Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah I was working about 82-95 hours a week with no overtime, across 2+ jobs, a combination of working at a movie theater and temp worker for catering. If I had any down time that wasn't sleeping, I wasn't sitting around on goons with spoons teaching myself how to properly brown. Any truly down time I had was mostly spent playing psone jrpgs from the used section of GameStop and figuring out how I was going to pay the electric bill

In like 2010 I was really mad when they closed with the cast iron skillet thread because that was the only piece of "gourmet" cookware I owned

Hadlock fucked around with this message at 04:34 on Mar 30, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dance Officer
May 4, 2017

It would be awesome if we could dance!
Oh, sorry. I guess I forgot that the US is a hellscape.

hypnophant
Oct 19, 2012

Dance Officer posted:

Oh, sorry. I guess I forgot that the US is a hellscape.

It’s not like parts of Europe hit 30% youth unemployment during the same time period

Agronox
Feb 4, 2005

I guess this is :goonsay: but the trick to cheap fast food these days is to always use the apps and, I cannot stress this enough, always pick it up yourself.

The McD app is great for getting free McMuffins, fries, and coffee. Right now over at Wendy's there's an NCAA promotion where you can get a $2 Dave's Double while the tournament is going on, and that's a fantastic burger for the price. Taco Bell has $5 or $6 value boxes that you can only order through the app. And so on...

Lockback posted:

I remember when small mom and pops could give you two slices of pizza and a fountain drink for under $5. That disappeared well before COVID and I feel like there was just a timer on when fast food would finally abandon that layer.

Even as late as early 2022 there were still $1 slice joints in the heart of Manhattan. (Maybe they're still around, I haven't been to the city much since.)

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Yes, I know I'm old, get off my fucking lawn so I can yell at these clouds.

Agronox posted:

I guess this is :goonsay: but the trick to cheap fast food these days is to always use the apps and, I cannot stress this enough, always pick it up yourself.

The McD app is great for getting free McMuffins, fries, and coffee. Right now over at Wendy's there's an NCAA promotion where you can get a $2 Dave's Double while the tournament is going on, and that's a fantastic burger for the price. Taco Bell has $5 or $6 value boxes that you can only order through the app. And so on...

Even as late as early 2022 there were still $1 slice joints in the heart of Manhattan. (Maybe they're still around, I haven't been to the city much since.)

The fucker of this, with McDonald's specifically, is that the app only has a limited subset of all their food. I notice this specifically with breakfast, as there is no way to order a sausage egg mcmuffin, which is what I like to eat. Go into the drive through? Right there on the menu. But no where to be found in the app.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The fucker of this, with McDonald's specifically, is that the app only has a limited subset of all their food. I notice this specifically with breakfast, as there is no way to order a sausage egg mcmuffin, which is what I like to eat. Go into the drive through? Right there on the menu. But no where to be found in the app.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

*shrug* just wasn't an option for me the last time I got it, about a week ago. My wife and I spent so long looking through the loving menus I had to rush out of the house if I wasn't going to miss breakfast entirely.

Maybe we're both idiots, but two adults scrolling the app methodically looking for one specific thing couldn't find it.

edit: this isn't the first time this has happened with the app, just the most recent. It feels like they adjust the menu on the fly with it a lot, which makes a bunch of sense. The last time it was those little apple pies. Not in the app, but when I got there to pick up the order it sure as poo poo was on the menu so I just bought some in store.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Cyrano4747 posted:

*shrug* just wasn't an option for me the last time I got it, about a week ago. My wife and I spent so long looking through the loving menus I had to rush out of the house if I wasn't going to miss breakfast entirely.

Maybe we're both idiots, but two adults scrolling the app methodically looking for one specific thing couldn't find it.

edit: this isn't the first time this has happened with the app, just the most recent. It feels like they adjust the menu on the fly with it a lot, which makes a bunch of sense. The last time it was those little apple pies. Not in the app, but when I got there to pick up the order it sure as poo poo was on the menu so I just bought some in store.

