Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

Captain Hygiene posted:

New standard face button layout:
pre:
     Jump
Lean      Lean
left      right 
    Crouch 
:hmmyes:

I've been playing Death Stranding and this just gave me a slight seizure just thinking about it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

malae fidei cum XI_XXVI_MMIX
Control scheme standards are a fascinating topic. Back in the early 3D era there were so many weird ideas on how to move in 3D space with different camera setups. And the wild thing is there wasn't a control scheme standardization but rather games kinda standardized themselves into what works best for everyone.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

Arivia posted:

Apparently the weapon unlocks are in the same interface as the in game cosmetic micro transactions. I don’t know if you knew that but I’ve heard it causes some people to miss new game abilities since they’re so used to tuning out “store” tabs or whatever.

Dumb. Dumb! Why would you put important poo poo like that in the battle pass screen?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Vic posted:

Control scheme standards are a fascinating topic. Back in the early 3D era there were so many weird ideas on how to move in 3D space with different camera setups. And the wild thing is there wasn't a control scheme standardization but rather games kinda standardized themselves into what works best for everyone.

I've also been thinking about this while playing through the first three Metal Gear Solid games a bit ago. It was interesting to think about their thought process in designing a scheme encompassing a pretty sophisticated set of controls as the controller itself was becoming pretty complex. I like seeing how the wonky-but-usable design they came up with evolved over the years, and ultimately became the extremely good one they had in MGSV.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

isn’t jump triangle (well, X, Nintendo’s triangle, gently caress Microsoft for ruining decades of controller standardization - X goes on top motherfuckers) in the new Zelda games

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Seems like the right time to bring this back up:

Muscle Tracer posted:

War of the Monsters, 2003

On the one hand, it's pretty progressive for a fighting game from 2003 to have attacks on the shoulder buttons. On the other, this control scheme doesn't use ANY of the face buttons, but it does map block and "action" (something you will be pressing CONSTANTLY to pick up debris and climb buildings) to L3 and R3, before those were even the accepted names of pressing in the sticks.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Vandar posted:

Dumb. Dumb! Why would you put important poo poo like that in the battle pass screen?

Hey at least you have your new guns now :v:

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Rockman Reserve posted:

isn’t jump triangle (well, X, Nintendo’s triangle, gently caress Microsoft for ruining decades of controller standardization - X goes on top motherfuckers) in the new Zelda games

Yes, if for some reason you don't instantly toggle it back to a sane scheme

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

Nintendo is a japanese company and tategaki (text columns, read right to left) is a thing that makes immediate sense to japanese audiences.

Also SEGA went with (LTR) 1 2 and A B C concurrently so harrumph

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

oh word how’d that work out for SEGA?

e: and since Japanese still reads horizontal text left to right idk why you’re claiming that as a reason for Microsoft to change a control layout used since the SNES that does not actually include any columns of text at all

Rockman Reserve has a new favorite as of 01:01 on Apr 3, 2024

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Rockman Reserve posted:

oh word how’d that work out for SEGA?

e: and since Japanese still reads horizontal text left to right idk why you’re claiming that as a reason for Microsoft to change a control layout used since the SNES that does not actually include any columns of text at all

SEGA wasn't doomed by button layouts, and controllers aren't horizontal text (reason why manga is the way it is)

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

they aren’t vertical text either (the reason your argument is dumb)

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

You could just google how that's a thing even for single character columns rather than being rude

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
Princess Peach: Showtime! has been fun (the rehearsal levels can gently caress right off) but the game is poorly set up when it comes to replaying levels.

You probably won't get everything during your first time through a level, so you'll eventually go through it again at least one more time. Enjoy sitting through the same multiple scenes of unskippable dialogue you did the first time with no acknowledgement that you've been through this level before or the option to skip it. And then the postgame introduces another reason to play through levels again while making you sit through the same dialogue scenes.

