Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Just finished it with the true ending, game owns despite it being Objectively Mid in a lot of ways, which is hilarious. Itsuno once again ran overbudget and overtime on his pet project, and yet this time it's a financial success and record-breaker and thus they can't even use that against him. My man keeps on winning.

Gonna wait on the first big update for a replay with a lot of mods. Apparently augment-modifying stuff isn't online safe, but a fair bit remains totally fine to use, so I'm excited for it.

it's in that weird twilight zone where it's a game that i love but which i would have extreme difficulty recommending to anyone out of the blue, especially since it has one of the soggiest middles i've seen in a while, and the game only truly gets elevated to something genuinely phenomenal once you get to the true ending. i can easily see people nearly clearing the map and then bouncing off the main quest under the assumption that they've still got a long slog ahead and end up missing out on the bow that ties the whole experience together

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Can someone explain the timing on Warrior's gale slash in absolute idiot terms, plz and thx.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

So I figured out an extremely easy/reliable way to do the Medusa thing.

- Use Mystic Archer's Soporofic Bolt a few times to put her to sleep (this ability is actually pretty damned good in general, usually seems to only take 2 or 3 shots to sleep large enemies)

- Literally hit her head like 1 or 2 times after she falls to the ground (with a dagger; I was using Bolts of the Blue due to the lightning damage but it probably doesn't matter)

That was it. Her head popped off instantly. I think sleeping her for some reason enabled it.

...! posted:

Why did you hire him? When that tutorial popped up for me, I noped away from that pawn immediately

I replaced him immediately after, was just curious.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

AcidCat posted:

Can someone explain the timing on Warrior's gale slash in absolute idiot terms, plz and thx.
Just press the button again when it makes contact. Each hit makes it go a little faster so you'll immediately know you did it right.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

They should make Dragonblight increase pawns strength/magic proportional to how close they are to going genocide man. Make it a gamble.

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

The Lone Badger posted:

They should make Dragonblight increase pawns strength/magic proportional to how close they are to going genocide man. Make it a gamble.

Maybe it does. They do have a line about "I feel a great power coursing through me that's not my own!"

*edit* related to Dragonblight (sort of), what is the effective range on the eternal wakestone? Like if you popped it in a city would it res everyone in the city, or would it just be a small ring around you? If you waited until everyone got moved to the morgue, would it res everyone in there?

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?
My pawn has started sassing the other pawns I hire but not me. Might throw her into the brine just to be safe

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

dragonblight fostering intense paranoia over the slightest perceived deviation from a pawn's robotic personality is genuinely really loving cool conceptually, and i hope it appears in a different game where it's not trivially solvable by just hucking someone into the drink while your party pretends nothing out of the ordinary just happened

Stormgale
Feb 27, 2010

Ytlaya posted:

So I figured out an extremely easy/reliable way to do the Medusa thing.

- Use Mystic Archer's Soporofic Bolt a few times to put her to sleep (this ability is actually pretty damned good in general, usually seems to only take 2 or 3 shots to sleep large enemies)

- Literally hit her head like 1 or 2 times after she falls to the ground (with a dagger; I was using Bolts of the Blue due to the lightning damage but it probably doesn't matter)

That was it. Her head popped off instantly. I think sleeping her for some reason enabled it.

I replaced him immediately after, was just curious.

Stuns or knockdowns can also do it, it's about getting "finisher" damage on the head it seems

toasterwarrior
Nov 11, 2011
Hah, I knew it, Ser Lennart is David Rintoul, VA of Bardin in Vermintide and Sire Melk in Darktide.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

toasterwarrior posted:

Hah, I knew it, Ser Lennart is David Rintoul, VA of Bardin in Vermintide and Sire Melk in Darktide.

"slightly jovial but grizzled mustache guy" ain't bad work if you can get it

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Vermain posted:

dragonblight fostering intense paranoia over the slightest perceived deviation from a pawn's robotic personality is genuinely really loving cool conceptually, and i hope it appears in a different game where it's not trivially solvable by just hucking someone into the drink while your party pretends nothing out of the ordinary just happened
Its also funny how mad it made people launch week for something that's incredibly inconsequential. Mark of a successful mechanic if I ever saw one.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
In the post game is there a way to evacuate Harve? Talking to Ulrika does nothing.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Deified Data posted:

In the post game is there a way to evacuate Harve? Talking to Ulrika does nothing.

Harve automatically evacuates about a day or two after you evacuate Vermund. Or they possibly evacuate themselves, since they're so close to the seafloor shrine. Either way you don't need to directly speak to anyone in Harve to evacuate them.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

homeless snail posted:

Its also funny how mad it made people launch week for something that's incredibly inconsequential. Mark of a successful mechanic if I ever saw one.

I used to think that, but now that I've conducted my experiment, I actually wouldn't say having basically every named NPC in the city be dead is inconsequential. I can see that being a potential show-stopper if it's your first playthrough.

This is, however, mitigated by the fact that you almost have to be trying for it to progress to that point. I'm pretty sure that simply having a full party is enough to prevent it from happening, as the pawns simply keep passing it on to each other.

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
I assume the light that appears in the sea shrine at the end leads to the point of no return?

Edit: Does the timer stop at this point?

Deified Data fucked around with this message at 05:49 on Apr 5, 2024

Valdent
Mar 16, 2016
The one time I fought a Medusa I was leveling magick archer, hit her in the head with a couple ice cubes to knock her down and while I was running around to get to her head the fight ended because the warrior pawn went and chopped her head off on the spot. So some pawns definitely know what to do too.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

There's some buggy stuff going on with Warfarer's multiple weapon equipping stuff. A couple times now I've had this weird issue where it says a weapon is equipped but it isn't (or vice versa). And its weight wrongly either will or won't be factored into how encumbered I am. And/or it'll let me switch to weapons I don't even have in my inventory.

