Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squiggle
Sep 29, 2002

I don't think she likes the special sauce, Rick.

kazil posted:

What about Hidden Object Games? Stuff like the Artifex Mundi games or even the new stuff that's finding a billion cats.

Lister mentioned her eyesight is weak, so hidden folks and the like is probably out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
If she enjoyed Bejeweled, she might want to play more Match-3 games? I'm not really a Candy Crush kinda guy, but I am told moms love it.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
candy crush is designed by evil dark pattern wallet sucking shareholder value gremlins though

Awesome!
Oct 17, 2008

Ready for adventure!

do not push candy crush onto people you love

Lister
Apr 23, 2004

Squiggle posted:

Lister mentioned her eyesight is weak, so hidden folks and the like is probably out.

I'll definitely bring it up since I have some old bundle keys for some of those games. But even then, she uses a 15" 720p laptop, then also plays stuff in windowed mode. I've told her to upgrade, but she has everything the way she likes it and is too stubborn to make a change.

VVVV True, I just know she'll burn through it fast even if she liked them. She's gotten 123 hours on bejeweled 3 in two months.

Lister fucked around with this message at 23:20 on Apr 4, 2024

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

Squiggle posted:

Valid, though HOGs are usually just casual adventure games. A lot of them have minigames you can play to skip the actual hidden objects screens.

Lakitu7
Jul 10, 2001

Watch for spinys
Out of all the Squarelogic/Picross, Bejewled/Puzzle Quest, and Peggle/Popcap stuff, the winner for my mom turned out to be Plants vs Zombies. She put more time into that than any of them.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

StrixNebulosa posted:

ps the setting is weird/interesting because it's a future where thanks to nuclear radiation plagues humanity has partially moved to Antartica, but then more weirdness happened so it's Antartica VS the United Nations, and there's a Command n' Conquer 3 style red zone / green zone / black zone gradiant to the world based on how radiation/plagued it is.

That sounds like a regular collapse not a reverse-collapse.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

The Lone Badger posted:

That sounds like a regular collapse not a reverse-collapse.

let's reverse this collapse like an exploding souffle

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
finished Anomaly Agent and i don't think it deserved its high ratings. i never quite clicked with the combat and the tone felt, i guess you could call it pointlessly snide? nowhere near funny enough to make up for how perfunctory and mean-spirited it was

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

Hogama posted:

Amusingly enough, mob in the sense of large (often disorderly) gathering is also short for "mobile" - in this case, the etymology stems from mobile vulgus, "excitable rabble" or "fickle crowd" (mobile still meant "moveable" but it was used in an emotional sense for the phrase).

That's a great fun fact, I did not know that

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.
Hello steam thread, I have been on a puzzle game kick over the past few weeks and wrote up some thoughts on the new (to me) games I played!

Started off with The Entropy Centre
This is a solid puzzle game! Very easy to summarize too: it's Portal 2 but you have a time rewinding gun instead of a portal gun.
It is, unfortunately not quite as charming as Portal 2, but to be clear that is an extremely high bar to clear. The plot is serviceable enough and the puzzles were pretty good, not super challenging but also nothing egregiously infuriating.
Overall I'd be pretty happy recommending it, it's worth a play. Of course, instead you could always wait for Valve to make more Portal games hahahahahaha
Rating: 75% of Portal 2
Did I cheat?: Just once, needed a hint postgame for one of the collectibles.

Next up was The Turing Test
This is also a Portal-alike and if The Entropy Centre had a overall score of "about 75% as good as Portal 2" then this gets a review of "about 75% as good as The Entropy Centre". Like, the entropy centre fell short on both charm and puzzle design from Portal 2 and then this is another step down in both.
Wouldn't recommend unless you're a fiend for 1st person FPS puzzle games.
Rating: 56% of Portal 2
Did I cheat?: Twice for two of the bonus puzzles. Just couldn't be bothered, really

Following that is The Witness
Like the first two, this is still a first person puzzler. But really, this is a completely different beast: the others have been in the school of Valve's playtester-smoothed nice and compartmentalized design. The Witness DEMANDS you engage with it on its own terms. So yes, it is extremely clever but also it is smug as gently caress.
If we stick to the Portal 2 rating scale, it may well be a better game, even up there with Portal 1! But despite finishing it, it never quite clicked for me. I was progressing well but never fully engaging, if that makes sense?
But I'm pretty sure if you're in the mood for it, if you really want to fight with a game that's being coy and almost adversarial and savour the moment when it clicks and you figure out what's going on and how to solve this bit and beat the game designer, then it's probably unmatched. If you like puzzle games, you probably owe it to yourself to see which side of the line you're on. If you do click with it there's certainly a lot of fuckin' puzzles in it, way more than you'd think jesus it just keeps going.
Rating: 90% of Portal 2 (Average. Individually it's probably anywhere between 50% and 130%)
Did I cheat?: Several times after getting thoroughly stumped and each time I didn't regret it, The Witness you obtuse gently caress
Bonus note: I genuinely enjoyed the bonus timed challenge with the random puzzles. Go figure.

