Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dirk the Average
Feb 7, 2012

"This may have been a mistake."

Subjunctive posted:

this part at least is pretty much commodity within the industrial context, although possibly not really the type of steel you want for a bridge

Yeah, metal sintering is amazing, awesome, and really just neat overall. I've had the pleasure of prototyping with it before at one of my previous jobs, and it is just so freaking cool to see.

That being said, you are correct that it's not the type of thing you would use for a bridge, nor is it done on the scale that would be needed for a bridge.

Also, I think my absolute favorite claim was that they could just transport the entire bridge over and plonk it into place like it was a video game. And that somehow that could be done in one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

quote:

After hearing Mark Zuckerberg say that posting the “Our Father” prayer violates their policies, I ask all Christians to follow my lead and post the “Our Father.” prayer
I declare my faith in public. Jesus said: Whoever denies me here on earth, I will deny before my Father who is in heaven. Matthew 10:33
This is the best challenge I have ever seen on Facebook. So if you love Him and you're not ashamed, please join me on this faith challenge!
AMEN
Our Father,
Who art thou in heaven,
hallowed be thy name;
Thy kingdom come;
Thy will be done
On earth as in heaven.
Give us our daily bread
And forgive us our trespasses,
As we also pay them back to debtors,
And lead us not into temptation;
but deliver us from evil. For Yours is the kingdom and the power and the glory forever.
Amen!

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost
I have never heard that particular translation of the Lord's Prayer, but it has amusing implications for Donnie

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

darthbob88 posted:

Presumably from someplace like this company.

I don't think we'd be able to print out the entire 1.6 mile long bridge in a couple of days.

E: Quick back of the envelope math- If it takes 2 days to make a 10 foot structure, then to make an 8,500 foot bridge would take 1700 days, or about 4.7 printer-years of work, plus added time for the vertical size of the bridge. It'd be almost certainly be faster and cheaper to roll the members and weld them the usual way than to try 3d printing it.

Duh, you just press the Turbo button. Do I have to think of everything????

the_steve
Nov 9, 2005

We're always hiring!

Lemniscate Blue posted:

Dunning-Krueger gets misinterpreted and misquoted but there's some truth to the wrong reading. Some people are so arrogant that they assume the things they don't know about a topic must be inconsequential, because if they were important they'd know them because they're smart. This is a great example: this guy doesn't know a goddamn thing about what it would take to build a bridge like that but assumes that there's nothing important to know beyond what he already knows.

In this case he's doubly stupid because he's bought into the bullshit about 3d printing, AI, etc and assumes that it can do what he proposes here.

(This is the same way you get climate change deniers smugly asserting that they can "debunk" it by mentioning volcanoes, as if there's never been any climatologists who study the impact of volcanic emissions on the composition of the atmosphere and include it in their models.)

Look, we all saw the Magic School Bus episode where they built a bridge, it's not that hard.

Electric_Mud
May 31, 2011

>10 THRUST "ROBO_COX"
>20 GOTO 10
I just want to call this one out because it made me snort a Reese's.

Skios posted:

Got an ad for a t-shirt store on my work computer that was certainly... something.

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

Electric_Mud posted:

I just want to call this one out because it made me snort a Reese's.

He must be a proctologist

TremorX
Jan 19, 2001

All Hail Big Hairy Mike

also lol that dude has NEVER actually done any 3D printing

Let's see, 8 hours to print a 2" tall figurine? Do some math, carry the one, and yeah we can squirt out a bridge in like, idk, 2 days

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

The vehicle replicator from Star Trek:Prodigy could turn out a new bridge in about 20 minutes, suck it libs facts don't care about your feelings

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

No, you see, it's also got AI.

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
3D printing also has this problem where it cleaves ridiculously easily when hit at a specific angle I seem to recall

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Silly Burrito posted:

Duh, you just press the Turbo button. Do I have to think of everything????

Nah, you use the 3d printer to print a bigger 3d printer then print the bridge from that bing bang bong.

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
Stop obsessing about the AI 3D printed bridge, it's an obvious joke.

PerniciousKnid
Sep 13, 2006

The Islamic Shock posted:

3D printing also has this problem where it cleaves ridiculously easily when hit at a specific angle I seem to recall

Just point that angle away from the ships

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

Depends on the process, but generally yeah 3D printed objects don't usually have isometric (same in every direction) properties so some directions are stronger than others

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Herman Merman posted:

Stop obsessing about the AI 3D printed bridge, it's an obvious joke.