Idk, I suppose it could be a regional thing or A/B testing. Maybe the algorithm has deemed you unworthy of stuffing your face with pies. I see them on my app for $2.59 for 2.

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 13:16 on Mar 30, 2024

pmchem
Jan 22, 2010

Agronox posted:

I hate making GBS threads up my phone with corp apps that just want my data but I was telling my wife this same thing the other week, that I was about to capitulate and install some apps for drive thru places because when i do have to eat at them there’s always deals on the app

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

pmchem posted:

I hate making GBS threads up my phone with corp apps that just want my data but I was telling my wife this same thing the other week, that I was about to capitulate and install some apps for drive thru places because when i do have to eat at them there’s always deals on the app

I'm actually OK with this kind of thing in principle, just because they're giving me something for the data. It's just a free burger or whatever but hey, it's something. And it's pretty easy to deny the app so many permissions that it can't really break out and give them all the poo poo it wants. That said, iirc from when we installed the McDonalds app it asks for some loving crazy permissions. Like it wanted 24h access to the GPS.

Also I make sure to close that poo poo immediately upon ordering.

That said, the ultimate goal is to make the apps the preferred way of ordering and at that point they'll cut the specials.

downout
Jul 6, 2009

Cyrano4747 posted:

I'm actually OK with this kind of thing in principle, just because they're giving me something for the data. It's just a free burger or whatever but hey, it's something. And it's pretty easy to deny the app so many permissions that it can't really break out and give them all the poo poo it wants. That said, iirc from when we installed the McDonalds app it asks for some loving crazy permissions. Like it wanted 24h access to the GPS.

Also I make sure to close that poo poo immediately upon ordering.

That said, the ultimate goal is to make the apps the preferred way of ordering and at that point they'll cut the specials.

I'm pretty sure your store had a hosed up menu in the app. Each store has their own, and they can be configured wrong, missing items, etc. My local store had triple burgers for some hilarious price in the app, like $1.49, so I tried to buy them on the app. But the order failed with a generic error message. So for that store the app menu was wrong, but the order wouldn't actually go through because some layer of validation blocked it.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

Agronox posted:

Right now over at Wendy's there's an NCAA promotion where you can get a $2 Dave's Double while the tournament is going on,

Shameful ostentatiousness over here, splurging on the second patty for twice the money.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Office vacancy rates 19.80%, highest since 1986

https://cre.moodysanalytics.com/insights/cre-trends/q1-2024-preliminary-trend-announcement/

SF is north of 35% vacant

https://www.cbre.com/insights/figures/san-francisco-office-figures-q4-2023

I have to go in the office one day a week. We have the entire floor and I can see in to most of the buildings around me, +/- three floors

Earlier this week I saw what looked like the front desk person aimlessly wandering the floor, and for the first time, I saw two people in a corner boardroom. Otherwise I've never seen anyone else in the ~8 buildings I can see into

I kind of feel like the 35% vacancy is not including square footage that's permanently off market, or it's being "warehoused" or they're just straight up lying. I dunno what you want to call it but I'd guess the "real vacancy rate" in SF is north of 60%. Our floor plate is designed for about 200 people but I think we've got like 70 people at this office, with maybe 25-30 that actually show up tues-thurs.

Seems like a lot of these buildings are owned by groups of pension plans looking for 4%+ gains as a way to diversify out of the stock market

Will pensions get out of the landlord business? Who will buy in?

I know the government of Taiwan and I think Germany have bought buildings in downtown but it was mostly just taking advantage of an opportunity. Moody's is saying valuations have gone down by 40% and won't recover until 2050. That's just... An enormous loss of wealth? Are these funds just writing down the loss and moving on?

Sundae
Dec 1, 2005

Hadlock posted:

That's just... An enormous loss of wealth? Are these funds just writing down the loss and moving on?

Not like I know poo poo about gently caress, but I'd venture a guess that there's a bit of the old thing with people's house values going on as well: your house isn't actually "worth more" until you sell it and realize the gains. Maybe the reverse holds true on a long-enough timeline. Hold onto that underwater commercial property as long as you can and ignore the value decline, don't price it in until it's more convenient / comes up enough? If you're hosed either way, might as well hold on until you're a little less hosed?

