Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Karate Bastard
Jul 31, 2007

Soiled Meat
Very good video from Stumpy Nubs on the future of table saws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKkuDduYLk

SawStop will not let their patents stand in the way of new legislation to require flesh sensing technology in table saw. This will probably lead to much more expensive table saws, possibly less competition, and maybe an end to affordable entry level table saws, argues Stumpy Nubs.

Use blade guards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Karate Bastard posted:

Very good video from Stumpy Nubs on the future of table saws

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxKkuDduYLk

SawStop will not let their patents stand in the way of new legislation to require flesh sensing technology in table saw. This will probably lead to much more expensive table saws, possibly less competition, and maybe an end to affordable entry level table saws, argues Stumpy Nubs.

Use blade guards.

All of his arguments are a bit hyperbolic. I don't foresee the industry imploding, and costs going through the roof. Industries will always find a way to lower costs in markets with huge competition and a wide user base. His example of the Craftsman radial arm saws is faulty as well, as 1.) Craftsman was not exactly known for sound business decisions, and 2.) The market of the 80's and earlier is not even remotely how things work today.

Big changes for sure, but I think things will largely settle down fairly rapidly, and we'll be able to get saws with the tech in it for mostly what we're paying now.

Bacon Taco
Jun 8, 2006

Now with extra narwhal meat!
HAIKOOLIGAN
Dinosaur Gum

LifeSunDeath posted:

it looks like it's got subwoofers on the party deck back there.

skibadee skibadanger
I am the rearranger

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

https://i.imgur.com/tpURbzG.mp4

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Amongst all of my accomplishments & skills learned in life: rebuilding, repairing, restoration, reconstruction of buildings, cars, machinery, equipment, etc.

There I two things I cannot do:

- cut glass

- use a sewing machine

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

PainterofCrap posted:

Amongst all of my accomplishments & skills learned in life: rebuilding, repairing, restoration, reconstruction of buildings, cars, machinery, equipment, etc.

- cut glass

- use a sewing machine

A sewing machine is just like a scroll saw. Follow the line to victory.

TEMPLE GRANDIN OS
Dec 10, 2003

...blyat

PainterofCrap posted:

- cut glass

- use a sewing machine

turn up the AC if you want to be cutting glass

Kith
Sep 17, 2009

You never learn anything
by doing it right.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

https://i.imgur.com/jj8A6GK.mp4

Olewithmilk
Jun 30, 2006

What?

Carillon posted:

I don't understand what they are trying to do here, it really looks like this is in fact the desired outcome, but that can't be right.

I think she's trying to push it into the protective cage that you can just about see. She lifts up one set of wheels to push it forwards over the lip of the cage, then can't push the top forwards to move it so she tries to push the bottom with her leg but instead pulls it all the way on top of herself.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Discount hydrogen balloons and a firework birthday cake!

Loki Kunti
Mar 31, 2010

ddiddles posted:

I wanna see the factory that makes all those massive metal parts

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2FS42dUn6M

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x141 KERNEL PANIC

I was expecting her to drop the cake, kudos to her.

LifeSunDeath
Jan 4, 2007

still gay rights and smoke weed every day

why the hell would anyone fill balloons with hydrogen. what a horrible lack of societal safety measures.

Whoforthenwhat
Sep 20, 2009

LifeSunDeath posted:

why the hell would anyone fill balloons with hydrogen. what a horrible lack of societal safety measures.

I’m more disturbed that fireworks INDOORS is becoming a thing. I keep seeing these Roman candle fountain things on cakes etc, it’s high temp fire and you’re indoors.

Just no.

Regular Wario
Mar 27, 2010

Slippery Tilde

LifeSunDeath posted:

We got a lot of it hanging around, may as well use it

LimaBiker
Dec 9, 2020

I don't think the balloons are filled with hydrogen. Rather, natural gas, which is also lighter than air, and a LOT cheaper. The color of burning hydrogen is less yellow-orange, more red, and less opaque. It also burns a bit faster in my small scale experience.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos
Putting helium in balloons is an absolutely hosed intersection of supply chain and resource availability but the alternative is that
Verdict: ban novelty balloons

St_Ides
May 19, 2008

LifeSunDeath posted:

Because the US government sold off the strategic helium reserve and the price of helium skyrocketed.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

LifeSunDeath posted:

Because Helium is critical now for things like MRIs and other specialty machines, so we're running out and its no longer cheap/fun for balloons.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
https://i.imgur.com/E9tdlIF.mp4
mmmm

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
We're not 'running out' of helium.