The puzzle game rampage concluded today with The Case Of The Golden Idol
I was very much looking forward to this after the glowing reviews here and elsewhere! Golden Idol is much more straightforward than the others here today. Here's a scene, investigate all the happenings then fill in this sheet with all the correct answers to progress.
The problem? The puzzles are good but it's very short and almost too straightforward. Just as the scenes were beginning to get nice and convoluted the game ended! Luckily, the DLCs make up for that by extending the (interesting!) story and keeping it at what I guess I'll call endgame difficulty throughout so definitely pick those up if you're at all interested in the game.
I'm aware there's Opinions about the art and personally I do not care for the art style at all. However, it's definitely supposed to be grotesque and if I'm honest it fits the story, so I found I could get past it without issue.
Overall I really liked this! However, I didn't think it quite lived up to the hype (mostly due to length, I wanted more!) and so it fell slightly short of it's closest rival, Return of the Obra Dinn.
Rating: 95% of Return of the Obra Dinn
Did I cheat?: Nary a hint used.

---
You must now unlock the silver door. Do so by placing the following puzzle games in each gap to create the correct sequence:
____ > Portal 2 = Return of the Obra Dinn > ____ > ____ > ____ > ____

-The Witness
-The Turing Test
-The Entropy Centre
-The Outer Wilds
-The Case Of The Golden Idol

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Ripper Swarm posted:

---
You must now unlock the silver door. Do so by placing the following puzzle games in each gap to create the correct sequence:

-The Witness
-The Turing Test
-The Entropy Centre
-The Outer Wilds

The Outer Wilds > Portal 2 = Return of the Obra Dinn > The Case Of The Golden Idol > The Witness > The Entropy Centre > The Turing Test

Gromit
Aug 15, 2000

I am an oppressed White Male, Asian women wont serve me! Save me Campbell Newman!!!!!!!

Ripper Swarm posted:

Following that is The Witness
Like the first two, this is still a first person puzzler. But really, this is a completely different beast: the others have been in the school of Valve's playtester-smoothed nice and compartmentalized design. The Witness DEMANDS you engage with it on its own terms. So yes, it is extremely clever but also it is smug as gently caress.

Get yourself some free https://store.steampowered.com/app/1985690/The_Looker/

LLSix
Jan 20, 2010

The real power behind countless overlords

That reminds me. Epic's free game right now is Outer Worlds and also the new Thief.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Ripper Swarm posted:

Hello steam thread, I have been on a puzzle game kick over the past few weeks and wrote up some thoughts on the new (to me) games I played!

---

-The Witness
-The Turing Test
-The Entropy Centre
-The Outer Wilds

Have you played The Talos Principle? If not, I highly recommend it. I bought The Witness and The Talos Principle at the same time. I started out in Talos Principle and enjoyed it, but it felt really full of itself with all the religion stuff. So then I played The Witness which seemed more neutral. The irony is that Talos Principle is actually not full of itself. Sure, it's a bit heavy handed sometimes, but it's a fun puzzle game and also a really neat story about a robot figuring itself out. I played The Witness until it went so far up its own rear end that I got sick of it. The narrative was pissing me off, and the puzzles weren't fun anymore.

I haven't played Talos Principle 2 yet aside from some of the demo, but I intend to get to it eventually.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Yea, every time this comes up I feel obligated to opine that The Witness feels like a poor attempt at what Talos knocked out of the park. The Witness is a textbook example of 'pretentiousness', and I rue all the time I spent trying to connect all the early game quotes.

Nancy
Nov 23, 2005

Young Orc
The Looker is a lot like The Witness and is free also.

e: oop somehow missed the previous post

Nancy fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Apr 5, 2024

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006

Serephina posted:

Yea, every time this comes up I feel obligated to opine that The Witness feels like a poor attempt at what Talos knocked out of the park. The Witness is a textbook example of 'pretentiousness', and I rue all the time I spent trying to connect all the early game quotes.

