Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Dec 16, 1945)

Nice duck hat, Sadonia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

Owl at Home posted:

Nice duck hat, Sadonia.

I prefer her husband's grumpy cat face helmet.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Tiger, Tiger

That's a good thinking pipe.

Kennel has a new favorite as of 00:02 on Apr 5, 2024

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

god Val is such a chump lol

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

fritz posted:

The Worm Troll
part 2/2

That's real good, and real sad, and probably the happiest I've ever been to encounter a last-second "it was imagination" twist. Of course the reality is also sad, but that mixed feeling moment as a reader is really well executed.

Finally there's a child even worse than the Necropolis girl at dark bargains.

Phthisis
Apr 16, 2007

"Maybe some dolphins have sex for pleasure."

Owl at Home posted:

Nice duck hat, Sadonia.

uncanny.

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof

Eh, her hair is a bird, your argument is invalid

Jolyne Cujoh
Dec 7, 2012

It's not like I've got no worries...
But I'll be fine.
Rainbow In The Dark

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Im thinkin about thos sound effects
I'm after ideas, I suppose. This is the first panel of a current project. I got 5 pages in before realising I hadn't drawn/written any sound effects anywhere, and maybe I should fix that?
This picture is meant to show a weird giant silent floating platform thing (yes I've watched too much Villeneuve why do you ask). Do you think I can get away with having almost zero sound effects? Or does this panel need a HMMMM or a HOOOOM or a RRRRR drawn across it?

I remembered Clown Corps and Lavender Jack as using a lot of fx but upon review they actually don't. The artists are just that infuriatingly good at getting their point across. On the other extreme, Kill Six Billion Demons makes constant (excellent) use of fx, from teaspoon ting-tings to panel-filling DOOMS.

mycatscrimes
Jan 2, 2020

Tree Bucket posted:

I'm after ideas, I suppose. This is the first panel of a current project. I got 5 pages in before realising I hadn't drawn/written any sound effects anywhere, and maybe I should fix that?
This picture is meant to show a weird giant silent floating platform thing (yes I've watched too much Villeneuve why do you ask). Do you think I can get away with having almost zero sound effects? Or does this panel need a HMMMM or a HOOOOM or a RRRRR drawn across it?

I remembered Clown Corps and Lavender Jack as using a lot of fx but upon review they actually don't. The artists are just that infuriatingly good at getting their point across. On the other extreme, Kill Six Billion Demons makes constant (excellent) use of fx, from teaspoon ting-tings to panel-filling DOOMS.

This is a really interesting question. I personally haven't thought about effective use of sound effects before, other than sometimes they are deliberately funny or convey a pulp action tone.

But off the top of my head, I think K6BD has a maximalist aesthetic that's about immersing the viewer in environmental detail, and using tons of sound effects adds to that by bringing in a sensory element not easily conveyed through visuals or traditional prose. By contrast, Lavender Jack/Dan Schkade is almost ruthlessly efficient and makes every spare element he introduces to the work count- there aren't a lot of wasted lines, colors, or panels. His work is evocative because he is very skilled with color, line, and panel composition, but it isn't focusing on immersing you in the setting the way K6BD is. It's more interested in action (not a statement that K6BD isn't also very interested in action, this is a half baked aesthetic comparison).

Thinking about it another way, K6BD generally has a lot of panels you are really meant to sit with and get lost in, filled with detail, expansive compositions, creating a sweeping view and really emphasizing place. It's happy to make huge spreads and have a slow 'read' as the reader enjoys the visuals at their pace. The big expansive panels even create a sense of large 'moments', creating an unhurried journey through the page.

Lavender Jack has a fast pace and narrow panels that flow into each other very quickly and do as much as possible with as little detail as needed. It's geared towards a fast read, compositions are generally tightly focused one one or two key elements, lines are thick and sweeping, color and silhouettes are bold, and it uses the vertical format for a continous visual flow downwards. Even establishing shots are constrained to this narrow format and quick read, you aren't meant to get caught on panels in the way K6BD invites. Color is the main tool in the emotional and sensory arsenal, and it is a powerful one. Oh, and shadow Schkade does a lot with shadow.

As for your panel, I don't know if it needs a sound effect or not without seeing the full context. I feel 'giant ominous floating craft' is an image that already carries some specific auditory cues (or lack thereof) of either sinister silence or ominous unnatural noises. I don't think it's going to be distracting to add a bit of sound, but you could also probably effectively convey the tone with visuals only.

What do you want the sound effect to contribute to the panel? If it's your first sound effect in the work, the readers may place a great deal of importance on the 'silence' suddenly being broken (or they might not notice lol). Would it draw too much attention to the panel to add the first sound effect in the piece? Or is this maybe good and you want that panel to catch people when reading it? Are you looking for a specific sensory detail, or an emotional reaction? Or maybe you want to add information, and unambigously let the viewers know that it is creating a sound? Or let them know what kind of sound it makes, to communicate it is mechanical or some other detail?