The only way to fix it when it happens seems to be to equip Rearmament and just switch things around some before unequipping things.

toasterwarrior posted:

Speaking of voice-acting, I was apparently wrong about the Japanese Sphinx being Frieza - it's just another VA that sounds very similar, but has done other well-known characters like Orochimaru from Naruto.

Also finally found a video with the JP Sphinx, very good unsettling voice - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeax5dkMht4&t=28s (this video amusingly makes the same mistake as me in thinking it's Frieza, but the comments mention how the VA is actually different)

Deified Data
Nov 3, 2015

Fun Shoe
Beat post-game. It's not the everfall but that's okay, it did it's own thing really effectively. Loved filling up The ruins of Gran Soren.

Anyone else seemingly have their beloved character simply disappear between the dragon fight and the end? I got Ulrika as my beloved and she wasn't even in my top 3 in the end, I got Sara instead lol. I wonder if she died somehow.

Anyway, immediately restarting and playing a thief. Game rules.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
I think I am at the point in the game where I am kind of getting bored. I appreciate that the map is bigger but going through some of it just feels like a slog.

Also, is it just me or is the climbing in this worse than the first game? The camera goes all over the place and by the time you get to where you are going, your stamina is basically at 50% or below.

Magil Zeal
Nov 24, 2008

blackguy32 posted:

Also, is it just me or is the climbing in this worse than the first game? The camera goes all over the place and by the time you get to where you are going, your stamina is basically at 50% or below.

The few times I have tried to climb it has definitely seemed worse than I remember it being in DD1. If you don't spend all of your Stamina trying to reach the head you'll get shaken off in like 2 seconds. I kind of gave up but I haven't been playing thief lately either.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Did you make a max size character and are you encumbered at all?

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

I think they want you to rely more on knocking them over and all that instead of crawling around on em like a lil creepy crawlie

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lmao I got 75,000 xp from killing the Sphinx with the Medusa bow. Probably would have gotten more if I had upgraded it.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I haven't had any issues climbing at all and I was playing a weight 100 character.
Plus, most monsters allow you to stand on them to recover your stamina even.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Still haven't found any Dullahans. I went by a spot people said they can spawn just outside Bakbattahl but I got a Lich instead so I think that one can vary, but it was nice since I got the last wailing crystal I needed for another upgrade.

I'm going to go do the quest in the Misty Marshes and hopefully that's just a weird story gate to getting them to spawn in the world. I think I need a total of 6 bones for the things I need to upgrade.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Think I just encountered another infected pawn on the road. She has obviously glowing eyes. Like her eyes are "throbbing" where they oscillate between being brighter and dimmer.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Deified Data posted:

I assume the light that appears in the sea shrine at the end leads to the point of no return?

Yes

No

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

lol, one of my pawns was infected without me realizing, because a Drake just turned him against me in a fight.

Time for a swim buddy.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Ytlaya posted:

lol, one of my pawns was infected without me realizing, because a Drake just turned him against me in a fight.

Time for a swim buddy.

nah, that's just one of the things that drakes can do. you can knock 'em out and revive them and they'll be totally normal

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Vermain posted:

nah, that's just one of the things that drakes can do. you can knock 'em out and revive them and they'll be totally normal

*wink*

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
Killed my first drake. My first encounter with one was back when i was giving the arcane lancer thing a go and god did that suck, so now with magic archer I can actually target its weak point this time and deal damage without relying entirely on the pawns for everything.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Does Medusa bow have some attribute that makes it do zero damage or something?

I've noticed that my arrows (excluding stuff like exploding arrows) seemingly do Literally Nothing to enemies, or at least so little damage I can't see their health bar change. I can use Spiral Arrow and the health bar will light up but not change at all.

Maybe a bug?

Edit: I also can't burst lizard eggs with arrows from it. They just do nothing at all.

Edit2: Actually, explosive arrows also do nothing.

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:49 on Apr 5, 2024

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

Does Medusa bow have some attribute that makes it do zero damage or something?

I've noticed that my arrows (excluding stuff like exploding arrows) seemingly do Literally Nothing to enemies, or at least so little damage I can't see their health bar change. I can use Spiral Arrow and the health bar will light up but not change at all.

Maybe a bug?

Edit: I also can't burst lizard eggs with arrows from it. They just do nothing at all.
Do you have the Sphinx ring on?

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Trenchdeep posted:

Do you have the Sphinx ring on?

lmao. Yep. I didn't realize I needed to remove it myself. Thank you!

Edit: It's interesting that it doesn't just lower stats, but also prevents your attacks from affecting certain things (like the eggs)

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Apr 5, 2024

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

Trenchdeep posted:

Sphinx ring

Sphinxcter

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

homeless snail posted:

just like dragon rot in sekiro, lol

Deified Data posted:

yes yes

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

lmao

Trenchdeep
Sep 12, 2017

Ytlaya posted:

lmao. Yep. I didn't realize I needed to remove it myself. Thank you!

Edit: It's interesting that it doesn't just lower stats, but also prevents your attacks from affecting certain things (like the eggs)

I made that exact mistake myself lol, it's why it was the first thing I asked

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

Has anyone noticed any gameplay difference for pawns with badges vs pawns without a badge?
My pawn didn't get a single one during my whole playthrough.