Even the transformation scenes are only partially unskippable. :psyduck:

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!

Pookah posted:

It's the same in console Skyrim. It's doubly annoying because it seems to be almost impossible to jump while sprinting, like the two button presses can't be processed at the same time.

You actually can't sprintjump in vanilla Skyrim on any version! It's literally not allowed, because if you could sprint and jump, you wouldn't need to Whirlwind Sprint across gaps in dungeons! They only make the gaps the length of the level 1 shout, because that's the only one you're guaranteed to get playing the main story, and sprintjumping (with a mod that enables it) covers about the same distance.

Pookah
Aug 21, 2008

🪶Caw🪶

JackSplater posted:

You actually can't sprintjump in vanilla Skyrim on any version! It's literally not allowed, because if you could sprint and jump, you wouldn't need to Whirlwind Sprint across gaps in dungeons! They only make the gaps the length of the level 1 shout, because that's the only one you're guaranteed to get playing the main story, and sprintjumping (with a mod that enables it) covers about the same distance.

Are you serious? That is such backwards and lazy design

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013

kazil posted:

Days Gone is too goddamn long

You're not wrong, but I feel it really works thematically: both you the player and your character of Deacon St John are persisting in a dire, unfun world because you are just too drat stubborn to quit.

Obviously that's not what the developer was going for but I feel art is where you find it.

Cage
Jul 17, 2003
www.revivethedrive.org
I'm having a ton of fun in Days Gone it can go as long as it wants. I've killed a few hordes but I think I just had my first story mission horde so probably a ways to go. The first time the game threw a bear at you was awesome. The first breaker was equally as cool. Early game the wolves would actually surprise and frighten me a couple times but now I've got maxed out stamina and focus I feel like a terminator badass. A terminator badass that will get taken down in 3 seconds by a horde.

I do hate the dialogue for when you rescue people, thats pretty grating.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Ugh, I hope the security camera/attack drone setup in Bioshock doesn't become a mainstay for the rest of the game. Right now, either sneaking and dealing with it or trying to use a distraction plasmid is Not Fun. Just another in the long list of games that annoy me by putting stealth in, without having a well-developed stealth system deeply ingrained into the core mechanics.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Bad news, you'll be dealing with security all game long. Good news, there's a handful of different options you can take with them, though I guess ymmv on whether they're good enough.

Sneaking past them or using security decoy are the two least effective options, though you can get a tonic that makes the former more forgiving. And the majority of them are placed in spots where it's really not that hard to cover creep on 'em anyway. Like the stealth being so basic actually works in your favor more often than not.

Edit: I can't tell if these should seriously be considered spoilers for game mechanics or are gonna make you slap your forehead but have you tried zapping them with electricity? And then either hacking them or destroying them?

John Murdoch has a new favorite as of 22:03 on Apr 4, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
gently caress Dead Island 2 for doing the giant robot spider thing. It is Kevin Smith's story about Wild Wild West all over again. I get it, the movie star character made for a good opportunity to have the player fight a big mechanical monster on the movie lot. This game is a love letter to horror movies and they often have big spiders. But you don't have to do it. And you don't have to make me fight one in a game where you hit zombies with static infused wrenches.

Here are pictures. It jumps around and shoots acid and scree's like all game spiders do. It's not great. I don't like it. Why did they do this. This is a zombie dropkick game. You are still kicking one and the spider is even just the set dressing so WHY??

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 22:35 on Apr 4, 2024

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
The setup is even kind of brilliant, too. The main side-character is a movie star and when the zompocalypse hit they were filming RISE OF THE GOD SPIDER and so the whole set is still there. It's foreshadowed by posters and maps and all kinds of fun stuff. If you're NOT afraid of spiders I heartily recommend this game!! If you are then gently caress you I guess??

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

CJacobs posted:

If you are then gently caress you I guess??