I think you forgot what site you're at. Goons gonna be gooning.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Instead of saying all that poo poo, it would be more honest to say "I don't have a clue how statistics work or what a balance of probability is."

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan
they act like it's not a binary choice.

"you could believe ANYONE on the subject and you choose to believe the people with education and experience instead of anonymous people online *huramph*"

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

If not scientists and experts, who should I believe then?

YouTube videos!

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.

VitalSigns posted:

If not scientists and experts, who should I believe then?

YouTube videos!

Or in the case of my sister and her husband, a guy on The Joe Rogan Experience.

:smith:

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
I guarantee nobody posting this unironically on social media has ever asked an expert on any politically relevant topic a drat thing about it. Runs the risk of them being told they're wrong in complete, comprehensive detail and then they'd have to think critically for themselves to either change their mind (the horror) or gymnastic their way out of it

The Islamic Shock fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Apr 4, 2024

Herman Merman
Jul 6, 2008
ok Gerald

Hewlett
Mar 4, 2005

"DANCE! DANCE! DANCE!"

Also, drink
and watch movies.
That's fun too.

I guarantee nobody posting this unironically on social media has ever asked an expert on any politically relevant topic a drat thing about it. Runs the risk of them being told they're wrong in complete, comprehensive detail and then they'd have to think critically for themselves to either change their mind (the horror) or gymnastic their way out of it

Not to mention thinking this way allows them to flatter their acute oppositional defiant disorder -- they've taken the oft-sensible notion of "don't accept conventional thinking at face value" all the way to "never believe anything that might make you seem like part of a consensus."

Because consensus is wrong, and more than that, it's boring. And you're not boring, right?

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

They're not even that, if they were knee-jerk contrarians they'd be better people simply because the consensus is wrong sometimes (they'd be anti-war, they'd be prison abolitionists, they'd be for trans rights, they'd have supported gay rights before it was cool, they'd have started masking after the consensus moved to Open Biden, etc)

They're conformists, they just listen to different, religious and reactionary, authorities. It just sounds better to call it "free-thinking" whenever their views are unpopular. And they call it something else whenever their views are in the majority ("cultural values" or whatever)

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
^^^Christian Nation. Common sense^^^

Hewlett posted:

Not to mention thinking this way allows them to flatter their acute oppositional defiant disorder -- they've taken the oft-sensible notion of "don't accept conventional thinking at face value" all the way to "never believe anything that might make you seem like part of a consensus."

Because consensus is wrong, and more than that, it's boring. And you're not boring, right?

It's also like the consensus is what THEY want you to think. If the things that scientists and experts tell us were true, then the media and The People Who Control everything would never let it out. Also, if something like interveticin is being poo poo on and called out, then it must really be a secret cure that "they' don't want us to know since they'd rather we get vaccinated for some secret microchip reason. If the horse tranquilzer worked, the CDC and the like would have absolutely pushed it. "No big deal. Covid is easily cured by this drug"

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I do also love that the "Do your own research and don't believe the experts" people are a perfect circle Venn Diagram of "Why yes I believe that everything written in this 2000 year old book is 100% factually correct"

That sounds edgy atheist but I'm just saying... Skepticism

InsertPotPun
Apr 16, 2018

Pissy Bitch stan

VitalSigns posted:

They're not even that, if they were knee-jerk contrarians they'd be better people simply because the consensus is wrong sometimes (they'd be anti-war, they'd be prison abolitionists, they'd be for trans rights, they'd have supported gay rights before it was cool, they'd have started masking after the consensus moved to Open Biden, etc)

They're conformists, they just listen to different, religious and reactionary, authorities. It just sounds better to call it "free-thinking" whenever their views are unpopular. And they call it something else whenever their views are in the majority ("cultural values" or whatever)
they've spent so much of their time being told "you're wrong, here's the real answer" by people smarter than them that they now equate saying "you're wrong" with being intelligent

and it made them feel bad to be wrong so they equate making people feel bad with being right

"what's 5 plus 5?"
"four"
"i'm sorry, you're wrong, it's 10"
"LOL STUPID! you fell into my trap: you're wrong! who's smarter NOW??"