I should have stopped playing The Witness when it required me to sit and watch a 10 minute video to finally connect a puzzle.

Ripper Swarm
Sep 9, 2009

It's not that I hate it. It's that I loathe it.

Flair posted:

The Outer Wilds > Portal 2 = Return of the Obra Dinn > The Case Of The Golden Idol > The Witness > The Entropy Centre > The Turing Test

:cheersdoge:

Cojawfee posted:

Have you played The Talos Principle? If not, I highly recommend it. I bought The Witness and The Talos Principle at the same time. I started out in Talos Principle and enjoyed it, but it felt really full of itself with all the religion stuff. So then I played The Witness which seemed more neutral. The irony is that Talos Principle is actually not full of itself. Sure, it's a bit heavy handed sometimes, but it's a fun puzzle game and also a really neat story about a robot figuring itself out. I played The Witness until it went so far up its own rear end that I got sick of it. The narrative was pissing me off, and the puzzles weren't fun anymore.

I haven't played Talos Principle 2 yet aside from some of the demo, but I intend to get to it eventually.

I haven't! Added to the wishlist for the next time it's puzzle o'clock.

Might as well note I've also been recommended (but haven't yet got around to buying) Chants of Senaar.

I actually just spent the past hour playing this!

Review:
lmao perfect. simply perfect

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
Chants of Senaar is very good.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Get Void Stranger on that list OP

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

Veotax posted:

The next patch for the System Shock remake is finally dropping on the 11th, if anyone was waiting for it before playing the game. Game will be 25% off then too.

https://store.steampowered.com/news/app/482400/view/4104540932632136261

Big changes are that the entire final boss has been reworked, you can now select a male of female player character and cloud saves are a thing now. Other stuff in there too like new attacks for some enemies and balance changes.

"Mission waypoints have been implemented for (Easy mission difficulty)"

lol maybe now I can beat this without getting so hopelessly lost.

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette

Serephina posted:

the talos principle is an incredible game. beating it felt like the same sensation i got from when i would finish reading a really good book. not like it’s a narrative game… but, it’s just a really good and satisfying journey.

I loved the witness as well. Never got the “pretentiousness” of it but I reached what I thought was the end and left happy. it just felt like a nice vibey island filled with good puzzles and cool art. it got me to watch “nostalgia”!

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Anyone who liked The Witness or wanted to like it should check out The Looker. In addition to being funny it is also a great little puzzle game in its own right! And apparently it made Johnathan Blow mad!

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
oh yeah jonathan blow is a loving a chud now lmao. I just pretend that the rest of the team made the witness while he peed in jars or whatever

edit: jonathan blow is such a chud now that the witness is still not on the switch even through it was ported to the shield, which had the same gpu!!!!

double edit: also I gushed about soma earlier and now it’s $4.49 ok steam’s “lovecraftian” (lol what?) sale. finishing that game was also like finishing a book, but a book that made you sad and quiet at the end and unable to sleep until 3:00am.

god, games use to be good

Automata 10 Pack fucked around with this message at 06:07 on Apr 5, 2024

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

i don't like jonathan blow, liked the witness, didn't really like the looker, I didn't think the 'genuine' puzzles in the looker were all that good and the jokes were kinda just very easy jokes. but it's free so w/e

John Lee
Mar 2, 2013

A time traveling adventure everyone can enjoy

The Talos Principle was a mild miss for me, I'm always surprised that it got such an amazing reception. The puzzles were often solid, but also there were a bunch of tetromino puzzles (not to my taste) and other puzzles that took forever to solve, and the secret (/s?) that required you to scan a random QR code with your smartphone (I did not own a smartphone). Still a decent game, but not one to come back to.

Also, people constantly praise the life-changing philosophical concepts, but it all seemed pretty weaksauce to me - stuff like "is what makes a person their PATTERNS or THE MATERIAL THEY ARE MADE OF??" and "what even is consciousness" with little elaboration.

I hear the sequel fixes most of those issues, though? I've seen some good quotes, and I hear the long-rear end rewind puzzles and Tetris bridges are gone. I'd get it if it were on sale!

...I say, only to discover that it is, in fact, on sale. I hope my decayed and broke computer can run it!

Kevin Bacon
Sep 22, 2010

More like Jonathan Blow

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I remember The Indie Game Movie and Jonathan Blow crying about Soulja Boy. It was very funny.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

John Lee posted:

I hear the sequel fixes most of those issues, though? I've seen some good quotes, and I hear the long-rear end rewind puzzles and Tetris bridges are gone. I'd get it if it were on sale!

