Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which season of Doctor Who should get a Blu-ray set next?
This poll is closed.
One of the black-and-white seasons 16 29.63%
Season 7 7 12.96%
Season 11 1 1.85%
Season 13 0 0%
Season 15 2 3.70%
The Key to Time 21 38.89%
Season 21 0 0%
Season 25 7 12.96%
Total: 54 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God, The Eleventh Hour was so loving good. Amelia Pond and The Raggedy Doctor :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

Jerusalem posted:

God, The Eleventh Hour was so loving good. Amelia Pond and The Raggedy Doctor :3:

Amelia Pond waited 14 years and it's now been 14 years since The Eleventh Hour aired

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

jisforjosh posted:

Amelia Pond waited 14 years and it's now been 14 years since The Eleventh Hour aired

Uhhh that was season 5 and we're currently up to season 14, that's only 9 years friend, you must be pretty embarrassed right now. :laugh:

Anyways, we need to warn the people of 2018 about COVID! That way it'll be different from... oh, everybody was warned the first time around... :smith:

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The Eleventh Hour really is the best Doctor introducing episode in the entire new show. I haven't seen the classics, so I can't compare to those.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

SirSamVimes posted:

The Eleventh Hour really is the best Doctor introducing episode in the entire new show. I haven't seen the classics, so I can't compare to those.

Spearhead from Space is pretty great, probably the best of the classic new Doctor episodes, certainly the best one that's intact. It does the same sort of job as 11th Hour in changing production methods as well the cast.

Robot isn't bad, Castrovalva is... fine if you like the Bidmead approach to things, The Twin Dilemma is maybe the worst serial I've ever put in my eyeballs and I think breaks the rule that you can always find a Who fan that'll like something and Time and the Rani has pretty much nothing going for it aside from camp (and it's not even the best episode in that series at being camp).

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

2house2fly posted:

I don't think it even happened again in Moffat's run on the show, characters died but not specifically so the main character wouldn't have to.

I think that was the resolution to the Eaters of Light.

It really feels in the Timeless Children like the only reason the Doctor isn't pressing the button is that that would require her to do anything ever it would mean the end of the show. And then the Master and "Cyber-Masters" (???) stand there silently for like five minutes while Ko Sharmus very slowly convinces the Doctor to let him have the Kill Everyone button.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

And somehow being hit by a hundred laser shots doesn't quite kill him, so he's still able to press the button after being gattling lasered.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair, clearly the Master was using his Tissue Compression Eliminator to compress time. As a result time slowed down and it APPEARED that he and the Cybermen were simply standing there watching the Doctor and Ko have a long chat while doing absolutely loving nothing and not even really reacting to anything... which then sped time up to catch up back to normal, and that brief sped up section allowed him and the Cybermen to all race to his TARDIS in the time it took Ko Sharmus' corpse to push the button and blow up Gallifrey ((again) again) :eng101:

It's simple sci-fi math, people! :byodame:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

SirSamVimes posted:

:yeah:

Honestly I think all of the revival era intro eps have been rock solid, but Smith's is def the best.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I remember the Capaldi intro ep being a loving mess but I haven't watched it since it aired.

Warthur
May 2, 2004

I'm not keen on Eleven's run overall - it's not the disaster Six or Thirteen's were, but I didn't like any of the season arcs and I think by the end Smith and Moffat took 11 in a direction I am very very unhappy with. But The Eleventh Hour was amazing and the best bits of Smith's stint on the show tend in my mind to be the ones which touched on the same spirit.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

PriorMarcus posted:

I remember the Capaldi intro ep being a loving mess but I haven't watched it since it aired.

My main recollection is the entire first half doesn't have enough Doctor in it.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

To be fair even 10 spends 3/4 of his regeneration episode literally asleep before waking up to save the day.

Capaldi spends the first half of his ep being an absolute post-regenerative mess, the first part of the back half being a complete cock to Clara, and the last part defining what his Doctor will be like

Also has one of the hardest lines in all of the revival

"I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you.. thought you might appreciate a drink first, I know I would"

I don't mind 14 and 15 coming out fully cooked, cause that's def fun, but I hope we still get confused regenerations in the future - it's how we got 11th Hour

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Infinitum posted:

To be fair even 10 spends 3/4 of his regeneration episode literally asleep before waking up to save the day.

Capaldi spends the first half of his ep being an absolute post-regenerative mess, the first part of the back half being a complete cock to Clara, and the last part defining what his Doctor will be like

Also has one of the hardest lines in all of the revival

"I've got a horrible feeling I'm going to have to kill you.. thought you might appreciate a drink first, I know I would"

I don't mind 14 and 15 coming out fully cooked, cause that's def fun, but I hope we still get confused regenerations in the future - it's how we got 11th Hour

I think 11th Hour gets it right because WE can see exactly what this new Doctor is like even if HE doesn't know who he is yet.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

The first half of Deep Breath is really bad, the post-regeneration zaniness is unfunny and grating. Everything from the moment they arrive at the restaraunt is good, though and it gave us the most Twelve-Clara exchange possible.