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Westfield Mall, those hotels in downtown SF that represent 10% of all hotel occupancy in the city, etc, all those are bought with what's called a no-recourse loan with an enormous balloon payment due after ~5 years. And so now all those balloon payments are coming due, one by one. As long as the value keeps going up, your equity grows, the bank gets enormous refinance fees, everyone wins. I'm not sure how it works for B and C class office space, and I don't know poo poo about gently caress either, but I'm of the assumption that ~95% of commercial real estate is on this debt-equity treadmill.

Jp Morgan Chase and others have been releasing statements since like 2022 basically saying that it's largely regional banks that are holding this debt, and they're going to write down (I forget) $180 billion in losses between now and (I forget) 2027

Probably there's a bunch of people underwater on properties hoping the economy tanks and they can refinance their blue chip properties before they run out of money. The guys who walked away from the SF hotels said they'd been running at a loss for like 18 months.

No recourse means, apparently, you can just hand over the deed and keys with no penalty or fees. They only offer these kinds of loans on class a properties that are virtually guaranteed to generate revenue forever, like hotels within 10 blocks of downtown sf, or shopping centers with supermarkets in them

Both of those links are great reads with way more detail than I can convey

PIZZA.BAT
Nov 12, 2016

:cheers:

Sundae posted:

Not like I know poo poo about gently caress, but I'd venture a guess that there's a bit of the old thing with people's house values going on as well: your house isn't actually "worth more" until you sell it and realize the gains. Maybe the reverse holds true on a long-enough timeline. Hold onto that underwater commercial property as long as you can and ignore the value decline, don't price it in until it's more convenient / comes up enough? If you're hosed either way, might as well hold on until you're a little less hosed?

“In the long run we’re all dead”

People will want to realize gains or cut their losses eventually

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You can borrow against (leverage) equity for higher returns than your borrowing costs, while maintaining control of the original asset. Pretty valuable. Especially for something like a teacher's or police pension, or university trust which will have a lifetime measured in centuries. There's that Dutch water bond that isn't inflation adjusted but pays out like $4 a year that's like 350 years old. The water district that issued it is still around :allears:

https://news.yale.edu/2015/09/22/living-artifact-dutch-golden-age-yale-s-367-year-old-water-bond-still-pays-interest

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Smashmouth-ish-ly "well, the jobs keep coming and they don't stop coming..."

New York Times (free link) posted:

Employers added 303,000 jobs in the 39th straight month of growth.

Another month — another burst of strong job gains. Employers added 303,000 jobs in March on a seasonally adjusted basis, the Labor Department reported on Friday.

It was the 39th straight month of job growth. The unemployment rate fell to 3.8 percent, from 3.9 percent in February.

The continuing strength, labor market analysts say, may increase confidence among investors and the Federal Reserve that the U.S. economy has reached a healthy equilibrium in which a steady roll of commercial activity, growing employment and rising wages coexist.

It’s a remarkable change from a year ago, when top financial analysts were largely convinced that a recession was only months away.

From late 2021 to early 2023, inflation was outstripping wage gains, but that now appears to have firmly shifted, even as wage increases cool from their peak average rates in 2022. Average hourly earnings for workers rose 0.3 percent in March from the previous month and were up 4.1 percent from March 2023.

The “continued vigor,” said Joe Davis, the global chief economist at Vanguard, has come from “household balance sheets bolstered by pandemic-related fiscal policy and a virtuous cycle where job growth, wages and consumption fuel one another.”

Data analysts note that better-than-expected gains in business productivity and work force participation have added fuel, too. Businesses large and small have had to navigate an obstacle course this decade: a pandemic, inflationary pressures and a steep rise in the cost of credit. But recently released data from the Bureau of Economic Analysis shows corporate profits have reached a record high.