Truthfully I think this is a question with many potential right answers, and people are going to have varied preferences. Maybe this is all kind of a nonanswer, lol. Sorry.

mycatscrimes has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Apr 5, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Sound effects are basically invisible to me.

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

agree with emz

i think at least for that specific panel a softer smaller vmmm or something would be okay since it appears to be farther in the distance (bigger more panel-encompassing VMMMMMM if you were to zoom in)

Helios Grime
Jan 27, 2012

Where we are going we won't need shirts
Pillbug

Tree Bucket posted:

For your specific example, if it is supposed to be a quiet aircraft maybe instead of a sound effect maybe go with just showing the movement using wing condensation or the air turbulence affecting the clouds. That way the reader realizes that it moves, but the absence of fx indicates that it's actually silent.

Helios Grime has a new favorite as of 07:25 on Apr 5, 2024

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

One Day Outing Foreman chapter 41: Love Stories

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

SimonChris posted:

Velvet Gewgaw

lmao

Synthbuttrange has a new favorite as of 06:42 on Apr 5, 2024

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

mycatscrimes posted:

Thinking about it another way, K6BD generally has a lot of panels you are really meant to sit with and get lost in, filled with detail, expansive compositions, creating a sweeping view and really emphasizing place. It's happy to make huge spreads and have a slow 'read' as the reader enjoys the visuals at their pace. The big expansive panels even create a sense of large 'moments', creating an unhurried journey through the page.

Lavender Jack has a fast pace and narrow panels that flow into each other very quickly and do as much as possible with as little detail as needed. It's geared towards a fast read, compositions are generally tightly focused one one or two key elements, lines are thick and sweeping, color and silhouettes are bold, and it uses the vertical format for a continous visual flow downwards. Even establishing shots are constrained to this narrow format and quick read, you aren't meant to get caught on panels in the way K6BD invites. Color is the main tool in the emotional and sensory arsenal, and it is a powerful one. Oh, and shadow Schkade does a lot with shadow.

Makes sense. A big K6BD page feels like being a kid with a Where's Wally book (or Waldo, as he's known to the heretics). Or the big double-pagers from Dinotopia, if you remember that. Beyond a couple of scenes, I'm not going for LJ action or the teeming chaos of K6BD world-building. But if I start thinking about Schkade and Abaddon too much I'll give up now as those guys are masters. (And, presumably, don't have day jobs haha.)

mycatscrimes posted:

As for your panel, I don't know if it needs a sound effect or not without seeing the full context. I feel 'giant ominous floating craft' is an image that already carries some specific auditory cues (or lack thereof) of either sinister silence or ominous unnatural noises. I don't think it's going to be distracting to add a bit of sound, but you could also probably effectively convey the tone with visuals only.

What do you want the sound effect to contribute to the panel? If it's your first sound effect in the work, the readers may place a great deal of importance on the 'silence' suddenly being broken (or they might not notice lol). Would it draw too much attention to the panel to add the first sound effect in the piece? Or is this maybe good and you want that panel to catch people when reading it? Are you looking for a specific sensory detail, or an emotional reaction? Or maybe you want to add information, and unambigously let the viewers know that it is creating a sound? Or let them know what kind of sound it makes, to communicate it is mechanical or some other detail?

Aha, more good points. I think I like the contrast between the mention of "nature" in the speech bubble and the unnatural floating giant thing; and a textual sound effect might distract from that.
But yeah, speaking of contrast, it might actually work quite well to not use sound effects at all up until A Particular Planned Scene later on, where their inclusion might be a really interesting effect...

Helios Grime posted:

For your specific example, if it is supposed to be a quiet aircraft maybe instead of a sound effect maybe go with just showing the movement using sing condensation or the air turbulence affecting the clouds. That way the reader realizes that it moves, but the absence of fx indicates that it's actually silent.

Oohh, that's a nice idea. I may need to do some editing.

CrocodileKingSaysNO posted:

agree with emz

i think at least for that specific panel a softer smaller vmmm or something would be okay since it appears to be farther in the distance (bigger more panel-encompassing VMMMMMM if you were to zoom in)

I guess that's the issue- the smaller vmmmm would fit quite well, but as you said, for the zoom-in I'd need a bigger VMMM for contrast. But I'm not sure I can commit to ksbd-scale sound effects!
Man, comics are hard work.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Tree Bucket posted:

But yeah, speaking of contrast, it might actually work quite well to not use sound effects at all up until A Particular Planned Scene later on, where their inclusion might be a really interesting effect...

I can imagine a comic where only one thing ever produces a written sound, for a particularly unnerving and attention-grabbing effect. Based on what you've mentioned about this thing so far, that might be something you're going for.

Ditocoaf has a new favorite as of 07:03 on Apr 5, 2024

CrocodileKingSaysNO
Jul 25, 2007

oh hey that's a good idea too!