"This is more important than your megalomania!"
"Nothing is more important than my megalomania!"
"...You actually said that."

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Deep Breath is kinda crazy in how bad the first half is and how they seem to flip the switch in the restaurant scene and their descent below into the second half, and suddenly everything is firing on all cylinders.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Rank em!

Post Regeneration Episodes
1 - The Eleventh Hour
2- The Woman Who Fell To Earth
3 - The Christmas Invasion
4 - Deep Breath

Rose, The Star Beast, The Giggle/The Church on Ruby Road are all odd ducks - as they're all 'fully cooked' Doctors.

If I were to include them they'd look like this

New Doctor Episodes
1 - The Eleventh Hour
2 - The Giggle/Church on Ruby Road
3 - The Star Beast
4 - The Woman Who Fell To Earth
5 - The Christmas Invasion
6 - Deep Breath
7 - Rose

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

The Woman Who Fell to Earth showed such great promise, and I still think it stands up really well as an intro episode, but sadly it was an intro to a Doctor and an era of the show that we didn't actually end up getting :smith:

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Robot will always have a special place in my heart because I just immediately understood what Tom Baker wanted to do with the character and wanted to see it, but Spearhead from Space definitely establishes its era really well.

An Unearthly Child is a really good first episode.

Power of the Daleks sort of makes the Daleks scary again, so there's that.

I don't really like Castrovalva, The Twin Dilemma is really bad and good grief, I'd forgotten Seven's intro was a Rani serial. And then Eight has the failed TV pilot. Real rough patch for awhile there.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Fil5000 posted:

Spearhead from Space is pretty great, probably the best of the classic new Doctor episodes, certainly the best one that's intact. It does the same sort of job as 11th Hour in changing production methods as well the cast.

Robot isn't bad, Castrovalva is... fine if you like the Bidmead approach to things, The Twin Dilemma is maybe the worst serial I've ever put in my eyeballs and I think breaks the rule that you can always find a Who fan that'll like something and Time and the Rani has pretty much nothing going for it aside from camp (and it's not even the best episode in that series at being camp).

I can't help but notice you skipped over one "introduce the newly regenerated Doctor" story. Probably because Power of the Daleks is so good that it would interrupt answering the question to make you rave about how good Power of the Daleks is.

It's sooooo good.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

The Woman Who Fell to Earth showed such great promise, and I still think it stands up really well as an intro episode, but sadly it was an intro to a Doctor and an era of the show that we didn't actually end up getting :smith:

Yeah basically. The Woman Who Fell To Earth separated from the rest of the season is an EXTREMELY great intro ep.
Dark, spooky, with a menacing enemy to defeat, ending with the inklings of a steampunk engineer Doctor? Can't wait!

https://i.imgur.com/TOuJoSr.mp4
:allears:

So much potential wasted :smith:

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Also while it was never going to last since she needed the clean break in looks AND I really dug the Doctor's eventual new outfit... but she absolutely rocked the tattered remains of Capaldi's outfit, it was a great look.

Forktoss
Feb 13, 2012

I'm OK, you're so-so

I thought I had just a short while ago posted a ranking of Doctors' debut episodes, so I looked through my post history and indeed I had... about three years ago. Time flies when there's actually some new Doctor Who to watch occasionally!

Forktoss from the past posted:

Doctor debut stories that are very bad:
Twin Dilemma, Time and the Rani (haven't watched this in ages though [still haven't], it might be secretly good like a lot of Season 24), Christmas Invasion, Deep Breath

Doctor debut stories that aren't great but do what they need to do:
Robot, TV Movie

Doctor debut stories that are very good and work great as an introduction to the show:
An Unearthly Child, Spearhead from Space, Rose, Eleventh Hour, Woman Who Fell to Earth (haven't rewatched this either [still haven't], I remember liking it when it aired but I don't know if it holds up)

Doctor debut stories that are brilliant but that I would absolutely never recommend as an introduction to the show:
Power of the Daleks, Castrovalva [love that Bidmead]

Since then we've also had The Star Beast and The Church on Ruby Road, both of which I liked but I'm not sure how to categorise. The Star Beast is steeped 15-year-old in Tennant-era lore and based on a 45-year-old DWM comic, so in that sense it's not exactly approachable to newcomers, but it's the debut RTD and Disney banked their New Who 2.0 on and it seemed to work fine, so what do I know. As for The Church on Ruby Road, I'll have to wait and see more of the Gatwa era before I can tell whether it's representative of what the show is now going to be like.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Random Stranger posted:

I can't help but notice you skipped over one "introduce the newly regenerated Doctor" story. Probably because Power of the Daleks is so good that it would interrupt answering the question to make you rave about how good Power of the Daleks is.

It's sooooo good.

Power is great but I've only experienced it in novel form so I don't know that I can judge it properly.

Also fun barely related fact, I have a biscuit tin signed by John Peel, writer of the Power novellisation and also the first New Adventure.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Fil5000 posted:

Power is great but I've only experienced it in novel form so I don't know that I can judge it properly.