Officials at the Federal Reserve, which rapidly raised interest rates in 2022 and early 2023 to combat inflation, have expressed cautious optimism that they are approaching their goals of low unemployment and more stable prices.

Inflation has fallen drastically from its peak of 7.1 percent, according to the Fed’s preferred measure. But it ticked up in February to 2.5 percent, still a half-percentage point away from the Fed’s target. And some worry that rising oil prices or geopolitical chaos could upend the delicate state of affairs.

Sal Gilbertie, the chief executive at Teucrium Trading, which covers commodities markets, said he thinks that energy prices could do a “touch higher on oil if Ukraine keeps the pressure on Russia and economic numbers remain healthy.”

The link is to the live update page, where some NYTimes reporters are also giving quick impressions as they further analyze the data and report. Here are a few of them...

Lydia DePillis posted:

After some wild revisions in the last few months, they were relatively tame this month, adding a collective 22,000 jobs over January and February.

Ben Casselman posted:

The household survey, which had been showing much weaker job gains (and even outright losses) in recent months, was much stronger in March. Nearly half a million more people were employed last month, according to that survey.

Lydia DePillis posted:

This is starting to look like not a slowdown. Last month’s gain is now substantially above the previous 12-month average of 231,000 jobs.

Lydia DePillis posted:

In a landmark, the leisure and hospitality industry returned to its employment level in February 2020, and now sits at about 16.9 million jobs.

Ben Casselman posted:

The Black unemployment rate rose 0.8 percentage points to 6.4 percent, the highest since August 2022. The monthly numbers can bounce around, but the big jump is certainly concerning.

hobbez
Mar 1, 2012

Don't care. Just do not care. We win, you lose. You do though, you seem to care very much

I'm going to go ride my mountain bike, later nerds.
Four rate cuts this year? I’m starting to seriously doubt we will see that many, or even any at all. The data is all going the other way.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Hadlock posted:

I kind of feel like the 35% vacancy is not including square footage that's permanently off market, or it's being "warehoused" or they're just straight up lying. I dunno what you want to call it but I'd guess the "real vacancy rate" in SF is north of 60%. Our floor plate is designed for about 200 people but I think we've got like 70 people at this office, with maybe 25-30 that actually show up tues-thurs.

Purely anecdotally, but yeah I think the under utilization rate has to be through the roof. I'm not in SF but another decent sized metro area and the offices are loving ghost towns due to people fighting return to office mandates. You'll have whatever poor front desk SOB was low enough down the totem pole to be forced to show up every day and be a point of contact for the public, and then whatever 20%-30% of the workforce is doing their boss-mandated 1-2 days in on that day. It's loving murdering the restaurants near them, because all those places were really dependent on lunch time sales.

Meanwhile the strip malls in the burbs full of retail, dentist offices, and other similar businesses where you pretty much have to have people there in person are doing much better.

A generation of white collar workers figured out that they can work just as well from their home as they can from the office, and they don't want to go back. Even if management "wins" and gets a 2/3 hybrid schedule split that's still anywhere from 40-60% of the normal office population not there on any given day. Which means that downtowns have approximately half of the commuters to bring in related business (food, transport,etc) and the people signing the leases don't need nearly as much space.

There's going to be a shake out. No idea what it looks like, but everyone having twice the office capacity as they really need obviously isn't long term tenable.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
its a 50%, 90%, 95% mispricing. only the investors are leveraged to hell and back so they'll lose their shirts at 25% down. wile e coyote energy, frankly

real estate is basically deadweight loss for an economy so i unironically think thats one of the actual sources of the broad-based good economic news

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

bob dobbs is dead posted:

its a 50%, 90%, 95% mispricing. only the investors are leveraged to hell and back so they'll lose their shirts at 25% down. wile e coyote energy, frankly

real estate is basically deadweight loss for an economy so i unironically think thats one of the actual sources of the broad-based good economic news

The poo poo I fret about are who, exactly, the over-leveraged inverters are. It loving sucks to find out your pension is screwed after 30 years of being a teacher or whatever because some MBA big brain decided to plow a bunch of cash into down town SF.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
defined benefit is the purest example of a principal agent problem that exists, so that's just volume CLVII of that poo poo happening. too bad defined contribution still sucks, but at least the principal and agent ends up being the same peep at different ages

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

bob dobbs is dead posted:

"The liquidation of the rentier", as some folks are calling it.