There are literal Tetris bridges this time but they're more of a callback than a serious game mechanic. You'll build them to reach the central tower in each biome but they take a few seconds at most, there were only a handful of occurrences that required any thought. The rewind consoles were generally disliked and are gone in the sequel (excluding an easter egg acknowledging as much), I thought the new mechanics they added were a good fit for the underlying sightline/laser redirection style of puzzle.

quote:

...I say, only to discover that it is, in fact, on sale. I hope my decayed and broke computer can run it!

It's UE5 so it can be pretty demanding at higher settings and uses all the fancy new stuff like Nanite. My old computer struggled with it and I had to wait until I upgraded but YMMV.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Jack Trades posted:

I remember The Indie Game Movie and Jonathan Blow crying about Soulja Boy. It was very funny.

Jonathan Blow is an insufferable rear end in a top hat, but he make-a good video james so who's to say really?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think he was crying because Soulja boy didn't understand braid and was clowning on it.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

He's all washed up now so people have been calling him Jonathan Blew.

Propaganda Hour
Aug 25, 2008

after editing wikipedia as a joke for 16 years, i ve convinced myself that homer simpson's japanese name translates to the "The beer goblin"

Cojawfee posted:

I think he was crying because Soulja boy didn't understand braid and was clowning on it.

Understanding videogames is for nerds hth

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Cojawfee posted:

I should have stopped playing The Witness when it required me to sit and watch a 10 minute video to finally connect a puzzle.

This guy didn't figure out the hour long secret movie puzzle

Really though the witness is incredible, it's worth playing just to see how it teaches you things in a game with zero tutorials

wizard2
Apr 4, 2022

Cojawfee posted:

you gotta hand it to him, it was brutal. you would cry too.

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

John Lee posted:

The Talos Principle was a mild miss for me, I'm always surprised that it got such an amazing reception. The puzzles were often solid, but also there were a bunch of tetromino puzzles (not to my taste) and other puzzles that took forever to solve, and the secret (/s?) that required you to scan a random QR code with your smartphone (I did not own a smartphone). Still a decent game, but not one to come back to.

Also, people constantly praise the life-changing philosophical concepts, but it all seemed pretty weaksauce to me - stuff like "is what makes a person their PATTERNS or THE MATERIAL THEY ARE MADE OF??" and "what even is consciousness" with little elaboration.

Shame you bounced off of it, but I will point out the QR thing is mistaken - QR codes exist in-game, but they are all instantly translated when you mouseover them. I've heard it repeated several times here and it's just not right - I think the sole (?) puzzle that needed outside knowledge was a quote about the first moon landing and punching in a clock's time, which despite being ultra-optional was not well received and I suspect that technique was dropped for the expansion Road to Ghenna (I did not solve all puzzles in that expo, they got too hard too fast for me unfortunately). Otherwise everything is solvable in-game, the worst being some fps-instinct secret hunting/platforming for the silly easter eggs.

The philosophy in Talos was... not as deep as a 200-level university course, but still a cut above anything else you'd see in a video game. Very mature monologues on the topics, too, which was nice.

Serephina fucked around with this message at 10:24 on Apr 5, 2024

C.M. Kruger
Oct 28, 2013

Lister posted:

My 73 year old mom had been playing a bejeweled browser game knock off for a few months. I set her up with a steam account, bought her a legit copy of Bejeweled 3 about two months ago and now she's said that she's 100% it. She's looking to play something else and I'm not exactly sure where else there is to go in the causal game genre. Her eye sight is bad so hidden object games are out. I don't want to get her into the micro-transaction hell of candy crush. I'm thinking maybe something like Regency Solitaire, but with how much she plays I think she'd be done with it in a couple weeks. Any suggestions?

Balatro? Though I dunno if the text in the UI for stuff like the Joker card effects would be clear enough for poor eyesight, might be better with the CRT filter turned off.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Lister posted:

My 73 year old mom had been playing a bejeweled browser game knock off for a few months. I set her up with a steam account, bought her a legit copy of Bejeweled 3 about two months ago and now she's said that she's 100% it. She's looking to play something else and I'm not exactly sure where else there is to go in the causal game genre. Her eye sight is bad so hidden object games are out. I don't want to get her into the micro-transaction hell of candy crush. I'm thinking maybe something like Regency Solitaire, but with how much she plays I think she'd be done with it in a couple weeks. Any suggestions?

lady has the soul of a gamer, get her into dark souls