We've dumped off our cheap helium. There's still plenty of helium being produced annually, far more than all the MRI machines will need.

Vampire Panties
Apr 18, 2001
nposter
Nap Ghost

thats the weirdest colonoscopy I've ever seen

note: i've never seen a colonoscopy

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

biznatchio posted:

We're not 'running out' of helium.

We've dumped off our cheap helium. There's still plenty of helium being produced annually, far more than all the MRI machines will need.

Okay, correcting myself - we are not running out, and the decay of Uranium will continue to produce helium in wells for ages. But yes, to your point, the cheap stuff is gone.

Man, someday my TIG welding will look like that....someday....

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
Is it slowed down or is he welding something that can take that much heat in one spot for that long?

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

Scratch Monkey posted:

Is it slowed down or is he welding something that can take that much heat in one spot for that long?

I don't think its slowed down, the workpiwece is likely purged with gas and if you look he's already done a root pass so this is a 2nd pass so it can likely take the heat if it its that thick a material.

Its pretty thick metal they are working on, plus they are adding a lot of material with every pass which helps drop the temperature a bit with each pass.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Apr 5, 2024

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

No safety sandals. 3/10

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Did this mean that people are going to be inhaling other gasses, thinking that it is helium, in order to make their voice high?

Because that seems like a problem.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug
e;misread the post.

No. 6
Jun 30, 2002

Master Twig posted:

Did this mean that people are going to be inhaling other gasses, thinking that it is helium, in order to make their voice high?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rd5j8mG24H4

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

Master Twig posted:

Does not compute. Don't inhale helium.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
Isn't the only real danger that it displaces oxygen? It's not something small kids and drunk people should be doing, sure, but sorta hard to believe a healthy-ish sober adult would ever come to harm from a balloon.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

Pillbug

ComradePyro posted:

Isn't the only real danger that it displaces oxygen? It's not something small kids and drunk people should be doing, sure, but sorta hard to believe a healthy-ish sober adult would ever come to harm from a balloon.

Yes, but it takes more than a few huffs to really displace enough to knock you out. I mean, you'll feel lightheated after 1-2 huffs, but not black out.

zedprime
Jun 9, 2007

yospos

ComradePyro posted:

"Only" doing heavy lifting here. Helium is physically charitable being lighter than air which will help you clear your lungs even if autonomic functions are impaired so I'll give some credit that if you're not in an inversion table you're probably not going to get brain damage or die. However you're well within an area where you might pass out and hit your head which is a completely avoidable risk by just not breathing helium.

Luneshot
Mar 10, 2014

zedprime posted:

However you're well within an area where you might pass out and hit your head which is a completely avoidable risk by just not breathing helium.

that’s why you should sit down first

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

zedprime posted:

"Only" doing heavy lifting here. Helium is physically charitable being lighter than air which will help you clear your lungs even if autonomic functions are impaired so I'll give some credit that if you're not in an inversion table you're probably not going to get brain damage or die. However you're well within an area where you might pass out and hit your head which is a completely avoidable risk by just not breathing helium.

coward

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

zedprime posted:

But then you can't do silly squeaky voices. What kind of monster are you?

dobbymoodge
Mar 8, 2005

Bloody Hedgehog posted:

All of his arguments are a bit hyperbolic. I don't foresee the industry imploding, and costs going through the roof.

SAFETY FIRST! 27 0 days SawStop derail-free.

Stumpy Nubs is not an economist, the legislation is good, economies of scale will drive costs down and widespread, affordable access to the tech will make true believers out of all but the most brainwormed old timers. This makes the most dangerous wood shop tool into one of the safest, it will save millions in medical expenses, prevent thousands of amputations yearly, and we could have gotten here 20 years sooner.

e: of course you should use every safety feature available on your saw - having SawStop doesn't mean you're free to remove the blade guard, pawls, riving knife etc.; preventing blade contact incidents is and always will be the most important consideration when planning any table saw cut.

dobbymoodge fucked around with this message at 14:48 on Apr 5, 2024

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009
I think it's fine to acknowledge the danger, sure, but the "Do not do it!" tone is counterproductive ala drug PSAs overstating the dangers of jazz cigarettes. People do it all the time without hurting themselves even though it's dangerous, so it's clearly not that dangerous.

We could have a pretty identical discussion about how everyone should be using a chainmail glove when they cut food with a knife, but that's just silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

how many normal sized balloons of hydrogen do you think you could string together and pop before it becomes dangerously concussive