Right now in Austin, the most iconic new building in our skyline is completely empty because Google leased the whole thing and still hasn't moved anyone in. (Despite the place having its occupancy permit for nearly a year now.)

Something will end up shaking all this up. A sudden influx of very cheap real estate tends to create unexpected opportunities. Conversion of office to residential is extremely difficult because of the differences in building codes between the two, but maybe we'll see dirt-cheap studio spaces or other creative/entertaining in-person businesses popping up to fill in these cavities in our major cities. Hell, maybe we'll see new data/cloud centers popping up to take advantage of their 0.0001ns speed advantage you get being right in the middle of a city instead of out in the deep exurbs...

You know, after a lot of real estate investors see some serious losses.

EDIT: Added a link to appease the thread-lord.

LanceHunter fucked around with this message at 17:12 on Apr 5, 2024

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

This does not make sense when, again, aggregate indicia also indicate improvements. The belief that things are worse is false. It remains false.
Building-sized escape rooms. Indoor driving ranges. Elaborate embedded theater production experiences. Casinos.

tumblr hype man
Jul 29, 2008

nice meltdown
Slippery Tilde

Hadlock posted:

Westfield Mall, those hotels in downtown SF that represent 10% of all hotel occupancy in the city, etc, all those are bought with what's called a no-recourse loan with an enormous balloon payment due after ~5 years. And so now all those balloon payments are coming due, one by one. As long as the value keeps going up, your equity grows, the bank gets enormous refinance fees, everyone wins. I'm not sure how it works for B and C class office space, and I don't know poo poo about gently caress either, but I'm of the assumption that ~95% of commercial real estate is on this debt-equity treadmill.

Jp Morgan Chase and others have been releasing statements since like 2022 basically saying that it's largely regional banks that are holding this debt, and they're going to write down (I forget) $180 billion in losses between now and (I forget) 2027

Probably there's a bunch of people underwater on properties hoping the economy tanks and they can refinance their blue chip properties before they run out of money. The guys who walked away from the SF hotels said they'd been running at a loss for like 18 months.

No recourse means, apparently, you can just hand over the deed and keys with no penalty or fees. They only offer these kinds of loans on class a properties that are virtually guaranteed to generate revenue forever, like hotels within 10 blocks of downtown sf, or shopping centers with supermarkets in them

Both of those links are great reads with way more detail than I can convey

Class B and C that are financed by regional banks are generally structured as follows. 5-10 year terms with 25-year amortizations, at a 75-80% LTV. That LTV is based on an appraisal that happens prior to the financing or purchase. Both recourse and non-recourse loans exist, depending on the credit appetite of the lender. The quality of the recourse also varies, sometimes the guarantor is super liquid and can pay off the loan, sometimes they’ve put everything they have in to that specific building. Rate structures can vary but you’re usually looking at a 3-5 year fixes rate which then adjusts to market for another 3-5 years.

There are also a bunch of more exotic structures, and even government backed (generally SBA 504, although some 7(a) as well) options.

I’ve financed some of these buildings, although I do less CRE than my coworkers since I’m primarily financing operating businesses for a smaller regional bank.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

Discendo Vox posted:

Building-sized escape rooms. Indoor driving ranges. Elaborate embedded theater production experiences. Casinos.

A Meow Wolf installation in every city!