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In any case for this particular panel I'd advocate no sound effect, if you're going for "strange/ominous" and it's something off in the distance to the speaker. Especially if you're trying to play the ominousness straight-faced: a tiny "vmmm" to denote movement might actually read as playful.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys
Yep, I think no sound effects plays into the general "what is this thing" vibe.
Weighing up the possibilities of putting literally every panel up one at a time for review, until the world's greatest consensus-built comic is created. What could go wrong?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

post the panels in a random order and see if we can put them together.

(or don't, this sounds pretty dang cool and I'm genuinely looking forward to seeing it as a piece.)

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

This conversation is reminding me of this Z-list DC Comics supervillain:

Onomatopoeia, his gimmick is that he says all his sound effects and not much else.

Inexplicable Humblebrag
Sep 20, 2003

they defeated him by feeding him a bad burrito and having him spend all his time and effort yelling GURGLE, FLART so he couldn't do any crimes

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

No see, he thought of that, that's why he's got the full face mask.

SimonChris
Apr 24, 2008

The Baron's daughter is missing, and you are the man to find her. No problem. With your inexhaustible arsenal of hard-boiled similes, there is nothing you can't handle.
Grimey Drawer
Superman & Lois actually managed to make Onomatopoeia cool.

Osmosisch
Sep 9, 2007

I shall make everyone look like me! Then when they trick each other, they will say "oh that Coyote, he is the smartest one, he can even trick the great Coyote."

Grimey Drawer

This picture puts an ominous "Vmmmmmmm" hovering/buzzing sound effect in my head without needing it written out, fwiw

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
The other thing I can think of is to have something like a low rumble or "vmmm" across the bottom of every single panel where it's around, even the ones where it's not in focus and no one is looking at it. Like the sound could show up pages before anyone actually looks up and spots the thing, letting the reader know something is up and have to wait for the characters to notice.

That'd give it more of an active presence rather than an eerie passive one, but if eerie is the vibe you're going for, I think absolutely no onomatopeia is the way to go.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Different Country Diary

Probably not great that I can relate to Makio as much as I do, but I do appreciate her honesty and straightforwardness

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
Video Game Cheats n' Beatums

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Digamma-F-Wau posted:

Video Game Cheats n' Beatums

:perfect:

Squidster
Oct 7, 2008

✋😢Life's just better with Ominous Gloves🤗🧤
Beank and Rosa: How to Draw Meat

Emzedoh posted:

Reminds me of this, somehow.
I hadn't seen this before! Pork slap rules.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

I have no idea what's going on, but I like meat so that's ok

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

So I won't post the full list of the actual words yet, but I will post a list of vague crossword-style clues for the words. In no particular order.

Thank you
Not a mummy
Part of a goon-made comic title
Several exist
Kinda queer
Milk
Was in a surprisingly gay orange juice commercial
Responsible for horrible people
If you're good you can get this
Happily married
Not just one
No longer a bad guy
The biggest badass around
Nominally a superhero
Relationship status: It's complicated
delet this
One character covers up
Someone's sick
Rest in peace
What was this even about

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

SOUBOUTEI
MUST
BE
DESTROYED

Fukken...boxing nerds with power gloves

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
I may not be 30 generations of prime ministers, but I'm not quite sure how they expected their plan of "send literally all of our elite guys into the house, that takes over the bodies of people who mess with it, at the same time" to pan out.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Squidster posted:

I hadn't seen this before! Pork slap rules.

One of these days I'll post the rest of Nobody Scores. It's a little comic about inevitable disaster.

Hyouge Mono Ceremony 69: A Man's Man to Man

"I see you piss harder than I do - do you intend to rule the land also!?"

The Dragon, the Hero and the Courier Episode 36: The Knight, the Squire and the Experience Points

Holy poo poo, Sig.

Dieting Hippo
Jan 5, 2006

THIS IS NOT A PROPER DIET FOR A HIPPO

Emzedoh posted:

"I see you piss harder than I do - do you intend to rule the land also!?"

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

That is excellent.

Tree Bucket
Apr 1, 2016

R.I.P.idura leucophrys

I'm definitely not sniggering at this, because I'm definitely a mature and grown-up sensible intellectual person;

Osmosisch posted:

This picture puts an ominous "Vmmmmmmm" hovering/buzzing sound effect in my head without needing it written out, fwiw

Mission accomplished!!

KennyMan666 posted:

surprisingly gay orange juice commercial

What

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

I may not be 30 generations of prime ministers, but I'm not quite sure how they expected their plan of "send literally all of our elite guys into the house, that takes over the bodies of people who mess with it, at the same time" to pan out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Owl at Home
Dec 25, 2014

Well hoot, I don't know if I can say no to that
Prince Valiant in the Days of King Arthur (Dec 23, 1945)