They did a really good animated release (and I got to see it at a movie screening, which was a treat), and though it isn't quite the same as getting to actually see Troughton's performance, it's a huge step up from the original way I "watched" it via a limited telesnap reconstruction that was made in like the late 80s/early 90s.

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

It's a shame because even through the bad repros, you can tell that Power is good. :(

I really do like Robot more than I should.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Even with the somewhat more promising quality of Jodie's debut I'd rate it below every other post-Regeneration episode of the new series because Tim is such an uninteresting villain that he drags the entire thing down, and the fact he gets to kill a potential companion just feels so gratingly false.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Jerusalem posted:

Also while it was never going to last since she needed the clean break in looks AND I really dug the Doctor's eventual new outfit... but she absolutely rocked the tattered remains of Capaldi's outfit, it was a great look.

:yeah:

I think you and I have been on the exact same wavelength about Jodie's run since it started, and that we're both continually bummed that her run wasn't under a competent showrunner.

https://i.imgur.com/l1QEcKZ.mp4

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

I'd forgotten how Third Doctor she felt at first.

I didn't mind the villain being kind of bland and looking like a rejected Buffy the Vampire Slayer demon, but it does suck that he got to kill a potential companion, yeah. It felt like an unnecessary fake-out. I like the mourning the other companions have to do, but it would almost be better if that was something that had been in process before the Doctor showed up, instead of it being one of the first things that happens in her tenure.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Also, and I know I'm an outlier on this because I think visually at least the Jodie seasons are quite well regarding, but I thought The Woman Who Fell to Earth was absolutely horrible looking. It was so pedestrian and bland, filmed entirely on drab sets (even the Tardis interior ended up being drab and dark) and empty streets. I did not care for it.

Meanwhile Fourteen comes out of the Tardis in such a distinctive (real world) location that's buzzing with people and has a kind of gloss and energy to it that was immediately impactful, compared to the kind of kitchen sink filming of the Jodie years which started right from her pilot.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Shoestring budget vs Disney+ budget

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Infinitum posted:

I think you and I have been on the exact same wavelength about Jodie's run since it started, and that we're both continually bummed that her run wasn't under a competent showrunner.

Yep!

... yep ...

:sigh:

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

The weirdest part of Woman Who Fell To Earth is when uh the guy Tim Shaw's trying to murder kicks Tim Shaw, and Thirteen snaps at him "You had no right to do that!". Like, Tim Shaw was already holding and about to use a teleporter, so kicking him off a crane doesn't actually hurt him since he's not going to land, and his DNA is already melting anyway. Why is harmlessly kicking the guy who just tried to murder you the thing that crosses a line here?

In retrospect, it's an early sign of Thirteen's absolutely bonkers morality.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Lottery of Babylon posted:

The weirdest part of Woman Who Fell To Earth is when uh the guy Tim Shaw's trying to murder kicks Tim Shaw, and Thirteen snaps at him "You had no right to do that!". Like, Tim Shaw was already holding and about to use a teleporter, so kicking him off a crane doesn't actually hurt him since he's not going to land, and his DNA is already melting anyway. Why is harmlessly kicking the guy who just tried to murder you the thing that crosses a line here?

In retrospect, it's an early sign of Thirteen's absolutely bonkers morality.

This felt like one of the few moments where Chibnall acknowledged the Moffat years, and it felt like a response to Twelve's first episode. Unfortunately Chibnall also apparently never watched any more of Twelve so still felt it nessecary to address. Seriously, it's amazing how much Chibnall ignores all the great work Moffatt did moving the Doctor and the universe forward.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

I think Chibnall was just writing the Who he'd wanted to write since 1986. Anything he took from the revival was by accident

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

To be fair, undoing the Doctor saving all those kids from being obliterated by the Daleks so they could instead be brutally and mercilessly murdered by the Master really paid off both narratively and emotionally by... oh wow no there's loving nothing.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

I'm surprised that Woman Who Fell To Earth is held in high regard. It's not terrible or anything, but it's really boring. I will say that it's Jodie at her best dressed in her entire run though.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

SirSamVimes posted:

I'm surprised that Woman Who Fell To Earth is held in high regard. It's not terrible or anything, but it's really boring. I will say that it's Jodie at her best dressed in her entire run though.

If Jodie had been in a suit her whole run it would be the most well regarded era of Who in history, even if all the writing were exactly the same

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
I dunno, the suspenders+jacket outfit is cute. Capaldi had some truly hideous outfits- remember the swiss cheese jumper?

E: this link, despite what you might think, does not display an image of Peter Capaldi hitting some kind of rock bottom in public. It's a picture of him in his Doctor Who outfit filming Doctor Who

2house2fly fucked around with this message at 22:46 on Apr 5, 2024

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
No way, Capaldi’s casual outfits loving ruled. There’s something inmensely cool about CapaldiDoc in particular going full casual instead of just wearing the typical stuffy or posh poo poo all the time.