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?
Most of where I've seen, anyREIT who can is violently pivoting to residential real estate and trying to unload commercial other than warehouses. Meanwhile warehouses are even sitting drat near half empty just because they built so many of them in the past 5 years. Lease rates are under $0.50/sqft. There's a big trend in trying to buy up entire residential neighborhoods and converting them into rentals or buying everything available in an area to try and set the market value of flips. Lots of stuff just sitting on market too as it's pricing everyone out. I keep expecting a blood bath any day now but it just shambles along like a zombie.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

To the 10 posts in a row with no links, If you're gonna quote facts feel free to drop a link in the post to back it up

D-Pad
Jun 28, 2006

I personally am not sure the push by employees to continue to work from home is going to last in the long run. I worked from home for almost 6 years during the 2010s and interacted with a lot of people who did the same. In my anecdotal experience everybody loves it for 2-3 years at the most and then things start changing. Personally, I started feeling massively isolated and depressed as I approached year 3 and absolutely started to hate it after that. Some people thrive in the environment, but there is a significant chunk of people who will be like me and after a couple of years realize the total lack of social interaction is a real problem for them. Particularly when you have a family so you aren't able to go out and be social frequently in your off hours and going to work everyday, as much as it sucked in so many ways, was actually providing a lot of social benefits that you just don't realize until they've been gone for a while. But like I said there are also a lot of personality types that thrive in a wfh setup and even do better more productive work on an indefinite basis compared to the office environment. I predict we will see a split in wfh sentiments between the two groups in the next year or two and it will be interesting to see what happens. Hybrid programs will prolong the status quo for longer than pure wfh but 1-2 days in the office is not enough for some people I believe.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

You have to be more specific

FT WFH
2 day a week WFH
3 day a week WFH

In my experience 2 day WFH means the juniors and half the C suite follow the rules and come in three days a week, but mid level + senior come in on days that suit them, and parents come in whenever they feel like it. A lot of people will pair a week of "casually approved" WFH with a week of formally approved vacation and they'll work from Spain or Jamaica or whatever

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

D-Pad posted:

I personally am not sure the push by employees to continue to work from home is going to last in the long run. I worked from home for almost 6 years during the 2010s and interacted with a lot of people who did the same. In my anecdotal experience everybody loves it for 2-3 years at the most and then things start changing. Personally, I started feeling massively isolated and depressed as I approached year 3 and absolutely started to hate it after that. Some people thrive in the environment, but there is a significant chunk of people who will be like me and after a couple of years realize the total lack of social interaction is a real problem for them. Particularly when you have a family so you aren't able to go out and be social frequently in your off hours and going to work everyday, as much as it sucked in so many ways, was actually providing a lot of social benefits that you just don't realize until they've been gone for a while. But like I said there are also a lot of personality types that thrive in a wfh setup and even do better more productive work on an indefinite basis compared to the office environment. I predict we will see a split in wfh sentiments between the two groups in the next year or two and it will be interesting to see what happens. Hybrid programs will prolong the status quo for longer than pure wfh but 1-2 days in the office is not enough for some people I believe.

The people who use the office as a social club are a big part of the reason the rest of us want to stay WFH.

Baddog
May 12, 2001

D-Pad posted:

I dunno, it's kinda weird that we've built in so much 'social' expectations to the office environment. And there does seem to be a sea change for the younger generations.

Work is where you should be working, not loving around. If I could wave a magic wand and have everyone just accept that actual *work* should be about 20 hours a week, (most of us have probably put in way less and been extremely productive in comparison to peers), and your social needs should come from outside interests, I think everything would be fine. Meet people at the gym, your kid's school, outdoors - anywhere but the goddamn office. For me it was extremely unhealthy to spend 70+ hours a week in the office, and most of that was just waiting for someone else to get their poo poo done and loving around with everyone else who was also bought into the "we have to be here because this is what we all do".

But now we definitely have the technology to coordinate all of that poo poo and be connected to the work "pipelines" without having to be sitting physically asses to elbows with each other.

Cyrano4747
Sep 25, 2006

Baddog posted:

I dunno, it's kinda weird that we've built in so much 'social' expectations to the office environment. And there does seem to be a sea change for the younger generations.