insecurity and a lack of empathy. plus being, in general, dumb.

there's nothing inherently wrong with being dumb, i'm dumb in a lot of ways, it's when you fight it so hard and make it everyone else's problem where you start to suck. just accept that you'll have to read over paperwork a couple of times and deal.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Medullah posted:

I do also love that the "Do your own research and don't believe the experts" people are a perfect circle Venn Diagram of "Why yes I believe that everything written in this 2000 year old book is 100% factually correct"

That sounds edgy atheist but I'm just saying... Skepticism

Those people have no idea what is written in that book.

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Subjunctive posted:

Those people have no idea what is written in that book.

It's mostly how much gays are bad people. There's one or two things in there about peace and feeding the poor I think.

generatrix
Aug 8, 2008

Nothing hurts like a scrape

InsertPotPun posted:

they've spent so much of their time being told "you're wrong, here's the real answer" by people smarter than them that they now equate saying "you're wrong" with being intelligent

and it made them feel bad to be wrong so they equate making people feel bad with being right

"what's 5 plus 5?"
"four"
"i'm sorry, you're wrong, it's 10"
"LOL STUPID! you fell into my trap: you're wrong! who's smarter NOW??"

insecurity and a lack of empathy. plus being, in general, dumb.

there's nothing inherently wrong with being dumb, i'm dumb in a lot of ways, it's when you fight it so hard and make it everyone else's problem where you start to suck. just accept that you'll have to read over paperwork a couple of times and deal.

“…they engage in wild hypocrisy as an act of domination, adhering to something demonstrably untrue out of spite, because they believe that power belongs to those with the greatest will to take it. And what greater sign of will than the ability to override truth?

Their will is a hammer that they are using to beat reality itself into a shape of their choosing: a simple world where reality is exactly what it looks like through their eyes, devoid of complexity, devoid of change, where they are right, and their enemies are silent.

They are trying to build a flat earth.”

(Dan Olson, In Search Of A Flat Earth)

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Nap Ghost

generatrix posted:

“…they engage in wild hypocrisy as an act of domination, adhering to something demonstrably untrue out of spite, because they believe that power belongs to those with the greatest will to take it. And what greater sign of will than the ability to override truth?

Their will is a hammer that they are using to beat reality itself into a shape of their choosing: a simple world where reality is exactly what it looks like through their eyes, devoid of complexity, devoid of change, where they are right, and their enemies are silent.

They are trying to build a flat earth.”

(Dan Olson, In Search Of A Flat Earth)

These were amazing documentaries by the way, highly recommend them to everyone

Sartre posted:

Never believe that anti-Semites are completely unaware of the absurdity of their replies. They know that their remarks are frivolous, open to challenge. But they are amusing themselves, for it is their adversary who is obliged to use words responsibly, since he believes in words. The anti-Semites have the right to play. They even like to play with discourse for, by giving ridiculous reasons, they discredit the seriousness of their interlocutors. They delight in acting in bad faith, since they seek not to persuade by sound argument but to intimidate and disconcert. If you press them too closely, they will abruptly fall silent, loftily indicating by some phrase that the time for argument is past.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006
All of his stuff is good. Watch all of it.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

Dameius posted:

All of his stuff is good. Watch all of it.

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

I hope you guys enjoy the stuff I post here because my Facebook algorithm thinks I'm an awful person. The comments on this one...hooooo boy. "So true, our country has fallen"

Medullah fucked around with this message at 15:49 on Apr 5, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I have rarely met a Harley owner who hasn't acted like it's a trophy for stolen cool, it subplants their whole ID like a college pothead

cat botherer
Jan 6, 2022
Probation
Can't post for 8 hours!
I wonder if Harley-Davidson has considered making bikes that aren't lovely. That could help with the millennial market.

VitalSigns
Sep 3, 2011

I think it's nice that after thirty years the guy with the fem apron is finally able to come out and live as their authentic self :3:

E: oh wow really bad autocorrect

VitalSigns fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Apr 5, 2024

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

It will be a robot self cooking grill and the people will be Greys with human masks!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Dameius posted:

I think you forgot what site you're at. Goons gonna be gooning.

I...
Hm.

You're not wrong....