone who is against genocide, except the ones happening right now, is against fascism, except the ones in power right now, and pro civil rights, except the ones today

Mandel Brotset
Jan 1, 2024

good

good protestors, I mean

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Raskolnikov38 posted:

reported for doxxing tenderjerk

The Voice of Labor
Apr 8, 2020

gonna go with pulled a knife and not a gun because of prior felonies

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

tbf if that Lockheed employee gets to work I'm not sure it will actually benefit the Israeli genocide effort. Considering how poorly and ineptly the US MIC is producing weapons the employees may do more harm to imperial power at work than they would by simply not working.

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

I forgot to mention that the only time I got into a fight with my grandfather was that when I was maybe 10 or 11 I worked out that he was old enough to serve in Korea as his brothers had done in the World War, and he chose not to. But no, just because they were “killed in Italy” and “traumatized from the Netherlands”, he didn’t follow the colours. His younger brother volunteered for Vietnam though, so there’s that.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DJJIB-DJDCT posted:

I forgot to mention that the only time I got into a fight with my grandfather was that when I was maybe 10 or 11 I worked out that he was old enough to serve in Korea as his brothers had done in the World War, and he chose not to. But no, just because they were “killed in Italy” and “traumatized from the Netherlands”, he didn’t follow the colours. His younger brother volunteered for Vietnam though, so there’s that.

am I reading this correctly: you got into a fight with your grandpa because he didn't want to go pulverize some koreans?

Doktor Avalanche has issued a correction as of 00:54 on Apr 5, 2024

Crazycryodude
Aug 15, 2015

Lets get our X tons of Duranium back!

....Is that still a valid thing to jingoistically blow out of proportion?

10 year old FF calling grandpa a coward for not wanting to volunteer in Korea is the least surprising character vignette to date tbh

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Doktor Avalanche posted:

am I reading this correctly: you got into a fight with your grandpa because he didn't want to go pulverize some koreans?

The last part is editorializing, but that's the gist of it.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
No need to dogpile, we've all said dumb poo poo to our elders as kids that we've eventually come around to regret. :kiddo:

DJJIB-DJDCT
Feb 1, 2024

Wait, who is the one with regrets in this scenario? He could have made a difference at Kapyong.

Hubbert
Mar 25, 2007

At a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
:thisagain:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

this will somehow result in a taiping-revanchanist, dengist tankie flake who cites books with no english translation at all