Work is where you should be working, not loving around. If I could wave a magic wand and have everyone just accept that actual *work* should be about 20 hours a week, (most of us have probably put in way less and been extremely productive in comparison to peers), and your social needs should come from outside interests, I think everything would be fine. Meet people at the gym, your kid's school, outdoors - anywhere but the goddamn office. For me it was extremely unhealthy to spend 70+ hours a week in the office, and most of that was just waiting for someone else to get their poo poo done and loving around with everyone else who was also bought into the "we have to be here because this is what we all do".

But now we definitely have the technology to coordinate all of that poo poo and be connected to the work "pipelines" without having to be sitting physically asses to elbows with each other.

Another big part of it is removing the commute. Cut an hour out each way and that gives you two extra hours a day to do whatever passes for socialization for you that isn't watercooler chat between meetings.

I think the main hurdle for people is that it's harder to meet people as an adult unless you really get out there and try to engage. Going into the office forces you to meet and interact with new people.

But I don't think that's reason enough to commute in for work. Join a club, volunteer if that's your thing, chat up your neighbors, whatever. It will take a bit more effort than just plopping your butt in an office chair and asking the person in the next cubicle over what they thought about last night's game, but the up side is that you'lll actually have time to do that now.

The junk collector
Aug 10, 2005
Hey do you want that motherboard?

Hadlock posted:

To the 10 posts in a row with no links, If you're gonna quote facts feel free to drop a link in the post to back it up

I'm phone posting so mostly "anecdata" and anything more is a big pain in the rear end but Blackstones as a stand in for the broader market has some tidbits from their 2023 reports.

Blackstone earnings report posted:

Marking a 58 percent drop compared to the same period in 2022, according to the firm’s recently announced earnings filing and a report by Mingtiandi. The decrease in income from asset sales and disposals was a result of a market slowdown, with net realizations down by 98 percent,

"Chief Operating Officer Jonathan Gray posted:

Blackstone’s leadership remains confident in the company’s ability to outpace the market and shift into the highest-yielding segments of the real estate industry. Logistics now constitute 40 percent of Blackstone’s real estate portfolio, up from zero in 2007, with market rents for warehouse space generally growing at double-digit rates. Despite the downturn, the company is ready to take advantage of potential opportunities, with a sizable amount of investment dollars available to capitalize on dislocations. “Our latest fundraising cycle has positioned us very well for the current environment.  We have nearly $200 billion in dry powder to take advantage of dislocations.”

They also just bought Tricon like in January.

They're buying a lot of real estate and growing the total fund but have shed billions in office space. I'll try to get direct links later.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Cyrano4747 posted:

The people who use the office as a social club are a big part of the reason the rest of us want to stay WFH.

People who wont get hobbies want the rest of us to suffer.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
there is definitely actual work poo poo that benefits being in person even for many white collar sir-types-a-lot jobs. the trick is being able to tell the difference and being flexible enough to adjust.

I personally don't care for working from home because if I'm home I want to hang out with my kid and I don't get anything done. If I walk 20 minutes to the office I get more done and then I can go hang out with my kid later.

edit: this would likely be a different conversation if I had a 1 hour driving commute

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

I like the idea of the "third place" traditionally place 1 was home, place 2 was work, place 3 was church, or the YMCA, rotary club, stone masons, yacht club, golf club, "the lodge" or a pub or a gym

WFH removes place 2 but also makes place 3 that much more important. If you don't have a place 3 then yeah I guess working in an office and using it as a social club is a real thing

Edit: I have both a kid and a 1 hour+ commute, largely because WFH allowed me to buy a reasonable home in a good school district at a reasonable cost

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

D-Pad posted:

I personally am not sure the push by employees to continue to work from home is going to last in the long run.

I'm not sure at what point it becomes the long run for you, but the pandemic started over 4 years ago. BLS statistics show that remote work is increasing since they started polling for it in Oct. 2022

https://www.bls.gov/cps/telework.htm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoubleT2172
Sep 24, 2007

Jenkl posted:

People who wont get hobbies want the rest of us to suffer.

It's really this. People who don't have a life outside work and get all their socialization in the week from the office think it's required for every person to be happy.