:respek::smith:

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

CJacobs posted:

The setup is even kind of brilliant, too. The main side-character is a movie star and when the zompocalypse hit they were filming RISE OF THE GOD SPIDER and so the whole set is still there. It's foreshadowed by posters and maps and all kinds of fun stuff. If you're NOT afraid of spiders I heartily recommend this game!! If you are then gently caress you I guess??

Thanks for the recommendation. I’ll pick it up tomorrow.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
I'm not even that degree of arachnophobic and it still weirds me out to look at it. It's so drat realistically detailed.

JackSplater
Nov 20, 2014

Metal Coat? It's already active?!
The only good spider boss in a video game was Metal Gear Excelsus. Or maybe Gohma, if that counts. And it was good because it was awesome, not because fighting it was good.

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.

JackSplater posted:

The only good spider boss in a video game was Metal Gear Excelsus. Or maybe Gohma, if that counts. And it was good because it was awesome, not because fighting it was good.

I actually thought they did a good job with the Ocarina of Time Gohma in not making it look like a spider. If anything I guess it looked more like a bat scorpion thing, but I think it was separate enough from anything to scare anyone on that front. My brother doesn't like spiders and I don't like bats, but we always enjoyed OoT.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

JackSplater posted:

Quelaag?

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

Nerscylla? Rakna-Kadaki?

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

The hot Shelob from the Mordo games

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

rom

Philippe
Aug 9, 2013

(she/her)

Opopanax posted:

The hot Shelob from the Mordo games

uh she was never actually a boss and furthermore

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Palworld is an awesome concept and I love watching the little guys cart stuff around and whatnot. It's so charming on the surface. But underneath that it's the most soulless and charmless product I can recall playing. It's really hard to describe exactly but the world genuinely feels soulless to me, like things are just placed arbitrarily and nobody gave any artistic consideration to the world-building or design consideration to the world layout. It feels so generic, like you told an AI to make the world. The game mechanics are basically just Ark. Ark with Pokemon in a less inspired world basically summarizes the game.

I'm still enjoying myself but I wish someone with actual vision beyond dollar signs made the game instead.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

Palworld is the one where they didn't bother to create their own monsters and instead just lazily copied pokemon designs directly except with different skins, right?

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

For a lot of them yeah.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Are goons still pining for Nintendo to come crashing down on the Palworld people for the crime of fox that breathes fire?

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Leal posted:

Are goons still pining for Nintendo to come crashing down on the Palworld people for the crime of fox that breathes fire?

I think we've all generally realized that being lazy is different from being criminally lazy; none of Palworld's designs are original, but they don't cross into plagiarism.

Personally, my feeling on Palworld is that its attempt to imitate Pokemon failed miserably because they didn't bother with an important category for the whole monster-taming genre: the things. I don't care if a creature designer can make a penguin cute and marketable, anyone can do that, penguins are already most of the way there. Give me your equivalent of Grimer or Magnemite, show me how you make me like an inanimate object with googly eyes!

Vic
Nov 26, 2009

Yeah Palworld is in this game genre of [1st/3rd person, survival, open ended, open world, builder, crafter, rpgs] that's entirely populated by janky, unfinished, poorly optimized, half-abandoned games.

Even the big budget ones are either crappy and derivative with tons of nice looking assets being thrown at an increasingly more rickety framework.

There is a couple of new ones launched into permanent early access every year.

It's really weird. Like even Minecraft feels kinda unfinished.

Taeke
Feb 2, 2010

I'm hoping the success of Palworld will make Nintendo less complacent. There's an obvious market for an actually good and well developed multiplayer Pokemon game but for some reason they never got off their rear end to actually make it. They're just churning out increasingly lovely games because people would buy it anyway, for lack or a better alternative. Leaving that niche open for anyone to step in is a huge risk for a competitor to, you know, actually develop something that competes with pokemon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Palworld is utter genius because it combines pokemon with open world crafting sims, the two genres for which people have no standards whatsoever.